Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

monogatari owns if you aint' a busta.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Captain Invictus posted:

I do love that they just keep on trying these really out there premises that are most likely completely horrible and insulting
uhm, why do you think it's most likely completely horrible and insulting

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

serial experiments lain

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

i only read five pages but the demon thing didn't seem literal, it just seemed like a dude who really needed some butt cream and was awkward about it. weird premise for a gag manga but w/e.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

RabidWeasel posted:

FWIW I thought that Yona of the Dawn (anime) was pretty bad and if everyone's genders were switched it would be absolutely generic as gently caress. If Yona didn't have to be repeatedly saved by her father's murderer who she is also absurdly, cripplingly enfatuated with then I'd probably rate it a bit higher but that poo poo pissed me off a lot. Maybe the manga moves on from this point but I wasn't exactly loving it even ignoring the spoiler. Also suffers from hypercompetent ally syndrome which somewhat blunts Yona's own character development.
lol

protip: literally everything in this post is both stupid and factually wrong.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

RabidWeasel posted:

I'm not going back to see exactly what happens and when but what I do remember quite clearly is that the first thing that happened to her after the "pirate magistrate" arc was her getting temporary brain damage and having to be protected by Soo-Woon (in a rediculous deus ex machina way, as well, as far as I recall he is randomly just in the right place at the right time by total coincidence). It's about the last major plot event that happens in the anime and was sufficiently stupid that it completely removed any desire I had to see the story continue. It just ruins the story for me when Yona is beaten over the head with a stick saying "it doesn't matter how hard you try to grow and be independent, :biotruths:" especially immediately after a cool scene where she gets to do something decisive instead of having the harem take care of everything for her. It goes bizarrely against the main theme of the show and if this was a lovely anime addition or something then I'm glad that the source material is better.
lol

RabidWeasel posted:

for obvious reasons that can't accidentally be read as thinly veiled misogyny.
because you didnt decide you wanted to read it as thinly veiled misogyny?

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

The Shortest Path posted:

Start with Fate/Zero imo, it's probably the best VN adaptation anime ever made. Also, since it's a technically a prequel, you won't have a lot of the end parts spoiled(ish) by F/SN.

fate/zero isn't even based on a vn

also TBH If you want to experience Fate I'd say just read the original VN. I don't think any of the adaptations really capture everything that makes it worthwhile. I understand reading an 80 hour VN is a hard sell, but I just don't think any of the adaptations are worthwhile on their own. Ufotable's UBW isn't terrible or anything, but it's missing a lot of what I love about the VN, and ufotable's heaven's feel movies seem pretty good but wouldn't work without Fate and UBW preceding them, and also won't be finished until like 2020. Like, if you don't want to read the VN, I'd say just don't bother.

If you REALLY just want anime battles, then Zero, UBW, and Apocrypha are all fine, but you'd probably be better off skipping any talky bits that go on too long. Or honestly, if you want ufotable fighting, watch the Kara no Kyoukai movies, they're a bunch fo movies so they're easier to swallow and they all end with big fights, and they're actually good stories.

Endorph fucked around with this message at 15:53 on Jan 4, 2018

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Nipponophile posted:

The guy said he wanted cool anime fights, not wordy slideshows.
in that case he REALLY shouldn't watch fate/zero

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

I mean, it's more "they aren't, really."

people just see black military uniforms and assume nazi poo poo even though those outfits arent really similar to the ww2 german military uniforms at all, the closest part is the red insignia

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Jenny Angel posted:

I tried watching a bunch of animes from 2016 and 2017 seasons recently, and the three that really clicked were Flip Flappers, Land of the Lustrous, and The Ancient Magus' Bride. Especially Flip Flappers, which I'm pretty sure is my second favorite anime now after Monster. Everything else I've tried, I've bounced off pretty quickly

What else should I look into from the last couple years if the animes listed above are my jam? Ones written by women (or based on manga / LNs written by women) would be a neat bonus given the trend so far, but it's far from a requirement
wixoss is cool psychological character stuff. the card game aspect of it is pretty much completely ignored by the show even though the card game exists in real life so dont worry about that, its mostly just weird people being weird at each other and learning to be less weird. It also has some of the pensive, 'what the hell is going on' type mystery found in Lustrous.

kyousougiga is pretty similar to flipflappers in terms of being a colorful rabbithole type story, though the watch order can be pretty confusing and no matter how you slice it the first couple of episodes are pretty rough. definitely worth checking out, though.

