Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

I am an oppressed White Male, Asian women wont serve me! Save me Campbell Newman!!!!!!!

Fork of Unknown Origins posted:

How far out do you need to go before you start consistently finding unexplored systems? I've found a couple around red giants but the more promising ones are, predictably, explored. I'm going 'up' and around the galaxy instead of toward the middle. I haven't gone very far yet, I'm just wondering when I might start hitting pay dirt.

I headed out to Pleiades and it was all scanned. From there I headed out to the rim but got stuck in dead-ends and quickly tired of that. Then I did a Google search for black holes and found one that was about 7kly away and headed out there. Almost every system was unexplored on the way (I expected the hole to be visited already, and it was), and on the way back to inhabited space I've only just started seeing explored systems now I'm less than 800ly away from people. I'll be interested to see what I make on exploration bounties after a round trip of 20kly or so with two-thirds of it virgin territory.

I'll do something similar when I do it again - go out some distance and then angle back in on a target so I'm off the beaten track.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

I am an oppressed White Male, Asian women wont serve me! Save me Campbell Newman!!!!!!!

Rectus posted:

Yeah, gimme my window Garfield and Aisling hug pillow waifu co-pilot damnit.

Or just make the game moddable and let the community sort it out, even if it's just a simple system of letting players add custom meshes into the cockpit.

Here's a free license to print money, for which I'll only take a modest cut: make it so that when you activate your docking computer an inflatable autopilot expands in front of you and takes the controls.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

Well, I'm finally home after a trip out about 7500ly. Headed down to Pleiades first until I hit the rim, then searched Wikipedia for black holes and found one called V404 Cyg so decided to fly out there along the spiral arm. Once I got there I then pointed my nose back at populated space until I found a station to dock at.
Thanks to my roundabout way of getting out there I hit a lot of unexplored systems, but didn't discover anything I think would be worthy of a second visit. As you can see, exploring netted me about 13m credits, and seeing as I never play for very long in one sitting it probably took me a few months of play. Not lucrative, but it jumped me 3 Explorer ranks if I actually cared about that.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

I submitted a bunch of exploration data at Bava as a part of the community goal (the first one I've ever tried) and then went off for a long trip out to nowhere. I've just now got back to the station where I got the CG - how do I know what I got for that data? Is there anything I need to do to finalise the process?

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

Main Paineframe posted:

After the CG ends it will remain in your Transactions tab with completion details until the reward is collected. However, the reward will automatically be collected and delivered to you after two weeks, so now you don't need to do anything but it's too late to see what you earned.

Ahh, this must be what happened. I don't really keep track of how much money I have, but it looks like maybe I got handed 8 million or something (so top 25% looking at the rewards list online).
Thanks for that info.

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

Sultan Tarquin posted:

Ugh I shouldn't have waited this long to jump into the engineers stuff. Tried 5-6 different barnacle sites and they're all broken or guarded by capital ships. There's no meta alloys for sale on obsidian orbital so I'm going to have to fly back and get my combat ship or fly back and re-fit my exploring ship for combat which is still a 600LY round trip just for one commodity.

I've never done any of the engineers stuff, but want to give it all a run to get some upgrades. Is there a guide to where to go and what to do and what the rewards are? Or do I just go to them on my galaxy map in-game and live the whole mystery? I'm good with either, to be honest.

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

MC2552John posted:

OK so my HOTAS doesn't work so I was wondering if this game is worth playing with keyboard and mouse, or if a HOTAS is basically required.

Most people play with keyboard and mouse and it's really good. A friend plays with a 360 controller and really likes that, too.

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

I've not done any Engineers stuff yet, but have just got back to the bubble from a 10kly out trip. Am I best off taking that cartographic data to Felicity Farseer (along with some meta-alloys to start) to rank up with her really quickly, or wait for a community goal for it to make mad cash?

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

I'm convinced to visit Felicity. Like I said, I'm new to the whole Engineers thing so I just wanted to make sure I wasn't just wasting it on her. I might even have enough to max out one and get a healthy start on another if more than one of these guys accepts this data.
Thanks!

e: or maybe drop it on Elvira as she provides the same upgrades but also unlocks Qwent?

Gromit fucked around with this message at 11:31 on Aug 19, 2016

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

Gromit posted:

I'm convinced to visit Felicity. Like I said, I'm new to the whole Engineers thing so I just wanted to make sure I wasn't just wasting it on her. I might even have enough to max out one and get a healthy start on another if more than one of these guys accepts this data.
Thanks!

e: or maybe drop it on Elvira as she provides the same upgrades but also unlocks Qwent?

I ended up ranking Elvira to 5 and Felicity to about 5% of the way from 4 to 5 with just the exploration data, so that went pretty well. 20m space bucks worth.

