Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What is YISUN?
Mother
A lie we tell ourselves to have a purpose
Bliss
A paradox with no solution
Father
A strong female protagonist
The weakest thing there is and the smallest crawling thing
Creator
Everything in this miserable and hellish existence
A solution with no paradoxes
View Results

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

Just a little bit of sunshine!

It was just an art error:

https://twitter.com/Orbitaldropkick/status/1339056988869828608

Which I'm glad of, because it technically would've made the whole last book a shaggy dog story.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

Dr Subterfuge posted:

Other than Incubus's shock and Gog's wtf squinting, everyone else seems more preoccupied with the magical sparks suddenly in their eyes. But yeah, the line has been "he's invulnerable" until now so hooray uncharted territory!

This is going to be such a clusterfuck if Jag actually dies.

Remember, Solomon's words to him weren't "I'm going to kill you", they were "you will be bound by words of sealing and cast into the eternal void beneath Throne." Considering the quote under the comic is just "Seal", that's probably what's happening here. (Unless he no-sells it, I guess.)

In other words: "go be invulnerable in space."

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

Rogue AI Goddess posted:

If the time-loop fan theory is correct, then he might be talking about that particular prison.

It's this. He's not trying to destroy linear time, he's trying to destroy cyclical time.

...which, unless this is the first cycle he became aware of the problem, means he's already tried and failed before. Probably tried to explain all this to the other demiurges before, too.

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

Thundarr posted:

What is the best way to catch up on the time loop fan theory? I guess I hadn't heard that one previously.

I don't know that I'd call it a fan theory at this point; 6 Juggernaut basically spells it out here.

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

Brought To You By posted:

I wonder if it is "normal" for Zoss to be beheaded by 6Juggs or is this was also a divergence from the previous events. Because I would assume that most of these cycles don't wind up with the demiurges starting to break out of their self build cages and Jagganoth deciding to invade now because by his own estimation he shows up after.

"Over time, those bound to Metatron have become increasingly aware of the extent of our own imprisonment." Increasingly is a key word there.

This may be the first cycle where 6 Juggernaut's understanding has advanced to the point that she knew when and where Zoss was going to pass on the key, and could come up with the idea to disrupt that moment.

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

Hell yes, Gog-Agog's finally about to go off.

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

nimby posted:

This is going to end with Infinite Jagganoth beating up Aspected Chaos, then cornering all the demiurges while Gog-Agog is still clowning around. Allison will then get the brilliant dumbest-assest idea to suck Gog-Agog into the Voltron to fight infinities with infinities. Somehow this works out perfectly.

This is a terrible idea and I so badly want it to happen

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

Karanas posted:

The thread has built up Gog's hype so much that I pretty much just want her to fail horribly at this point.

But, Marge, that little clown hasn’t done anything yet. Look at her. She’s going to do something and you know it’s going to be good!

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

Precambrian posted:

But the point I would take with this is that the Eternal Recurrence that we see with the Wheel is Eternal in general, rather than specific. There is, inevitably, a human who achieves Royalty (Jagganoth assumes it is always Zoss, but I don't think it has to be) and makes war upon Heaven, conquering Throne and becoming the Ruling King.

But that's not how it's been presented in the story. By all accounts, Zoss is the one who "spins the wheel and laughs at God", who selects the Heir, etc. There's been nothing to suggest that the cycles are anything but Zoss, personally, resetting time when events reach a conclusion he doesn't like.

While the descriptions of cycles have been pretty vague to date, the one common thread is Zoss - Zoss himself - as the one responsible.

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

A.o.D. posted:

Nah, Gog is dumb as hell. She thinks she'll survive this because she's thinking "dumb idiot has to kill everything in the universe to kill me" when that is explicitly the Red God's plan.

Jaggs is invulnerable, but that doesn't mean he can't get a worm flung in his open mouth.

