Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
xiansi
Jan 26, 2012

im judjing all goons cause they have bad leader, so a noral member is associated whith thoose crasy one

Personaly i would quit the goons if i was in cause of thoose crasy ppl
Clapping Larry

frank.club posted:

No see the orca is a luxury cruise ship that serves a niche that is not now nor will ever be implemented.

Honestly, how hard would it be to introduce a new class of mission with 'passenger' rather than cargo requirements? Doing this badly & cheaply with the current mission system would be very little effort, and would at least tick that box.

For now though, the Orca is a prestige ship, the one to show that you have 'made it'.

I.E. having 100M+ left over after buying all the ships you might use for anything effectively.

You can fly an ExplOrca too. Whilst it can't jump for poo poo, it's the stylish way to see the stars! You just need to roleplay that you are chilling with your space concubines in the luxury jacuzzi cabin, rather than getting very smelly & going slowly mad in a cheap & nasty Lakon rustbucket.

The WAAAGH! OrKa is the combat variant, used primarily for ramming. With its high speed, and vaguely phallic shape it has maximum comedy annoyance value.

It's also hilarious to pirate with - it's more than capable of dealing with dedicated trader ships, and, well, no one expects the YaaarOrca.

Still, mine will be the first thing I sell if anything else expensive and actually useful appears.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xiansi
Jan 26, 2012

im judjing all goons cause they have bad leader, so a noral member is associated whith thoose crasy one

Clapping Larry

Beautiful stuff. Reminds me of something:

"In 1972, a crack commando unit was sent to prison by a military court for a crime they didn't commit. These men promptly escaped from a maximum security stockade to the Los Angeles underground. Today, still wanted by the government they survive as soldiers of fortune. If you have a problem, if no one else can help, and if you can find them....maybe you can hire The A Team Diamond Frogs."

Literally Kermit posted:

Btw i do have some basic trade routes laid out, it's a three stop loop at 1890 a ton profit more or less. Is that good?

Edit: guess it isn't the best, but it is pretty quick, all stations are less than 30 ly from each other.

If you are really lazy you can trade between two of the stations in 63 G. for 700 a ton :eng101:

Fittingly, our HQ system's chief import is COFFEE :black101:

When grinding some cash for my Orca I used this trade route, and barely dented the supply/demand - it's a bloody good one. Very near 63 G Capriconi too. If anyone has lots of money, but still needs more, have at it:

LFT 37, Savinykh Hub (375Ls), Imp Slaves <--> Teaka, Valdes Hub (71Ls), Beryllium

Abusing the Torval slave discount like a boss. I'd have taken the 2.5K+ profit on the slaves alone as a decent round trip profit earlier on in the game, but the return journey will get you 1500-ish per ton too. Stations are pretty close to stars. Downside is they are 50LY apart, which is 3 jumps in a stripped down, all-cargo* Anaconda (maybe can get it to 2 in an Asp?). You get the odd pointless interdiction, but it's insane money if you can haul a lot with a good jump range.

*well, almost all - 464 instead of 468. I bought a docking computer! Never thought that would happen, but for the loss of ~12K profit I get to not have to faff around landing this thing manually.

xiansi fucked around with this message at 02:30 on Sep 16, 2015

xiansi
Jan 26, 2012

Clapping Larry

KakerMix posted:

Yeah I know that but right now at EGX Frontier and Valve are real close with the Vive and Elite. Using the game as a VR demo, giant banners with their names on it, that stuff.

Elite is one of the very few AAA games that has released and makes good use of VR already, and is rather spectacular & pretty looking. Also probably less likely to make you sick because of being sat in a chair. I would imagine that anyone making VR tech is throwing money at :frontear: to promote them and make sure E:D works with their headsets, and they are equally happy to take it. Everyone wins! Hopefully.

Gestalt Intellect posted:

I have no idea what is happening when and how much it will cost to which people anymore

You and me both. It's basically Microsoft volume licensing levels of WTF-ery.

I have the lifetime pass thing from being in the beta, so should get everything, but I see they stopped selling that a week or so *before* announcing a lot of cool stuff, so can only assume it's rewarding the 'faithful'.

