Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Wolfechu
May 2, 2009

All the world's a stage I'm going through

Well, time to set course for Frog, then.

Not sure how many jumps away I am.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wolfechu
May 2, 2009

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Been thinking about giving the FDL a try, but man, that jump range...

I tried the fdl and went back to a vulture/python combo for about the same price. It has the grace and agility of the python, combined with the cargo space of the vulture. Nice looking ship, though.

Wolfechu
May 2, 2009

Natsuumi posted:

It remembers all costs paid, ships and components, as that's how it determines your insurance rebut cost.
Wait, are you saying that if you buy a ship at a discount the insurance is cheaper?

Wolfechu
May 2, 2009

Cpt. Murphey posted:

I've had the same thing happen to me quite frequently while landing on planetary outposts.

Not just planets, I had this happen in a station the other day. Is it just me as well, but is the docking computer a bit janky since horizons? It gives no fucks about hitting the landing pad hard enough to register damage on the Shields - which I suppose doesn't matter now they recharge fast when docked - but it also seems to get stuck 'in queue' outside stations a lot when no other ships are doing anything.

Also came out of sc a few days ago practically inside skvortsov station, and whanged off a few exterior walls before I could do anything. Was like landing in a running tumble dryer.

Wolfechu
May 2, 2009

Dongattack posted:

Is there a trick to understanding where the docking port is on those giant cube stations? I see there are some arrows, but i can't figure out how to read it.

It's also always on the side rotating around the pole anticlockwise, if that helps.

Wolfechu
May 2, 2009

Shine posted:

Python supremacy, then!

Pretty much. I actually traded my conda back in for a python because it's still a bruiser that can trade AND land at outposts. Until I'm ridiculously space rich, it's pretty much my go to ship from now on.

Wolfechu
May 2, 2009

Shine posted:

Python was my go-to "bigger than the Vulture" RES stomper, but now that I'm using the FAS for that (one C3 beam, everything else frag cannons), I turned the Python back into a miner, which it also does very well.

Yep, done this in the past too. The python seems better sized to have a big rear end refinery and tons of drones, whereas the asp always feels too cramped and under-equipped. Whenever I feel the urge to mine, I do a quick refit and I'm off.

Wolfechu
May 2, 2009

Helter Skelter posted:

It's actually better in most respects, but falls short in one critically important aspect: It's slow as gently caress. The Mk3 is the fastest ship in the game in a straight line, the Mk4 is one of the slowest. Like, "has trouble catching up to bulk transport craft that aren't the Type 9" slow. There are several ships that would handily outrun it even without boosting.

The Type 6 isn't that much more expensive, and even that's way faster while holding more cargo (better jump range, too).

Has anyone here taken the keelback for a spin yet? On paper, it sounds like 'type 6 with better guns and more maneuverability'.

E: nm, I ran the numbers on this, and for what I was thinking of doing, and the spare cash I'd have, the asp Explorer pisses all over it in terms of range and cargo space. At about three times the cost, but hey. General brown sea/reddit consensus seems to be 'might be interesting when fighter bays arrive', with a dash of 'ooh, vtol engines, shiny!'

Wolfechu fucked around with this message at 00:16 on Dec 21, 2015

Wolfechu
May 2, 2009

KakerMix posted:

Potentially, the basic one you have has a limited range, the target planet must be outside it.

EDIT
You also don't need to assign a hotkey to re-select your route, you can select it manually from the left hand menu, just select it normally (it will have the route icon next to it) and your route will resume when you jump into that system.

This also has a keybind, called 'next system in route' or something, defaults to o or 0.

Wolfechu
May 2, 2009

Cao Ni Ma posted:

So I have a hauling asp right now and it has like 116T of transport, I like it because I can land in outposts. Usually things like slaver missions have a big payout and they take you to outposts which are really easy to just drop off and find something new to do.

I have enough money to get a Type 7, would straight up hauling between stations provide more resources for me than losing access to outposts and their goods/ slaver missions? Would it be better to grind the rep and a few more millions to get a iClipper? Should I say gently caress the hauling life and get a combat vulture?

This. Grit your teeth and press on. Neither the type-7 or the iClipper can land at outposts; in fact, I don't think there's anything suitable for large hauling that can between Asp and Python.

Plus, the python kicks rear end.

Wolfechu
May 2, 2009

OK, screw it, I'm doing this Jacques thing tonight. Almost have the itch to explore for a while anyhow. Anyone got a ready made build for a conda doing this, or do I just wing it? I'm guessing as light as possible, good scoop, afm, heat sink, and maybe a detailed surface scanner.

Wolfechu
May 2, 2009

Main Paineframe posted:

With an empty cargo hold, zero mistakes, and no stopping to scan anything, it takes around eight hours to get to Jaques. By which I mean eight straight hours of active playtime in which you are heading straight there as fast as possible. Even longer if you load up your cargo hold with poo poo to carry out there. It is really far out! If you've never explored before, Jaques isn't a good first trip.

