Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

Zeroisanumber posted:

You would lose your job, I would lose my job, and one of the central underpinnings of the global financial order would come crashing down bringing chaos.

The GOP fanatics who might pull the pin on that don't believe that it will do anything because they live in a world without consequence or something.

http://www.politico.com/story/2011/07/bachmann-debt-deal-failing-wont-cause-default-060172

It's literally Underpants Gnome logic.

Tea Party Steps to Better Government:

1.) Cause government to default
2.) ???
3.) Profit

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

Hollismason posted:

Paul Ryan. Speaker of the House.

If it helps any, like 80% of the students at Miami University look like that. He's just continuing his idea of a young, hip college student.

[e]: When I was with the Inside Washington program, we saw him in the Capitol building and he walked right past us without as much as a "Hi" or a second glance. Douchebag.

Teriyaki Koinku fucked around with this message at 14:10 on Oct 12, 2015

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

zoux posted:

What that quote demonstrates to me is that the concerns of the gun rights person isn't even on the same planet as the concerns of the rest of the country.

The state of gun laws we have now demonstrates the logical conclusion of exalting individual rights to the detriment of society as a whole. We fetishize "individual liberty" even if it means the rest of society has to suffer for it. :911:

Also see the debt ceiling debacle each time it comes up. American Conservatives are willing to throw the rest of society and the world economy to the fire as long as they can satiate whatever desire for personal freedom and notion of responsibility is necessary, even if it flies in the face of reality. I guess that is what happens when you turn Ayn Rand into a role model and idol.

Teriyaki Koinku fucked around with this message at 16:21 on Oct 12, 2015

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

Monkey Fracas posted:

Where are these "extreme liberals" that are supposedly the counterpoint to the Tea Party that I keep hearing about in various popular media?

Yep each party definitely has equal numbers of unreasonably insane people!!! For sure, really!

You don't need facts, just suitable head canon.

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

Kitfox88 posted:

But spacemosins and HSLD mall ninja tacticool SKSs are funny as hell though, unlike rolling coal. :v:

The hell is a spacemosin? :confused:

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!
Anyone got a link or summary of what Chafee did to gaffe so badly for those who didn't watch the debate?

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

Pick posted:

He blamed a poor vote on Glass-Steagall on it being "his first day" and that his dad had just died.

Wow. Good job, Chafee. :downsbravo:

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!
Dumb question, but even with that being the case for Chafee, couldn't he have just voted abstain or excused himself from attendance altogether?

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!
Thanks for the responses, guys.

fade5 posted:

In addition to the horror show discussed above, Chafee was an unwitting part of the best part of the debate: after Anderson Cooper brought up Hillary's email thing, Bernie went in defense of Clinton and said "enough with the drat emails", and then Chafee went charging on ahead with the emails anyway, and set himself up for Hillary to put his head on a loving pike with one single word:

Anderson Cooper: "Secretary Clinton do you want to respond?"

Hillary Clinton: "No.":vince:

In video form:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9P5JTQLdPLA
Part one
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f06slMOBfMg
Part two

Bernie owns.

Chafee sucks.

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

MGDRAGOON posted:

Holy poo poo. He literally just said "we're making so much money loving the employees that we don't lose money when we don't gently caress the employees! Which we don't do because we just gently caress them."

All that matters is saving more money, getting rid of job killing regulations, and quarterly profits. Literally nothing else matters.

Free markets.

More blood for the blood God. Hail Satan. Cthulhu fhtagn.

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

its incredibly chill how none of these dumbfucks have a clue what kind of fire they're playing with.

And some are even elected to national office!

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

pathetic little tramp posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nfkYfPNckIM

I'll never forget that horrible disaster that uh.... happened sometime, you know, with the thing? That uh... you know the thing?

(also jesus christ the man looks beaten down)

:cripes: Jesus, Jeb! is so pathetic it's laughable.

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

Hollismason posted:

Maybe they think this is the only way they can win the 2016 elections? Cause the default and destroy Obama's "legacy" and we go into the 2016 election with unemployment sky high and the econmy destroyed.

A populist message at that point would be very popular.

So would no-kidding jackboot fascism. I don't see that as an appealing outcome.

