Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
radical meme
Apr 17, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

OAquinas posted:

This legislative session is setting records for the least output of anything, ever.

The GOP is dangerously close to getting their wish of utterly breaking the US government.

For 30 years the GOP has been saying that "government is the problem" and talking about how they want to dismantle it. People who hate government and want to destroy it are not good at actually governing. Weird how that works.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

radical meme
Apr 17, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

zoux posted:

I dunno if Trump has a plan, he seems to me like the dog that caught the car.

Either way this is hilarious in a sick, twisted way because Trump is pushing all of the establishment candidates out of the race before even one vote is cast and there are still 4 GOP debates scheduled before the Iowa Caucus.

radical meme
Apr 17, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

evilweasel posted:

I think Jeb is clearly done though. Rubio seems to be the likely 'establishment' candidate at this point. If I had to bet though, I'd probably bet on Trump given the odds everyone is giving him, hes got a much better shot than people are willing to admit.

So Conventional Wisdom will go down the tubes this election cycle? I'm still not convinced of that. I still think, maybe even hope, that people in the establishment, on both sides, have control over GOT ground game and local sway over base voters. If they don't and if Trump doesn't take the nomination, then I think it's far more likely that we will be looking at candidate Ted Cruz, not Rubio; because if the establishment doesn't matter then Cruz has just as much money as Rubio and he's a far better public speaker. Plus Cruz has the backing of every Radio Talking Head.

radical meme
Apr 17, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Miltank posted:

Cruz has a long term plan to be the last acceptable candidate remaining after Trump destroys all of the more conventional establishment candidates.

I am seriously scared shitless by the possibility of President Ted Cruz.

When Super Tuesday arrives, if the two leading candidates are Trump and Cruz, I'm voting Trump and praying that every other Democrat does as well.

radical meme
Apr 17, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Gravel Gravy posted:

Did Vince Foster get a promotion we didn't know about?

Maybe there's more to Benghazi than we know? Could it be we haven't found the one email that breaks it all open?

radical meme
Apr 17, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

ComradeCosmobot posted:

The New York Times got in touch with a few FBI investigators who are working on e-mail-gate angry about Obama trying to defend the party. The Times also politely likens the situation to David Petraeus.

Whoever it is is going around to news outlets to claim that Hillary is liable for 10 years in prison for the debacle but only the Daily Mail bit.

Drudge, naturally is having a field day about this.

I swear to God, the NYTimes hates the Clintons more than any other right wing rag sheet, more than any talking head on radio. Years ago, Bill must have butt hosed some matriarch of the Ochs-Sulzberger family and left without even a goodnight kiss because they are more bitter and spiteful than all the right wing media groups combined.

radical meme
Apr 17, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Rollofthedice posted:

Did she do anything to piss of the NYT in particular or is it a general "we hate clinton" kind of thing?

My personal opinion, after going through the years of the great american dick hunt, specifically Bill's dick, during which I actually subscribed to the NYTimes, its more a general, "we don't like these uppity, uncouth hillbillies from Arkansas" type of hatred.

radical meme
Apr 17, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

The poor kid, football player, that died was named "Expavious Tyrell Taylor". A name meant for greatness; a shame it had to be the name of a martyr.

radical meme fucked around with this message at 19:10 on Oct 18, 2015

radical meme
Apr 17, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Living in Texas, I have been shocked and appalled at the dramatic rise in home prices; especially and almost exclusively since 2008. When the crash hit in 2008, home prices here were mostly stable and no where near as inflated as on the coasts. In the past several years, I want to say last 4-5, home prices have gone crazy. In some areas, Grapevine, Colleyville, South Lake, Allen, Frisco, and many others, homes that were priced in mid 100s to 200s have sky rocketed to values approaching 400. It's insane. It's bad for the economy and it's especially bad for young people. Plus, since our schools in Texas are primarily financed through property taxes, if there is a crash or a huge correction, our schools will be facing a catastrophic loss of revenue and I'm sure other states are in the same boat.

radical meme fucked around with this message at 22:53 on Oct 20, 2015

radical meme
Apr 17, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

DemeaninDemon posted:

Starter home is a stupid dumb thing anyway.

