Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Koalas March
May 21, 2007

Rhyno posted:

Oh my god.

The shippers refer to a potential Barry/Caitlin romance as "SnowBarry."

And they are crazy as hell! A whole bunch them do nothing but send racial slurs to Candice on twitter, use neonazi buzzwords (ie Barry/Iris fans are "antiwhite"), Photoshop her white and say that's how Iris is supposed to look, harass Candice's fans with racism etc. Fandom is so gross.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

greatn posted:

There was a scene cut where Barry convinced Iris to meet her mom. It's weird because they reference it later in dialogue. And released a screen cap of the scene earlier.

Yeah Grant apologized on twitter because the fans were disappointed. It seems like mostly Iris scenes get cut. The biggest problem with her character is that they don't give her anything to do and when they do it gets cut. She needs some pov, motivation etc.

Iris lost her fiance and we get nothing, but Caitlin gets an episode dedicated to Ronnie dying.. Again.

We learn all about the Smart family, when Francine shows up they could've had Iris involved as way to encourage her to see her mom or something, but their meeting happens off screen.

Going by social media people really seem to like or want to like Iris, (#DoYouHaveADaughterJoe, #IrisWestForSeason2, Iris taking 3rd in an E!Online out of TVs most popular female characters out of like 50 nominations) but the writers just don't seem to know what to do with her or just don't care. She's really not that bad of a character and with a little tweaking could even be a great one, It's frustrating.

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

I'm excited to see E2 Thawne and Iris. She's great when they actually give her stuff to do and you can never have too many speedsters. I can't wait for Bart to show up next season. :flashfap:

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

Aphrodite posted:

Patty isn't actually leaving you idiots. Have you never seen TV before?

She's going to die, obviously.

She is leaving. She was only contracted for a set amount of episodes and is filming (or filmed) a new pilot. They decided not to renew her contract due to the response at comic con (0 cheers when announced, vs the crowd going wild 10 secs later when they announced Wally), the response from cw fans (aka shippers) and the end game they have planned (Kreisberg, Grant and Candice have all said Iris is The One. They just want to draw it out for "six or seven seasons"*). Apparently AJK's wife is also an Iris fan which probably has nothing to do with anything but lol.

*actual quote

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

lotus circle posted:

Honestly it's a shame that crazy shippers ruined Patty's chances. It'd be nice for her to at least come back as a CSI like in the comics.

I disagree. Iris and Barry are an iconic comic couple. Making Iris black and then not having them end up together would be a huge mistake. Black women in media are rarely seen as desirable and a sizeable portion of Flash fans are actually black girls. That would be a huge gently caress you to them and reinforce the idea that black women can not be love interests.

This article goes into it a lot more: http://www.blackenterprise.com/lifestyle/the-power-of-black-women-in-fandom/

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

It's a cw show, it's always going to be a cw show and the new EP Gabrielle Stanton used to write for (and produce iirc) Grey's Anatomy before this so if the melodrama really bothers you that much, you should probably drop the show or wait and binge watch seasons because it's not going away for the foreseeable future.

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

Star city is Detroit apparently. They showed a map on an episode of Arrow.

http://i.stack.imgur.com/DgAoC.png

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

Watched the episode and I have to agree with whoever said Candice and Grant have great chemistry. (http://www.crazydaysandnights.net/2016/01/blind-item-10-496.html#comment-3587195)

The Killer Frost scenes were AWFUL. Danielle wasn't selling anything but that Iris?? An Iris not bound by lovely plot devices and with Candice's bit of weight acting behind her was so amazing.

Also I can officially state that Candice Patton is the most beautiful girl in the flarrow universe by far. Anyone who thinks otherwise is deluded.

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

lotus circle posted:

Are you nuts, Killer Frost is the best Panabaker has been all season long. Though that isn't saying much when the writers have given Caitlin literally nothing to do but make dreamy eyes at Jay.

This is a joke right? Scotty taking into a computer mouse was more interesting and believable than when Panabaker forced the word "breacher" out of her mouth.

In fact all the acting in The Voyage Home was Shakespearian compared to how Danielle regurgited her dialogue this episode. I mean clearly its a low bar, but drat.

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

Whizbang posted:

To be fair, Iris is an object of lust or longing for everyone.

Grant and Tom agree :3:

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

Drifter posted:

Hahahahaha

That's something she'll just have to roll with, I suppose.

Don't worry, she's about to be unparalyzed because the flarrow writers are hacks

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

Bad Moon posted:

Yes, comic books don't have a long history of super science being used to heal injurries.

