Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

feller
Jul 5, 2006

Demiurge4 posted:

Alright let's sperg out for a bit then, we'll use this planet as the example.

If you look on the right side you'll note that it appears they've used farm-city-farm going down. The farm tiles are mountains which means they produce less food, but the city tile is a flat plains tile which means it has bigger base food production and gains bonuses from both of the other farms which comes together into a fuckload of food. Ideally, the player would then terraform the swamp at the top to unlock the tile and build another city there, and then a farm on the left. However I posit that the farm shouldn't boost more than one tile at a time and if you want that kind of bonus again you should put the city in the top center tile and farms on either side again. The farms on the right side would not give each other any bonuses at all. This makes adjacency bonuses significant, but still local and you won't be able to chain a bonus across the entire planet, and you're instead encouraged to put your bonuses where they make the most sense and gain a variety of them which translates into a productive and diversified planet. On the left side we can place a lab underneath the creatures in the tile above and gain some kind of bonus there.

The dev diary however notes its best to place reactors next to each other though so I'm going to assume it works the exact opposite and you are encouraged to chain bonuses across the whole planet instead, which leads to specialization, especially if the game has percentage bonuses to one type of production.

It's not like you can transport energy between planets, so the reactor example doesn't necessarily mean specialized planets.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

feller
Jul 5, 2006

I have not thought about animorphs in 15+ years, and yet I instantly knew what you were talking about.

feller
Jul 5, 2006

A Buttery Pastry posted:

The wait will be over by Christmas.

:golfclap:

feller
Jul 5, 2006

I can understand paradox not wanting to make new DLC for Victoria 2, but they could seriously at least fix the fact that it
crashes
on
first
install
more
links

(it's the map/cache folder)

this is embarassing

feller
Jul 5, 2006

Manket posted:

That's fine as long as there's repercussions to taking that route, like massive negative relation penalties with other empires/races, to the point where basically everyone else in the federation gets a free casus belli on you or they start a union to take down what is clearly a dangerous, wantonly destructive force in the galaxy.

Conquerors used to do this to cities that didn't surrender IRL, just with different tech.

feller
Jul 5, 2006

CharlestheHammer posted:

Real time strategy games?

okay okay I'll vote for Hillary

feller
Jul 5, 2006

Dibujante posted:

If you unleash some Ancient Evil can you just tagswap to it?

You'll need the Cogs of Hell DLC first

feller
Jul 5, 2006

NLJP posted:

You're in for a treat. It ends in the best way possible.

You and I have fundamental differences of opinion regarding arumba whining

feller
Jul 5, 2006

Psychotic Weasel posted:

Off the top of my head I really can't think of any situations like this that had a demonstrably positive impact on things - yeah it's (probably) not EA buying them up but with a change in ownership and business model means that organizational changes aren't far behind.

One of us confused about what an IPO is especially given

feller
Jul 5, 2006

Psychotic Weasel posted:

Is it you? Because retaining a controlling stake in a company has nothing to do with an IPO; he could've just sold a part of the company to someone else privately and there's nothing to prevent him from just selling off what is does retain later to get out of the game. The way the press release reads it looks like some of their backers want to cash in on what they have and think they can get a better deal on the open market. When you take a company public you lose a certain amount of control over things. I'm sure the people who do drop a couple thousand/million dollars investing in the company would then expect to have no word whatsoever on what goes on.

I don't think they've even announced which exchange they plan on using, but with current investment rules where I live I don't think owning more than a share or two for the novelty would be worth it. Not unless they're expecting the price to take off or plan on offering hefty dividends.

You got a lot less hyperbolic in this post, now we can agree.

feller
Jul 5, 2006

Are there any good mods for V2 that make influence not awful?

feller
Jul 5, 2006

Does this happen often? It is awesome

feller
Jul 5, 2006

I just lost 1 million pops, a quarter of my population, in like 6 years to cholera. This is insane

feller
Jul 5, 2006

I think it's time y'all make a stellaris thread.

feller
Jul 5, 2006

Woof

feller
Jul 5, 2006

One of my first Vic2 games had me sphere Hannover as France and then give the game up after getting bored.

Besides you need Germany to form so conquering all of the Rheinland isn't such a huge pain.

feller
Jul 5, 2006

Man, why do people still respond to mans

feller
Jul 5, 2006

Mans posted:

because i am the voice of the people. i am the voice of counters. i am the voice of more EU4 DLC. i am the voice of Rome 2.

i take it back. I take it all back

feller
Jul 5, 2006

ArchangeI posted:

My favorite part of the counter chat are the people who loudly proclaim that they don't care how information is presented in a video game and then post multi-page screeds about how using counters is basically the holocaust all over again.

