Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

Gatekeeper posted:

that episode where gul dukat hacks into ds9's FaceTime thing just to wake up kira on her birthday and say "hey you happy birthday kiddo oh and i hosed your mom peace" was good, you guys remember that one? gul dukat was great. big fan, tremendous fan. love him.

Gul Dukat was the best for this and many other reasons, such as becoming a space pirate with his own personal Klingon Bird of Prey

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

David Copperfield posted:

*installs LCARS into automatic toilet lcd panel*

Reminder that the automatic toilets at the Star Trek thing in Vegas said "sample collected" when they flushed

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

blowfish posted:

the plebs are simple minded and cannot deal with people who don't neatly fit into "good" or "evil" categories, or for that matter any sort of further independent thought

unironically

what happened was RDM saw that people were defending Dukat's behavior during the occupation on Usenet using the same arguments you would use about hitler and how he totally needed to kill all the bajorans

Similarly, Nana Visitor had to tell the writers on multiple occasions that no, Kira would not ever fall for Dukat

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Entropic posted:

You're making the classic mistake of trying to think about something in Star Trek rationally. Once you go down that rabbithole there's no bottom. Next thing you know you'll be asking why the bridge is a fragile little hood ornament instead of buried in the center of the ship or how a race of thick-skulled warrior bros like the Klingons managed to invent the warp drive.

I think it was explained Klingons were supposed to have a caste system and we only ever saw warriors, lawyers, and the Klingon Chef.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Avery Brooks was standoffish and everyone else on the ds9 set was fuckin'

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Ambrose Burnside posted:

ive heard rumours that avery brooks got nana visitor pregnant but she didnt keep it, and then later her n alexander siddig got together and had a kid et al, but ive never been able to find a source for it so ive assumed it wasnt true

The ending of the James Bond episode where Holosisko and Bashir were fighting over Holokira was apparently pretty awkward

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

The Klingons got the cloak in exchange for the D7 battle cruiser ship design sometime during the TOS era if I have my :spergin: right. Then the Sino-Soviet Klingon-Romulan split happened and they diverged.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Geoff Zahn posted:

I wonder if anyone has been autistic enough to count the exact number of redshirts killed in each series.

I bet ex Astris scientia has it

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Don't forget that they could make Worf a fake spine out of stem cells but they couldn't synthesize Romulan blood.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

I think my favorite part of season 1 was that their solution to every problem was separate the saucer and activate the auto-destruct

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Yes. And they never forgave Garrett Wang.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

thexerox123 posted:

Wrong franchise...

Zoom in on the cooooock

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Tujague posted:

We have remarked several times that having Dukat call Kira out of the blue to say "I plowed your mom" seemed like a contrived way to jump-start the episode. What we never considered was that he had a LOT of calls like that to make and it took him until season 6 to reach the "K" section.

The first thing Garak did when he got his tailor shop was block calls from Dukat. The second was turn off the ATTENTION BAJORAN WORKERS recordings.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

EvilTaytoMan posted:

I dunno, he did try to stick it in that half-Bajoran daughter of Dukat. :smug:

And in true Star Trek fashion, they had to recast Ziyal with an older actor because it originally came off as a guy in his 40s perving on a teenager.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Figaro posted:

You're right, I don't think Garak showed any romantic interest in Ziyal at all. He just enjoyed the treat of lunching with an attentive half Cardassian gal pal and together they could wile away the afternoon appreciating Cardassian literature and maybe even talking a little bit about Cardassia with someone who wasn't a skeptical Starfleet doctor.

I think even Garak was a bit embarrassed that Ziyal hadn't yet figured out he had zero sexual interest in her.

Dukat certainly thought he did even though he spent all his time saying "girl, I'm bad news, stay away from me"

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Pththya-lyi posted:

IIRC Andrew Robinson always saw Garak as bisexual, so I think Garak is at least supposed to be attracted to Ziyal. Could it be possible that an otherwise-talented gay actor might have trouble pretending to be attracted to the opposite sex? :iiam:

quote:

I started out playing Garak as someone who doesn't have a defined sexuality. He's not gay, he's not straight, it's a non-issue for him. Basically his sexuality is inclusive. But – it's Star Trek and there were a couple of things working against that. One is that Americans really are very nervous about sexual ambiguity. Also, this is a family show, they have to keep it on the 'straight and narrow', so then I backed off from it. Originally, in that very first episode, I loved the man's absolute fearlessness about presenting himself to an attractive human being. The fact that the attractive human being is a man (Bashir) doesn't make any difference to him, but that was a little too sophisticated I think. For the most part, the writers supported the character beautifully, but in that area they just made a choice they didn't want to go there, and if they don't want to go there I can't, because the writing doesn't support it.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Nurge posted:

Wasn't this the actual basis for the traveler bullshit. Who cares about engines and poo poo for traveling. If you believe in it hard enough it'll happen.

