Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Forsythia
Jan 28, 2007

You want bad advice?

Anything is okay if you don't get caught!

... I hope this helps!
What did the multi-month F2P beta actually accomplish? I was expecting the relaunch to have significant issues, but this even more chaotic than I guessed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Forsythia
Jan 28, 2007

You want bad advice?

... I hope this helps!

Cythereal posted:

I do like the game's embrace of a cartoony atmosphere both in visual design and story/characters rather than a grimdark please-take-us-seriously approach like most MMOs

Isn't this the game that kills a pregnant woman for drama?

Forsythia
Jan 28, 2007

You want bad advice?

... I hope this helps!
This video does a rundown of why Scarlet Blade exceptionally terrible. Its more typical MMO sins are eclipsed by that. (I would post the video inline, but the thumbnail is potentially NSFW)

Wildstar might technically be a better game than this, but is more fun to poke at since most of its issues stem from arrogance and mismanagement.

Forsythia
Jan 28, 2007

You want bad advice?

... I hope this helps!

The Moon Monster posted:

I was trying to find a funny Scarlet Blade gif to post but the first hit on google was a forum discussing it where one of the posters literally has links to prostitution websites in his sig so I'm just posting that instead. Enjoy.

:nws:http://forum.mmosite.com/thread/2/185/20120605/AO_Queens_Blade_Media_Scarlet_Blade-4fcdba41ef3673713-4.html

Prostitution guy posted:

Queens Blade Media is my favorite game. Thanks.

Scarlet Blade sure knows its audience... :barf:

Forsythia
Jan 28, 2007

You want bad advice?

... I hope this helps!

The Chairman posted:

I guess this is one way of making a new zone on the cheap

Cool weather effects in Dun Morogh!

Forsythia
Jan 28, 2007

You want bad advice?

... I hope this helps!
I can understand the reason for delaying the holiday content. Wildstar got into trouble early on in its life by patching too often and generating piles of bugs. Forcing the holidays through that year would have surely caused even more problems at that point.

But man, literally canceling Christmas is a nightmare for PR, especially for a game that was already struggling.

Forsythia
Jan 28, 2007

You want bad advice?

... I hope this helps!
Wildstar and Star Citizen are apples and oranges. They're both ambitious sci-fi video games hamstrung by incompetent design and management, but the journeys starting from their conception to their ultimate demise are very different. Wildstar was funded and developed much more conventionally, while Star Citizen is a giant crowdfunded bloated mess.

Looks like Wildstar will taper off with a whimper, but who knows what will happen to the insanity that is Star Citizen. They're both fun to watch implode, though.

Forsythia
Jan 28, 2007

You want bad advice?

... I hope this helps!

AbrahamLincolnLog posted:

Literally what happened to me. I was pretty sold on Wildstar because it was coming out at the time that WoW was in a pre-expansion lull, then they tweeted out that infographic about the attunements to even start raiding.

I've never skipped buying a game because of a tweet before but Wildstar did it.

It's part of what made this game's failure so funny. They had the perfect window of opportunity to launch and completely bungled it with dated design and show-stopping bugs.

Forsythia
Jan 28, 2007

You want bad advice?

... I hope this helps!
They're only considering dissolving the faction system now? It's such a dated and unnecessary gameplay mechanic, and should've been thrown out years ago. I suppose that like many of Wildstar's poor design choices, it was chosen because World of Warcraft has it.

Forsythia
Jan 28, 2007

You want bad advice?

... I hope this helps!
People have been race changing/faction changing in WoW to take advantage of racial abilities for as long as the service has been offered. They really should have locked them out of PvP or dumped them altogether, but then again...

Blizzard probably gets a nice chunk of change by fleecing the people chasing the flavor of the month. It's not healthy for the game, but :effort:

Forsythia
Jan 28, 2007

You want bad advice?

... I hope this helps!

The Chairman posted:

It's true. The post-kill tweaks are why a big chunk of the raiding population quit outright.

That's one of the things that keeps drawing me back to gawk at this trainwreck. They explicitly made a game aimed at ultra-hardcore grognards, then punished them for doing the raid content. What did they think would happen? Just how arrogant were the guys making these calls?

Forsythia
Jan 28, 2007

You want bad advice?

... I hope this helps!

The Moon Monster posted:

I think the ways raid guild would beat these bosses were considered bugs or exploits because they used unintended strategies to take down the bosses more easily than intended. Of course they resorted to this because the bosses were balanced to be literally unbeatable. Because the 40 man raid wasn't actually finished so that's how they gated it off.

Yes, exactly. Watching world firsts to monitor exploits and unintended behavior is normal. Some of that is inevitable in an MMO, and that stuff needs to be patched up. But then Carbine didn't offer a way for the content to be completed legitimately. The very same content they advertised as the selling feature of the game. :what:

Forsythia
Jan 28, 2007

You want bad advice?

... I hope this helps!

Anoia posted:

After years of people begging for Aurin Warriors it appears Carbine was playing a game of telephone. 990 is about $10 btw

Why are people talking about Warcraft when this nugget is here? I know that FTP games have to earn revenue, but this boggles me.

1. The game is two years old: restricted race/class combos and horrible leveling is a relic of WoW-era design and shouldn't be a thing you pay to bypass in a new game. 2. Those are some high prices for a feature just now implemented in a game that's been blatantly bleeding out since it launched.

Forsythia
Jan 28, 2007

You want bad advice?

... I hope this helps!

Deki posted:

It's kind of weird but I'll disagree with the Grognard focus being what ended up killing Wildstar. It didn't help but most of the poo poo hidden behind horrible grinds wasn't even stuff casual players would want to do.

