Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Best Hokuto Brother?
This poll is closed.
Kenshiro 35 38.46%
Toki 16 17.58%
Jagi 20 21.98%
Raoh 20 21.98%
Total: 91 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

Sharkopath posted:

is pop up pirate a board game

it's more of a toy in my opinion

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

Japanese rearmament was bound to happen and I'm surprised it took this long

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

Animated in japan secretly anime

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

Like how Rankin-Bass's Rudolph the Red-nosed Reindeer is my favorite Miyazaki movie

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

Sakurazuka posted:

Does that make Thundercats anime?

Yes

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

Huh Steven universe just ripped off utena whole cloth

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

Like how Diebuster ripped off Aim for the Ace

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

DoubleDonut posted:

What if... Persona 1 and 2 were ever acknowledged again

They were in 3

And the butterfly is Philemon

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

No

Yes

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

lmao

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

Cake Attack posted:

majora's mask, people

best zelda, completely beats the poo poo out of everything that comes after it

except wind waker which barely gets beaten

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

ZepiaEltnamOberon posted:

My sister gave me the 3DS version of Majora's Mask after she finished playing it a few months back.

I still haven't gotten around to playing it. I've only played 1 (technically 2) Zelda game. The something of Season and something of Ages for the GBC.

Is Majora's Mask really that good?

Yes it is. Best story, best mechanics, best world, best best best

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

Endorph posted:

majora's mask is one of like 2 games to actually achieve a palpable atmosphere and mood

Yeah and all its sidequests are there to advance the theme

i cant think of many more games that do that

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

Normie Slayer posted:

what is the other game?

silent hill 2

for me at least

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

that's one of my favorites, but the mood it creates isn't very heavy imo

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

Endorph posted:

it creates a very heavy mood of Japan.

i realize that sounds like a joke but it's not, it's very Japanese and not in the pseudo-racist 'haha this game is so wacky' way. it's cool.

I think that Katamari and Persona 3 are just as Japanese as Okami, but in different ways.

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

I think Red Dead Redemption has good mood and atmosphere

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

Endorph posted:

hm, yeah, i can see where you're coming from. i think okami has this broad sense of historical/cultural nostalgia to it tho, while katamari and p3 are kinda based in the Now. the ost is really good at milking that, listen to reset ~thank you~ and tell me that isn't a nostalgic as gently caress song. it's probably got less novelty to an actual japanese person who's seen a ton of random historical dramas and such but it still permeates the whole game.

I get where you're coming from. I've been thinking, is there a western version of Okami with the same kind of historical/cultural nostalgia? I don't thikn there is

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

chumbler posted:

TP gets more hate than it really deserves. I mean it definitely has its problems and isn't among the best Zelda games (though MM and WW are practically untouchable), but I think opinion on it mostly comes down to whether its atmosphere hits or misses for a given person. I think it's better to build an atmosphere that doesn't land for everyone (TP) than not really build one at all (SS).

Nintendo promised me dark moods and new and interesting mechanics, but wasn't as dark or experimental as majora

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

Endorph posted:

you mentioned red dead redemption. it's very different, but i think that counts in a sense, too? the wild west is a time period that's super romanticized/dramatized.

red dead is much much darker than okami

if okami ended with perry landing in edo bay it would be similar

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

GorfZaplen posted:

A game that's American as gently caress, in a good way, is A Mind Forever Voyaging.

thought you were going to say manhunter: san francisco

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

what kind of game is shadow hearts, and what system is it for

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

Endorph posted:

jrpg, ps2.

it's a modern horror themed JRPG about a half-russian half-japanese streetpunk named yuri punching demons and vampires and poo poo. roger bacon is a major character. in the second game rasputin is an antagonist. it's got some undeniably goofy stuff, especially in the second game, but the first two games put together form a really cool story.

it's a pseudo sequel to a PS1 horror game called Koudelka, which was super clunky but is interesting enough to be worth looking up on youtube if the urge strikes you. a couple of major characters from koudelka recur, but there's no direct plot connection.

the first game is just called Shadow Hearts, and the second is called Shadow Hearts: Convenant. The third game, From the New World, isn't bad but drastically amps up the goofiness while removing a lot of the horror elements, which is a bad trade imo.

I know Koudelka because it's the survival horror game with music by the Secret of Mana guy

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

Endorph posted:

koudelka is going to be on steam? i thought the rights to all the shadow hearts games, including that, were stored in a pachinko machine somewhere in hong kong

apparently marvelous owns the rights

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

K. Flaps posted:

I'm disappointed Smoking Crow never watched da fwigging flaps stream where I played the first hours of shadow hearts...

i'm sorry i was studying latin

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

Shadow Hearts is expensive now, new copies are $100 and used ones are $50

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

Shadow Hearts was designed by the guy that did the music for Chrono Cross

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

FirstAidKite posted:

Instead, my friend smoking crow will obtain a copy of Okage Shadow King and cheat his stats up or find a way to disable the random encounters so that he can enjoy the game

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

is castle shikigami good for reasons other than the translation

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

http://www.audioatrocities.com/games/castleshikigami2/clip1.mp3

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

http://www.audioatrocities.com/games/castleshikigami2/clip2.mp3

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

Allarion posted:

I never finished most of my Snes and Genesis library because I was bad at games and they were all hard. Also my Sonic 3 battery died so it never saved, which wouldn't matter much considering I got stuck on the barrel like everyone else. I was very consistent in getting to the 2 or 3rd to last level of a lot of games before finally running outta lives. Except Gunstar Heroes, which I actually beat multiple times, but it's not that hard of a game.

I gave up on beating Dynamite Headdy a long time ago

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

omg

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

Bad Seafood posted:

Spoony's definitely gone downhill, but his D&D/Counter Monkey stuff is still enjoyable.

I also liked it when he and his brother reviewed bad movies together. No scripting, no skits, just two dudes talking about a flick.

Spoony's way better when he's just talking about stuff vs. when he's got something set up he has to run through.

people got really mad at spoony's brother bc he's a cop and he did a video review the same day he shot someone

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

Ibram Gaunt posted:

isn't spoony a crazy sadbrain or something i dont watch any of his stuff but my friend likes him

he's bipolar and iirc he said he was going to rape someone over twitter

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

Endorph posted:

at least nobody can be as sadbrained as jesuotaku, the hardcore christian whose boyfriend got her a job moderating the loving anime news network forums

she's a member of the forums here

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

boom boom boom posted:

I watched one of those top ten anime romances videos. Like, 8 of them were from animes that were released in the last five years, and the top one was the romance in Sword Art Online

no one watches anything before the year 2002

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

I like Inuyasha...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

Bad Seafood posted:

Yeah, that's what I was thinking. Some kind of white elephant recommendation exchange.

The trick would be making sure people got stuck with shows they hadn't watched before. I'll have to give the logistics some thought.

i'll do it

i'll run it like i do my secret santa

• Locked thread