If you enjoyed Ancient Magus Bride you'll probably enjoy other fantasy shoujo series. Snow White with the Red Hair is another enjoyable series about a young woman finding her place in the world, though it's much less pensive and much more focused on romance. though the romance doesn't overpower the main character's growth, it's definitely a big aspect of the story. Akatsuki no Yona is also a pretty good series, though it's much more action/adventurous and the anime cuts off just before the point where the story gets really, really good, so I'd recommend switching to reading the manga after you're done with the anime. Or just reading the manga straightup.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Mr Interweb posted:

I've been aching for some new anime to watch. But I'm somewhat picky about it. I'm into 1) relatively light-hearted, not-too-serious, action/adventure anime as well as 2) straight up comedic ones. To give you an idea of what I like:

From the first category:

- Yu Yu Hakusho
- Rurouni Kenshin
- Tenchi Muyo/Universe (NOT TOKYO!)
- Outlaw Star
- Ranma 1/2
- Slayers
- Kenichi: The World's Strongest Disciple

Kenichi was the last anime in this category that I remember fully enjoying, so it's been a while. I mean, don't get me wrong, there are good anime like One Piece and My Hero Academia that I've seen, but they're not that high up for me personally. One Punch Man gets pretty close, though
Have you checked out Gintama? It's long as gently caress but it's got a ton of gags and also a few good action scenes. The first few episodes of the anime adaptation are kind of weak though, it doesn't really hit its stride until the mid 20sish, which understandably makes it kinda clunky to get into. It's about samurai-era Japan where instead of Europeans arriving, aliens arrive, and so there's a bunch of gags about modern life, and modern tech, mixed in with the more traditional Japanese architecture and stuff, which does give it a bit of a unique texture. I've often heard its sense of humor compared to Cromartie.

Also, since you seem to like 90s/early 2000s action shows, Trigun's a real good one, and not that long, if you never saw it back in the day. Lots of cool gunplay, and the main character's hilarious when he gets going, not to mention there's some clever gags about how he deals with his general pacifism despite being in a kind of sci-fi wild west.

Tsukikage Ran's a comedy/action thing about a wandering female samurai. Some of the gags get dragged out a bit too long (Ran's drinking habits can only be funny for so long) but the action's super well-animated and there's this kind of humble, homey atmosphere to it that makes even the less funny jokes kind of charming, and it has some really great gags in there too. I'd definitely recommend checking out the first episode to see if it works for you.

Samurai Champloo's another samurai show, obviously - it gets downright weird in places (there's an entire episode about baseball, somehow) but the action's well-done, the characters all have interesting little arcs, and there's some good jokes mixed in. It's by the Cowboy Bebop director, if you ever watched that.

Ushio to Tora is a recent anime adaptation of a pretty old manga. It definitely scratches those oldschool shonen itch, just in terms of how it's written, and it's also pretty good on its own - the main characters have an appealing dynamic that grows over the course of the series, and there's some actually pretty interesting villains. And the fights are pretty good.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

BigRed0427 posted:

Hey all, I'm kind of just now getting back into anime and manga. So let's ask for two recommendations.

First up I recently finished Miss Kobayashi's Dragon Maid. Loved it. It's sweet, gay as hell, I think it's funny, and just all around chill. It reminds me of stuff like Azumanga Daioh and Haruhi Suzumiya. More stuff like that would be great.
It probably reminds you of Haruhi because it's the same studio and has some of the same staff, even all these years later. I'd recommend checking out some of KyoAni's other stuff - Hibike! Euphonium has some drama that ends up in a very sweet place, and while its humor is more lowkey character expressions/banter, it's still very funny. It's also about band geeks, if you ever were in band in high school, and has a ton of well-done concert scenes. There's also K-on, which is mostly just comedy and characters bouncing off each other, but is very likable even if the jokes aren't always amazing.