Weird, I thought we were talking about a TV show.

Regardless as a person with a neuromuscular disease who will probably end up in a wheelchair in their lifetime I think it's lovely to put her in one, totally not narcissistically name her after your book and then undisable her 3-5 episodes later.

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

Aphrodite posted:

If it's actually Zoom having played them as Jay, and not that they're from different points in time or something, it's dumb as hell.

Jay did nothing to actually undermine the group. He was the worst double agent ever.

In their world of medical nanites, shrinking doctors, magic healing herbs/water/etc. and a guy who can actually change matter at will it ain't healing her that's contrived.

The healing pools were destroyed, Ray is in another timeline, and using the only gay/ black character on Arrow who has been regulated to do nothing but uplift this basic bitch IN EVERY SCENE {seriously without him her company would have gone down in flames) to heal her of her paralysis is disgusting in multiple ways. Hell they could've had her refuse the treatment and accept that is who she is now, but nope.

And honestly trotting out a disability and reversing it is so bad I shouldn't have to explain it to you.

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

Rumored and confirmed spoilers for the next few episodes. Guess which is which:

- Jay/Zoom kidnaps Caitlin

- Barry don't care, goes on date with Iris

- Cisco's Earth2 brother tries to kill him for revenge

- Jay gives Caitlin a big "Come to the dark side" speech

- Iris tells Barry she loves him

- Joe and Henry fight about what Barry should do about Zoom

- Henry dies

- Mirror Master in finale

Fun times ahead.

Koalas March fucked around with this message at 03:16 on Apr 18, 2016

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

Dresh posted:

Flash Jr., also known as F III because he loses his speed if he says his own name.

They will call him Kid Flash and say something ridiculous like he's a huge Kid Cudi fan

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

bring back old gbs posted:

I'm watching this show Pen and Teller: Fool Us where magicians do their act to P&T and they try and guess how their act is done, anyways they're going to commercial and the host says:

"We'll be back in a Flash, or, a Jane The Virgin! That's a CW joke for ya."

such a weird joke to pull out of nowhere. that is all.

It used to air on the CW, iirc.

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

Guy A. Person posted:

Iris was the only one newly wisecracking and it came off natural because she was being exposed to poo poo that a lot of these guys that have been at this longer take for granted:

"You have a morgue for metas :raise:"

"Just because he got hit with dark matter doesn't make him a speedster. I gave you that mug"

Like I've said I hope it shows that they are going to make Iris the more grounded one because all of these people, even to an extent Joe, have been taking for granted the wacky sci-fi stuff they've been doing without slowing down to think "oh poo poo we shouldn't do this it's hosed".

I agree. Iris was great this episode. I hope they keep it up but my expectations are low. When she's not being Iris West Love Interest, she should the grounded go getter audience surrogate.

A friend of mine was talking to Lila, who wrote an episode this season, and she said that apparently the producers were shocked when they found out the audience wanted Iris to do more than be Barry's love interest. Ugh.

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

Supergirl's moving to the CW so get ready for more crossovers.

http://variety.com/2016/tv/news/supergirl-the-cw-season-2-1201773032/

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

Guy A. Person posted:

Ehhhhhhhhh as an adopted person I feel like there is a pretty substantial difference between adoption and late childhood foster care. Did the Wests ever even fully adopt Barry? It still has the potential to be weird but they didn't grow up as brother/sister from birth.

poo poo I dunno maybe I am being insensitive to foster kids here tho.

I'm pretty sure Joe was legal guardian idk if he way fully adopted though.

It's a moot point however, because it was still established that Barry loved Iris before he moved in and was also already preteen at that point. If you want to get into the weird science of sexual attraction they were well beyond that point of the Westermick effect being a thing and didn't grow up as siblings.

If you want to blame someone besides the writers for this all being muddy, I'd blame Joe since he knew the entire time and was basically like, sure move in during the most sexually awkward period of your life and I'm just going to pretend you're not jerking off to my daughter who will be in the next room, it's nbd.

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

Guy A. Person posted:

I mean, not going to say this isn't true but I don't think they've contradicted themselves about this and enraged_camel is just misremembering. Although his enraged yet super confident posting style makes people trust him about this kind of knowledge.

Barry is 11 when his mom dies and the Wests and Allens already have some kind of friendship. Joe didn't adopt him just because he was the first cop on the scene or whatever (despite what Dexter, the Powers comic, at least one episode of Law and Order: SVU and probably a bunch of other things would have you believe).