Tell you what though - £5 to have Braben's epic jawline 'bobbling' on your cockpit would be considered an absolute pisstake in any sane universe. But then we live in a universe were Star Citizen 'exists', so who knows...

xiansi
Jan 26, 2012

Clapping Larry

I am more than willing to try and discover new metalloids by exposing things to the gas emitted by MY ARSE.

Plz bring gold. 'Ordinary' gold will suffice. Have a mug. :ughh:

xiansi
Jan 26, 2012

Clapping Larry

chaosapiant posted:

What's the consensus on reverse throttle controls on a HOTAS? I'm currently using my X52 as a full range forward throttle, with a reverse toggle button for reverse thrusters. Looking at Youtube vids of folks mastering FA mode makes me think that having throttle forward/half reverse might be better, as well as free up the toggle button for something else. I hope these words make sense to space nerds.

Pretty sure there's no consensus. I struggled with working out the best way to do this. Still not sure.

Am using a Warthog throttle, but it's the same principle - do you go zero in the middle and the obvious forward/backward thing, or the whole range of the throttle for magnitude, and a 'reverse' toggle?

I went with the second option, mostly 'cause it's more car-like, but what we really need is a throttle with a huge range, and a noticeable centre stop-point. Sadly, throttles are modelled off plane controls, which can't fly backwards...

xiansi fucked around with this message at 22:30 on Oct 6, 2015

xiansi
Jan 26, 2012

Clapping Larry

Adult Sword Owner posted:

Finally got into a Cobra

gently caress this separation. I can't hit anything with both lasers at once. Back to the Viper.

For straight up fighting, Viper > Cobra. Unless you run away a lot.

Then you need money for a Diamondback Scout, and then an Imp Courier...wish I'd had all those options for early-game combat ships at launch - you are spoiled!

xiansi
Jan 26, 2012

Clapping Larry

ps am no frog posted:

The best part of buying a new vulture is when the giant rear end hardpoints open and you see the teeny tiny class 1 laser sitting there.

The best part of buying a new Fer-de-Lance is equipping a class 4 cannon in your *massive* slot, and watching the animation.

The worst part is the ~5M loss you take when selling it back, because the Vulture is much better.

Jury's still out on the Fed Assault ship. It's very fun to fly, packs crazy fire-power, but has tissue-paper shields.

Also, less ugly than the Vulture, though that's a low bar.

xiansi
Jan 26, 2012

Clapping Larry
Guy goes out exploring, runs out of fuel, calls the Fuel Rats, makes song about it:

https://soundcloud.com/elementz_360/hotel-dalgarno-fuel-rats-parody-of-hotel-california

This is really good.

xiansi
Jan 26, 2012

Clapping Larry

frank.club posted:

Oh poo poo people not in their 40's are enjoying the game gently caress!

Oi! I'm in my 40s, and I remember the original Elite (the one you could *save* and reload in after a fuckup no less, even if it was on a cassette tape...), and I resent that.

:frontear: are idiots for pandering to the fun-hating arseholes who measure their self-worth by how much they enjoy suffering a tedious video game, but they come in all ages.

Hell, back in the '80s when we had no internet, and game discussion happened in this place called the 'school playground', anyone who found a cool shortcut/exploit was a hero, and you were damm sure it wasn't going to get nerfed!

xiansi
Jan 26, 2012

Clapping Larry

Romes128 posted:

So im in an eagle and can kill stuff no problemo (except for the larger ships of course). I'm just supposed to fly around looking for bounties? Cause I've been going from station to station in different systems and I'm either getting really low payouts or nothing I can do at all cause I'm just starting out. Any advice?

I am guessing killing for money is the way you want to play. Don't just fly around. Look for 'resource extraction sites', which you find in metallic planetary rings. Scan ships that show up, anything that's wanted - take it out. If it looks really tough, wait for the cops to help.

Get a kill warrant scanner too if you can fit it & scan targets before killing 'em for a bit more money. And don't forget to cash in at a station every now and again - you die, you lose it all!

If you're really brave (in an Eagle anyway) you could try a combat zone. You'll definitely get more fights-per-minute, and whilst the payout is worse, you will gain combat rank faster, which opens up better paying combat missions, and they can be good money once you get to be competent+.

