Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Brave New World
Mar 10, 2010
It's been confirmed that EU << >> US transfers will never happen. This is because Turbine & Codemasters each used similar/identical character database identifiers for each separate group of servers. For example, both US and EU servers would have a character identified internally as 0x2AF3.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brave New World
Mar 10, 2010

100YrsofAttitude posted:

I've finally begun to make my push through central Gondor to hopefully finish the East before Minas Tirith and I've got to say Lebennin is really pretty. There's something tangentially different about Gondor when compared to Rohan, even though they seem somewhat similar (Kingdoms of Men invaded by armies). I don't know what it is, but whereas Rohan seriously began to bore me, Gondor manages to stay interesting and cool to see every time.

That's exactly what I thought too. They somehow managed to amp up the graphical appeal of Gondor compared to Rohan even. And seeing the beacons emitting smoke really conveys a sense that "important poo poo is happening" in a way that no other region has to date.

Brave New World
Mar 10, 2010
Like xZAOx said, Goblin Town is a one of a kind insofar as it's an open world instance.

Anyone that has never run Carn Dum and/or Barad Gularan needs to find a way to run them ASAP. Carn Dum has some really awesome, memorable stuff in it.

Brave New World
Mar 10, 2010

extra stout posted:

Yes and no, what level are you and how many turbine points are on your account? Ever buy any quest packs? Depending on those answers and if you mind running some deeds, you can get to level 48 (entrance to Moria quest line in Eregion) for I don't know... zero to ten dollars?

The Moria intro quest can be(and always should be) started at level 45. That way, you get your starter Legendary Items ASAP. :viggo:

shirunei posted:

I bought moria years ago when things were more lenient for subscribers it is possible to level to that xpacs content without paying money or am i boned?

You only need to cover the range from 33-45. The Epic Quest Line + Evendim quest pack will take care of most of that. Pick out one other zone to buy that will help you grind out the additional XP necessary to get to Moria:

Trollshaws(beautiful, but hard to get around in)
Misty Mountains(snowy and kinda bland, but it includes Goblin Town)
Angmar(Mordor North. Very evil and depressing. Northeastern corner has a lot of group quests)
Forochel(Hoth in Middle Earth. Huge travel distances in blank white snow)
Eregion(Sunny, wide-open with lots of apple trees)

If you really want to spend as little as possible, do as much of the Epic Line as possible(which will take you through all of those zones except Eregion) and base your pick off of your impression of each.

Or alternately, just VIP for a month and use any of those zones. VIP is mostly a non-issue once you hit the expansions.

Brave New World fucked around with this message at 20:21 on Aug 25, 2015

Brave New World
Mar 10, 2010

Valiantman posted:

Several years back, before LotRO became FtP, I played the free month and loved the Shire and the dwarven starting zones. I have no idea about my account and if it's still functional and recoverable but before I even try:

How's the game for someone who'd just now started to play and probably played completely solo and never even reached max level? For comparison, I liked it a lot back then, although I wished I didn't outlevel relevant story quests so fast.

The good news is that if you played on the Turbine-owned North American servers, your *Premium* account is probably still around.

The bad news is that if you played on the Codemasters-owned European servers, your *Premium* account would be irretrievable at this point. The EU servers were brought back under Turbine control, and Codemasters customers were given a year or so to personally migrate their accounts over to Turbine's infrastructure. For legal reasons, there's nothing that can be done for anyone that missed that window. :(

Liking LotRO is determined largely by how much of a Tolkien fan you are. If you liked playing it then, than you'll probably still like it just as much now. From what I hear, only TSW(which I'm currently playing) and SWTOR do better story lines than LotRO does. It's a great game for relaxed solo play for anyone that actually enjoys reading quest text.

Brave New World
Mar 10, 2010
The game costs nothing until at least level 33, so don't let anything stop you from jumping back in if you really think you want to.

Brave New World
Mar 10, 2010
There's a group called The Order of the Tortoise that does stuff like that. I have a 65 Guardian over there that's not moving on until he's completed all of Moria. He's a dwarf, so it's kinda his raison d'etre.