Otherkinsey Scale fucked around with this message at 04:09 on Aug 7, 2021

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

Flesnolk posted:

Studies have found practise doesn't actually help. You have it in you or you don't.

Have you never gotten good at anything in your life?

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

Captain Oblivious posted:

It also still has yet to fully articulate a thesis in response to the Problem of Power it has been dancing with all this time so there's still time to completely drop the ball.

The prophecised "Kill Six Billion Demons" actually just refers to an app that Alison hires someone to make, it puts people in touch with registered demon-slayers.

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

Rogue AI Goddess posted:

Allison's get-me-out-of-here power should have recharged by now.

The PCs didn't get a short rest, unfortunately.

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

packetmantis posted:

Zoss spins the wheel and the conic ends with a link to the first page of Homestuck.

Right after the clown betrayed everyone, too.

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

Where are Cio and White Chain? :ohdear:

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

ThatBasqueGuy posted:

Honestly this was my first thought too. Also "how can it be 80,000 cuts and also cut literally everything"

Alison survived because she is neither man nor horse.

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

Renaissance Robot posted:

Attach it to the end of her severed arm instead and wield the combination in her other hand as a very noisy flail

man now I say that I'm sure I've seen some other thing where someone uses their own severed arm as a club but I can't for the life of me remember where

I know there's already been a litany of examples, but there was a pretty memorable scene in Animorphs where someone lost an arm in bear form and just started bludgeoning aliens to death with it.

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

Kalli posted:

Yeah, all the other Demiurges are also being pulled out of the water by their besties.

"besties"

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

Hempuli posted:

You can save 2 of the non-Mammon, non-Jagganoth demiurges for a later redemption arc, eventual friendship with the protagonists, and a spot in the spinoff comic where they all live as roommates and wacky hijinks ensue.
Who do you pick?

Gog-Agog and Incubus, no contest. High on the "wacky hijinks", low on the "redemption arc".

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

Allstone posted:

Disney actually bought the copyright for storytelling as a concept - comparing stories to star wars is now a legal requirement

Just like in Rogue One!

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

FuturePastNow posted:

I wonder how long before Gog realizes she's made a mistake, not because she gives a gently caress about the others, but because the balance of power is shifting significantly. Probably when Jaggs has the other 6 keys and comes for hers.

Gog puts one of her worms inside the key, turning Jagganoth into Gogganoth when he tries to absorb it. All part of the 5D Chess.

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

the holy poopacy posted:

When White Chain was first interrogating Allison she warned her "I know of the fourth syllable of Royalty."

So no, White Chain does not actually possess a syllable of Royalty but even having a glimmering of understanding of it is apparently super impressive and badass feat to try to intimidate someone with.

(Interestingly, the fourth syllable does appear to be Diamond, i.e. Salami Dave's syllable.)

quote:

Though you act like a fool and you have no devil's kisses...

Well, she's definitely corrected one of those things since then.

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

Bent all that debris into crosses on the way down, too.

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

Joe Slowboat posted:

I'm genuinely unsure where he goes next!

Hell, probably

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

girl dick energy posted:

NOW'S YOUR CHANCE TO BE A [[big king]]

Edit: Thinking about it, Spamton would make a perfect Demiurge, especially Spamton NEO. He's got just the right mindset for it.

Bearer of the word [Hyperlink Blocked]

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

CodfishCartographer posted:

I was going to say "it's only been 4 updated about Dave, at most it'll probably just be 5-6 then we'll be moving on" but I guess compared to Mammon's two updates and Mottom's whopping one update, it is a bit more stretched out. I guess that being said the story up until Jagg dropped in was very focused on Dave so this is likely trying to pull double duty of resolving both the Dave and Jagg stories together at once.

Yeah, it's this.

Solomon David's last stand needs more panel time than the other demiurges, because he's been built up as the foil of a main character. What's happening here isn't about David, or at least not only about him: it's important for White Chain's story too, by contrast. David is doing this because the only way he can stop living a life of stagnation is by throwing that life away entirely; White Chain will exceed him by actually living a different kind of life than she had been.

