Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Chrysophylax
Dec 28, 2006
._.
Re: damage reduction vs big ships:

It depends on the target. The 33/66% is a good rule of thumb.

C1 and C2 multicannons vs a Corvette's hull will do 29% and 49.4% respectively of listed damage. Vs a Dropship they will do 33% and 58% respectively.

Tl;dr there's always some damage reduction going on even at the smaller sizes.

Use the improved coriolis to sperg the actual values for different things out

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chrysophylax
Dec 28, 2006
._.
The new player experience is just terrible. It gets better, tho. I'll echo the invitation to join us in the PGS thread and Discord, we have people whose entire job is to help newbies along!

Chrysophylax
Dec 28, 2006
._.

I wanted to know more but the link refuses to work

Chrysophylax
Dec 28, 2006
._.
Please stop ruining your pythons with ship kits

Have you no sense of decency

Chrysophylax
Dec 28, 2006
._.

Drake_263 posted:

Friendly reminder that refuel costs used to be tied into your ship's hull cost; WHatever the hell you fueled your FdL with, it probbaly involved crushed diamonds. You paid like 80K for a 16-ton refuel. (For reference, a Cobra with its 16-ton tank paid like, 500 credits for a refuel..)

It was a straight up multiplier. The intent was to simulate a larger fuel tank than the ships actually carried.

Smells like a hack. They probably didn't want to impact the tiny, stupid-rear end jump range some of the ships had. Glad it's gone, didn't make any sense.

Chrysophylax
Dec 28, 2006
._.

Parkingtigers posted:

Watching this game from the outside for 3 years, waiting for PS4 (only 26 more days, holy poo poo) and my eyes are very open to the total lack of endgame. Thing is, it looks so easy with all the tweaks and stuff to skip over so many of those early game ships. Unless a player knows not to, there's no reason to not leap straight from a Sidewinder to a Cobra Mk III on their first day playing now. While hungrily waiting I've watched a bunch of "I just got this game" streamers and they all seem to jump over the Hauler, Adder, even the Eagle. Makes me sad that in a game with sound design as rich that some ships might never get played.

My plan is to go in, and take it as slow as possible. Enjoy making my own stories, and as described earlier "head canon" the gently caress out of it. I just want to focus on the moment to moment stuff of being in space, shooting some stuff, looking at pretty planet vistas, and running some missions that fit the character I'll be roleplaying.

I'm not trying to tell you how to play the game, just using what you said for my argument.

People skip over ships on the way to vulture-tier because the progression is completely broken and has been since 1.3 (June 2015). Originally you had no choice but to use every single ship on the way up because you made so few credits that spending a week on each ship was a reality.

What changed around then was that bounties started paying a literal, no hyperbole, no bullshit, 1000 times more, and a savvy player could go straight from the stock Sidewinder to a middling Cobra in as few as 5 ship kills.

The pay increase came in part because killing ships actually cost you money. Bounty hunting was an activity you'd do that was entirely sponsored by trading and people didn't like this much.

It's been nearly two years since then and we still haven't seen a rebalance of ship costs, payouts or both. They managed to fail completely at both ends of the scale: you can skip over half the ships in the game in a couple of hours if you know what you're doing, but by the time you have every ship, earning a rebuy for the top end ones takes multiple hours because pay doesn't scale.

This is one of the reasons why I encourage everyone to just bite the bullet and grind out enough money to never have a problem again and just treat the game as a sandbox.

Chrysophylax
Dec 28, 2006
._.

Silver Alicorn posted:

I encourage people to try out multiple ways of playing the game before committing to a huge expensive ship. Missions, rare trades, exploration, all of which can be done in small starter ships. Working up to an Asp is a pretty reasonable progression without going overboard on exploits. Get sentimental about your ships.

I should've mentioned that I only encourage when people start grumbling about post-Asp progression

Chrysophylax
Dec 28, 2006
._.

Krycek posted:

I still wanna know why this persisted for over a year without a fix. Fdev acts all indignant now that the secret got out but it's their own drat fault. Purposely leaving something like this in the live game for this long is tantamount to condoning the cheating. Any half decent dev team patches this poo poo out of the game the second they find out about it. This is "call the guy who coded this poo poo and get his rear end in here, I don't care if you have to wake him up! And we're taking the game offline until it's fixed" territory.

It actually surprised me that they actually went through with their threats :psyduck:

Chrysophylax
Dec 28, 2006
._.
The travel in this game becomes boring after only a few hours, with no way to speed it along. Any amount of travel, in or between stars systems is almost entirely downtime with nothing to do - and personally, adding things to do would not alleviate the issue for those who just want to get to a place fast.

Compared to Elite 2, travel is way, way slower. Its flight mechanics are much superior, but more involved than Freelancer's.

Chrysophylax
Dec 28, 2006
._.

Sultan Tarquin posted:

Viper4 is hot fat garbage.