Brave New World
Mar 10, 2010

extra stout posted:

Did you run the raid content between Mirkwood and Rohan? I'm with you on Moria having very cool content, but I can't imagine nostalgia keeping me from the rest of the game. Ost Dunhoth had some really cool raids, I remember killing enemies in a hallway at a rapid speed to avoid being killed by oncoming trained oliphaunts as a way to get end game gear, which was pretty great and hard too. Draigoch was great at the time, haven't been back. And all of the Erebor content was really fun, that was Rohan era content but suddenly all just happened to be themed for the upcoming Hobbit movies, oddly enough while the decision was done for marketing the content was really fun anyway.

Also ruffz are you sure symbols are actually selling at 150, or just listed at 150? I went through 6 to get the axe I wanted, and even recently I've seen people still sell at 70-90g in world chat. If you can actually get 150 then sure people should sell them now and buy cheap later, but I've had people in world chat just give me those and refuse to let me pay because if you run end game content you loot them faster than new players are hitting level 100, there's always a slight surplus that increases the longer an expansion has been out. If you do get one from the epic line I haven't gotten it yet, I forget where I'm at but I think like book 3 chapter 6?

That's Ost Dunhoth - Wound Wing. One of my favorite LotRO memories.

I loved DG's main raid as well, even if I was never on a run that managed to take down the twins. I hope it wasn't my fault. :ohdear:

Brave New World
Mar 10, 2010
I hate to sound negative like this, but they made everything faceroll easy as of the Helm's Deep expansion. Play whatever class is most fun for you because nothing will be too challenging unless you actively seek out orange or red mobs & quests. And even then it's not too difficult.

Brave New World
Mar 10, 2010

Richard M Nixon posted:

I worry about all the role playing nerds on landroval, and Brandywine is likely going to be more populated, but I haven't followed the news enough to know if it's opening up for transfers soon. I thought I saw an faq where a dev said it would open but :iiam:

I just hope we're somewhere bursting with people.

I'm a non-RPer that always roles on RP servers, and in every game I've played(including this one), less than 20% of players actually RP on RP servers And they almost always stick the the obvious RP spots like Prancing Pony, etc. The fears that people have of RP servers are rarely realized.
That said, the craziest of the craziest MMO players will always be some complete nutjob RPer, so it's possible to have an interaction that's spectacularly hosed up, but it's extremely rare to actually have it happen.

Brave New World
Mar 10, 2010
A disgruntled member of the Player Council has spilled the beans:
http://lotrocommunity.com/forum/topic/3664-leixy-banned-from-lotro-update-17-leak-details/?page=1

More big battles with Minas Tirith. gently caress.

Leixy was a very prolific poster on the official forums, so his permaban from the game over this leak is big news unto itself for those of us that actually use the OF.

Brave New World
Mar 10, 2010

bombhand posted:

I'm getting a "no permission" when I click the link; does anyone have it cached to copy-paste here?

It looks like the site's owner killed the thread. he doesn't want Turbine to be mad at him for allowing leaks, etc.

Brave New World
Mar 10, 2010

sassassin posted:

To the literal amazement of the man who designed the system, yes, it is always best to scrap them once you've outlevelled them even a little bit, to use a legacy/xp etc. on a newer, shinier model.

Unless they changed it recently.

Cyrano4747 posted:

Is there some backstory here?

It was HorseDev and temporary Executive Producer Rowan that expressed shock when they found out that we regularly decon LIs every 5 levels. I think it was either JWBerry or Zombie Columbus that actually designed the system, but don't quote me on that.

My install is 20.5 GB. :iiam:

Brave New World
Mar 10, 2010
Yeah, I'll second for Gladden. Goons want to move to a big, active server. If Landroval & Brandywine are out, that pretty much leaves Gladden as the preferred destination.

Brave New World
Mar 10, 2010
Arkenstone was chosen to be the new unofficial Oceanic server, so that's probably why it's seen such an increase in traffic.

Brave New World
Mar 10, 2010
Rhun, or better yet, Umbar.

Brave New World
Mar 10, 2010

ruffz posted:

LOTRO has the best story of any MMO on the market. Most of the fun in the game is leveling, and the game world is so beautiful that you can just get lost in it and not feel like you're grinding. A good thing about the game being 8 1/2 years old now is that there's multiple ways you can go through the 1-85 content. If you want to eventually get another character to 100, you can have at least half of your questing experience be totally different by taking another route. XP boosters can be used to avoid certain patches of content that are kind of dull (Dunland was for me). Once you go through East Rohan, the West will seem pretty much the same. At that point you might be able to just follow the epic quest with XP boosters and get to the point where you can start Gondor a couple levels early (good for a challenge). There's so much Gondor content that you'd hit 100 long before you run out of quests, even if you start 2-3 levels early.