Yeah they were already friends. He said that he had to move in with the girl he has a crush on, and he tells Iris that he loved her before he even knew what love meant, implying he's loved her since they were kids.

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

enraged_camel posted:

In any case, it hardly matters. Kids at that age don't know what "love" is. Using that as justification to marry them 20 years later is just stupid.

He literally said, "I loved you before I knew what love meant".

The last couple episodes have squarely been about fate. Barry and Iris are gonna be endgame no matter how dumb people think it is, so deal with it or dip out.

And honestly if they didn't end up together the backlash would be crazy. Like there are articles in magazines about how important Iris is for little black girls watching superhero shows, and part of that is predicated on Barry/Iris getting married, because of how TV treats black actresses as either hypersexual sluts not worthy of true love or strong don't need no man statues. It's crazy but it's true.

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

enraged_camel posted:

Exactly

It's as if we haven't learned anything about how shippers ruin TV series...

:chanpop:

quote:

Characters who are black women often fall into many negative stereotypes. They are often written as fat, sassy, aggressive, angry, self-indulgent, hypersexual, and gold digging single mothers. Rarely are they portrayed as vulnerable, desirable, loving, carefree, silly, elegant, soft or genteel.

quote:

The rare characters that become love interests for a white male protagonist are often sidelined for a white woman. It’s inexplicably rare for the black women character to be the one to whom the white protagonist declares his devotion to and stays with in the end. 

http://www.blackenterprise.com/lifestyle/the-power-of-black-women-in-fandom/

I mean I can dig up more articles that say the same thing but as a black girl I'm pretty confident that I know how people like me are portrayed in the media and how that bleeds into real life.

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

greatn posted:

I like James. What's interesting about him is how he tries to overcompensate for his inferiority complex that he has from literally being buddies with gods. The general called him out as surrounding himself with important people to try and convince himself he was important, and James was really shooken by it. And he's been a good moral center, calling out the gitmo stuff.

I like James for this reason as well. Also I think the Flash parallel is cute, and Winn is a total nice guy creeper that makes my skin crawl.

I hope they give Iris/James stuff to do in the crossovers. It would be cool to see them do some investigating together and bonding over what it's like to be in love with two very powerful nerds. He'd be a much better mentor than other dude that got shipped off with Patty.

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

greatn posted:

I think Winn was a nice guy creeper, but grew out of it in the second half of the season, which I think was the show runners course correcting.

I know that he has improved but he's never really grown out of it and I can see it looming overhead just waiting to be brought back up again, if that makes sense.

Its like when you tell a guy, No, Let's just be friends, and things are cool for awhile and you think thats in the past but lo and behold that poo poo comes right back up.

Especially now that they are on the CW and love triangles are their bread and butter and every fanboy racist can't wait to push the white leads together. (Go ahead, ask me about racism in the flarrow fandom because it's insane.)

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

Rhyno posted:

As long as Jesse L Martin is on this show it will be worth watching. Also Candace Patton is gorgeous so that doesn't hurt either.

I agree with this.

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

Aphrodite posted:

Donald Glover is a lovely actor, stop trying to make that happen.

This is a joke right

Like you know Peter doesn't require too much range???

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

FactsAreUseless posted:

Everyone agrees that Barry and Caitlin have more chemistry than basically any other couple on the show, right?

Gonna say no, since Barry/Iris got nominated for best TV Chemistry and best Kiss at the TCAs and nominations are decided by votes

Also Caitlin has no chemistry with anyone. Remember when she was gone and nobody noticed?

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

FactsAreUseless posted:

The episode where Caitlin gets drunk and they do karaoke was beat for beat a romantic comedy with them as the leads. Just because the show wastes her doesn't mean she and Barry are not clearly into each other.

Yeah that episode was terrible. Not only was the awkwardness cringeworthy but she gets drunk and says he "deserves a peek" for being a good guy or some poo poo. It's hosed up as hell and is the lowest rated episode of the season for good reason.

Also lol at the idea Barry was into Caitlin while Monologuing about Iris every episode and stalking her on rooftops and smelling her hair like a goon.

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

Scyantific posted:

Just lol if you use the Teen Choice Awards as a metric for on-screen Chemistry.

Seriously, these are the same idiots who would probably landslide vote Olicity as "Ship of the Decade" if given the chance.