Wesley posits that time and space and thought are the same thing and the Traveller says "never say such dangerous things again" because he's right

alt.ensign.wesley.die.die.die

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

The Bible posted:

I'm watching TNG and just got to the very first Holodeck Malfunction episode, and Wesley is saying they can't just cut the power because if they do everyone on the holodeck will just disappear.

So I guess early holodeck technology converted organic life into holograms while the holodeck was running?

I just assume if you cut the power nothing will exist anymore so like if someone's on the third floor of a building they will fall to the ground

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Excelzior posted:

isn't Kate Mulgrew just a raging prima donna that rubs off on people the wrong way

I thought I heard that about her on OITNB

I heard Avery Brooks can be up his own rear end at times (he made everyone call him Mr. Brooks on set) but I don't know about Mulgrew

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

I'm pretty sure Garrett Wang and someone else liked to hotbox the Delta Flyer set together but I forget who

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

The Klingons used a pencil.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

chaosbreather posted:

Everyone is guilty, the puzzle is to figure out who is guilty of what.

this would be baller

Oh you thought Larat planted the bomb in the Klingon restaurant? No, that was Marek setting up Larat using Emon (the Romulan double-agent) as a patsy. Larat dropped the screw in the yamok sauce. Now you've condemned a guilty man to an even worse punishment!

My favorite was when the Cardassian lawyer goes "I won! I won a case! :haw: ...I won a case :smith:"

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

sinking belle posted:

I just remembered Vic Fontaine was a real dude and not a hologram in the mirror universe and :wtc: was up with that

wasn't he a robot? I thought he exploded in a shower of sparks

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Hillary Clintons Thong posted:

wasn't he a huge womanizer too? :allears: truly the 23rd century is the place to be

he banged every female guest star

there's a theory that he assaulted Grace Lee Whitney and that's why she stopped appearing on TOS

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

I am the goddess of empathy

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Janeway got teleported into the Q Civil War, which was interpreted in a way that her puny human mind could understand

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Janeway found a renegade Q, Quinn, earlier in the show. He was a philosopher who wanted to commit suicide after Q being made temporarily mortal on TNG opened up many questions about immortality. On the run from the Continuum, he asked for asylum on Voyager. We got a lovely JAG episode where Quinn summoned Maury Ginsberg, the guy who found a disconnected cable at Woodstock, to tell the court that Quinn gave him a lift to Woodstock and I guess he banged Quinn's girlfriend? Anyway, Quinn was made mortal and he drank hemlock provided by Q and killed himself.

These actions caused the Time War Q Civil War between traditionalists and individualists, where horrible weapons in the Continuum were causing stars to go supernova. Q and Girl Q appear. Q zaps Janeway into the Continuum, where we see the American Civil War. Q is on the individualist side which is losing. His plan to end the Civil War is to gently caress Janeway. Janeway tells him to go gently caress himself Girl Q. He says that's a great idea and they go marching into the traditionalist camp to meet her. She tells him to go gently caress himself and Q and Janeway are sentenced to death. They are saved by Voyager's crew, who flew into a supernova at the suggestion of Girl Q, dressed up in Civil War uniforms.

Q and Girl Q gently caress (by touching glowing ET fingers) and Junior, later played by Keegan de Lancie, is created. The war ends.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

MSN-04 Sazabi posted:

do they even sell kanar bottles that I can fill with booze?

I remember someone tracked them down. It's a spiral glass bottle for selling Chianti wine to tourists in Italy. Sometimes they show up in discount stores as vinegar bottles. I don't think there's an easy way to get one online.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

oh well there you go

they used to be rare for some reason

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

was that the episode where Q straight-up offers to zap Voyager back home and Janeway says something like "we'll find our own way, thanks"?

That was the one with Quinn. Q thanks her and says he'll send Voyager home if she wants. She says no, we'll do it ourselves

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

The Bible posted:

That was only if she would rule against Quinn.

He offers it again in the Q Civil War one even after they were on the same side and she says no again because The Human Spirit

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

EvilTaytoMan posted:

I watched Star Trek Generations recently. I forgot how bad the lighting was for the ship scenes. Like were they trying to cover up the piss stains on the carpet or something?

They were using slightly refurbished TNG sets that looked like rear end on film.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

the culture is Star Trek for people who think Star Trek isn't autistic enough

• Locked thread