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

Sultan Tarquin posted:

https://coriolis.io/outfit/asp/0p0tdFfliddsnf5------02---3e0n0243v62i2f.AwRj4z2HWI==.MwBjIJgRnWPUNTCA?bn=Asplorer

This was my bog standard explorer ship before Engineers. You could swap around a couple of things like no cargo rack or better thrusters for planetary landings. Now a days you could probably get 50LY jump range out of that thing.

If you can't think of anywhere to actually 'go' a nebula sightseeing mission is always fun. The last time I went exploring I went to the Dumbbell Nebula > Veil Nebula West. Very pretty stuff.

I drove my standard multirole Asp 10kly out and then back on my last trip. I could have pimped it for jump range++, but seeing as half my reason for flying out there is to scan systems I'd be looking at less of them if I could jump further on each hop. I mean, I didn't go nuts and limit myself to 7ly jumps or anything - I wanted to actually get to a destination before I died of old age. This would be different if I wanted to get somewhere and only do stuff when I arrived, of course.

For my first long trip out I Googled for where we think black holes are IRL and searched for their names in the galaxy map. One was about 8kly away so I took a quick jaunt off the beaten track and then headed for it.
If I could teleport myself back to the bubble I'd go to Sag A* and further, but I like to play with friends every now and again and that's tough to do if I'm 800 jumps away.

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

Kurr de la Cruz posted:

:siren: ENGINEERING GUIDE UPDATE :siren:

I just want to add my thanks for you doing this - it's greatly appreciated. I recommend adding a link to it on every post you make about the subject, though.

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

Toxic Fart Syndrome posted:

Reinstancing is enough to get cartographics to show up! Switch modes to solo (or open if you're strange), or jump to another system and back.

Quickest is to log off to main menu and back in again. No need to change what type of game you're playing, either.
Or are you telling me there's some way of changing between solo and open without going back to the main menu?

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

If I want to know where I am in-game without actually starting up Elite, is the last system listed in the latest log file in "Elite Dangerous\Products\elite-dangerous-64\Logs" going to be accurate?

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

TomR posted:

I got pushed into top 99% with 902 tons. I only did two runs though so I didn't really waste any time. Also I already have space money.

Aw poo poo, don't say that. I squeaked out 1050 tons or so to get to 50% and called it a night. I'm thinking I've almost tripled my net worth and now it sounds like I got small change. Robbed!

I wanted to haul more stuff but couldn't find an easy way of working out where to go to get a full load. I ended up going back to my Asp as I couldn't find more than 50 tons or so of the stuff only 1 jump away.

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

Mehrunes posted:

Same but I also pee my pants. Is that a dealbreaker in this game?

Until they model ship interiors with toilets, we all pee our space-pants.

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

I did a trip out to about 10kly and back and used it to buff up my rep with 2 Engineers. Got one to level 5 and the other to 4 and a bit. Pocketed about 20 million in cash, too.

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

Blind Rasputin posted:

Are the Python and anaconda buyable without some government rep?

I just bought a Python after a 138m CG payout and have no rep with anyone. I did, however, go to one of the cheaper systems to buy it and saved 5 or 6 million.

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

Mailer posted:

The part you're missing is you flip the mission board (switch back and forth between Open and Solo) over and over until you have a hold full of deliveries. The lower the weight the higher the price per ton, but anything 100k/ton or over is fine and will keep you from going insane flipping boards. Initially it took ~90 minutes to flip boards enough to fill an Asp Explorer (108t) with missions from Sothis. Now it takes me (with Allied in factions) ~75 minutes to get 408t of cargo flipping the board at Ceos. Depending on how much they double up on locations this means in the neighborhood of 60m for a total 2.5 hour stint.

60m in 2.5 hours is great earning, but I don't think I could spend that time just switching in and out of solo/open and checking the mission board. That would drive me mental.

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

Mailer posted:

Taking just over an hour to scam missions is still a lot better than spending an hour finding an Anarchy system at war, fifteen minutes traveling there, then flying in circles for another hour before bugging out because you found the one inhabited system in the galaxy without a single USS.

Not for me. I'd rather be fruitlessly flying about, landing, scooping, scanning and whatever else than clicking the menu buttons over and over again. Then again, I don't need the money. Just A-fitted a new Python so I need to build up a stock of materials for the Engineers to get some sweet upgrades. Now that I've said that I realise I will have to grind missions for those weird material rewards, drat it.

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

lockdar posted:

I tried Elite out yesterday with just a mouse and keyboard but just couldn't find a decent way to control my ship. What are other people's experience with M&K? Is it better to buy a flight control stick or am I just really bad at flying stuff...

I have friends who have full throttle setups, use an Xbox controller, or M&K. It seems fine on all those.