There's also New Game, which is about women who work at a small game studio. It's got some fanservice but way less than dragon maid had, honestly, and also some fairly heavily implied relationships between a few characters. The first season is mostly slice of life gags, but the second season gets a bit more into game development and the main character trying to succeed as a character designer for games, and actually does it pretty well, with a very satisfying ending. It's also pretty funny, especially in the second season when the gags are paced a bit better and there's more variety to the show's tone, though the first season still has some good jokes.

BigRed0427 posted:

Second, lets go for some darker superhero/action orientated stuff that still manages to be uplifting in the end. Stuff like Madoka Magica and Neon Genesis Evengellion.
People have already mentioned some of the things I'd want to mention, like Symphogear and Utena, so I'll just toss in some corner shots and see if they catch your eye.

Princess Tutu has a very fairytale aesthetic and its action scenes are depicted as ballet scenes for the most part, but it's a very creative show, fairly dark, and incredibly uplifting towards the end. Its darkness is more philosophical and a heavily oppressive atmosphere in the middle than literal death and gore and such, though, so depends on what you're looking for. It plays very heavily with metanarratives about the nature of fiction itself, with characters literally talking about the nature of stories, so if you're into that kind of thing it's cool.

Rahxephon is often compared to Evangelion, and I enjoy it a bit more - it's very confusing at the start, but the characters and their arcs are very well done and its convoluted situation is wrapped up much more cleanly than evangelion, IMO. That said, the action is pretty sparse - entire 3 episode arcs go by without any fighting - so again, depends on what you're looking for.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

in the time it took me to write that post literally everything there got mentioned

well except rahxephon

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4t1_35xiub4

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Jimbot posted:

How's The Slayers Revolution seasons? I've been watching the first three seasons again and I forgot how good the show was. The new stuff as good as the old stuff? Worse?
I don't think it's as good but it's not significantly worse and part of it might just be watching new slayers stuff without the tinge of nostalgia. Regardless I'd say it's worth checking out, I don't remember it doing anything like, outright bad with the material or ruining it or anything, it was just more Slayers

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

re:zero isn't amazing, some of the drama is a little forced and the white whale fight really doesn't land in my opinion, but the characters really sell it and it does have some moments where the drama really lands. solid show all in all. Also the villain is so obnoxious and overdone that he loops back around into being amazing. It helps that you can tell the animators and voice actor were having a blast with him.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Ulio posted:

What are some good animes with tournament arcs or battle royale situations like in the Fate series?

I have seen and liked the following.
-Fate/Zero
-Baki(manga)
-Dragon Ball (martial art tournament)
-Hunter x Hunter(hunter exam arc)
-Naruto(exam arc)

Those are the type of things I am looking for. I am watching One Piece and haven't reached Dressroa yet. I know Yu Yu Hakusho has some tournament arcs but other than that I don't know what else to watch.
Have you seen Dragon Ball Super? Ignoring the stuff covering the movies it's basically two tournament arcs with a more normal arc stuck in between them.

also girls und panzer and gundam build fighters, if you're okay with tournaments that involve fighting in tanks/mechs. the first half of g gundam would also work if you want one with more stakes than some kids wanting to win.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

the arcs that were recapping the movies were really rushed and bad, but once they get to the actually new material with the universe 6 tournament the art's pretty consistent, mostly because they basically stole all the animators from Pretty Cure.

https://sakugabooru.com/data/5d9c93ec32c116af11e8f79ad311a5b6.mp4

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Xun posted:

Noot sure if this is the right place to ask but w/e

I like fighty animes, my girlfriend likes lesbian animes, and I've seen someone (Endorph possibly?) describe SYMPHOGEAR as a good lesbian fight-y anime. Is that true? The synopsis on wikipedia doesn't seem very promising but I have learned that anime synopsises are actually kinda bad at grabbing my attention.

edit: actually added anime name, this is what i get for 3am anime posting
Symphogear is fighty but it also has some weird fanservice. Animation is good for the most part, especially in the later seasons. Tone is all over the place in the first six or seven episodes of the first season, it starts really dour and turns into a character thing and then doesn't really have many action scenes until the last four or five episodes. The later seasons are way more action-packed and goofy but they don't really work without the first season. Lesbianism is implied but the only really explicit couple are Kirika and Shirabe and even they never actually kiss on screen, they just sing about it, and also they're only introduced in the second season. First season only has Hibiki and Miku, who are heavily implied but never actually voice any explicit 'I love you's, it's all 'you're my sunshine!'