Chrysophylax posted:

It's not a terribly effective fighter, but it's nigh unkillable and really loving fun to fly, it moves like it doesn't weigh 1400 tons

Oh come on. And it *is* effective, just not a fighter.

xiansi
Jan 26, 2012

Clapping Larry

Romes128 posted:

Thanks. I was going into conflict zones and able to take out a few fighters, but would get killed before I was able to jump out by the big ships.

Didn't know about the resource extraction sites, I thought those were for mining. Also thanks about the kill warrant scanner. I'm trying to read through the guide to learn about all the equipment and stuff, as well as the OP and the private servers thread. It feels like learning X3AP all over again.

Learning is the best bit.

Seriously, if you are flying & shooting things in an Eagle (that you will soon be upgrading), and just getting to grips with how it all works, this is as good as the game gets.

You'll be a bitter veteran moaning about nerfs before you know it. Enjoy it while it lasts!

xiansi
Jan 26, 2012

Clapping Larry

Vire posted:

So I was thinking of picking up this game after getting the itch again from rebel galaxy but recently I have heard a lot of negativity like there isn't much to do in it after a while and that I should wait for horizons. I saw a video a while ago on smuggling and a dude evading scanning into a station by turning off his life support. That seemed really neat but then I recently heard smuggling has been nerfed to hell and not worth doing anymore? Should I bother with this game?

I am playing Rebel Galaxy, after getting a bit burned out on Elite, and there is no comparison.

It's in 'space', sort of, and there are ships you can improve through trade & combat. But that's it. Rebel Galaxy is trying to be Diablo in space (look at who developed it), with super cool music, and it does what it goes for very well.

Vire posted:

there isn't much to do in it after a while"

Define "a while". You will take days, if not weeks just to learn how to fly lovely starter ship properly. There is easily 100+ hours of fun gameplay to get to a decently equipped mid-range ship and have a good grasp of all the game systems, and that's without touching multiplayer. It will become a grind eventually, but you'll get your money's worth.

That said, if you don't own the game yet, you should definitely wait for Horizons, it's out soon, and includes the base game, so is a much better deal.

xiansi
Jan 26, 2012

Clapping Larry

LCL-Dead posted:

gently caress that. The ability of solo or PG players to have just as much influence as players playing in open, the mode designed to take full advantage of everything the game has to offer, is bullshit.

Being able to gently caress off on your own and flip the bird to anyone who even in the slightest amount may work against you is the carebear dream and needs to die.

gently caress that indeed.

I'm as carebear as you can get, and that ain't my dream - I give zero fucks about changing the numbers in background, and wouldn't care at all if my actions in solo had no effect.

I just want to be able to chea...er, I mean mod some of the stupid decisions away (hello ammo count) when playing solo.

xiansi
Jan 26, 2012

Clapping Larry

8-bit Miniboss posted:

Anyone got a decent overear headphones recommendation? I need something to mount my EDtracker on and the cups on the Sennheiser HD 202's I bought earlier are too small for my ears to fit comfortably despite it being marketed as overear.

I'd use my Bose QC15's but the limitation of battery, me taking it almost everywhere out of the house and the band on top being soft doesn't make it a good choice for me.

If by 'overear' you mean big-rear end, would not wear in public headphones, then this person:

PadreScout posted:

I'm a huge fan of my Audiotechnica ATH-AD700s.

They're super light, super comfy- like .. wear all day and don't even notice comfy. They also sound pretty amazing.

is right. I have a set of Audiotechnica ATH-AD900X, which is probably the same kind of thing, and the numbers are mostly just rip-off the audiophiles marketing nonsense.

The important thing is they are open headphones, which means everyone else can hear your stuff, so don't use anywhere that'll make people nearby want to punch you .

These things absolutely own for playing Elite, and anything else. They are crazily light & comfy, and you hear all the (imaginary) sounds of space in superb detail.

A TrackIR headset attachment thing fits almost perfectly (with a few added mm of any random spongy stuff) on the springy cable things that hold headphones together, though not sure how EDtracker attaches.

xiansi
Jan 26, 2012

Clapping Larry

White Imperial chairs, gently caress yeah!

xiansi
Jan 26, 2012

Clapping Larry

Mike the TV posted:

Holy gently caress

Wait 'til you see the base shields. 713 I think it was.

