Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CatHorse
Jan 5, 2008

pofcorn posted:

I swear I've read somewhere that 1703 would be the last big update, as in, the next updates would not produce a Windows.old folder and be more like regular updates. I can't find that info anywhere. Did I dream this?

Yes you dreamt it. All they said was that the downloads will be smaller for the big updates. Also twice a year March and September.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CatHorse
Jan 5, 2008

Combat Pretzel posted:

IIRC there was talk of delta updates. Right now it downloads a complete image and installs it.

Yes. Delta download then reconstruct image and install. So less data but more work.

CatHorse
Jan 5, 2008

Jan posted:

Is it actually possible to have Windows Spotlight (the randomized pictures on lock screen) without having the dumb text over it? Everything I find from searching either suggests disabling Windows Spotlight (durrr) or changing group policies which don't actually seem to achieve this.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/store/p/dynamic-theme/9nblggh1zbkw

CatHorse
Jan 5, 2008

Snuffman posted:

Honest question, is there any reason to use a Windows Store version of a particular application over the desktop version?

VLC WinStore-ver seems to want to be my "Media Center Experience" which I hate, so I'll stick with the desktop version.

Slack is tricker, seems both applications are the same.

What do you mean by Media Center Experience?

Depends on app. Store version of VLC is quite different internally - for example if you have a virtual network adapter then desktop version has problems with dlna servers.
One big plus of store versions is clean install and uninstall. They can't mess up your system.

CatHorse
Jan 5, 2008

ratbert90 posted:

I just got a surface pro 4. I am normally a Linux and OSX user, so I have to ask: Why is the update process for windows so loving slow and horrible? Why in the year 2017 did it take 10 reboots and three god drat hours to update windows?

Something is wrong with it. Return to store. My MIIx 310 with 32gb of slow mmc took an hour to do an upgrade from anniversary to creators and and about 2 reboots. Similary Macbook Air from yosemite to el capitan also about an hour.

CatHorse
Jan 5, 2008

fishmech posted:

The reason it happens is because they probably ignore all the messages Windows pops up ahead of restart and then lie that it just restarted "out of nowhere".

The worst one is the notification that allows to postpone restart for a week.

CatHorse
Jan 5, 2008

bobfather posted:

I'm pretty sure that was one of the leaked NSA exploits - a (literal) drive-by exploit on Samsung smart TVs that can surreptitiously enable the microphone even if the TV is off.

Not sure if it was show to have been used in the wild.

It needed physical acces to tv's USB port.

CatHorse
Jan 5, 2008

Zenostein posted:

I don't really use windows terribly much, so every time I switch into it my disk gets pegged to 100%, because Windows Update seems to think it's the most important thing in the world and you couldn't possibly want to use your computer while it's updating stuff.

Add to that Chrome and Dropbox and OneDrive and Defender running each their own different updating task at the same time and your poor spinning disk doesn't know how to deal with that.

CatHorse
Jan 5, 2008

baka kaba posted:

Have a look in Resource Monitor if you want to know what files the process is working on
That would take clicking a button in task manager. And as this thread and reddit show: windows users are incapable of doing that.

CatHorse
Jan 5, 2008

nielsm posted:

So far the differentiation has only been licensing for multi-CPU-socket machines and huge amounts of RAM, as far as I know? Just a couple "server features" added to a "desktop" SKU.

They also removed refs support from mirrored storage spaces.

CatHorse
Jan 5, 2008

nielsm posted:

"Reboot" always does a real reboot, i.e. full shutdown and full startup.
It's "Shut down" and then turning the machine on again that will typically do a partial shutdown and fast resume-from-hibernate-like boot.

Not in Fall Creators Update. You need to use alt+f4 and reboot or the shutdown.exe with proper parameters.

CatHorse
Jan 5, 2008

Kerning Chameleon posted:

Is there a way to make the 1809 upgrade not automatically install video driver updates? I tried to upgrade an old Lenovo IdeaPad laptop from 03 to 09, but it keeps installing an unsupported video driver update. The update won't work on the system, causing it to hard crash with severe graphics glitches on Windows boot. I have to let it boot several times to revert the upgrade, then go in in Safe Mode to DDU/Known Good Driver Install to get back to functionality.

Use http://download.microsoft.com/download/f/2/2/f22d5fdb-59cd-4275-8c95-1be17bf70b21/wushowhide.diagcab to hide that particular driver update.