Though they're introduced literally sleeping in the same bed, which, come on. Also the voice actors have literally just said they're gay without anyone backpedaling.

The show works mostly because the characters are really likable and vibrant and the show commits pretty heavily to their arcs. Later seasons lean more into goofy action comedy which is also a look that works well, the writer has a real head for wacky situations and triumphant turnarounds, though the third season really stumbles with how it tries to give Hibiki more of an arc. The second season has one of the most hilarious anime villains ever, a random white guy from Ohio who went to Harvard and does nothing but quote schwarzenegger movies while running screaming from any actual fight. Like I said however, the first season can be pretty all over the place in terms of tone, and you and your girlfriend would need to be willing to put up with some moderate fanservice. I'd describe it as more fanservice than your average shonen anime but less than, say, Kill la Kill. They dial it back noticeably after the first season but, yeah.

The singing premise is kind of goofy on the face of it, but it works really well in my opinion. The characters getting a power up being accompanied by them literally singing a big song is a nice shtick, and there's some pretty solid music in there. Plus they get more inventive with in the second season, with things like two characters having a fight that is also essentially a j-pop equivalent to a rap battle, and some of the lyrics do actually give some insight into the characters.

In Conclusion: results inconclusive. you can make your own decisions in this life, i can only hope to inform you.

Other suggestions for Lesbian Fight-y anime:

Canaan (More gunfights than shonen action, plot can be a little hard to follow but the action's really well done, the main character is female and in a fairly sweet relationship with a reporter girl that's pretty explicitly romantic though there are episodes where they aren't onscreen together, it's mostly towards the beginning and end of the series that their bit develops)

El Cazador De La Bruja (Another gunfight based series, it's a sort of soft western, the main characters have a good dynamic, unlike Canaan the plot and characters actually follow a pretty reasonable track, slightly less explicitly gay but the characters are onscreen together for the entire show)

those are two off the top of my head. if anyone else can think of any lesbian fight-y anime, please share so that we may all be blessed.

Endorph fucked around with this message at 11:44 on Jan 23, 2018

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Neddy Seagoon posted:

I meant it more as a poor joke recommendation really.

For a proper recommendation though; Miss Kobayashi's Dragon Maid, maybe? It's got a bit of fighting in it, and it's a very sweet show in general :unsmith:.

it has one fight scene that's played as a gag, come on now

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

lesbians of the galactic heroes

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Hiro Protagonist posted:

I just watched Land of the Lustrous, and it was fantastic. What are some other good anime that deal with Buddhist themes and philosophy?
Saint Young Men literally has Buddha in it if you want some light gags about the idea, though it mostly focuses on gags about Jesus, who is also there.

Hunter x Hunter has some pretty heavy elements of it in the Chimera Ant Arc, but that's the second-to-last arc of the 2011 TV series and it's mostly absent from the rest of the show, since most of it's tied into characters who either aren't relevant or aren't introduced until that arc. It's also like 150 episodes long.

A lot of anime deal really heavily with reincarnation in a way that's clearly buddhist-influenced, but anime that outright discuss it or based a lot of their plot on it feel a lot rarer. I'm no expert on buddhism though, so maybe there are people out there who saw it in other shows.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Xun posted:

No worries! We have actually already watched it together and really enjoyed it. Will definitely check out some of the recommendations though! Also legend of galactic heroes caus it has to be in the thread title for some reason
Legend of the Galactic Heroes is a really dry political space opera with most of its attempts at levity just being the characters being weird pricks to each other in between their 17 stage plans to overthrow the government. Literally everyone has some subplot about how they want to take command of the universe and they're all middle-aged men so it can be easy to lose track of who's who, and sometimes the series just gets stuck in weird diversions about some random planet's political situation that might not ever come up again. And since it's like 100 episodes long most of the battles are just two static spaceships firing lasers at each other while the characters have to explain verbally what they're doing since they can't animate it.