Yeah, it's what, about 22k ly? I've done the sag a* run before, but in an asp. I'm estimating a laden conda stripped down will get a similar jump range.
And thanks guys, I'll check that build out tonight!

Wolfechu
May 2, 2009

BMan posted:

But seriously dude, have you considered NOT spending a literal entire day doing nothing but pressing "engage hyperdrive" repeatedly?

Been there, done it, got the tshirt at Sag A ;) It's actually fairly soothing if youre catching up on TV shows in the background. At least I think so. But then, I'm the guy who liked fishing jn Wow.

Wolfechu
May 2, 2009

BMan posted:

Personally I find that aggravating because you have to stop your ship from crashing into a star once per minute.

Does the tab out to set acceleration to zero thing still work? I don't really use it much.

Wolfechu
May 2, 2009

Shine posted:

Try mining, if you haven't. It's hella space chill mode. Basically Elite's fishing.

Yep, mining's super chill, and feels like money for almost nothing. If it weren't for the occasional random space rear end in a top hat (NPC or PC), I wouldn't even arm my ships, I'd just be mining, exploring, and trucking.

Wolfechu
May 2, 2009

... Jaques has a large landing pad, right? I can't even describe how mad I'd be if I got there and it's an outpost like sothis.

Wolfechu
May 2, 2009

Rectus posted:

The outfitting at the engineers usually sell the same kind of modules the the engineer upgrades. The ones that upgrade your engines also sell special size 2 and 3 Racing Engines, and Palin sells size 1 corrosion resistant cargo racks.

How well do those work? I mean, does this give you an erode-proof ship for hauling a few tons of UAs, or does it just slow them down?

Wolfechu
May 2, 2009

Slashrat posted:

I'm pretty sure I read the xkcd "what if"-article on this place

e: found it

Just in case no-one's getting the direct reference (which would have been me about 2 weeks ago):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZP7K9SycELA

Wolfechu
May 2, 2009

I never knew I even wanted instant ship transfer until the brown sea started bitching about it. Now I want it more than anything. The added bonus of so many literal slaps in the face is wonderful.

Wolfechu
May 2, 2009

I actually got sucked into that megathread and tried to engage with the brown sea. Seems to be like pissing in the ocean.

I do worry for the people who find instant ship transporting so game breaking, because I suspect when multicrew stuff hits as part of Horizons, some way or another it's going to have to deal with players joining and leaving groups on a single ship. If they're upset now, they're going to be on suicide watch then.

Wolfechu
May 2, 2009

Tippis posted:

I don't know where it sits on the “realistic” scale, but the FSD I got on that one gives me ~25 Ly fully laden — I seem to recall that I got lucky with an added fuel use bonus, but I also have a few lightweight upgrades that help. The only combat fit I've ever used for one is that neo-classic mine setup. :D

But really, the main upside of the Python is that it's the undisputed king of multirole. There are other ships that will do more/better in a single aspect, but they will all have downsides elsewhere. It's not the smallest and nimblest ship ever, but it's not the beached whale you get with a Conda or above and it still carries a sizeable load of weapons or cargo and it only needs universally available medium landing pads. Also, its module slots don't suffer from the under-sizing you see in many other ships — your power plant and distributer will let you fit and use sensible things; your FSD is perhaps top-class, but you're far from a horrible <10Ly single-system-hopper.

Mine's more or less A-fitted and armed with triple gimballed pulses/small turreted multicannons, and I feel comfortable killing anything smaller than a FAS. Jumpwise, I'm a chucklefuck at engineering and probably could get it better, but it's getting like 29.5ly unladen and about 25 with 200+ cargo.

Other than that, everyone else is right - it's the best multi-role ship in the game. I've sold my python in the past and always ended up going back to it.

Wolfechu
May 2, 2009

hakimashou posted:

Ya i have been posting in their thread, i think some of them have the worst kind of austism.

It's also the stupidest loving poll, where you can tick as many choices as you want.

Wolfechu
May 2, 2009

Tippis posted:

Hopefully, it'll go down the same route as the Engineers: lots of talk and hype and discussion and then… absolutely pitiful usage because it turns out that artificial barriers are stupid and don't create good gameplay. So they'll scratch their heads as to why only 0.05 ships per player were transferred on average over the first few months in spite of it being such a heavily anticipated feature. And then they change it because maybe the initial implementation was a bit daft.ignore it forever like Powerplay and CQC.

Wolfechu
May 2, 2009

Toxic Fart Syndrome posted:

Also FD should tell us the whole story of E: D already; I don't have time to wait until they dole out "clues." It really affects my gameplay, not knowing what's going on.

So is whatshername, Avril, still Space Empress? I thought that was going somewhere end of last year.

Wolfechu
May 2, 2009

So someone on the Facebook elite dad's group posted a lovely jpg of the cost to move an FAS to jaques... 61 hours and 4.5 billion credits. Just take a moment to appreciate those numbers.