You're right about virtually all of this, but The Secret World blows LotRO away in the storytelling department. I hear good things about SWTOR too(I haven't played it yet, so I don't know for sure).

Cyrano4747 posted:

Just disband it. If someone hasn't logged in in over a year chances are that if they find the kinship was nuked they'll come along and ask here if they want to play with goons again. Meanwhile actually having the old guild name will help anyone who wanders back find us. Renaming it would just create pointless confusion.
I strongly agree with this. It should be disbanded to avoid confusion, etc. Any wayward goons will come here to find out what's up. :)

Brave New World
Mar 10, 2010

Enzenx posted:

Hit me up on steam when you move the kin over and we can get with a gm to do the renaming bit. Steam name is same as here.

Please disband the existing kinship on Landroval to free the name up for the real kinship. Anything else is a needless complication. Anyone that gets disbanded will come here to find out what's up if they don't know already.

Brave New World
Mar 10, 2010

Oxphocker posted:

Would help to know your steam name.....

Enzenx posted:

Hit me up on steam when you move the kin over and we can get with a gm to do the renaming bit. Steam name is same as here.

Brave New World
Mar 10, 2010
Welcome to Landroval everyone! It's definitely one of the better servers, as you'll see. Just make sure not to mention a few things in /World:

Bacon
Harry Potter and the [dumbest thing in my inventory]

I was very pleasantly surprised that I was able to transfer my Silverlode toon over with her name intact. Let me know if anyone wants to run any Moria instances. My 65 guardian on Landy exists just for that.

Brave New World
Mar 10, 2010

Evil Fluffy posted:

Level 100 Elder King symbols are only 30-40 gold each on Landroval? :stare:

Gonna have to craft up a nice shiny 2h sword (or maybe a halberd, but probably a sword) for my Captain later tonight. Might craft several if the first one ends up with terrible built-in stats.

Yet more reasons to always play on a bigger server - a functioning AH and a functioning economy. I bought an Elder King Symbol last winter for the low price of 110g.

Brave New World
Mar 10, 2010

extra stout posted:

On the test server, adding a crafting station to your home was 495 tp,
I'm glad that they're charging for this, because I think that it's a "feature" that does more harm than good. Turbine is in the process of consolidating servers due to population issues, the last thing this game needs are empty crafting halls, or anything else that might erroneously give the appearance of a low population.

Oh, and gratz on the:

extra stout posted:

[Supreme Essence of Physical Mastery]
[Blemished Symbol of the Elder King]
[Tome of Vitality XIII]

Brave New World
Mar 10, 2010

Prince John posted:

Cool, that's good to know. I'm a level 68 LM and I think I was still in Mirkwood, so sounds like I'll just mosey down to Isengard to take a look around and then skip the crap quests and hit the Great River, at least once I've figured out something approaching a sensible build with the new system.

I'm on Laurelin but if I find it empty I'll move to Landroval and give you all a shout, thanks.

You can't transfer from Laurelin to Landroval(or vice versa), so you'll have to roll a new character.

Brave New World
Mar 10, 2010

SettingSun posted:

Hey thread, I'm a completely new player who just got his guardian to level 15 (on Landroval of course). Is there any sort of up to date new player guide? I subbed a month to get the quest packs as well if that matters, because I really like what I'm seeing so far.

Run the epic story. Run all of it. If someone tries to tell you not to, ignore them. The epic story lines are great. Do anything else along the way that looks interesting to you.

Run the Great Barrows instances around 22ish, then run the Garth Agarwen stuff around 32ish. At that point, you'll need to buy the Evendim quest pack and your choice of either the Trollshaws/Misty Mountains/Angmar/Forochel/Eregion quest pack. At 45 you immediately buy the best value option that gets you the Moria expansion, and run straight to the Moria intro quests so that you can get your first 2 Legendary Items - which for Guardians will be a weapon and a belt.

Brave New World
Mar 10, 2010

sassassin posted:

Ignore the epics they're shite.

It's hilarious because you were the person I was specifically thinking of when I wrote that.

Brave New World
Mar 10, 2010

flowinprose posted:

This right here is the correct answer. I would recommend to ALWAYS have explorer as your vocation for your first character (and/or main character). You can then gather the most common materials as you level and at end game, potentially selling them or using them as others have mentioned to give to a kin-mate to craft you something. Save the crafting professions for alts.