My favorite part was where a supermodel proposed to me and I won the lottery.

feller
Jul 5, 2006

Get a bigger monitor

feller
Jul 5, 2006

WeaponGradeSadness posted:

I've said it before and I'll keep saying it, I seriously think Waldetoft is the best game composer in the business. It's amazing to me how consistently he turns out really great soundtracks.

Especially the vick2 one!

feller
Jul 5, 2006

CharlestheHammer posted:

I will never get people's obsession with controlling what topics the threads are allowed to discuss.

and yet, I never see you in GBS

feller
Jul 5, 2006

Stairmaster posted:

did... did you just try to own someone by saying they don't post in gbs?

no... no i did not

(I like charles and regencies)

feller
Jul 5, 2006

I haven't played any HOI. What's stopping the Germany and Russia players from allying (or NAPing for real) and just stomping everyone else?

feller
Jul 5, 2006

Drone posted:

Stellaris went up for pre-order on Steam.

Normal Pre-Order ($39):
  • "Send your name to space" gimmick where they write your name on some weather balloon or something.
  • Blorg forum avatar
  • Mobile ringtones
  • "Creatures of the Void" racial cosmetic pack DLC which include some really awesome ones like: Hydra/Xenomorph, Evil Porcupine, Dinosaur Bird, Shadowy Anthropoid and Fungoid Infected Mammalian

Digital Deluxe "Nova" Edition Pre-Order ($49):
  • Everything included in the normal pre-order tier
  • 2.5 hour soundtrack
  • Forum icon
  • Exclusive alien cosmetic DLC (space spiders)

Collector's "Galaxy" Edition Pre-Order ($69):
  • Everything in previous two tiers
  • Stellaris novel by Steven Savile (e-book)
  • Digital collector's art book
  • Signed desktop wallpaper
  • A unique forum avatar that looks like a spacefrog
  • A different forum icon

Everyone hurry up and pre-order so you can cancel it at the drop of a hat!

You uhh get the game too right?

feller
Jul 5, 2006

Jobbo_Fett posted:

Yes, but the AI had a very, very hard time following that. It was more a suggestion really, one that was quickly binned.

Also, Paradox, for the love of Sweden let me pre-order HOI IV already!

They're not going to run out hoi4s

feller
Jul 5, 2006

Vivian Darkbloom posted:

There are over a dozen factors that can all swing a battle, it's an obtuse combat system. The kind of thing you were complaining about in Stellaris an hour ago.

complex and obtuse are not the same thing buddy

feller
Jul 5, 2006

This just in: It's never coming out

feller
Jul 5, 2006

Koramei posted:

the first DLC will be about China, the second will be about fleshing out straights". It'd definitely make it a lot easier to make a decision on whether to get it or not.

cishet scum

feller
Jul 5, 2006

Fintilgin posted:

They should make a Rome II.

This but march of eagles

feller
Jul 5, 2006

Riso posted:

Slavery and genocide no problem but human whites only mods go too far!

Curious what your forums search string is to always show up so quickly.

feller
Jul 5, 2006

Enjoy posted:

It was a passive-aggressive joke about his joke not being funny enough to recognise as a joke, if you must know!

hmm well yours was even worse

feller
Jul 5, 2006

Zombiepop posted:

Yeah you are right, but scenarios are so boring, I would rather see HoI become more grand strategy, Seeing the world facture and rebuild from ww1 to whenever. Just make sure new nations pop up after each major conflict to keep the map fresh.

That's the opposite of casual friend. You are not casual

feller
Jul 5, 2006

This is the first time I've ever seen the CSA survive. I didn't even have anything to do with it. I've been in my own hell wars vs. France and the UK before. My military tech is so bad

Mexico's wargoal is Arizona.

feller
Jul 5, 2006

rest in peace :(

feller
Jul 5, 2006

Isn't there a return province button you can use to just give Ceuta back to morocco? Also why does iOS capitalize Ceuta but not morocco?

feller
Jul 5, 2006

corn in the bible posted:

I always have trouble knowing which to build

Booze and guns just like IRL

feller
Jul 5, 2006

Koramei posted:

Don't worry about it, nobody knows; I think that's like the third situation since it was added 2 years ago I've heard about it actually being relevant.

It's funny though, I was watching a DDRjake run from before Art of War came out and he was constantly getting questions about "just how monumental do you think sorties are gonna be??" "will it totally change how land warfare works?"

nope

It was going to be a huge change until they announced carpet sieging was going away anyway in favor of forts and ZoC.

feller
Jul 5, 2006

Perfidious albion at it again

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

feller
Jul 5, 2006

RestRoomLiterature- posted:

Hoi4 is good. Fix naval and air warfare, and for some reason that air war interface and you'll be good.

Vicky can't be salvaged however

Vicky is wonderful and beautiful unlike you who is the opposite!!