Wrong

Chrysophylax
Dec 28, 2006
._.
Don`t edit my posts because I make a joke about girls who can`t park their spaceships manually.
I don`t care for your feminist`s telling me how to talk. Bull. I can make jokes about men I will make jokes about women too.

We`re getting tired of you feminists and idiot mangina bs for wimmins. Learn to take a joke.

And if you bann me that just proves my point of where society is going. You feminists wreck our games just as you`re slowly wrecking society.

Chrysophylax
Dec 28, 2006
._.
https://forums.frontier.co.uk/showt...eships-manually

It got nuked instantly, at least

Chrysophylax
Dec 28, 2006
._.

Ak Gara posted:

For the life of me, I can't do that thing where you rotate around your target to stay out of his line of fire. He always rotates as quick as me. I think "maybe I need to get closer", but then he just shoots me more.

:spergin: ahead

This isn't really possible in this game in most situations*.

Ships have complete freedom of movement and pitch is any ship's second strongest rotation. Combined, this means that a ship is free to move away from you as you attempt to describe a circle around it, meaning it has a smaller angle to rotate to face you and you have a much larger distance to traverse at the same time.

Just imagine that 'r' is increasing and what that means for the length-of-arc S.

*You can get a few moments to just unload it all on a target, mostly vs the largest ships, if you get really *really* close *and* you have a major speed and acceleration advantage.

Chrysophylax
Dec 28, 2006
._.

Ak Gara posted:

It's pitch rate is over 61 what-ever-units they are!

Degrees per second

Chrysophylax
Dec 28, 2006
._.

Einbauschrank posted:

I'd be curious to know wether that build still exists after the rollback of some exploits.

I get what you're saying here but the people doing the exploiting typically weren't explorers.

It's also not hard to get 60-ish.

Chrysophylax
Dec 28, 2006
._.
Last I checked, this formula was still valid.

Chrysophylax
Dec 28, 2006
._.

GutBomb posted:

I went on a 7K ly random loop exploration trip all in open and didn't have any trouble with getting ganked. In fact I have been playing this game for about a month and haven't destroyed a ship yet or even been fired at. Is ganking really that big of a deal?

Admittedly I'm only exploring and that will probably change soon because I just returned to the bubble because I have 100% with the federation for selling tons of exploration data and want to get a sol permit. I think I'm going to be doing a bit more than exploring pretty soon and I'll probably need a new ship for it.

It's a problem in CG systems to people who forget this is a multiplayer game that has guns players can use on other players.

The "problem" is that people want to see other players, have a chat, but not get shot at. The NPC police is ineffective so people complain, and we end up with a slightly ineffective rebuy system.

The actual problem IMO is that they designed a multiplayer game without either encouragements or discouragements for PVP, and expected people to have some sort of weird honor system. The ships themselves are not balanced - all the traders are paper thin or slow, sometimes both - so it ends up being a huge mess.

Chrysophylax
Dec 28, 2006
._.

Chrysophylax
Dec 28, 2006
._.
:smith:

Kudos on surviving the station on the way out tho

Chrysophylax
Dec 28, 2006
._.

chaosapiant posted:

If that's true, which is dumb, but if it's true then what am I when I pilot my fighters? Am I still physically on my ship?

Yep. Just TPing to the fighter

Chrysophylax
Dec 28, 2006
._.

Asimov posted:

The fact that the devs allow Hutton Orbital to exist (and it stocks rare resources now?) reveals a good deal about the design mentality of this game. Supercruising for the better part of an hour in a straight line is kind of like... the opposite of quick time events. I think I'd rather "HOLD F" to quick-jump to the station.

Alpha Centauri was a bit of a meme even back in the day. So I don't really care that they let Hutton exist.

That said, other stations in the rear end end of nowhere don't make a lick of sense, and no ammount of 'muh immersion' will change my opinion. poo poo, the brown sea dads even admit they'll go brew some tea or what have you during one.

2.4 is bringing with it a 'distance from star' thing for missions, and missions will scale with that distance.

Chrysophylax
Dec 28, 2006
._.

lemonadesweetheart posted:

The thing I don't really get is if you can FSD to one star in a system why the gently caress can't you do it to others in the same system? Is there some bullshit that explains this? If you could just pick the star you wanted to FSD too it would cut down on all the messing.

You have to feel the vastness of space in your bones commando doesn't matter if there's nothing to do for up to 50 minutes it's immersive and furthermore

Chrysophylax
Dec 28, 2006
._.
The worst thing about Cannon is the army of sycophants that surrounds them.

It's uncanny and I've never seen anything like it in all my years of gaming

Chrysophylax
Dec 28, 2006
._.
As far as I'm aware EDMC is a fan project that reverse engineered the ED companion app for iOS.

There is no official API from frontier and afaik they're not interested in making one.

Use EDMC at your own risk, tho I'll add that I've never heard anything bad come from using it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chrysophylax
Dec 28, 2006
._.
Was there any doubt? They were not going to redo USS just for this. This is :frontear: we're talking about

• Locked thread