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

Rhaka posted:

So basically, Jags' massive super attack only confirmed kill is a single large horse. An old one.

You know, flipping back to that page, I think it actually works if you just ignore the expository text entirely. "Be they man or immortal, all will be cut and slain instantly" is a manifestly untrue statement even on that page itself, and it only gets less true over the following pages. But the art itself doesn't have that implication, it just shows this devastatingly powerful attack, which leaves room for people to get their dramatic final scenes in.

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

Rotten Red Rod posted:

Solomon's kamikaze doing even that much is incredibly impressive, but I thought it was pretty clear from the narrative that they'd never be able to kill him without full cooperation from all the demiurges.

Yeah, if it turns out Dave actually is the one and only person who can singlehandedly end this massive existential threat to his people, it basically undermines everything that happened in the last book and a half.

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

Jadis actually has excellent social skills, but she saw herself making awkward faces and hemming and hawing through this whole conversation, so that's just how it is.

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

Phy posted:

You know how your recorded voice sounds weird to you because you're not hearing it conducted through your skull? Imagine that but it's your entire existence and it never goes away and also you've stopped dying

I'd pull faces too

Welp, now I know what's waiting for me in Hell.

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Every single Demiurge we've seen has forged a prison for themselves in some way or other.

As demiurges are wont to do.

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

That alt text is concerning, especially considering that Gog-Agog is allegedly "idly standing by".

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

Guildenstern Mother posted:

Looks more like boiling than exploding

Definitely boiling - her eyes are steaming and bubbling. :magical:

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

Who What Now posted:

Allison has consistently uprooted every Demiurges' sense of self and suplexed it into the ground. But Jagganoth is definitely for real invulnerable this time, for sure.

The big difference is, I don't think being invulnerable is really the base of Jagganoth's personality. He doesn't make a big deal of how powerful he is, talking himself up. Everyone else talks about how invulnerable he is, but Jagganoth doesn't need to. Why would he? It's self-evident.

When his opponents manage to slow Jagganoth down or strike a blow against him, he compliments them. It's not a blow to his ego. As Dammerung's very thorough post mentions, he's downright happy when David goes all-out against him. So if he found out he wasn't totally invulnerable, he'd be pleasantly surprised if anything.

I don't think there's any way to lay Jagganoth low, not in the same sense as the other demiurges. He knows the most of the situation out of any of them, he agrees that it sucks and is awful. His outlook is profoundly nihilistic as a result - he argues that killing people is doing them a favour, because they're free of this "corpse reality". I guess if Allison's final victory means that she stops the wheel from being turned back again and lets this iteration of the multiverse continue, Jagganoth might feel like an rear end in a top hat for killing all those people? But that seems a bit trite.

Overall, it comes down to this: the other demiurges are trapped in prisons of their own making. Jagganoth, by and large, is trapped in a prison of Metatron and Zoss's making. Wherever his arc is going, it's not gonna look like the other demiurges'.

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

FuturePastNow posted:

Drinking an enormous amount of booze before swallowing the worm to get Gog-agog drunk

Gog-Agog is no match for Allison's iron liver.

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

"Well, I am supposed to 'spare a thought' for a devil king when I ascend, maybe that'll wreck things enough to balance it out?"

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

Elissimpark posted:

I told you already: gently caress flowers.

Royalty is a continuous pollinating motion.

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

Staltran posted:

I do wonder if this guy is going to show up later. Seems like he's getting a lot of focus in these pages for a one-off.

At the start of the page I was sure he was actually Solomon in disguise. Still can't totally rule it out.

Maybe Solomon's path to enlightenment includes becoming a catboy, who's to say.

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

The glowing red eyes mean that the fish is an agent of Incubus.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

"Every time I had a problem and I threw a molotov cocktail, boom! Right away, I had a different problem." -Aesma