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

Epic High Five posted:

I imagine he'll find the votes when Chinese assassins start offing the Freedom Caucus because a US default means China loses at least 1/3 of its economy overnight

Assuming the world economy went bust, what kind of an outcry would there be from the world community from essentially imploding the international order over demands to curtail women's reproductive rights?

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

Lord Hydronium posted:

I don't know if that's better or worse than a I guy I knew who explained that peak oil wouldn't be a problem because of the free market. Not how, just the free market would somehow do something. At least God has magic to fall back on.

The "Free Market" is more or less God magic in that mindset anyways, so the difference is moot.

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

ComradeCosmobot posted:

If people can still insist there was a stand down order issued after seven committees found nothing, they can find a way.

People know the answer to this riddle already, they just need the evidence to match up to the conclusion. :downs:

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

Rhesus Pieces posted:

Partially because there's absolutely no reason for it to ever happen unless we go crazy and do it on purpose. It's like someone refusing to pay their electric bill when they live in a house made entirely out of hundred dollar bills.

The debt ceiling issue is basically this but in real life:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=NITBfc1EOBo

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!
People here are already putting up Hillary for Prison 2016 lawn signs. :cripes:

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

Epic High Five posted:

Cleared of all suspicion by the IRS and Committee To Find Hillary Guilty #8 couldn't find anything in 11 hours

Oh yeah, she's guilty

"We KNOW she's guilty! We just need the EVIDENCE that proves it!" :argh:

BUBBA GAY DUDLEY posted:

NPR is doing a story about vilerat's Eve Online stuff right now. Its so nerdy.

Link?

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

Pastor Perineum posted:

this guy's son:

The similarity is uncanny...

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!
Just for shits and giggles: how would the IMF and World Bank react should the US face default? Being based in the US notwithstanding, they are eager to jump and dictate terms to other countries in similar debt situations and would be hypocritical to ignore the US in a similar case.

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

mlmp08 posted:

Weird. Looks like a hoarder who took hoarding to a new level by having thieves fence guns to him then he would just hoard them. Article says they're almost entirely shotguns and hunting rifles. Also had over 150 chainsaws.

150 chainsaws? :stare:

Like, what would you even do with that many chainsaws? I think this is more TLC-style hoarders than anything else.

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

On Terra Firma posted:

A really impressive juggling routine.

Literally made me :lol:. Thanks for that!

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

If you had asked me at the beginning of this campaign cycle, I would have told you JEB! was the for-sure GOP nominee.

Now, I don't really know. Will the GOP establishment concede the nomination to Trump purely on the basis of voter popularity? How does this size up with his superficial attempt in the 2012 cycle?

For as much as I should hate Trump for his reality show personality and policies, I can't help but love him for obliterating his primary competition. :allears:

[e]: Also, did Florida goons know about JEB! all this time? How did he mask his incompetence for so long on the national level? If JEB! was so awful at politics this whole time, then what does that say about his Florida competitors for governor?

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

Popular Thug Drink posted:

we really should teach basic drug safety in schools, right after we talk about condoms.

Good loving luck with that.

In a lot of states, sex ed amounts to "100% abstinence no questions asked, now look at all these horrible STIs you'll definitely get from pre-marital sex!" But that's a separate discussion, I suppose.

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

That seems... Awfully similar to encouraging students to report on teachers/professors for not adhering to Maoist orthodoxy during the Cultural Revolution. :china:

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

Iowa Snow King posted:

I didn't get this, but some people I know who are younger than I am, and who got their sex ed during the Bush years did. Holy poo poo, I wonder how much damage that did.

For high school sex ed in Ohio, we had an 80 year old (thereabouts) guest speaker come in for one class, wrote the word "Abstinence" on the chalk board, then used a laser pointer to trace a circle around it while repeating "Freedom!" :byodame: over and over again.

We laughed about it after class, but I can't make this poo poo up.

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!
So, does this new budget deal have the blessing of the HFC? Or are they still going to hold the debt ceiling hostage until everything goes sideways?

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

Grapplejack posted:

If Trump makes it to the general we'll finally have a good benchmark on the question of "Will Americans Accept Fascism"

I dunno, I think Carson makes a stronger case for theocratic fascism already being accepted in theory.

