Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rhesus Pieces
Jun 27, 2005

quote:

@THEHermanCain: NERVE RESTORED: Excellent! Fiorina would bring back waterboarding http://t.co/3JdMUGFgck

Holy poo poo these people are monsters and have absolutely no self-awareness at all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhesus Pieces
Jun 27, 2005

SpiderHyphenMan posted:

This is only gonna change when some place like Harvard or Yale gets shot up. And I mean like a REAL mass shooting like this one apparently is with 15+ dead. Then all the Congressmen and other powerful white men in this country will go, "Oh poo poo! OUR KIDS could die next! This is a problem!" and we'll see change.

And the hosed up thing is that might be too optimistic.

A congresswoman was nearly killed in a mass shooting and nothing happened. Nearly two dozen six year olds were killed in a classroom and nothing happened. An avowed racist shot up a black church and nothing happened.

Nothing's ever going to happen. Even if there was a Mumbai-style mass shooting it would be about terrorists and not about guns.

I honestly don't know what it would take at this point. Hundreds of infants dead in a daycare mass shooting? Is it even possible to kill that many people in a mass shooting by a lone gunman, or is it capped at a couple dozen?

Rhesus Pieces
Jun 27, 2005

Haha gently caress CNN forever

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x5U_XD4kDJ4

Not so much for what they did, but for how they did it.

Rhesus Pieces
Jun 27, 2005

Riptor posted:

why are they beholden to agree with the "gunman is voldemort" crowd? It's the media's job to report on the facts of the story, including the identity of the killer

It's necessary for the media to report the facts of the story. It isn't necessary to ham-handedly glorify the killer with CoD style inventory cards and brooding quotes from his loving blog immediately after playing a clip from a cop about why that shouldn't be done.

But that's just CNN being CNN.

Rhesus Pieces
Jun 27, 2005

Fried Chicken posted:

Trump gaining ground, Carson and Fiorina fading, Rubio stumbling, Bush a tiny step up, Cruz a longer growth trend

Can't dump the Trump!

Which org is that?

Pew just put a poll up with Bush in 6th place at 4% and I cackled with glee.

Rhesus Pieces
Jun 27, 2005

Fried Chicken posted:

So Jeb just got asked about mass shootings at an event in Greenville, South Carolina. His response?

"Stuff happens"

I mean holy poo poo. How is he this loving bad. You don't want to give a policy solution you trot out some empty bromides about thoughts and prayers, say something about we need to work towards a world where love conquers hate, change the subject. You don't fumble through an answer where you use the words "stuff happens" to write off a mass shooting event

In response to every slow meaty pitch across the plate he proceeds to whiff three times and catches the ball right in the nuts.

This combined with his 4% pew poll showing is going to result in more panicked conference calls from his donors, which he's probably getting sick of by now.

He's really loving bad at this. How much longer can he openly suck like this before the money starts to wander off?

Rhesus Pieces
Jun 27, 2005

pathetic little tramp posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-mWgPmgdk6Y

50 seconds in, if the other candidates are smart, this is devastating, he says it in an absolutely shruggy way.

He actually loving doubled down on it when given a chance to clarify:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TJp4WhIASVk

Is he purposely killing his campaign or is he really this stupid?

Rhesus Pieces
Jun 27, 2005

Some journalists on Twitter are arguing that the "stuff happens" quote is being taken out of context and that everyone is freaking out that he equivocated shootings as just "stuff." Bullshit. Bush's context is that massacres happen and will continue to happen, and the government should just accept it if doing anything about it involves any sort of new regulations.

It's an unacceptable premise that would never fly for any other threat to American lives.

Rhesus Pieces
Jun 27, 2005

DeusExMachinima posted:

Where's the party that takes the (100% correct) "poo poo happens" attitude on guns, 18+ drinking, terrorism, drugs, police sobriety checkpoints, etc etc? I want to vote for that guy.

There'd better be a good reason for hostility to that one besides "I drive better when I've had a few."

Rhesus Pieces
Jun 27, 2005

DemeaninDemon posted:

Brew coffee with redbull and pour in a few shots of cheap vodka.

That sounds loving disgusting.

Rhesus Pieces
Jun 27, 2005

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

"South Carolina is in the middle of a catastrophic, thousand-year-mark flooding disaster. Who better to lift up my sagging poll numbers there than the hero of Katrina?"

lmao

How is Jeb so loving bad at this?