I would tend to agree however, starter or otherwise, it's becoming increasingly difficult for a young person to even break into the housing market at any level. I think this is really bad because, I think real estate is one of the few truly reliable investments that anyone can make and it is, historically, a really good way to make a long term investment that really does pay a return on your investment at the end. It's not a perfect investment, but it's historically sound and now, the ability of young people to make that sort of investment is being negated.

radical meme
Apr 17, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

evilweasel posted:

A house is an investment. It may not be a good investment but it's absolutely an investment.

computer parts posted:

So, not for young people like the post I should've quoted.

I think it completely depends on what the young person's priorities are. For a lot of young people, mobility is an important priority and it should be. For some, those that already started a family, locking into a stable investment in a good school district can be a priority and that's where home ownership can become important. It's not the best investment in the world but, historically, it's low risk. But, if that opportunity isn't even available any more then young people are worse off than if they had that option; it's an option that is increasingly only available to the wealthy few.

radical meme
Apr 17, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Alfred P. Pseudonym posted:

So is there anyone on the right claiming that today went badly for Clinton, aside from Drudge clinging to the coughing fit?

Listening earlier tonight, Mark Levin was calling it a huge success for the GOP that they were finally showing proof of the lies Hillary told. But he was going to say that no matter what happened. I seriously think the guy will stroke out if Hillary wins the election.

radical meme
Apr 17, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
I thought this was an interesting article in VOX. It's critical of right wing fund raising in general and the Carson campaign in particular.

quote:

Even Ben Carson's presidential campaign has something of this air about it. Carson is currently in second place in national polls and leading in Iowa. His campaign is raising tons of money from small donors and is spending most of that money on fundraising. People are giving Carson money so that he'll have the money to ask more people for money. It's a form of pyramid scheme. There's no real field operation, policy staff, or any other manifestation of the kind of campaign apparatus that could plausibly result in victory.

But in both cases there is the appearance of a growing movement, as manifested in an ever-increasing din of fundraising solicitations, though there's little in the way of actual movement building or policy progress. Yet it's all perfectly legal, and when the groups of the day end up collapsing, the consulting operations behind them can always find new ones.

This is in contrast to the campaign of Trump where there have been several stories this past month about his attempts to actually build a ground force in primary states, hiring local campaign managers in places like Texas. Doesn't mean that Trump is going to win but, there is a clear distinction between his campaign and the bullshit book selling tour that is Carson's campaign.

radical meme
Apr 17, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

STAC Goat posted:

Does the South just embrace the gently caress out of childish nicknames and that's the problem?

Yes.

radical meme
Apr 17, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

ComradeCosmobot posted:

My understanding is that Vilerat's wife counted as his "immediate family." And since his mother was somewhat estranged from him because of his choice of wife... Well, you get the picture.

Right after Benghazi went down, I listened to a Hannity radio show where they had the mom on and Hannity gave her a ton of time to vent. She made it pretty clear that she was insane, she was extremely estranged from her son and it was most likely due to his marriage and her own insanity, and she was more loving pissed that her daughter in-law and grandchildren were still alive than she was about her son being dead because they, Vilerat's family, would have nothing to do with her. The woman is seriously bat poo poo crazy and an easy mark for right wing talking heads.

radical meme
Apr 17, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Hollismason posted:

Hmmmmm my medication is 6,888.88 I just checked that's for a 1 month supply of 1 medication. In total my medical bills are for medication just for last month 9,000 Dollars.

So hrmm I need to save 108,000 dollars a year from birth to pay for my medication.

Good Lord, I'm so sorry to hear that! I really am.

But yeah, in Ben Carson's America, you're loving dead.

radical meme
Apr 17, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

ComradeCosmobot posted:

My understanding is that they not only want to get the candidates on record about racial profiling, but also things like welfare, mandatory minimum sentencing, and pretty much every racially-associated political topic.