CatHorse
Jan 5, 2008

PUBLIC TOILET posted:

There's this, but I personally haven't reviewed it. I'd rather just run an Enterprise version of Windows 10 and force Group Policy's Telemetry setting to "0".

Note that that analysis is of a version before Microsoft started publishing what they collect (https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/privacy/basic-level-windows-diagnostic-events-and-fields-1809) and GDPR.

CatHorse
Jan 5, 2008

Dylan16807 posted:

The "DST is coming" thing wasn't a notification or popup. It was a line of text in the clock/calendar dialog.

It still is. Settings -> Time & Language -> Region -> Additional date, time, & regional settings -> Date And Time.

CatHorse
Jan 5, 2008

Combat Pretzel posted:

With 1903 they've changed the handling of Zen CPUs. My Threadripper used to drop to 2.16GHz (or whatever it is exactly) doing simple poo poo like watching a Youtube video and nothing else, now it doesn't really go below 3GHz.

Zen CPU's need AMD driver installed for proper power control.

CatHorse
Jan 5, 2008

Combat Pretzel posted:

That's not true anymore for a long time already. Microsoft added direct support somewhen after the release of Zen.

A month ago Zen apu i was setting up required latest driver from AMD to have proper cpu frequency scaling.

CatHorse
Jan 5, 2008
About compression:
32gig mmc devices ship with compactos (uses one of /EXE: methods) by default and I think on those devices it auto enables if installed normally.
I used to play Stellaris on 32/2 atom 2in1. That game greatly benefited from compact /EXE: because it stores its textures uncompressed.
Here is a list of compression impact on various games: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/14CVXd6PTIYE9XlNpRsxJUGaoUzhC5titIC1rzQHI4yI

CatHorse
Jan 5, 2008

Combat Pretzel posted:

The WSL2 that's coming is getting an actual Linux kernel rehosted on the NT kernel. Probably something about passing through certain things.

It's going to be virtualized on "lightweight utility virtual machine". That probably means no other VM software except for Hyper-V.

It seems to be at least third Microsoft project that has thrown away huge amount of code recently. The other being: Edge based on Chromium and .net 5 being based on .net core.

CatHorse fucked around with this message at 00:28 on May 7, 2019

CatHorse
Jan 5, 2008

The Milkman posted:

Symbol input (Win+.) isn't searchable but it's a lot easier to find stuff than opening charmap

It also stutters a lot (in 1903) including duplicating mouse cursor.

CatHorse
Jan 5, 2008

Combat Pretzel posted:

So I'm just logging into Pi Hole after ages, because some domains don't resolve, and I see there's like 1400 DNS requests per 10 minutes, and they all seem to go to licensing.mp.microsoft.com.

What the gently caress now, Microsoft?

Are those requests blocked by pihole?

CatHorse
Jan 5, 2008

Combat Pretzel posted:

Nope. God knows what broke. A reboot fixed it. I'd still like to know what service was responsible, and why.

Probably piholes dns server.

CatHorse
Jan 5, 2008

SwissArmyDruid posted:

For lack of a better place to ask this question, does anyone know if Microsoft intends to get full x64 working on ARM, or are they just leaving it where it is?

Probably not. At least not in the way they do x86. They are slowly bringing hyper-v to arm.

CatHorse
Jan 5, 2008

Combat Pretzel posted:

Does anyone have an idea how to track DNS resolution requests by application?

https://medium.com/@soji256/how-to-get-a-log-of-dns-queries-with-sysmon-330c62712c05

CatHorse
Jan 5, 2008

AlexDeGruven posted:

I heard there were plans to get Office into the store. It's probably related to the UWP stuff, and Office is still a massive messy pig.

Full Win32 Office has been in Store for Years.

CatHorse
Jan 5, 2008

Weedle posted:

There’s a listing for it, but after you buy it it just takes you to a website where you download the installer. Office isn’t distributed through the store.

My 10.1'' 2in1 and 13'' laptop came with Store installed and updateable Office. But Microsoft has discontinued it https://www.windowscentral.com/microsoft-removes-ability-install-office-directly-microsoft-store-windows-10

CatHorse
Jan 5, 2008

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

You haven't directly interacted with it, but unless you've removed Edge.

The only thing Edge uses store for is Extensions. Edge updates come from Windows update.

