Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fuf
Sep 12, 2004

haha
Is there an EU4 mod or something that automates combat?

I love the game but I really hate all the clicky-clicky, cat-and-mouse, blink-and-your-whole-army-is-wiped-out stuff. I just wanna chill out and slowly build my empire on a grand scale, not worry about individual little battles and sieges.

It would be cool if I could just build my army, declare a war, and then say to my AI general "hey try and win this war".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fuf
Sep 12, 2004

haha
My biggest concern after those Quill Stellaris vids is that it looked like he had to press a key to zoom out all the way and see the whole galaxy. I really hope that's not the case and that you can smoothly zoom all the way in and out. :ohdear:

fuf
Sep 12, 2004

haha
The dev diary says Sicily has 23 cities but if there are ~10 cities per province that's only 2-3 provinces. There could be more or less management involved depending on how much happens at the province level vs the city.

It would be dope if provinces were flexible, like Stellaris sectors. Then you could start with independent Greek-style city states but eventually lump more and more of them together into a province when you're managing a big empire.

fuf
Sep 12, 2004

haha
I do kinda wish EU4 let you hand over control of your armies to the AI to finish up the boring wars or chase down the pesky little armies. You can already automate your armies for rebel suppression, and there's already general war-fighting orders for vassal armies (aggressive, defensive, siege, etc.). It would be nice if you could just apply those orders to your own armies for the times you don't want to do it all manually.

fuf
Sep 12, 2004

haha
Imperator dev diaries should just be more pictures of the map imo, that seems like the main innovation. I'm fantasising about using armies to block mountain passes etc., but I have no idea if it will work like that.

fuf
Sep 12, 2004

haha
My only issue with the DLC model is I assume new patches are created and balanced around the game with all DLC enabled, so I always feel like the game might become unbalanced or have other problems if I'm missing a DLC. Maybe I'm wrong but seems unlikely that they can test each patch with every combination of DLC.

fuf
Sep 12, 2004

haha
I usually try and find a period / region appropriate playlist on Spotify or Youtube. "6 Hours of Dark and Epic Viking Music" etc. There's always something to provide a mood.

I would go crazy listening to the in-game music looping for so long, however good it is. I even get annoyed when youtubers don't mute the music.

fuf
Sep 12, 2004

haha

Flavius Aetass posted:

Any guesses as to when Imperator is coming out?

Spring I reckon.

fuf
Sep 12, 2004

haha
It really breaks my heart the way the Scottish guy who commentates the Imperator stream flees the room when it gets busy at the end. Don't be shy! You're funny!

fuf
Sep 12, 2004

haha
Echoing the mixed feelings about Imperator. Some stuff looks amazing, other stuff looks depressingly familiar. Still really looking forward to trying it.

fuf
Sep 12, 2004

haha
Here's quill18's video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=el3ZNNnxnWQ

fuf
Sep 12, 2004

haha
Watching the videos I think it would be cool to have an "expansion planner"-style screen that summarises the alliances, pacts, strengths etc. of your immediate neighbours. EU4 diplomatic webs get complicated enough but this is going to be way worse with the huge number of hard-to-remember states. The streamers are spending a lot of time clicking around the diplomacy screens trying to keep track.

I'm also a bit disappointed that the diplomat travel cooldown timer between diplomatic actions is back. I never understood the point of that. It's long enough to be annoying but doesn't seem long enough to really affect gameplay in any way. Maybe I'm missing something.

fuf
Sep 12, 2004

haha

hot cocoa on the couch posted:

Should be easy to jam a new map mode in in a couple weeks right?

Actually I guess the diplomatic map mode already kinda does what I'm asking for...

fuf
Sep 12, 2004

haha

trapped mouse posted:

The embargo on streaming early copies of Imperator is over now, so there's about 50 people all streaming it on Twitch as I type this. Good news if you're the kind of insane person that I am that enjoys watching other people play PDX games.

Any particularly good ones?

fuf
Sep 12, 2004

haha

Mode 7 posted:

ManyATrueNerd's Knossos 2-parter is what switched me from ambivalent to hype for Imperator.