And I have to disagree with you on that. :D

Sure, Explorer is an okay alternative if you're the kind of person that doesn't really like crafting in MMOs(and it does make you some good money), but if you actually like crafting(like I do), then find a profession that has good synergy with your class.

The #1 reason for why you want a good profession is so that you can craft your own 1st & 2nd Age Legendary Items. The most beneficial way to level your crafting is by making Guild Emblems. You want to level Guild Rep so you can make the really good guild recipes. Granted, doing it this way is slower than gently caress, but it's the method that has the best long-term benefits.

You're a RK? Join the Jeweler's Guild ASAP. Goons will probably be happy to throw mats at you to help you out.

Brave New World
Mar 10, 2010

Jack's Flow posted:

I am only about to hit the 50s, but does anyone have a good & thorough guide on Legendary items he could point me to? I have to admit that everything beyond re-forging items seems a little overwhelming right now.

You'll be mostly working with purple 3rd Age LIs. Keep your eyes open for the superior teal 2nd Agers, or the far superior gold 1st Agers. Always dump your 3rd Ager for a 2nd or 1st Ager when the opportunity presents itself. 1st Age > 2nd Age > 3rd Age.

Generally speaking, you'll decon your current 3rd Age LI every 5 levels or so when your character levels to 50, 55, 60, etc. for a new 3rd Ager of the appropriate level. Keep 1st & 2nd Agers until a new one of those falls in your lap or you can find a helpful goon to forge one for you.

You'll have 5 LI slots you can equip LIs to on the LI interface. You'll have a lot of 3rd agers drop for you, and you'll equip the ones for your class to the open slots, leveling each one to at least 31 so that you can get a free Legacy when you decon it. Decon all of the 3rd agers that drop for other classes for the juicy relics inside. You want those relics! Deconning trash LIs is a money sink and it's tedious as hell, but you'll be glad you did it when it comes time to build your personal ultimate weapon and fill it's 4 relic slots with some great stat boosters. This is also why you want to level reputation with a crafting guild- so that you can make your own BoP crafted relics(which will always be better than the unbound ones you can buy) and so that you can forge your own 1st & 2nd Agers too.

Brave New World fucked around with this message at 00:10 on Feb 3, 2016

Brave New World
Mar 10, 2010

Evil Fluffy posted:

Uch-Gwirod requires us to give welcome to duvodiad. :shepicide:

While Lotro has always been a bit repetitive with NPCs, I think Isengard is where it became noticeably terrible.

Those lines seriously started to wear on my patience really quickly, to the point where I began hating Turbine and even hating the game a little over it. It was in Dunland that the game lost most of it's "Tolkienishness", having to spend such a huge amount of time dealing with a bunch of ox-worshipping stone age humans that were barely even mentioned in the loving books. Looking back at all the SoA content, you can recall running into little enclaves of Elves, Dwarves, and even the occasional Hobbit all over the place. Dunland had one tiny little Elven secret and then 10 hours worth of redundant cow people apart from that.

And don't even get me started on Isengard itself. They clearly designed all of the boring cow poo poo first, and then tacked on a crappy little Disney theme park minigolf version of Orthanc at the very end of it.

And just when you thought that the 2.5 years of "Duvodiad" poo poo was bad, it was near the end of RoI that we first hear that one voice actor do his Rohirrim lines(including mispronouncing the words "Rohirrim" and "Orthanc") which we had to endure for the next 3 years straight!

"What business have you with the horse lords?"
"Our mission is dire."
"What business have you with the Rohirreem?"
"Our mission is dire."
"Our mission is dire."

...I'm not bitter.

Brave New World fucked around with this message at 10:18 on Feb 21, 2016

Brave New World
Mar 10, 2010

Lars posted:

Is it just me, or is Mirkwood really a step up in difficulty? I'm a tad overleveled from doing everything in Moria, and still not even close to breezing through anything. Stuff used to die really really fast with just Embers-Wizards Fire-Lightning + pet attacks. Now most mobs take upwards of 10-12 spells to kill. My gear is fine, both 2nd age LIs at level 60, and everything generally level 65. Might be just "better" grouping of mobs, but it feels pretty silly.

Besides that, I don't have Enedwaith unlocked - is it any good?