Also. OneDrive that is installed by default uses it's own independent update mechanism.
The new Chromium based Edge that will start forced rollout on January 15 also has its own update mechanism.
There is also OneGet (installed by default) that is a package manager manager. You can see what package managers you have installed by running get-packageprovider in powershell.

doctorfrog posted:

I miss being able to gather windows or send them to other desktops with a hotkeys combo, but I get it, making things is hard.
There is https://github.com/microsoft/PowerToys#fancyzones

CatHorse fucked around with this message at 20:36 on Jan 11, 2020

CatHorse
Jan 5, 2008

doctorfrog posted:

Does the Windows 10 "Alarms & Clock" app not have a functioning snooze for anyone else? I hit "snooze" and it never re-alerts. Not a huge deal, but I'd expect this very basic feature of a very basic app to work.

"That app is built on top of very robust and tested foundation of UWP. Main features of UWP include: stability, dependability, working 100% of the time and not breaking."

I suggest finding an alarm app that was written before introduction of Windows 8. As everything that uses the modern apis is prone to breakage. The whole foundation of Metro/Modern/UWP is essentially Sinofskys revenge for not becoming CEO of Microsoft.

CatHorse
Jan 5, 2008

Rinkles posted:

Under warranty till August, but now might not be the best time for servicing.

Do a backup and run chkdsk /r a couple of times.

CatHorse
Jan 5, 2008

mystes posted:

It's Microsoft so they'll probably switch to a blacklist or something if they have to. There's no way they'll break compatibility.

Or they can do what they did with DEP: WhitelistAllowlist for Client and BlacklistDenylist for Server. Or leave to the developers to enable.

CatHorse fucked around with this message at 17:55 on Jun 21, 2020

CatHorse
Jan 5, 2008

Taima posted:

and lots of apps either look like poo poo or are insanely tiny.

List the apps. They are probably really old.

CatHorse
Jan 5, 2008

wyoak posted:

Most Windows applications written in, say, the last 20 years, will store preferences (like default scan destination) on a per-user basis, you really shouldn't need to do anything special.

We are talking about printer/scanner software. That stuff was written 30 years ago by lowest bidder using triple outsourcing.

It won't hurt to try running the software from different users and checking if settings are saved differently. But I would suggest using something like https://www.naps2.com/ for scanning documents, and the bundled stuff for art.

CatHorse
Jan 5, 2008

Boz0r posted:

How do I prevent Windows from automatically installing all their new lovely software that I immediately uninstall, like Teams and new Edge?

Teams is installed by business version of Office, so ask your system administrator. And the new Edge is a (clumsily presented) replacement of a system component.

CatHorse
Jan 5, 2008

FCKGW posted:

I have a lifetime license so why not

FCKGW posted:

This was from a while ago but it turns out it was MalwareBytes' fault with 2004. Uninstalling MWB using their uninstall tool, upgrading to 2004 and re-installing MWB from scratch fixed it.

CatHorse
Jan 5, 2008

Edit: default version has at least documents button

CatHorse
Jan 5, 2008

Last Chance posted:

I use my Pi-Hole to block that telemetry traffic and hoo boy there's a lot of it.

If I call somebody, they don't answer and I continue calling every couple minutes until they do. In my phone log it would look like I make many calls, but actually its a single phone call I am trying to make.

CatHorse
Jan 5, 2008

Malloc Voidstar posted:

Unrelated: Anybody know how to determine why Windows 10 2004 isn't "ready for your device"? I want to know if it's because something I'm actually using is incompatible or if it's seeing the presence of some ancient software I have installed somewhere and refusing to install.

Tea leafs or entrails. Maybe https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/release-information/status-windows-10-2004

CatHorse
Jan 5, 2008

jokes posted:

and also to build advertising profiles

Source?

CatHorse
Jan 5, 2008

If you have proof then contact FTC and news organizations. They will be interested.

CatHorse
Jan 5, 2008

Quaint Quail Quilt posted:

I've literally seen an option to disable tailored ads when you install windows, you can opt out some of the stuff so it's like you are opting in if you don't.

Source: I just did a fresh install.

I use open shell and only use edge for video, so it doesn't apply to me much anyway

We were talking about using browser history telemetry for targeted advertisements. Tailored experiences specifically exclude that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CatHorse
Jan 5, 2008

Helith posted:

an't actually see anything that's different at first glance, so it's either backend stuff or stuff I don't use like Edge and Cortana.

They finally decoupled Cortana from search and made it an app.

Get-AppxPackage -allusers Microsoft.549981C3F5F10 | Remove-AppxPackage

Will remove it. And yes most of 2004 is internal stuff.