Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who is the man??
This poll is closed.
Goku 202 7.09%
Vegeta 279 9.79%
Krillin 208 7.30%
Piccolo or his nameks 212 7.44%
Gohan or Cool Gohan 135 4.74%
Yamcha 90 3.16%
Tien 120 4.21%
Muten Roshi 89 3.12%
Tao Pai Pai 71 2.49%
Frieza 69 2.42%
Cell or an android 86 3.02%
Buu 62 2.18%
Hercule "Mark" Satan 327 11.48%
Videl 90 3.16%
Bulma 104 3.65%
Yajirobe 99 3.47%
Ginyu or other Frieza squad guy 68 2.39%
King kai or another kai 53 1.86%
Chi-Chi 83 2.91%
Goten 43 1.51%
Trunks or Cool Trunks 112 3.93%
Bardock 48 1.68%
Other villain of DB,Z, or GT(please post about it!) 41 1.44%
Uub 42 1.47%
Oolong 90 3.16%
Zamasu 26 0.91%
Total: 1326 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
With the way the movies generally went, there were only two ways to end a movie. Spirit bomb, or bullshit power up. They seem to use both quite a lot. So it was probably to mix it up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Covok posted:

I remember there being more in the anime. Did it really just smash cut like that in the manga?

The last tournament feels like a ton of poo poo got cut, but there is two more stories after that so I don't know what the gently caress.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Also the manga for YYH haas a really out of nowhere ending for the spirit world part which kind of made no sense considering the rest of the series.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Kild posted:

With Koenma's dad?

Yeah, there is no buildup for that at all. I still really like YYH, but like everything it has flaws

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

I don't know why you care, training is just a plot device. Goku increased his power by like 50x in a week during the original Namek arc

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Yeah the team up thing is never really addressed and seems more of a set up for a future movie or maybe early groundwork for super. Because even taking into account how F died they really weren't working as a team.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

13 is worth watching just for racist android and hick android. Once they fuse it loses most of its entertainment tho.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

That is what makes it great, Vegeta getting owned is always great.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

projecthalaxy posted:

Disagree. Vegeta getting his occasional shine spot where he decides to put his family first and be a cool guy is better.

Why can't he do both?

Ytlaya posted:

Vegeta getting owned (if by owned you mean "really bad things happening to him") was only good when he was evil; once he crossed the line to "totally a good guy" (when he sacrifices himself against Buu), it kind of loses its appeal since Vegeta generally means well past that point and would never do anything really bad.

Nah his arrogance is still there and him getting his poo poo wrecked for it owns.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Condiv posted:

i like how db is an allegory for austrian economics, with goku being the avatar of the free market and invaders from space being government regulation and destruction of liberty. except in the cell saga where dr. gero is a communist sympathizer which tries to initiate a market failure (cell) but the failure is ultimately corrected by rational actors (gohan, goku, vegeta)
What does that make krillen

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Nah they were working on the dub last I checked and their Facebook even has a cover teaser or whatever in English Dragonball Z the final chapters.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Well that is a lot of episodes. Buu is apparently two Kai seasons by itself.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

It's kind of boring. The RR are never really a threat.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

RBX posted:

I have never seen Dragonball but have watched 3 episodes of GT. Am I a bad person

Yes dragonball has issues but it is still really good,

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

King piccolo is the start of the transition to Z. So yeah it's great.

Though you could make the argument the start is actually Tao.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

I am pretty sure Tambourine has as much, if not a little more screen time than his daddy.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Trunks, aw yeah

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Cell did tho

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Trunks also spends the whole Android/Cell arc getting owned unlike Gohan.

Also like father like son.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

His version of birds and the bees is a demon and a monkey boy.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

It's actually fairly good. Flawed sure but good.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

A Steampunk Gent posted:

I think it's just terrible someone would post an opinion in the discussion thread

This but unironically.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Petiso posted:

At this point I would've prefered if Videl had turned into Chichi II.

She is?

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

They should just have an arc with Gohan and Videl in the vein of a buddy Cop movie.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Satan works as supporting. You don't want to overexpose him. Of course any Videl story would have good ol Satan.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Bojack is a weird movie in that it is a movie were the villians don't have a motive or much of an origin. Most DBZ movies at least have those.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Bulma never threw a punch and she matters, sometimes.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

reignofevil posted:

Bulma built a space craft capable of traveling interstellar distances out of whatever she had lying around.

Without Bulma that Fist never gets delivered to Namek.

Well yeah my point was not everyone has to fight they can do other things.

Someone has to fight, but not everyone.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Baal posted:

It probably is because they don't have to condense an arc to an hour and a half now

Jesus Christ, RoF really was just an ad for super, huh

I think they were just over ambitious with their ideas.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

pik_d posted:

The Majin Buu arc should have taught you that, actually, Krillin is really bad at judging Ki when the plot calls for it, such has him misjudging Spopovich and Buu.

Everyone is really bad at judging ki. Flipping out over a DBZ staple is hilarious.

It's like being mad they introduced a new super Saiyan.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Hell I the Namek saga, Vegeta underestimates Frieza twice in the same fight. He can sense fine at that point.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Momomo posted:

Wasn't he so offended by Dragonball Evolution that it prompted him to get back into making DB stuff again?

Speaking of which, I really need to see that movie.

I also believe he wanted to end DBZ after (insert favorite arc here)?

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

facebook jihad posted:

Serious post I always thought of the Nappa battle as Toriyama saying 'yeah these characters will never really be relevant again moving forward' with respect to the ones that died. Piccolo sort of being the exception. Gohan still sucks though and I don't get why people like him.

He is one of two characters who had an arc.

The other repeated his like three times.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Raxivace posted:

Neat ad for the Goku vs. Frieza fight on Toonami:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Q7zcy6ZxpM

This is pretty good, though hilariously misleading.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

facebook jihad posted:

This and posts like it are really dumb. Sure 'real dragon ball' is the goofy poo poo they did in the pilaf/red ribbon/Buu saga, but there was a period where it was a lot more serious in tone. And Funimation/English dubs really did market the show as being bad rear end. No one in my middle school liked DB because it was goofy and funny. We had nick toons for that. Kids wanted to watch Goku punch people.

z was goofy as gently caress and Goku punched a OT of people in ball

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

The Secon arc of dragonball has a fake out with Master Roshi seemingly killing Goku. The tone change people pretends happened didn't really.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

They used the earrings, they didn't do regular fusion till the movies, which don't give a gently caress about the rules.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Yeah you only have to do it once. Why would three make that much a difference.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

It was surprisingly sweet and probably the funniest episode in a long time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Well it isn't a joke as much as reality.

Besides the bad daddin is coming soon.

• Locked thread