And I could cram in 792 tons of cargo with everything stripped off.

It looks nice, sounds great (though what doesn't) and handles much better than an Anaconda, though that's a low bar.

They weren't lying about getting stuck in the slot though, I had to do the logout trick to launch. gently caress knows how I'm going to get back in...

xiansi
Jan 26, 2012

Clapping Larry

tooterfish posted:

The most serious offences are traffic violations though, they react really badly to those.

"Loitering is an offence punishable by death"

Seriously. The timer is quite generous, but this is some hardcore dystopia where space-parking is serious business.

xiansi
Jan 26, 2012

Clapping Larry

Danknificent posted:

I've been reading the wiki for like the past half hour. All I've heard over the past few weeks of following the SC stuff is "E:D is good, but it has no content."

But it looks like a lot of stuff to me.

No 'endgame' content. Which is an MMO thing I guess.

The content is learning how to fly (and park) spaceships in space, and fight, trade and explore with 'em, whilst earning money to buy better spaceships.

And just gawping at how amazing space looks.

If you wait a bit and buy Horizons you'll get driving space buggies on planets as well, though no one knows how good that might be yet.

xiansi
Jan 26, 2012

Clapping Larry

Stanko-Prussian posted:

It beats them launching it and, i dunno, it crashing every five minutes and ships flying off into space from physics errors and none of the stations rotating correctly and everything shaking, something along those lines maybe.

Yeah, but like that thing you're on about, it's at "2.0" now.

Elite hasn't even got 1.5 out the door to regular players yet. Slackers.

Shine posted:

A beta being delayed for a few days isn't a kick in the nuts unless you have weird nuts.

Slap in the face, surely?

xiansi
Jan 26, 2012

Clapping Larry

Adult Sword Owner posted:

Wait what does this mean

The most badass sound effects (which is saying something in this game) and general whoah-ness - if you haven't seen a capital ship arrive yet, go out of your way to do so, and turn up the volume.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Q577IXxFpQ

xiansi
Jan 26, 2012

Clapping Larry

jaffyjaffy posted:

About how much should I be looking for credit wise until I trade up out of the Sidewinder?
I like the ability to do a bit of everything so the Cobra is really tempting, it just really expensive comparatively.

Enough to buy the new ship, equip everything at least 'D' grade, and maybe 10% left over to pay off the insurance.

And if you want to trade, enough left to buy cargo too.

Don't try and get straight to a Cobra using a Sidewinder. If you like killing, focus on getting an Eagle, or for trading/smuggling, a Hauler.

For just about managing to do 'everything', the cheapest option would probably be an adder like this, so about 250k+.

And sell/downgrade all the ship's equipment before selling the ship.

xiansi
Jan 26, 2012

Clapping Larry

Bastard. Here's my exciting beta screenshot:

xiansi
Jan 26, 2012

Clapping Larry
While you lot enjoy your space porn, and I have a progress bar, I...actually went and touched the poop:

https://forums.frontier.co.uk/showthread.php?t=204289

It's a whine of course, and like anything good will probably get nerfed to useless, but loving hell, it would be worth grinding up the rare metals for a +50% damage reload.

xiansi
Jan 26, 2012

Clapping Larry

tooterfish posted:

Robigo is a populated system about 200 LY outside the populated bubble. Mission payouts scale with distance travelled, and since the most of the eligible targets are back in the bubble the missions generated there are worth lots of cashmoney. Basically you head out, stack as many missions as you can stand, then head back and get rich.

They're called Robigo runs because that's the most popular place to do them, but there are quite a number of systems exactly like it (some are even in chains or clusters). To find them, set your galaxy map to filter out all unpopulated systems and just look around the edge of populated space. They stand out like sore thumbs.

Robigo sends you to Federation systems to deliver your ill-gotten goods, which will help get federation rank missions as a nice side effect.

The "Fehu" system will do something similar for the Empire, and is more or less the same deal.

So choose accordingly depending on which fancy faction-locked ships you are aiming towards, and both now have good options.

xiansi
Jan 26, 2012

Clapping Larry

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

Controversial opinion:

I like the Keelback.