Rhesus Pieces
Jun 27, 2005

Mystic_Shadow posted:

It's just one of the pages from the Republican Strategy Handbook; turn your weaknesses into strengths by trying to rewrite the narrative.

In other words, gaslight the gently caress out of everybody.

Rhesus Pieces
Jun 27, 2005

Dead Reckoning posted:

She didn't get elected, so clearly their performance was unsatisfactory.

That's literally what her campaign higher-ups believe.

quote:

"People are just upset and angry and throwing her under the bus,” said Jon Cross, Fiorina’s operations director for her Senate campaign. “If we didn’t win, why do you deserve to get paid? If you don’t succeed in business, you shouldn’t be the first one to step up and complain about getting paid.”

Rhesus Pieces
Jun 27, 2005

Acebuckeye13 posted:

Please give me a source because that quote is amazing.

Here you go.

fool_of_sound posted:

Is there some loophole for campaign staff that makes this not-highly-illegal?

I have no idea, but rest assured that if any business could successfully get away with that they'd do it in a heartbeat.

Rhesus Pieces
Jun 27, 2005

quote:

@sahilkapur: House conservatives say they want to use the debt limit deadline to extract concessions. They'll demand this of the next Speaker.

@sahilkapur: Rep. Labrador says a debt default would be Obama's fault if he won't negotiate. "If he's willing to default on the debt, that's his action."

Welp, we know their intentions and exactly how they're going to spin it.

Rhesus Pieces
Jun 27, 2005

quote:

@scottbix: Three GOP Hill staffers in the past hour have told me that they're expecting McCarthy's resignation by Monday. Rep. Ellmers, too.

:munch:

Also, expect Kasich's numbers to rise after this exchange:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KMN2Whn9DNg

Rhesus Pieces
Jun 27, 2005

Isn't our old floor-making GBS threads pal Charles C. Johnson a key figure in the rumor mongering as well? That alone should cast a ton of doubt on its credibility.

Rhesus Pieces
Jun 27, 2005

CommieGIR posted:

Apparently this weekend is a big open carry protest against mosques and Muslim communities.

Oh, America, you assholes.

http://thinkprogress.org/justice/2015/10/06/3709728/american-muslims-brace-for-protests/

quote:

A similar page for a protest in Charleston, South Carolina calls Islam an “evil cult,” and a Kentucky-based group asks “fellow Patriots, Veterans, Bikers, Rednecks and Good Ol Boys” to join them outside a local Muslim community center, along with supporters in other “open carry states."

So basically a heavily-armed Klan meeting with camos instead of white hoods?

quote:

The Global Rally for Humanity Facebook page includes several videos from Jon Ritzheimer, a former U.S. Marine who helped organize the Phoenix protest. In one video, Ritzheimer calls for supporters to rally outside of “any Muslim establishment” on October 10 — including CAIR buildings — before holding up a Quran and shooting a hole through it with a handgun. He posted a similar video to YouTube in July, where he ranted about the tragic murders in Chattanooga, Tennessee at the hands of a Muslim man. He then placed a copy of the Quran on the desert floor and shot it multiple times with a semi-automatic weapon and a handgun.

“And of course I’m going to tell everybody to utilize your Second Amendment [rights while attending the rallies], in case we come under that much-anticipated attack,” Ritzheimer says in one of his videos. “I’m an atheist, but there’s one religion out there that’s continuing its attack against humanity — Islam.”

What a xenophobic child. He's openly begging for some non-existent extremist to show up and attack him so he can act out his demented murder fantasy.

This guy really needs professional help.

Rhesus Pieces
Jun 27, 2005

joeburz posted:

this is almost as good as realizing that mccarthy is a blathering moron when it comes to speaking outloud

lol theyre hosed

A conservative Republican Air Force reserve major turning on the Benghazi committee after being fired for not being a political tool and for taking leave to serve his country?

Color me skeptical, just because it seems almost too perfect.

Rhesus Pieces
Jun 27, 2005

E: might as well move this to gunchat

Rhesus Pieces fucked around with this message at 20:27 on Oct 12, 2015

Rhesus Pieces
Jun 27, 2005

various cheeses posted:

Why do so many of these dorks have a massive boner over going to war with Russia?

That definitely seems like a bad idea.

They're pandering to a base that wants a belligerent rear end in a top hat willing to do whatever it takes to make them feel like winners again.

Rhesus Pieces
Jun 27, 2005

He has every right to be pissed. He and Mann were respected beltway sages until they finally called out the GOP back in 2012 for being insane and unreasonable, at which point they became radioactive to the Sunday talk shows.