The problem with Olicity isn't the chemistry though? Its the writers being terrible and turning her into a charicature of her former self and the disservice they did to Laurel. I actually liked Felicity in s2.

Anyway y'all know how I feel. Iris forever. I'm not cool with one if the few black love interests getting sidelined and I've already posted essays in this thread explaining why, the history of medias treatment, sidelining and erasure of black women etc.

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

Barry/Any white chick apparently!

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

Rhyno posted:

It puzzles me that they are sticking to Barry/Iris so loving hard when they threw Ollie/Dinah out the window of a moving train over on Arrow. I wonder when Kara is going to dump Jimmy in favor of a space horse.

Because they have different EPs. Guggenheim is enamored with Felicity (even let olicity fans pick her code name, which coincidentally is the name of a book he wrote iirc)

And Geoff Johns even shaded him in a tweet that basically said the Arrow writers don't understand the source material. He is also good friends with Candice Patton, she posts the Flash themed gifts he gives her on Instagram a lot.

The CW also loves to cater to shippers and the WestAllen fans are very vocal and organized. Most of them are WoC too, and they're always telling the writers/producers/cast how invested they are in Iris' role and their relationship.

There's been more then one article about how important Barry/Iris is because of how black women have stereotypically been portrayed and her being The Flash's greatest love is a huge deal.

I agree with this as everyone probably knows by now and I'd hate to have their iconic relationship get erased because it be a huge step back. Not only that but it encourage the racists who have been very vocal about her casting. Kinda got the same thing going on with Zendaya/Spiderman right now too.

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

Elite posted:

Of all the things I don't care about, "Which of Barry's dumb love interests is going to pan out?" is the thing I don't care about the most.

I would ask "Who cares?" but it's plainly obvious that some people care a great deal for reasons I absolutely cannot fathom. loving time remnants make more sense to me than getting this invested in the poorly written relationships of fictional characters.

There's actually been some good discussion about colorism, stereotypes and the media's representation of black women in the last few pages of the USPol thread. Iris West comes up. There are little girls growing up thinking their skin color makes them ugly. Iris West being a *superhero's* love interest is a huge loving deal to them.

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

Pizdec posted:

The Arrowverse version of SS was pretty awesome, so I'd be glad to see them back.
But other than that, with two versions of the Flash existing between film and TV, I can see DC execs having Gollum-style conversations at night between the side that insists on preserving the dumb DC embargo on different versions of characters, and the side that wants that sweet ad revenue that Flash is getting with its ratings. Maybe they'll end up axing the movie instead? :v:

re: Race talk - I'm not sure which option is more progressive, Iris or Patty. Sure, Iris is black and that's cool, but she's also entirely defined by her relationship with Barry. Patty is a female character who also does things.
I'm fine with framing the discussion purely in PC terms because all other factors are irrelevant. With the current quality of writing the result will be poo poo anyway, might as well be progressive poo poo.

I'm going to quote my USPol posts.

Koalas March posted:

Lightskinned black women are generally considered more attractive, but also sluts. Dark skinned black women are also sluts, (wow!) but some people will say they are dirty or loud or ghetto/rachet. Then you have the media reinforcing this stuff. Girls in music videos are usually always lightskinned. (Props to Beyonce for breaking this stereotype in Lemonade. Everyone go watch Lemonade.) Black women on TV is a whole 'nother thing to unpack, because there's a lot to go into there. I'm going to post this again because it's relevant to how the media reinfornces stereotypes.

quote:

Just having a black female lead isn’t enough though. Characters who are black women often fall into many negative stereotypes. They are often written as fat, sassy, aggressive, angry, self-indulgent, hypersexual, and gold digging single mothers. Rarely are they portrayed as vulnerable, desirable, loving, carefree, silly, elegant, soft or genteel.

The rare characters that become love interests for a white male protagonist are often sidelined for a white woman. It’s inexplicably rare for the black women character to be the one to whom the white protagonist declares his devotion to and stays with in the end. Black women characters are often forced into the “Mammy” caricature: a workhorse forced to care for white characters, carry their burdens, and assist in cleaning up their messes. Characters who fall into the “Mammy” trope often martyr themselves for the sake of white characters.

Any black female fan of a show that isn’t considered “a black show” by the industry, learns quickly that when a character exists that’s intended to represent “our demographic”, the fandom will find any reason they can to hate her. They’ll write long screeds about how her mere presence ruins the show, and they’ll call for her to be killed off. If this character is a lead, the abuse intensifies. White, usually female fans, will send online abuse to the actress and harass her fans, often using racial slurs.