What's not to like?

It's a great early game trade ship that can defend itself, with decent jump range, great for rare runs/long range trade missions, and super-cheap.

And you get the Lakon cockpit where you can see downwards, for fast & fun docking.

xiansi
Jan 26, 2012

Clapping Larry

Duuk posted:

What makes the FAS superior to a Python?

Handling, and straight-line speed. It can turn fast, and even yaw well by Elite standards.

In a PvP fight to the death between both of 'em maxed out (and with how shield banks currently work) the Python would probably win, or at least not die, but the FAS is so much more fun.

xiansi
Jan 26, 2012

Clapping Larry

AegisP posted:

That Explorer's Association news clip thing, is it an actual ingame event (like is there somewhere in particular paying more for exploration data) or just fluff?

There is a community goal currently active at Lave which will give you a bonus for turning in exploration data there. Probably a few million when it finishes if you have a decent amount.

As it's Lave, expect to have a warm 'welcome' if you try that in open...

xiansi
Jan 26, 2012

Clapping Larry

Shine posted:

There is a similar thing (Robigo system) except it's much slower than Sothis, because instead of taking 5-10 smuggling missions worth like $2-8M each, you take a bunch of trading and smuggling missions with generally lower payouts that require more cargo space. It's not fun at all IMO.

Robigo still works...as long as you have allied with the factions there, which is very easy with donations. Helps to be a Tycoon trader though (which kind of defeats the point), and you still need to use the log out & switch mode trick to refresh missions. Having private groups to cycle between helps too.

Has made me enough money for a Cutter anyway, and am 75% of the way to Elite trade rank.

Flipswitch posted:

How is the Fed Assault Ship? got a Vulture atm and it's boring as gently caress but pretty good, looking for something to work up towards but the FDL/Python seem so much further away it's a bit intimidating. I'm starting to make some dollar from the community event to actually get some space bucks, so not sure how long it's gonna take me.

It is very, very good, if you can work around lovely shields. Weird hardpoint placement too, but nothing terribly bad, just have to get used to a class 3 on the bottom.

And much less boring than the vulture - you have 2 extra medium slots to put interesting things in.

And *way* more power to play with - this is a boring A-grade combat loadout (lose the armour for a slightly saner price):

http://coriolis.io/outfit/federal_assault_ship/26A6A5A5D6A4D4C1e1e2727000404044a5j2b59276b.Iw18cQ==.Aw18cQ==

That doesn't even hit 100% with everything running, it's just asking for rails or plasmas.

xiansi
Jan 26, 2012

Clapping Larry
Anyone know where I can find a combat zone with an Empire faction dishing out missions?

http://infolimpet.tk/ is dead, http://elitetracker.stimmed.de/ is lies, the in-game Galnet news is even worse lies.

xiansi
Jan 26, 2012

Clapping Larry

nah

they are changing it to "don't get scanned" for most smuggling missions in 1.5

Which is a fine idea...as long as they fix the cheating NPC system security that interdict you (fair enough), and then you submit, boost out of scan range, and then supercruise onwards after 10 secs...only to have the fuckers be back on your arse 5 seconds later for another interdiction.

They need to suffer the 40 sec penalty for initiating an interdiction same as you would.

Or better still, make the escape interdiction mini-game based on something other than pure luck.

xiansi
Jan 26, 2012

Clapping Larry

Goredema posted:

Highlighted the relevant part above, since that drove me crazy for a while when I started a week ago. The trick is that you have to be within 7.5 km of the station before they'll approve your docking request.
When you do land, if you're facing backwards on the landing pad you'll just scrape around and not "lock" to the pad.

Both of those things caused no end up heartache until I figured it out. :bang:

It's not easy to tell which way is 'backwards' when docking at an outpost, especially when you are a long way out and can't see the number. You should always dock with the number the right way round, at the end of the pad where your ship's nose will point.

As a general rule of thumb though, if there is a big tall structure one end of the landing pad that would block an approach from that direction, whilst the other side is clear, then you can be sure the correct landing orientation is the dumb one.

xiansi
Jan 26, 2012

Clapping Larry

Got my Corvette build sorted out (empty slot is for the vehicle hanger which isn't on the site yet.

http://coriolis.io/outfit/federal_c...MxTQ==?bn=Vette

Now if only we knew what the rank requirement was going to be.