Yeah this guy seemed really annoying at first but those vids won me over by the end. He knows the game and they're appropriately edited.

fuf
Sep 12, 2004

haha
The ck2 thread has a good op I think about suggested dlc.

fuf
Sep 12, 2004

haha

TorakFade posted:

The announcement of a hefty 1.1 patch right after release (which shows the game was not release ready, imo) stopped many people from playing, I'd wager.

Yeah this is me. I bought it and played like an hour but then stopped when I heard a big patch was coming. No point learning the game if lots of stuff is going to change, and I'm not in any rush.

fuf
Sep 12, 2004

haha
My favourite part of Imperator in the brief time I played after release was playing as a tribal leader and getting events that gave free cohorts to one of your tribal elders at the price of decreased loyalty. They were genuinely hard decisions because I desperately needed the men to win a war but I was slowly undermining my internal authority.

I like those kind of risk vs reward decisions that are about balancing competing interests. That kind of gameplay feels very different from just spending currency. It's more like walking a tightrope. If the new system allows for more of that then I'm looking forward to it.

fuf
Sep 12, 2004

haha
Assigning provinces to estates was one of the things I found very unfun for whatever reason, so I'm happy to hear that's gone (if I'm reading right?). Looking forward to the next patch / expansion (?).

fuf
Sep 12, 2004

haha

ilitarist posted:

Like you can only play as Christians but now you can be any landless courtier. And all the characters are properly generated in full 3d including bodies so that event pictures are dioramas instead. And the map scale is unprecedented so that you can zoom into individual villages in Ireland. And you don't directly control any army apart from the one your own character leads, and you have physically to be in a place you want to affect.

I have these kinds of fantasies too but I think mount and blade is probably the closest we are going to get to this rather than anything from paradox.

My main fantasy is a large scale map that isn't split up into fixed provinces, just a single dynamic space dotted with cities that armies can move through smoothly.

fuf
Sep 12, 2004

haha
Hell yeah, the CK3 map looks really great. Are there any more screenshots apart from that RPS article?

One UI thing I wish they would give up on is putting everything in boxes on the left side of the screen. I know it's cool to see the map as much as possible but I think I'd rather just have some nice full-screen views where they can make use of the space to present the information really clearly.

Like I'm a bit concerned that the character view still seems to have that set of tabs at the bottom with scrollable lists for your family, court, vassals etc. I always found those really fiddly in CK2.

fuf
Sep 12, 2004

haha
Gonna throw out a half-baked opinion: I actually wouldn't mind if CK3 was pretty barebones on release because it means I have a better chance of getting a proper handle on all the mechanics, compared to CK2 where there have always been fuzzy areas.

fuf
Sep 12, 2004

haha

KOGAHAZAN!! posted:

Guys

Guys

GUYS

They finally announced it... Vicky 3

https://twitter.com/Type072Game/status/1183095454101364736

I was surprised to get this game as a Promoted tweet the other day. Surprised because it must be incredibly targeted (I think I follow a few Paradox accounts) and also because the dev must have paid for ads.

fuf
Sep 12, 2004

haha

cKnoor posted:

I disagree with announcing it on stage

cKnoor posted:

we're looking into options for more efficient communication channels

I'm not really following any of this but this strikes me as a funny contrast.

fuf
Sep 12, 2004

haha

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

I kinda think they should drop that. Or make which character you play as be an option. The dynastic succession mechanic is fun but sometimes I want to just follow a title through its history regardless of family, or follow a family through various bastards and daughters.

That would be cool.

There was always a kind of weird dissonance I would feel with CK2 where you would often be in an antagonistic relationship with hiers or family members and working to limit their power, and then suddenly you are playing as them and have to suffer the negative effects of your own past actions. It can be unsatisfying.

fuf
Sep 12, 2004

haha
drat I was interested to hear what Waypoint Radio would say about pdxcon, but Rob Zacny was so disappointed he refused to even talk about it and just talked about the DDR museum in Berlin instead.

fuf
Sep 12, 2004

haha

Beamed posted:

Honestly, modelling this today as a constant, low-level background attrition isn't a bad idea.

I have a vague memory that Paradox have addressed this and said they decided against it because attrition suggests the player is doing something "wrong" and it's unsatisfying if they can't do anything about it.

fuf
Sep 12, 2004

haha

Brother Entropy posted:

some provinces will have 1 or 2 extra empty slots beyond that to build additional holdings. there's nothing we've seen from ck3 so far that indicates that won't be carried over

If holdings are now provinces then to add extra holdings would mean either some provinces start off empty or the game map somehow adds provinces (which I don't think a Paradox game has ever done).

fuf
Sep 12, 2004

haha

NoNotTheMindProbe posted:

Stellaris can add entire star systems from events.