It's not a bad show, mind, it goes in some pretty interesting directions and it's so dry that it winds up semi-unintentionally hilarious when the characters do or say something weird, but unless you and your girlfriend are sci-fi buffs iunno if you'd get much out of it.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

CharlestheHammer posted:

Well yeah a lot of times rec threads become a way for people to try to fulfill their own desires and not really help others find poo poo they would like.
have you considered watching legend of the galactic heroes

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

the person that wanted lesbian fighting anime was ages ago (read: yesterday) and the show isnt lesbian but i just remembered soul eater existed, and its like the one shonen action anime with a female protagonist that ran in an actual shonen magazine and just follows pretty normal shonen storytelling without really being weird or fanservicey beyond how shonen normally is. so if your gf likes shows with female protagonists in general that's a good pull.

also i guess if you read crona as a girl you can say its kinda gay

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Jenny Angel posted:

Talk to me about Steins;Gate for a bit. I see a lot of people losing their poo poo over how good it is, but I have a few questions

1) How good is it actually? I haven't seen much discussion of it in the time I've been lurking here, and broadly speaking I trust you guys more than I trust, say, a sky-high MAL score
2) I've heard some vague stuff about how there's a trans character whose arc can be pretty uncomfortable or upsetting to watch. Without getting into outright spoilers, could I get a sense of what we're talking about here? Outright offensive? Well-meaning but kinda ignorant? Sensitively handled but just depressing/tragic? Something that's just in the VN, not the show? Problematic stuff definitely isn't a deal-breaker, but I want to get at least some sense of what to be ready for if I do end up watching the show
1) steins;gate starts out as a pretty okay comedy, turns into a pretty effective sci-fi thriller, and has a really good romance at its core. some of the side characters are a little overdone in terms of their shticks and some of the jokes dont land but it's pretty good.

2) ruka's shtick is that they want to be a girl partly because the main character, okabe, is straight, and they're into okabe. projection like that isnt uncommon for trans people but ruka is kind of a weirdly written half-and-half character where they don't really write them as a gay guy who presents femininely because that's what the person they're into seems to find most attractive but they don't really write them as a trans character anyway. it's not like, the worst thing ever but there's a couple of dumb jokes of okabe reminding themselves they're a 'guy', or perving on them and then going 'wait this shouldn't be a big deal!' okabe never comes across as a huge shithead, more an insecure nerd, partly because ruka never really articulates what they're going for or how they feel so it's hard to blame him for being kind of confused. and ruka's only a side character so it never really gets resolved in the anime (and the vn's resolution of it is also pretty mudled). overall id say there are ways you can read it that are better than others and the authorial intent is pretty clearly just mostly harmless gags that at their worst are mildly gay panic-y. iunno, it's kind of one of those things thats in the gray area enough that you have to judge it for yourself.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Jenny Angel posted:

This is a great and thoughtful summary - I really appreciate it. Sounds like Steins;Gate might be worth checking out at some point, but probably not for a good while. For now, I'm focusing on the real Jukki Hanada-penned masterpiece... A Place Further than the Universe
tbh part of the reason universe is super good is the director. not to downplay hanada or anything though

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

there wolf posted:

Can anyone recommend a good anime for young kids, something with a narrative and lots of episodes? We're trying to avoid Pokemon.
How young are we talking?

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

princess tutu goes a little dark/metafictional I wouldn't really say it's a good idea, everything past the first few eps would go over their heads. if you want something on the 'girlier' end of things, check out precure. or, well, glitter force, for the dubs. they're on netflix.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

40-Degree Day posted:

I don't watch a lot of anime but my wife does. She was watching Himouto Umaru-chan in the living room and I ended up watching most of it with her and I really liked it. I haven't watched anime since DBZ was on toonami so I wanted to watch more like this one. What are other good cute/funny slice of life animes? Don't care about the subject.
K-On!: girls start a band, proceed to dick around instead of playing music. first season is mostly just goofy jokes, second season adds a lot of quieter moments of them hanging out and dealing with the fact that high school cant last forever. its not a drama or anything but it gets a bit of substance to go with the gags.

Nichijou: pretty much nothing but gags and very smooth character animation due to simplified designs, but there's a neat sense of place to the world. a guy shows up to deliver one line in a gag in one episode and then three episodes later he shows up as another character's brother, or whatever. it really gives the feeling of a small town even through all the jokes about wrestling goats.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Rinkles posted:

Any good detective/crime series? Preferably with an overarching plot with a larger mystery. So more Stand Alone Complex than Conan (cause it doesn't end).