The limpets are for scooping up random cargo, right?

Is that something you would bother doing when flying a 600M credit murderboat?

Also, I love how even this crazy setup will totally blow the power budget if you try and set your KWS to 'A' grade. How the hell can that thing use over 4 times the power that the FSD does?

Anyway, as a Marquis/Lt. Commander, I bloody well hope that's going to be enough rank, because no matter what I do, neither of those have increased in forever.

xiansi
Jan 26, 2012

Clapping Larry

Mercurius posted:

It hasn't actually been confirmed yet but we're expecting Rank 10 for the new ships because it's +3 from the existing stuff. Rank 10 is Post Commander (which is one rank up from where you are) and Earl (which is one rank below where you are) so you're pretty close. If you want to finish grinding out that last Fed rank you can head over to Arexe and stack kill missions from the Fed factions for pirates in Orrere (easy but bad money) or do hauling from Robigo (boring, great money and can be annoying if RNG is not on your side).

Been hauling from Robigo for quite a while as Tycoon, and must have just rolled a 20 on the RNG 'cause my last run was 72/88 cargo slave smuggling missions (the rest just bonus legal goods going to the same stations), all for 4-7M at each drop-off, and the last one involved a frantic firefight I should not have picked with a fed gunship pirate at the station I should have just run for. One of these stations:

and I missed the spinny arms wiping me out with 20% hull and no shields by a mere whisker! (it's Smith Reserve, if anyone wants to see this monstrosity)

If they ever introduce some sort of negative 'karma' stat for slave trading I am so screwed...

Stacking pirate kills at Arexe sounds like the same deal as Kui 11/LFT 269, which I have been doing occasionally in a FAS for a bit of variety - must have turned in 50+ pirate killing missions, most of 'em for Fed factions. Still no rank up...

xiansi
Jan 26, 2012

Clapping Larry

RabidWeasel posted:

Somehow I wrote the first part of that post the exact opposite of what I meant, I meant to say that getting up to a few million only takes a short time even when you're new and loving around, but once you settle into "OK I want a sweet Python" territory you're 100% going to have to put in some dedicated farming time.

Yeah sorry I forget explorers exist, you guys get it even worse than everyone else what with all the stupid specialised modules you need and everything having less jump range than the Asp.

The 'problem' with explorers is they tend to be chilled out people, happy to gawp at the wonders of space, and take things easy, and are too busy playing (it is a time consuming thing to do!) to have time to constantly whine on the forums.

And as we have seen, the squeaky wheel gets the grease. Hence no meaningful changes to exploration mechanics, and one* relatively cheaply-fit ship that is the obvious best option.

Also, the competition game-wise is basically Space Engine, which is free, so no real pressure on FD to do anything about it.

That said, an incredibly easy fix would just be to give the Orca a class 8 FSD slot, and the corresponding 60+ LY jump range. It's not like that'll make the thing any more appealing for another role, and that would be a ship I could get behind seeing the stars in!

*exploring in an Anaconda is painful, and a piss-poor reward for the effort it takes to afford it.

xiansi
Jan 26, 2012

Clapping Larry

Is Arexe still the best place to grind Fed ranks?

There is nowhere to 'grind' ranks. There are no ranks any more.

Both the Empire and Federation have shut down all promotions due to being excessively top-heavy. Or something.

Sure seems that way anyway - I'm 3% shy of being an Elite trader (smuggler, really) thanks to running missions for everyone everywhere, donating all the credits to any aligned faction...and still gently caress all.

And they expect me to be a frigging Duke just for the privilege of spending all that hard-earned money on a new ship? All the more annoying since it's 'only' the next rank up from Marquis.

Being serious, assuming the general belief that combat missions give better rank progression is true, I have found Kui 11 to be the best bet - lots of Fed factions, all dishing out kill pirate missions in the same system next door.

xiansi
Jan 26, 2012

Clapping Larry
Look at this bullshit. Just look at it:

I've never seen anything as ridiculous than that. Notice how this shithole is in a 'boom' state too.