I meant the world map games

fuf
Sep 12, 2004

haha

KOGAHAZAN!! posted:

Some provinces start off empty. Not uncontrolled, but without a settlement. Check out Suffolk here:

There are clearly four divisions of the county but only three structures (castle, temple and I'm guessing town).

Oh yeah, cool, good spot.

I love how the map looks. I hope the little towns grow and the castles get bigger walls etc. as they develop. It's really good visual feedback. Also lots of scope for cultural variations.

fuf
Sep 12, 2004

haha
There's a difference between "nation you can easily win the game with" and "nation that is good for learning mechanics and not getting overwhelmed".

I think I would feel pretty overwhelmed playing Ottomans as a brand new player. I always pick somewhere really tiny for a new game so I can get a handle on what is going on, even if it means I can't do much.

fuf
Sep 12, 2004

haha
man I'm pumped for CK3, gonna be sweet am I right fellas

fuf
Sep 12, 2004

haha
yeah I would not be totally opposed to a cheap subscription model if it meant avoiding DLC confusion and just being able to jump in with the most recent, fully-featured version of the game. Especially if it was a complete package with access to all PDS strategy games.

Probably bad for hardcore fans but it kind of makes sense for filthy casuals like me. Just pay for a month every so often when I get an itch to play. That's kind of what I do with uplay+ already.

fuf
Sep 12, 2004

haha

TorakFade posted:

but that's a pipe dream, I doubt 10/month would ever be enough for this kind of deal..

I dunno, uplay+ is only a bit more than 10/month and you get access to their whole library of big budget games.

10/month for just the grand strategy games seems too much if anything. If it were like 5/month I wouldn't think twice.

fuf
Sep 12, 2004

haha

YF-23 posted:

having the same sub cost for 1 piece of DLC and 20 pieces of DLC

uh isn't that exactly how it would work? you pay the same sub price the whole time and get regular updates.

fuf
Sep 12, 2004

haha
https://www.reddit.com/r/paradoxplaza/comments/ezqwel/security_flaw_in_hearts_of_iron_iv/

quote:

It has recently been discovered that a security flaw exists in the current version of Hearts of Iron IV, Europa Universalis IV, Crusader Kings II and Victoria II. The flaw allows mods to run arbitrary code on your machine, allowing the mod to do almost anything: including, but not limited to, installing a proper virus on your machine.

dunno if this is true but hey it's some fun reddit drama to talk about

fuf
Sep 12, 2004

haha

ilitarist posted:

you can't see 2 character screens at the same time etc.

has there been any hint that this will be possible in CK3? would be cool but I doubt it's possible unless they are moving away from the standard Paradox UI conventions where everything is kind of hard-baked onto the left side of the screen.

fuf
Sep 12, 2004

haha
think I might use my quarantine time to try and force myself to like imperator

fuf
Sep 12, 2004

haha

Cantorsdust posted:

Cons: I don’t like the decadence system. The penalty for expansion, certain decisions, and certain advanced buildings is decadence. A country that builds up too much decadence starts regressing, going from a stable empire to an old, decaying, crumbling one. This has mechanic effects like making it harder to maintain loyalty and increasing revolt risk. The overall goal of the game is to build up legacy points (your score) through conquest, culture producing buildings, and Wonders while staging off decadence overload and your eventual empire collapse. The problem is there’s no removing decadence (with rare exceptions), only trying to produce enough culture to keep up with it. So you’re doomed to crumble and fail in the end. Which is a very heavy-handed way to force a certain historical outcome.

I can see why this would be annoying but the way you've described it actually sounds really cool lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fuf
Sep 12, 2004

haha
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pA9dHJVVI_0

this is gripping. GRIPPING!

Amazing how consistent EU4 has been
Interesting that HOI4 got such a big boost a good few years after release
It's funny how every Stellaris DLC there's a huuuge boost where everyone is like "is it good now??" and then it drops back immediately when they're like "nope"
The funniest bit happens at 7:32