You have to be willing to "play the game" and handicap the national debate enough to make the right and left look equally balanced when they're anything but. If you admit that this isn't the case, you're "biased" and aren't allowed to be heard or taken seriously.

After all, if the press actually admits that one side of the political aisle is completely unhinged and should not be elected, the horse race might become uncompetitive, and the networks couldn't charge as much as they do for advertising space.

Rhesus Pieces
Jun 27, 2005

evilweasel posted:

He's no longer pretending that the lunatics are a wing of the party: he's saying "well, all the sane people are dead and only the lunatics are left".

"All the sane ones are dead except me. Only I, the true arbiter of hierarchy, morality, and order, remain." *climbs onto pedestal, attempts to suck his own dick, falls off*

Rhesus Pieces
Jun 27, 2005

Fried Chicken posted:

"Let's disrupt Washington & create a small recession inside DC so we can have economic prosperity outside of Washington" - Jeb Bush, yesterday

You know, there is just oh so much stupidity in this sentence, it astounds. The empty late stage capitalism buzzwords that are so meaningless yet he still manages to misuse. The delight in proposing devastating a city of 600,000 mostly black people (most of whom have nothing to do with the federal government) so he can advance his political agenda. Promising to create a recession when it's what his father and brother infamously did, harming generations. Treating a recession like a good thing because he and his are so insulated from the effects... Just so much stupidity as both a rhetorical choice, and that's without treating it like a policy proposal. It reminds me of the Chicago Tribune wishing for another Katrina to hit Chicago.

It reads like it was written after an all-day back and forth between all his neoliberal donors via email and conference call, and none of them were happy with it but they needed something done by EOB.

I'm sure that's how all his tweets and statements are written, but this one seems extra obvious.

His puppeteers really have to be panicking by now. He was supposed to be neck and neck with Walker fighting for the top spot at this point but he's stuck in the high single digits, firmly in the middle of the pack, and not making any progress at all. Meanwhile an egomaniac joke candidate has held a commanding lead for months and a neurosurgeon who doesn't know poo poo about history or politics and just put his campaign on hold to sell books is right behind him.

Rhesus Pieces
Jun 27, 2005

Some people won't be happy until basically everyone is making $12/hr at best, with no benefits or job/healthcare security whatsoever. The end goal is basically a perma-temp workforce grateful to have a job at all, and where everyone must reinvent themselves constantly at their own expense until they die at work in their late 70s.

These people also happen to be funding most of the current presidential and congressional candidates.

Rhesus Pieces
Jun 27, 2005

My dream scenario is for Bush to drop out after being smothered by Trump and Carson, only to have both of them chicken out when they realize this isn't a book tour or fun reality show/popularity contest anymore.

Rhesus Pieces
Jun 27, 2005

evilweasel posted:

I had forgotten that for a moment, let's remember that mitt "i am a competent businessman, really" romney paul "math wiz wonderkid" ryan believed that everyone else was bad at math and they were actually cruising to a historically huge victory that they would actually win pennsylvania and just could not believe what the gently caress when it turned out that math works

Also the glorious moment when Ohio was called for Obama and Rove was almost disturbingly sure that that wasn't the case and everyone else's numbers were wrong.

Did anyone ever figure out what numbers Rove and Romney/Ryan were actually looking at?

Rhesus Pieces
Jun 27, 2005

That's the same radio host that advocated for enslaving undocumented immigrants a few months ago. Apparently he's really into slavery, and Huckabee has reached the "I don't give a gently caress anymore" stage of his campaign and is willing to say anything to get any kind of attention.

evilweasel posted:

They were literally unskewing the polls like those crazy people on the internet were, rebalancing them assuming that more white people would show up.

Banking on the rosiest fantasy scenario like that in the face of all known facts and information is utterly insane to me, but they did the exact same thing leading up to the Iraq war so I really shouldn't be surprised.

Rhesus Pieces
Jun 27, 2005

pathetic little tramp posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nfkYfPNckIM

I'll never forget that horrible disaster that uh.... happened sometime, you know, with the thing? That uh... you know the thing?

(also jesus christ the man looks beaten down)

It's been said a thousand times but how is he so loving bad at this

Plus he gets super pissy when anyone corrects him and sucks at hiding it.

He probably spends every waking hour being yelled at and pulled in different directions by his donors via endless conference calls when he's not in front of some hastily gathered audience. He looks like he's running on a half-hour of sleep and if that's the case his performance here is almost understandable.