The only reason I didn't immediately dump cargo was that it was 7M credits worth of smuggling & trade missions, and it would push me from 99% Tycoon to Elite. Which it did. :toot:, I guess.

Also, it was a mix of battle weapons, narcotics, and...tea! Which is so very :britain:, I kind of had to.

Anyway, enough of that poo poo, I am now a very wealthy Duke, and am going to join the Diamond Frogs for some random fuckery...

xiansi
Jan 26, 2012

Clapping Larry

Galaga Galaxian posted:

That is only like, 4.43 Lightdays. Not nearly as bad as Hutton Orbital/Proxima Centauri's 0.22 LY. :v:

That does put it in perspective.

I knew about Hutton Orbital, largely as somewhere you would never go, but didn't realize it was quite so stupid.

xiansi
Jan 26, 2012

Clapping Larry

Forcyte posted:

Saw this tip on Reddit, and it's worked well for me.

1. Bind a key to 75% throttle
2. Go in at full 100% throttle until time to destination drops to 7 seconds, then hit your 75% throttle key
3. Don't touch your throttle again -- drop out of friendship drive when prompted

This is the beginner version.

Thing with efficient supercruise is adapting throttle % to target distance/speed. Having an analogue throttle helps, but is by no means necessary.

You want to be hitting the 'safe to drop out' speed (bar changes colour) as close as possible to 1MM from target.

Do whatever it takes to get to that point as quickly as possible.

Time to arrival is key. 0:07 is always safe, 0:06 is probably safe in anything that isn't a Type-9 (gently caress that thing), 0:05 is usually good for anything else, but hard to maintain without constant throttle feathering.

Anything 0:04 or less, you need to be in a ship that can pitch worth a dammn, come in fast with planet/moon about 75° above you, and abuse the mass-braking effect.

This is really hard to get right, but very satisfying when you do, and makes the latter part of supercruise a fun challenge.

Forcyte posted:

Btw, is there a recommended load-out for taking on the bigger ships in a Viper or Cobra? I accepted an assassination mission, only to realize later that the target in his Anaconda was basically impervious to the four pulse lasers I had mounted.

You might still be able to take out a lower ranked Anaconda (maybe max master?) in one of those ships, but it has gotten harder. You'll always be able to run away & recharge in a Cobra.

The main problem is you can't do it quickly enough, and if you do enough damage then the enemy ship will just FSD away, and you are too small to lock them.

If you can't afford the biggest A-rated everything, then at least make sure the power distributor is, that's a must.

You probably need to go with 2 small beam lasers to get their shields down, and then 2 ammo-using medium weapons for hull damage. Railguns are the best if you can aim them, or cannons/multi-cannons.

Make sure to target components too - FSD will make sure they can't escape, normal drives will make 'em a sitting duck, and the power plant is still a good choice.

xiansi
Jan 26, 2012

Clapping Larry

Strategic Tea posted:

And remember that Eve Elite has sound! Seriously the noise of your FSD is basically the only indicator whether you're going to disengage like a pro or go skidding past the station like a scrub :smuggo:

This is spot on about the sound.

There are audio cues for absolutely everything (go exploring and target different planets in system view...), and the whiny/grindy engine noise when flying close to planets is one of them, but it's a bit counter-intuitive.

It doesn't help at all that the screen will say 'slow down', when what it really means is you are being *slowed* down by whatever you are flying close to. And you can use that to your advantage. It basically means you can throttle up!

There's also a helpful beep when you get to safe drop-out speed, and a different one for range. Similary, fuel scooping by ear is a thing, if you like to live dangerously.

Definitely listen to poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xiansi
Jan 26, 2012

Clapping Larry

Asproigerosis posted:

I haven't played since the faction thing or whatever came out, what'd I miss?

General disillusionment with the faction thing.

Slightly better shield modules as a side effect of the faction thing, and a bunch of other useless junk it's not worth wasting a month on.

A vaguely official goon faction, and a relocation to Goatsec. Background sim still broken.

An actual decent Federation ship!

Fun (but irrelvant to main game) PvP arenas with super-manouverable ships.

Enormous amounts of cash from long-range smuggling missions.

Everyone gearing up for crashing landing on planets & dicking about in space-buggies tomorrow.

• Locked thread