As a black women who are fans of black female characters, we are constantly reminded how much hate there is for black women and how voraciously people in fandoms dig for reasons to justify it. Oftentimes white female characters are lauded for doing the same things that white fan bases hate black female characters for.

But the hate that black women characters receives isn’t only blatant, with death threats and tirades of racial slurs there are often fans of the show who loathe her, but swear up and down they don’t know why.

Koalas March posted:

OddObserver posted:

(Disclosure: white dude)

It's interesting that you listed "vulnerable" as one of the things that are missing, since it feels like it's something that (generally white?) feminists often point out is overdone with (generally white?) female characters.
(And also I would generally view "sassy" as a positive, but I guess if it's an overdone stereotype of a group one belongs to it would get really grating...)
Yeah, the problems with black female characters and white characters are generally reversed. We don't usually get to be love interests (Thanks Shonda Rhimes, The Flash, and Spiderman!) whereas white one are usually nothing more than that. We are prostitutes/hypersexual, caretakers or strong women that don't need a man. Meanwhile you have white women rightfully asking that they portrayed as strong women who don't need men because that's something they don't get to see often. Then again you also have racist people saying that certain black women characters (Abbie Mills from Sleepy Hollow, for example, or Michonne from Walking Dead) should be strong, not need men and be forever alone (because white feminism!) which would conveniently remove their relationship with the (always white) leading man.

Basically Barry ending up with a white chick would be a HUGE step back. They casted a black Iris on purpose. She is supposed to be the love of his life. They were making a statement with the casting and Barry ended up with anyone else would be a gently caress you to black fans. It would reinforce the idea that black women are not desirable. This would have a huge impact on black women who are fans of the show and there are quite a few of them. Like a lot. This honestly impacts me personally because:

Koalas March posted:

Colorism is so drat prevalent still. My little sister is darker than I and the way people treated us differently growing up taught me a lot about it. She used to say that wished she was lightskinned so she could be considered pretty. As I got older one thing I hate the most is hearing "You're pretty for a black girl". It's hosed up on so many levels.

Koalas March posted:

And yeah, she is 21 now and she still has a little of internalized colorism. I've talked to her about it extensively, she just really feels that in our society you can't be attractive unless you look white. Which is obviously reinforced by the media. This is why I'm always pushing for more black leading ladies. Oddly enough, Iris West on The Flash had a big impact on her (and me too, tbh) which is why I'm always in The Flash thread pushing for Iris whenever anyone shits on her or her/Barry. I think people downplay how important of a role media portrayals are w/r/t what our society finds acceptable/good/attractive etc.

So yeah, it may seem like dumb shipping to you guys, but it's actually part of a the larger picture that is misogyny towards black women and a big lack of intersectionality and little black girls who grow up thinking they can't be loved or wanted because their skin is too dark.

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

No Butt Stuff posted:

Having read that entire discussion yesterday, I feel like you're leaving something out that wasn't addressed when asked (that I recall):

Why was Iris dating Eddie not as big a deal as Barry dating someone else? Especially since we know the outcome is still their marriage.

Some black fans liked Eddie but we all knew he was just "In the way". He never got a lot of characterization besides was cop, loves Iris and we never really saw many intimate parts of their relationship. It's a good step in a way, because yes, it showed she was desirable (by 2 guys!) but at the same time we knew Eddie would die or turn evil, and barely got anything interesting out of their relationship other than Barry angst. Although "Did you break up!?" was really funny and cute. I miss season 1 Barry :(

quote:

That said, I never really thought about Iris being cast as a black person as anything other than a casting choice.

Just wondering, are you white? It was kinda a big deal in the black nerd sphere when it happened. There was lots of racism/misogynoir and still is. It's kinda the same thing that happened to Zendaya and Tessa Thompson. The hate for Iris West Is Real And it needs to be squashed because Candice playing Iris is import to a lot of people. Especially kids:

Candice Patton posted:

If people are inspired, I think that’s great. I’ve been inspired by so many actors, musicians, talents that have come before me, and the fact that anyone could see me as inspiring is only my way of giving back,” Patton said. “It means a lot to me. This is why I do conventions, to meet the fans who are inspired. It’s great seeing a young black girl come up to me, so excited that I’m Iris West. I tweeted something months ago, some young girl said, ‘Iris West looks like me. We’re beautiful!’ That’s powerful! The media is very powerful, and whether Geoff Johns and Andrew Kreisberg and Greg Berlanti know this or not, but casting me has made a huge difference in a lot of people’s lives, and that’s important. The media is very important. TV shows are very important. Iris West being black is very important. And that matters to me. It’s not something that I take lightly. It’s not something that I’m unaware of. I wear that badge proudly.
I think people love the character of Iris West. I think a lot of fans are also excited that Iris West is now African-American. They want to see her be strong, and intelligent, and a love interest — and so people come out in full force to defend that, and honor that. And I think that’s cool. Iris is an iconic character in the comic book, and she should be protected to some degree. As should all of the iconic characters.

http://www.thenerdmachine.com/candice-patton-at-dragon-con-2015-iris-west-being-black-is-very-important/

I also hate the will/won't they and wish they'd drop it. I think everyone does at this point. Candice basically gave an interview saying they were exploring their relationship this season and I hope that means they just get together and stay that way. I'd like to say Iris hunting metahumans as an ace reporter and Barry catching them. Humanely.

Koalas March fucked around with this message at 17:20 on Aug 23, 2016

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

Xealot posted:

I kind of wish they'd kill off Iris and replace her with some other-Earth doppelganger. Because I'm sure Candace Patton is a perfectly adept actress, but yeah...every defining characteristic Iris has been given as a character is super boring.

The political relevance of casting a black actress as a desirable, intelligent romantic lead is definitely important. But I struggle to describe Iris in any distinct ways outside of who she is or what the character means to Barry. She's a journalist, but not a very incisive one. She loves her friends and family, but who doesn't? Mostly, she's predestined to be with Barry because of reasons. Ok.

Though, the common thread of "women Barry has chemistry with" tends to involve "women written as self-deprecating, awkward nerd girls with eccentric speech patterns." Somehow, there's some zen the dialogue reaches when Barry interacts with that type. Maybe the problem is that Iris isn't that, at all.

Iris is strong willed. She went to a dangerous man, alone, to try and keep her brother out of trouble.

Iris is a fighter. She punched one metahuman in the face for kidnapping her, and bashed another over the head to save Caitlin's life.

Iris is thoughtful, she got Barry the microscope he wanted and got it right even though that's not really her thing. Good gift giver.

Iris is brave. She shot Clock King and saved an entire police station.

Iris is loyal. She stayed with Eddie even after Barry's confession and refused to break their engagement despite slowly realizing she lives Barry.

Iris is forgiving. Remember that time Barry kidnapped Eddie and beat him up? She was rightfully pissed but ultimately forgave him. She also forgave her mother who abandoned and fully embraced a brother she had never met.

Iris wants to help people. She went to the Flash to help Barry. She went to that guy to help Wally. She writes articles about abused women. She wanted to be a cop to help the people in Central City.

These are the reasons Barry loves her. Remember when Barry was being bullied as a kid, Iris was the one who lifted him up.

Iris welcomed a kid with a lot of baggage in her home. (This is in a deleted scene iirc) Not a lot of kids would. She's always been there for him, they're best friends. It makes sense.

There's more but I'm about to drive back home...

Koalas March fucked around with this message at 20:09 on Aug 23, 2016

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

JT Smiley posted:

Personally, as a black man, I don't want Iris to be the ultimate prize in this white man's power fantasy.

How can it be the white man's power fantasy when the literal problem is that white society in America doesn't value black women or find them attractive?
This is about how the media disrespects black female characters. It's a feminist issue, it's not about you. It's about those little girls who say "Iris looks like me, we're beautiful."

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

JT Smiley posted:

I'm referring to the show as a whole and I only brought up my face because you asked if anyone paying was black.

I didn't "ask if anyone was black". I asked one poster if he was white or not, so I could try and see his frame of reference. He could be any ethnicity. I was asking one specific person so I that I could better understand his personal point of view.

I'm not saying you're not free to jump in with your opinion, after all this is a forum, but please don't twist my words.

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

JT Smiley posted:

Hey, I wasn't trying to twist your words I just misread what you said as I skimmed the thread before work.

We are cool, it was just a misunderstanding. :)

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

Whizbang posted:

I hope they reveal this season that Iris is actually Miss Martian.

Sharon Leal will actually be playing Miss Martian.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

TheCenturion posted:

The ridiculously hot woman from Boston Public?

Yes!

I'm hoping this means we get some intersectionality on Supergirl. 😊😃

Koalas March fucked around with this message at 14:13 on Aug 25, 2016

• Locked thread