(Not interested in Psycho Pass)
Gosick has some issues (it shuffles dates around in its WW2 setting for basically no reason, you have to be up for a 'boy hangs out with kind of precocious girl' story, some of the mysteries aren't great) but the relationship between the two leads is pretty well done all in all and the central mystery is good, plus some of the individual episodes are interesting twists. I still wish the entire show was animated in the style of the OP though.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Wark Say posted:

Hey, I need something like Black Lagoon, but I think I've tapped every other alternative I can think of out (Hellsing Ultimate OVA's, Drifters, Jormungand, Future Diary). Can you recommend something like Black Lagoon (crazy, violent fun would be my three key words)?
gangsta? the anime is unfortunately the dying throes of manglobe but its still a good time.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

unstucker posted:

Can you recomend me horror anime? Something bloody like Higurashi no naku koro ni or umineko no naku koro ni.
if you want gore/blood, Another would work? Some of the deaths are too goofy to take seriously but it still lands some, too. Kinda reminds me of Final Destination.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

unstucker posted:

Mononoke was one of the first anime I watch when I was a kid) It's classics) But thanks for reminding. I'll rewatch it))

no not princess mononoke. mononoke, the unrelated tv anime. mononoke are japanese folk creatures that are basically vengeful ghosts, and mononoke (the tv anime) is about a wandering exorcist of said ghosts. mononoke is a very inventive, stylish series with an incredibly unique aesthetic and a few creepy plot twists, though it's somewhat episodic in nature and intentionally vague about the main character's motivations and history.

unless you actually did watch mononoke and not princess mononoke as a kid, in which case, im old.

Endorph fucked around with this message at 07:54 on Mar 6, 2018

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Hiro Protagonist posted:

Should I start with Fate/zero or the new Fate/stay night anime adaptation?
Fate/Zero has a very serious and grim story with a very troubled protagonist and a whole lot of suffering. Fate/Stay Night Unlimited Blade Works (TV) is a more standard hero's journey type story where the protagonist wants to help people, is forced to confront a bunch of problems, and some bad things happen, but it's a fairly optimistic story. The protagonist of Fate/Zero is an adult man who does very questionable things and is something of an anti-hero or even a villain depending on your perspective, the protagonist of Fate/Stay Night UBW is a teenage boy who has his morals and motivations questioned but is never really treated as anything other than the hero of the story.

They both kind of spoil each other, and people will argue back and forth about which one to start with, and which one is better, so just start with whichever one of those sounds more appealing to you. In terms of production they were made within a few years of each other by the same studio so they don't really differ that much even with them having different directors. the only real difference is that UBW leans more into goofier expressions/slapstick for its humor and even that's partly just a tone thing.

For other fate anime:

Fate/Stay Night (2006, deen) is a fairly bad adaptation of the VN and pretty much outmoded by UBW, even if it covers a different route of the game.
Fate/Stay Night Unlimited Blade Works Movie (2011, deen) is a very bad movie adaptation of the UBW route of the VN and is completely outmoded by the UBW tv anime by UFOtable.
Fate/Stay Night Heaven's Feel (2017, UFOtable) is a series of movies that should only be watched after UBW and maybe Fate/Zero. They're a good adaptation of the VN's strongest material, but the Heaven's Feel Route is only unlocked after clearing the other routes in the game for a reason - it relies a lot on knowledge of how the story 'should' go. Also, they aren't completed, so.
Fate/Apocrypha (2017, A-1) is an adaptation of a spinoff novel that has no connections to fate/zero or ubw, minus some of the characters coming from the same legends as characters in the 'main' stuff and a couple of cameos. It takes place in an alternate timeline/universe, so it can be watched on its own, as a companion piece, whatever. It has some of the franchise's best characters but it also has way too many characters and a main character that's pretty much unanimously really, really boring. Some amazing action animation, though, especially in the latter half.
Fate/Extra Last Encore (2018, shaft) is an adaptation of a spinoff game that has few connections to any other part of the fate universe. It's shaft, so it's pretty wacky with its production and rewrites a lot of the game's plot in weird directions. It isn't finished airing, so I can't offer a definitive opinion on it. Regardless, it'd be a pretty weird entry point since its storytelling isnt as standard as F/A.