Why not both?

What max-level content is there for those not interested in raiding? As far as I can tell, it's daily quests and housing. When a significant portion of the endgame is spent on something a casual player can't or won't do, people get bored. Combine that with the showstopping bugs at every level and you have a recipe for failure.

Forsythia
Jan 28, 2007

You want bad advice?

... I hope this helps!

Rhymenoserous posted:

Oh you glorious stupid bastards. The unfriendly amp/ability tier system and how loving horrible it is for alts to deal with is literally why I quit the game, and naturally the response is to sell it for real money. poo poo like amps/abilities and runes, and how absolutely money sucking/hostile to players it all is literally loses players by the bucketloads. The response shouldn't be "Sell it for real money" the response should be "Make it easier to get".

This is a system straight out of your average exploitative Korean MMO.

Forsythia
Jan 28, 2007

You want bad advice?

... I hope this helps!

Thursday Next posted:

Complete agreement. If you have the logs to prove it - and for an in-game transaction from an NPC vendor, you do - then give 'em back their filthy luchre.

World of Warcraft now has vendor buyback like this. No ticket needed. I bought the wrong item? No problem; just sell it right back to that same vendor. The really cool thing is it even works on the various funbux currencies WoW implements. You'll always get the exact same currency and same amount refunded. It's a very simple and very good fix that should be standard.

World of Warcraft has the extended buyback feature in-game for a while, but don't forget their more intense restoration service for these mistakes. They have special webpage where you can specifically ask to retrieve valuable items you deleted or vendored. You don't even need to remember the items because it will kindly list the candidates for you! No need to file a ticket with a human GM, just use the automated service. Between these two refund/restoration mechanisms, it solves the vast majority of these kind of issues. But they had that set up back in, what, 2012?

The fact that Wildstar, a 2014 release, can't do either kind of service for its subscribers shows that the developers had little foresight, the game's coding is too poorly made to handle it, or both.

Forsythia
Jan 28, 2007

You want bad advice?

... I hope this helps!
I wonder how backed up Wildstar's support is by now. How many people can they field for that?

Forsythia
Jan 28, 2007

You want bad advice?

... I hope this helps!

CoffeeBooze posted:

This is why Carbine's quarterly content promise was so hilariously empty. Its like they hadnt learned anything from MMO development over the past decade.

Didn't they promise to have significant content patches monthly? And then the sheer amount of bugs introduced by patching so quickly torpedoed that strategy?

Forsythia
Jan 28, 2007

You want bad advice?

... I hope this helps!
Why do people still care about "ex-World of Warcraft developers"? There's so many of them that the label is meaningless.

Forsythia
Jan 28, 2007

You want bad advice?

... I hope this helps!

Rhymenoserous posted:

Protogames (The fifth) was obnoxiously hard.

This was supposed to be a tutorial dungeon:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2plrOpjZhEw&t=211s

If your party didn't interrupt the boss in time she'd cause a wipe. And they used to have an announcer snark at you as you revived. :thumbsup:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l8JOoPuPcKk

Do you have a link to that testing thread, Shy?

Forsythia fucked around with this message at 15:19 on Apr 4, 2017

Forsythia
Jan 28, 2007

You want bad advice?

... I hope this helps!

CoffeeBooze posted:

I feel legit bad for most of the people who worked on this game. The Glassdoor reviews for Carbine made it clear management was a bunch of crunch happy idiots who way overworked their staff for pay below the industry average. Then once the game released and promptly started to fall apart those managers who had created the mess promptly hosed off to more lucrative positions as they failed upwards, leaving the poor sods who worked on the game stuck trying to fix the mess, only to be slowly but steadily laid off and sent off to collect unemployment.

Wildstars development history really does read like a bad con job.

Yeah, I feel bad for the majority of the people that did make this game. They weren't in charge of the "hardcore!" marketing, unsustainable monetization model, disorganized patching system, excessive crunch time, unfriendly edgy attitude, doofy art direction, etc. Wasn't their fault that the management steered the whole project into a dumpster fire. The remaining staff have nothing to do with these toxic leaders who jumped ship long ago.

Forsythia
Jan 28, 2007

You want bad advice?

... I hope this helps!

Pants Donkey posted:

This absolutely boggles my mind. It's like year 5 of development and they have nothing, but people keep funneling money into its development.

I mean, I get it: having people preorder ship or whatever the gently caress was a brilliant move that kept nerds shoveling cash because they didn't want their $1000 "investment" in digital spaceships to go up in smoke. Not to mention exploiting nerds' competitiveness in the same way.

I saw it explained this way:

They promised to expand the scope of the game if they got more money. They keep getting more money, and they keep adding feature bloat accordingly. Unlike conventionally funded games, they have no publisher pressuring them to finalize and cut things and actually release the drat product, so this will go on indefinitely.

Forsythia
Jan 28, 2007

You want bad advice?

... I hope this helps!

Rhymenoserous posted:

I liked the opening desert zones, but hated the opening snow zones.

I remember people complaining about the early snow zone. What went wrong with it?

Forsythia
Jan 28, 2007

You want bad advice?

... I hope this helps!
So that zone has a deadly combination of unbalanced power curve, generic level design, and long transit time. Peoples' descriptions of it make me think of 2007 era WoW and its despised expansion zone, Blade's Edge Mountains, except that this one isn't remotely interesting to look at.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Forsythia
Jan 28, 2007

You want bad advice?

... I hope this helps!

:eyepop:

Wildstar was horribly managed, but at least they didn't piss away their money into a luxury bus and irrelevant music videos...

• Locked thread