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

Massasoit posted:

My pediatrician on the other hand told me to be abstinent only. Or as he said it "penis in the pants" while wagging his finger.

I'm imagining him saying this in a Borat-esque voice: "Naughty, naughty! Never gonna get this!"

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

Von Sloneker posted:

Yeah where is Lindsey After Dark happening because I see people tweeting about it but have no idea.

Also the girl who filmed the classroom assault was on Chris Hayes earlier and said even before this, the students all referred to the cop as "Officer Slam." Rumors of body slamming pregnant women, etc.

edit: I guess it's happening wherever that pic was taken, heh

To be fair, Officer Slam would be a baller alias as a pro wrestler.

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

Phone posted:

In the series, a number of characters have the middle initial "D.". This mysterious initial has been called the "Will of D." or "D.'s will" by several characters in One Piece.

"I'm gonna be the Pirate King!" - Paul D. Ryan

Teriyaki Koinku fucked around with this message at 23:06 on Oct 28, 2015

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

JonathonSpectre posted:

I still can't believe the poo poo I saw last night. We are in a lot of trouble if any of these people make it into the White House, not just because of their troglodyte fantasy ideas but because of what it says about the electorate in our country. If a majority of people can't see right through stupid poo poo like, "Well, I think 10% is enough for GOD so it should be enough for MAMMON!" or "WEED is the biggest scourge in our country!" then maybe we really do deserve to burn.

This will never grow old or fail to sum everything up.

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

Stereotype posted:

They haven't been even tangentially part of objective reality for at least 30 years.

The GOP is a part of reality.

...just the echo chamber reality specially designed for a specific headcanon and reinforced since childhood (with authoritarian family/church structures) through adulthood (right-wing media sources). :ssh:

An intellectual walled garden, if you will.

Prester John's thread on authoritarianism is a great primer on this audience.

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

:vince:

Holy loving :laffo:

USPOL November - "because... voters have A.D.D."

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

30.5 Days posted:

Does jeb! not understand the hows and whys of people lying to pollsters? Yeah, they said yes. That doesn't mean they believe it, or that you should say it.

Looks like they missed the verify part of "Trust, but Verify."

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

Mooseontheloose posted:

That's actually really weird results if it was republicans because they basically all say, yah clinton has the expierence and cares about me on some level. I just don't trust her. And if that's the case, Bush is fuuuuuucked in a general.

Remember: we just had the eighth Benghazi hearing to vilify HRC and Republicans hate the everloving piss out of Clinton. Jeb! barely edges out against her in a poll mostly meant for Republicans.

¡Jeb! is toast.

Teriyaki Koinku fucked around with this message at 02:48 on Oct 30, 2015

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

foobardog posted:

Why are you using an obvious push poll as if it's meaningful? :psyduck:

If this is how Republicans handle polling no wonder Romney thought he was going to coast to victory.

Can't challenge the Narrative(tm) too hard, you see...

Mooseontheloose posted:

I'll never understand it.

HRC, although she's great at politics, does so transparently which ironically rubs people the wrong way for being disingenuous (which, you know, playing the politics game as a career is all about).

As with pork barrel spending, people really don't like seeing (to borrow the Beltway phrase) "how the sausage gets made."

That's how we end up with shithead Tea Partiers who refuse to govern. It's what the electorate really wants!

Teriyaki Koinku fucked around with this message at 02:55 on Oct 30, 2015

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

Stereotype posted:

There can be no bigger disaster for Jeb Bush's campaign than Jeb Bush

I wonder if it's not too late for Jeb to replace himself with a stack of three toddlers in a trench coat and glasses to pose as him. It can't be any worse for his campaign, it could even be an improvement.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!
USPol derails are the best derails.

For content:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qw7KHz5jUp8

I still can't get over how dumb and bad this Carson political ad is. It's pretty much :downs:: the Campaign Ad.

"Did you know Washington is built... on a swamp???" ENHANCE.

"Special interest... politics???" :confused:

Teriyaki Koinku fucked around with this message at 17:14 on Oct 30, 2015

• Locked thread