BLM is less organized and way less useful than OWS ever was. This is the worst idea ever and the only result that would come out of it is an endless loop of ads that would be run against Hillary in the general election.

If BLM wants to make a difference, then let them get involved in City, State and local elections and force these kind of debates at the local and state level where they could actually influence legislation that matters. They need to stay the gently caress out of Presidential politics. Forcing Bernie and Hillary to kowtow to an unorganized, rudderless group is bad optics.

radical meme
Apr 17, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

BetterToRuleInHell posted:

And now, a slice of life (it's MSNBC, talking about politics or something) -- watch what you say around Melissa Harris Perry:

Check your work privilege, motherfucker :argh: As a matter of fact, don't even describe people in any way at all because SLAVERY.

Melissa Harris Perry is the liberal that Bill Maher mocks.

I don't watch TV news so I didn't even know who this was. I was thinking, "is that Rick Perry's wife", which would have been a perfect bookend to the name of the Perry hunting reserve. Imagine my surprise.

radical meme
Apr 17, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

paranoid randroid posted:

BLM's idea for a 7th debate is actually extremely good

No, it's not. BLM is not an organization, it's a meme, a hashtag. The people behind BLM are destructive to their own ideas and their own communities. BLM should be ignored, so they can fade away into obscurity; just like OWS.

radical meme
Apr 17, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Lessail posted:

"A debate focusing solely on the issues facing minorities is a bad idea "

even if you believe BLM has failed, we kinda need to have a serious loving discussion in this country about how its basically legal to murder black people, so yeah a debate specifically on that topic is not unwarranted

That's not what BLM wants. Read the article I posted and then tell me how the people behind BLM want an honest debate about anything.

radical meme
Apr 17, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

wait who are these unitary BLM people, i thought they werent an organization??

Their not.

radical meme
Apr 17, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

evilweasel posted:

There is no chance in hell the Supreme Court would take the case. The Supreme Court is not willing to issue orders on how military units are to be deployed and used: if Congress is unhappy with the President over the use of force, their remedy is impeachment.

Or they could just act; as in do something. Of course the party in charge is going to do nothing because they'd rather be able to bitch about it than actually take responsibility.

radical meme
Apr 17, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

ComradeCosmobot posted:

The New York Times' headline story today is an investigation into those pesky arbitration clauses.

Among the (unsurprising) facts uncovered are that corporations' claims that arbitration would allow individuals to resolve their grievances easily was a lie: 80% of class-action suits that companies try to push into arbitration end up losing class-action status, and only 505 consumers nationwide have moved forward to arbitrate cases involving under $2,500 in losses between 2010 and 2014 given the high costs of arbitration (one man mentioned in the article has spent $35,000 in arbitration over a $125 late fee on his credit card, a category of arbitration in which two-thirds of consumers fail to win any monetary awards).

As a result, corporations have been largely getting away with fleecing consumers scott-free, as planned.

But it's not just consumers: the Times has also found that the biggest growth sector for applying arbitration clauses is in labor disputes, allowing them to push wage disputes and discrimination claims into arbitration as well.

This is really a very big deal; the systematic destruction of our judicial system right here. But, it's such a wonky issue that it's almost impossible to get people worked up over it. Corporations, especially insurance companies, have been hacking away at our open court system for decades. People don't concern themselves with it until it directly affects them or a close family member and then it's too late. Add in a compliant congress, at both state and federal level, and you get more and more legislation that destroys the right to civil trials. Our form of democracy, representative government, can not survive without a vibrant and active judiciary. Even libertarian poo poo-head theory depends on an active judiciary.

(I bolded my own sentence because that was really the most important point.)

radical meme
Apr 17, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Is this Beijing? It looks like a scene from Blade Runner.

radical meme
Apr 17, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

computer parts posted:

The former (evil corporations control everything) was never science fiction, especially for stuff written in the 1980s.

Philip K. Dick would like to have a word with you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

radical meme
Apr 17, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

computer parts posted:

Yep, it's like saying "oh hey they have airplanes now, isn't that cool that science fiction has become reality!"

Sorry, it went right over my head but, I agree.

• Locked thread