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

Morter posted:

the org?

Sea Org. Scientology are all over E:D because they get to fly space DC8s and pretend to drop slaves into volcanoes.

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

FileNotFound posted:

Edit4: Station4 will be a delay - 3,300ly's from entry point
Edit6...Smith Reserve is 54,364ly away...that'll waste some time...

I was nodding and thinking "no poo poo" until I realised you meant ls, not ly.

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

TorakFade posted:

I just got a mission to smuggle 40 slaves from ceos to sothis for 3.5 millions :stare: this place is pure gold

Is the smuggling technique of choice just long-range line up on the slot and power in there, or shut down systems and go silent and power in there?

Mr. Crow posted:

They should also rework the open, private, solo system. They're all online and sharing the same universe anyway so implement some PvP/PvE flag (handwave IFF technology) instead that prevents 'negative' player interactions buy still promotes seeing other players and cooperative gameplay, giving desperately needed life to the universe.

I only ever play in a private instance as there is a small group of us that like to play together. Sometimes the system has trouble putting us all in the same instance when there's only 8 of us so I hate to think how bad this would go with pubbies in the mix. The wing system could do with being a bit more robust, too.

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

Gort posted:

Thing is, the engineer bonuses are really good, so you don't want to miss out on them. I could go exploring in a 23 LY-range Asp, or I could grind engineers for a bit and go exploring in a 40 LY-range Asp. I'd be kind of silly to not invest a bit of time in order to get a result like that.

For exploring, higher jump range only helps if you actually have a specific destination you need to get to in a hurry. If you just plan to point at a random location and scan systems all the way, a longer jump range means you see less stuff. I guess a longer range gets you out into the wilderness quicker so you can put your name on stuff, but it's not like you have to go far for that anyway.

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

Oh hey, just made a cool 7.7 million on the latest CG. Nice for only an hour or two. Then I get ambushed by pirates as I investigate a USS and they kill me about 1 second before my FSD is charged. There goes 7.5 million in re-buy. Easy come, easy go I guess.

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

10kly is the farthest I've been with my Asp, and I don't think I had it up to 30ly jump range. The only time that affected me is when I headed out of the bubble away from the core to the edge of one of the spiral arms. I'd say it works so long as you don't want to go where there are hardly any stars, and who'd want to?

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

Well, there's no accounting for the space-mad.

On SRV-chat, I remember hating the controls a bit until I went looking for other people's control methods. I don't remember what I had to change, but turning off the drive assist and making it so I have to hold a button down to maintain speed really helped, along with remapping some of the thruster controls so I can use them more easily. Now I can jump over gaps and soften landings, as well as correct my facing in "flight". Driving became a real treat.

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

timn posted:

The first time I read his description I thought he said he was interdicted by a Farragut battlecruiser, which would be pants-shittingly awesome.

And a battlecruiser should just be able to press an interdiction button and bam, you're dropped. Mass-locked out the whazoo.

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

Mr. Crow posted:

I feel like as the game continues to grow well almost assuredly get player owned stuff. Obviously probably never full blown stations and maybe not even outposts (although both would be super cool as part of some larger player faction overhaul that is nothing like EVE), but the original elite let you own like mining platforms etc so I don't know why they wouldn't eventually do it.

Especially when they get the walking around stuff implemented, you'll have to have housing etc.

That's probably like 5 years away though at least.

I think you and I have very different ideas of what "the original Elite" means. You couldn't do any of that back in good ol' 1984.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

This isn't about Elite, but you might be amused by it. A few years ago a friend in my group bought us all ships in Star Citizen. A few of us bought more, but I was dubious and just forgot all about it. Recently one of the guys said we should play it and me and another suggested this was unlikely because there was no game to play. He was a touch indignant and asked if we'd actually bothered to look for any game. Maybe he was a bit salty about my referring to it as a scam all the time.

So 5 of us patched it and loaded it up. We wandered around a shopping plaza but were not able to get all of us in the one instance. I managed to push an NPC shop keeper out into the street, but those characters were client-side so it wasn't that interesting to anyone else. The gun-shop claimed to have a firing range but it didn't, so I couldn't even try out some guns.

After that we decided to try the ship-flying part, and once again failed to get more than 3 of us in the same instance. After interminably-long load times two of us clipped through the floor, one dropping into space. If the 24-player-max instance filled up before you loaded you were stuck in the loading screen forever. I finally got outside and jet-packed around, while another guy called up one of his ships. By the time he got to it a griefer had rammed it until it turned into loose parts. We spent 2 or 3 hours all up accomplishing nothing and I asked if we had spent enough time "looking for the game" yet.

I'm not suggesting Frontier are amazing, but holy hell you can do a lot worse.

• Locked thread