Did you do any quests in Lothlorien between Moria & Mirkwood?

Brave New World
Mar 10, 2010
Buy Great River- most people agree that it's a better choice than RoI.

Then move on to RoR and milk it for every XP that you possibly can. Skip both Wildermore and Fangorn altogether. The problem is, I'm pretty sure that they gated the Epic Storyline through HD, so you may actually have to buy it in order to get to the Paths of the Dead(which was a huge letdown IMO).

If you actually do make it through the Paths of the Dead, you'll find yourself in Gondor, which pretty much everyone agrees is better content than anything in Rohan.

Brave New World
Mar 10, 2010
I held out until it was only $20 and included a TP bundle. YMMV

Brave New World
Mar 10, 2010
Welcome to MMOs I guess.

In LotRO alone I have approximately 20 toons that have made it to around 24-30ish, although 60% of those are pretty much just crafters. Only 8 or so really ever saw serious playtime beyond that.

Brave New World
Mar 10, 2010
All servers are located in the state of New Jersey, so your ping will be the same regardless. Landroval is an excellent server, goons or not, so no worries there.

Warden is by far the hardest class to play out of any MMO I've ever played. They build combos called Gambits out of combining 3-5 attacks with Spear-Scream(tons of screaming)- and Fist. There are so many combinations that someone actually constructed a wall chart for people to use. It's a class that you have to play consistently in order to be able to remember all of your gambits, so you can't walk away for a few months and pick up where you left off like you can with pretty much any other class in the genre. Don't get me wrong, I've seen Wardens do some truly amazing things, but it comes at a price.

In truth, they've made this game easy enough that pretty much any class is good for seeing everything. That said, Hunters(my fav), Burglars and possibly Rune Keepers are likely at the low end of survivability. People forgot to mention that survivability is an absolute given for all 3 of the heavy metal classes: Guardian - standard sword & board tank, Champion - melee DPS, and Captain - buffmeister with a pet soldier.

And don't forget Loremasters too! You can play as Gandalf-lite with a pet tanking for you. LMs are very survivable, although the ranged DPS Minis pump out is higher.

Zephro posted:

I have no ambitions to do anything serious or end-gamey but the world appeals and I'd like to explore as much of it as I can.
This is actually the best way to play this game.

Brave New World
Mar 10, 2010

Zephro posted:

OK, thanks for the advice! One more question, heh - what professions should I pick for a Warden? I have no idea if crafting is any use for a casual player but I vaguely remember there's one profession combo that has two gathering skills? Would that earn me enough money that I could just buy stuff off the AH? Or is crafting the way to go?

The only two good choices for a Warden are Woodworking or Exploring. Woodworking will enable you to make your own spears, javelins, and carvings, and even more importantly, Legendary Items for your class. You can also sell your excess wood. Explorer will enable you to make your own leather armor and sell your excess ore.

Brave New World
Mar 10, 2010
Buy Evendim if you buy anything. Everyone agrees that it's the best choice.

Brave New World
Mar 10, 2010

Zephro posted:

Does the landscape stuff ever get challenging, out of interest? Getting Undying was a cakewalk which is not at all how I remember it

This game got significantly easier as time went by. It was actually a major issue for a lot of people around the time that trait trees were released because suddenly everyone was massively OP and mobs were extremely weak. There were a few people that claimed they quite because of it. They've supposedly beefed it up a tiny bit, and Gondor is a bit harder than older content by default, but YMMV.

Brave New World
Mar 10, 2010
It wouldn't hurt to roll an alt and relive the SoA content. I think that the magic is still there for the most part.

Your current issue stems from the fact that both RoR and (especially)HD are almost universally considered to be sub-par content. Avoid Wildermore and Fangorn if you can. Paths of the Dead also sucks(it was a hugely wasted opportunity), but the game gets better almost the moment you step out into Gondor.

Brave New World
Mar 10, 2010
Do they(or will they) have 105 lvl LIs, or is 100 the highest the system is going to go?

Brave New World
Mar 10, 2010
Both Wardens & Rune Keepers are massively overpowered atm. Minstrels, Captains, Beornings & Champions are really solid. Guardians & Hunters(my 2 favorite classes) and also Burglars are supposedly in the worst shape right now. Lore Masters are good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brave New World
Mar 10, 2010
Just don't roll a human. You already are one IRL and Men have the crapiest starting area.