Rhesus Pieces
Jun 27, 2005

quote:

@JebBush: How pathetic for @realdonaldtrump to criticize the president for 9/11. We were attacked & my brother kept us safe.

Jeb! needs some shut-eye really bad.

Rhesus Pieces
Jun 27, 2005

zoux posted:

Well if you were sick of hearing about the drat emails bad news as the email accounts of the heads of the CIA and DHS may have been hacked. :thumbsup:

Bonus: they were AOL and Comcast accounts full of work-related emails and it's possible the hackers are 13 year old stoners.

http://gawker.com/teen-stoner-who-reportedly-hacked-cia-head-i-am-pre-1737375743

Rhesus Pieces
Jun 27, 2005

It seems neocons really have a soft spot for the Galactic Empire:

quote:

@BillKristol: .@continetti @DouthatNYT Needless to say, I was rooting for the Empire from the first moment. It was a benevolent liberal empire, after all.

quote:

@BillKristol: .@adesnik @DouthatNYT No objective evidence Empire was "evil." A liberal regime w meritocracy, upward mobility. Neocon/reformicon in spirit.

quote:

@continetti: @DouthatNYT I've been rooting for the Empire since 1983

Cheney: "I Was Honored To Be Compared To Darth Vader"

We need dozens of think-pieces delving into this peculiar relationship STAT

it's because they're assholes.

E:

quote:

@Bro_Pair: Bill Kristol saw Star Wars and rooted for the army named after Nazi troops which massacred teddy bears in a forest

Rhesus Pieces
Jun 27, 2005

This didn't happen.

Rhesus Pieces
Jun 27, 2005

Mitt Romney posted:

Boehner is having problems even coming up with 30 votes for a clean debt ceiling vote now. http://thehill.com/policy/finance/257393-gop-votes-scarce-on-debt-ceiling-hike

What happens when the GOP extremists completely take over the house? There's going to be at minimum a 2 year period where no budgets and no debt ceilings will get passed, unless the Democratic president/congress capitulate.

Similar thing happened in Pennsylvania, the GOP held everything hostage long enough that everyone started blaming the Democratic governor for not "just giving in and ending the misery of the citizens".

I honestly think quite a few of them have no idea what a U.S. debt default entails and think it's all bullshit scare tactics meant to turn them into squishes.

It would be fun to see what happens if a debt default becomes a realistic possibility and big money grabs these jackasses by the scruff of the neck and gives them a come to Jesus moment.

Rhesus Pieces
Jun 27, 2005

Gravel Gravy posted:

If the Crown Vics are any indication they are, and have probably been maintained really well.

You could say they would be a steal both figuratively and at one point possibly quite literally.

There should be a special place in hell for civilians who buy retired police Crown Vics and drive them with the black steel wheels and spotlight still attached.

Rhesus Pieces
Jun 27, 2005

Didn't we have this ridiculous argument about Obama arresting congressmen last time the debt ceiling was threatened?

I thought last time we made bringing it up a probatable offense because it was so stupid yet people couldn't shut up about it.

It's not gonna happen. Obama minting a trillion dollar platinum coin for every man, woman and child is far more likely.

Rhesus Pieces
Jun 27, 2005

Bush is starting to get that Walker stink on him if you ask me.

Rhesus Pieces
Jun 27, 2005

Sharkie posted:

The Many Faces of Gowdy:

please forgive me, both for making this, and for the many misspellings.

"How would you like your hair cut, sir?"

"Just gently caress my poo poo up real nice."

Rhesus Pieces
Jun 27, 2005

Deadulus posted:

I'm in Martha Roby's district. The local right wing radio host started off this morning saying the Benghazi committee blew it and made Hillary look presidential. If that is the word here, they really hosed up.

He also called for everyone to vote out Roby over this.

So has everyone officially given up on pretending this isn't a politically motivated witch hunt? Deep down everyone knew exactly what this was but they aren't even attempting to hide it anymore.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhesus Pieces
Jun 27, 2005

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

:lol: at all of this.

If Trump has collapsed to Carson, it's smooth sailing for Jeb! or Rubio cause Carson will be easily dispatched.

Maybe not Jeb!:

quote:

@breakingpol: Jeb Bush orders pay cuts for all campaign staff, removes some senior staff from the payroll - @business https://t.co/aY8QzaUqxo

Tick, tock....

• Locked thread