Endorph fucked around with this message at 04:47 on Mar 11, 2018

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

jeanne is okay but part of that is just me liking her goofier moments in fate/grand order

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Chinook posted:

I'm looking for something with some jerky bandits doing horrible things and then getting their asses kicked for it. Kenshin, Hokuto no Ken, Berserk, these things all have that kind of stuff to varying degrees.

I don't necessarily want to see them getting destroyed by overpowered badasses, either. I am just looking to see abusive over-confident crimelords/bandits get what's coming to them.

Any era, realistic or otherwise, is cool with me.
the first half of trigun is basically nothing but this

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Jenny Angel posted:

Hey would you guys mind helping me narrow down a rapidly ballooning watch list now that I'm about to finish all three animes I'm currently watching?

For context, here's what I've liked most according to my MAL ratings:

- Monster
- Devilman Crybaby
- Flip Flappers
- Girls' Last Tour
- A Place Further than the Universe

And here's what I've liked least:

- Haruhi Suzumiya
- Mawaru Penguindrum (dropped about 2/3 of the way in)
- Shin Sekai Yori (dropped about 1/3 of the way in)
- Fate/Apocrypha (dropped about halfway in)
- Violet Evergarden (dropped after a 3-episode test)

With that in mind, please recommend something off this list. My work schedule is pretty brutal, so watching any of these is likely gonna be a several-week commitment, even if I end up really adoring them:

- The Devil is a Part-Timer
- Kino's Journey (I'm led to believe that the 2003 one, not the recent one, is the correct one to watch?)
- Konosuba
- Little Witch Academia
- Miss Kobayashi's Dragon Maid
- Recovery of an MMO Junkie
- Space Patrol Luluco

Thanks so much in advance, guys
Luluco's a series of shorts, so it might be worth checking that out just because it's easy to blitz. Besides that, Kino's Journey 2003 might be up your alley, since with one exception all of the episodes are self-contained.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

StrixNebulosa posted:

Thread, revive thyself!

I'm looking for vampire anime. What's the best vampire stuff around?

I know about : Hellsing, Vampire Hunter D.
if you like nosebleed gags then boy do i have a vampire anime for you

its karin. karin is the anime i have for you. (tbh its an okay mid-2000s romcom though the grandma is the absolute best character in it by a mile and i wish it was just about her)

but yeah, there's a lot of okay genre stuff that uses vampires for flavor, like owari no seraph is a actionish thing with cute/hot guys that happens to have vampire antagonists.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Adlai Stevenson posted:

hits the ground running
Jormungand?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Paperhouse posted:

I'm in the mood for something 90s as heck. I have watched and very much liked Eva, Utena, Lain and Escaflowne, and while these aren't all similar I feel like they're high quality, mostly serious shows with good/interesting plots/themes. What could I try next?

edit: someone will probably say Cowboy Bebop, which I have tried and couldn't really get into
Slayers is 90s as hell and also there's a ton of it. It's a pretty lighthearted fantasy series too, so it'd be different from what you've been watching. I legitimately like a lot of its characters and the plotting is pretty decent in spots, too, even if a lot of the early stuff is just Lina bumbling around in the woods.

Irresponsible Captain Tylor is a goofy 90s sci-fi series about a gently caress-up pervert accidentally becoming a spaceship captain. It's got pretty much every gag you'd expect from a 90s anime with that premise but it's funny and I don't feel like the sex jokes ever really cross a line - it's mostly just Tylor hitting on women and making getting laid his number one priority, not really anything assaulty, which makes him an easy guy to find funny.

Outlaw Star is the most 90s sci-fi anime ever made. Space samurai girl, space catgirls, protagonist is named GENE STARWIND. I think a lot of its best material is in its first few episodes, but the later stuff gets pretty surreal in a way I like.

It's from January 2000 and not the 90s, but Tsukikage Ran still hits a lot of the same notes. It's a series about a wandering female samurai and the random misadventures she gets into. It's only 13 eps and it's pretty chill, whole lot of shots of Ran just hanging out in a boat or whatever. Great fight scenes, too. I think a lot of its comedy isn't exactly amazing but it has a few decent gags an episode and Ran herself is likable, so it's a good little series if you just want something easy to watch.