Wolfechu
May 2, 2009

Efexeye posted:

isn't the Blue Danube on the docking comp an homage to 2001?

Yes, unequivocally.

Wolfechu
May 2, 2009

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

have a thing for those long range exploration missions:
http://www.spansh.co.uk/

Not sure if this saves you time, but it's definitely less boring.

Wolfechu
May 2, 2009

Propagandist posted:

One thing that I'd like to see is a set of pilot "skills" or "traits". Instead of the entirety of the game revolving around money, allow your pilot to have some kind of ability to fly or perform better after hundreds of hours of play.

The trouble with this is, the end result would be basically that new characters would fly or perform 'worse' somehow. Don't suggest to them they should make controls less responsive or something until you've 1000 hours flight time, or we'll be grinding that bastard next.

There's probably something somewhere they could add here, but I suspect it'd feel like a lack at lower levels rather than a bonus at higher ones.

Wolfechu
May 2, 2009

I must be doing something wrong, I still enjoy the game.

*zooms away in his chrome Cutter*

Wolfechu
May 2, 2009

That they keep choosing stations >20kls from the landing point is so obviously a giant "gently caress you" to the casual fan base.

"Oh, you want to enjoy some of the limited content we created: have fun with 20 minutes to an hour in super cruise, ya know, just cause!"
:smugdog:

20kly only adds like 5 minutes in sc , it's not Hutton or anything.

Wolfechu
May 2, 2009

jnnnnn posted:

but it's still pointless tedium

Elite: Dangerous - Tedium Is Perfection

Oh for sure. But still, if you're gonna gonna find the travelling in a Spaceship part of the game tedious, well

Wolfechu
May 2, 2009

Good Dumplings posted:

Agh, nobody hates traveling in a ship you dingus! Docking's good, mining's not bad at all because those loving rocks keep spinning and the limpets are dumb as balls, tooling around on planets is neat. Those things are traveling. It's all the waiting while your ship does nothing that people hate.

Eh, Don't mind me, I'm still in an explorer mindset, where the travelling is kinda the point, and if you're wanting to scan something 100Kls away in a system, it's a minor irritation.

Mining is chill, though that always seems more time consuming to me than in-system travel. Shoot rock, wait five minutes for the limpets to gather poo poo up, repeat.

Docking, gently caress that. I'm able to dock manually if needs be, but I always have a docking computer. Docking's when you check Facebook and the like.

Wolfechu
May 2, 2009

Mimesweeper posted:

Seriously? Landing and taking off at absurdly unsafe speeds is super fun, you're really missing out.

I have to be in the mood, really. Usually I'm carrying something like 600t of cargo, so I'd rather let the ship do the part where I slam into the side of the station. It's slightly better at docking than me.

Wolfechu
May 2, 2009

It's not even that complex with the Christmas cg. Someone at FD sat down with an excel sheet and picked the words frost, Santa, and klaus.

Wolfechu
May 2, 2009

So, um.... is this real?

http://xboxclips.com/DP%20Sayre/ba5a8340-5ee6-42e9-8a34-a763076e80d9/embed

If not, someone's making a lot of effort to fake it. An actual, flying alien ship, that apparently knocks out your power for a while.

E: More poo poo about it on reddit: https://www.reddit.com/r/EliteDangerous/comments/5m9dtq/thargoids/

Wolfechu fucked around with this message at 23:26 on Jan 5, 2017

Wolfechu
May 2, 2009

Libluini posted:

I'd say it's real, since it actually matches the organic looking alien crap we've been finding very well. I think it even looks like the non-crashed version of the crashed alien ships. If that's a fake, it's the best made fake ever and that guy should be employed by Frontier immediately.

FD are already sharing it on Twitter, you know they've been waiting for it to jump out at someone. https://twitter.com/EliteDangerous/status/817135524213297153

Wolfechu
May 2, 2009

Good Dumplings posted:

Calling it right now, the ship is invincible and the only interaction with aliens is a hauling CG

I bet they'd love some galactic guidebooks.

Wolfechu
May 2, 2009

StarkRavingMad posted:

It turns out that Skimmers are distant relatives to Thargoids. Also Thargoids have time distortion powers, and the instant they see you, they rollback all money and assets you acquired from killing Skimmers, out of vengeance.

I figure the same tech that pulls you out of hyperspace will also make any combat loggers persistent. FD thinks of everything.

Wolfechu
May 2, 2009

Cutter: Clearly Compensating
Python: Gravitas Deficiency
Exploraconda: One Jump Behind

Wolfechu fucked around with this message at 19:21 on Apr 13, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wolfechu
May 2, 2009

And a very special thanks to our glorious benefactors in Diamond Frogs for making my long dream of a galcop sticker come true! :frogbon:

Wait, how'd you get that? I didn't think they'd handed those out since the Dangerous Games.

• Locked thread