Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
shadok
Dec 12, 2004

You tried to destroy it once before, Commodore.
The result was a wrecked ship and a dead crew.
Fun Shoe

Kurieg posted:

So since Lana apparently doesn't like pretty things, who can I give all these courting gifts the game keeps giving me.
Besides the obvious "mail them to someone else who does" option

Nico Okarr, Talos Drellik and M1-4X will all accept courting gifts at the "like" rate.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shadok
Dec 12, 2004

Fun Shoe

Corzen posted:

As far as I've discovered, the only cross faction GTN are the GTN kiosks located in the Promenade on Nar Shaddaa. It's slim pickings, but I found a tiny few of interesting things there.

Fun fact: there is another GTN kiosk that was cross-faction even back when there were faction restriction on the GTN: in Outlaw's Den on Tatooine. That was supposed to be one of the incentives to go to a free-for-all PVP area on a PVE server.

shadok
Dec 12, 2004

Fun Shoe

prefect posted:

Can you get a 208 offhand, reverse-engineer it, and learn how to make 208 mainhands that don't require crazy materials?

The 208 components can be reverse-engineered in that they break down into mats, but they're all set at a 0% chance to learn a schematic. So, no.

shadok
Dec 12, 2004

Fun Shoe

Blockhouse posted:

one of these makes a lot less sense than the other!

M1-4X likes pretty much everything except Imperial Memorabilia. He's just very enthusiastic about gifts.

shadok
Dec 12, 2004

Fun Shoe
I'm an old gamer but I would never use the word "hardened" to describe myself. Quite the opposite.

shadok
Dec 12, 2004

Fun Shoe

prefect posted:

I remember there was a game where if people installed it to the root of their C: drive, it would wipe the whole disk on uninstallation.

Eve Online once released a patch that deleted C:\boot.ini which effectively killed Windows.

http://community.eveonline.com/news/dev-blogs/about-the-boot.ini-issue/

shadok
Dec 12, 2004

Fun Shoe
My guild has 6 people online, two of whom had Bitraider disabled from long ago and four of whom just got lucky and managed to patch without issues.

Not a lot of other people on JC.

shadok
Dec 12, 2004

Fun Shoe

prefect posted:

94.59% installation complete and holding...

Maybe I should just call it a night and hope it finishes by tomorrow. :(

I've been stuck around 95% all day and it seems just now to have unstuck itself.

shadok
Dec 12, 2004

Fun Shoe

Tirranek posted:

I'm guessing the prelude to Revan stuff came out a while in advance of the main Revan story because good lord 4 flashpoints is a rough way to enter the new stuff. Chewing through bosses isn't the most fun that can be had in this game. That said the visible shift in design and story is pretty cool. On space Tortuga now and it's quite amusing as a SW.

It did, and it was released over several months, which was pretty cool.

shadok
Dec 12, 2004

Fun Shoe

Telex posted:

wait is the Probe Droid a companion?

And it can heal you?

Some notes on the Probe Droid: once you get the Probe Droid Requisition item, you can unlock it in Collections for 400 cartel coins and give it to all your toons.

One stack of blue Jawa Junk buys you 99 blue Consumable gifts. If you unlock 3 levels of the character perk "Legacy of Altruism", that'll get your Probe Droid to influence level 21 which is still pretty good even after the nerf.

shadok
Dec 12, 2004

Fun Shoe

Waffles Inc. posted:

- Are space missions still a good way to get leveling EXP now that I have a new cap to hit?

If you enjoy the railshooter space missions then sure, you can get XP that way and XP boost consumables for space missions cost literally pennies. But XP has been made much easier to get in the rest of the game, so those space missions are no longer a particularly good way to get XP.

Waffles Inc. posted:

- What's the deal with a new kind of ship customization? I could've sworn I found a new menu somewhere but I can't seem to access it again--is it only on the fleet? And what's it all about?

There's a whole new PVP space combat X-Wing vs. Tie Fighter minigame called Galactic Starfighter. The new ship customization applies to your GSF ships only. There's a button to access the GSF hangar on your minimap, just below the group finder button.

shadok
Dec 12, 2004

Fun Shoe

Kurieg posted:

It looks like they changed something in a recent patch, any hilts/barrels from the offhand crystal weapons are now flagged as offhand, and will force the weapon they are put into to become an offhand weapon as well.

This was definitely the case with comms before. I bought a lot of offhand blasters to RE the barrels, to learn the schematic to make mainhand barrels.

shadok
Dec 12, 2004

Fun Shoe

RFC2324 posted:

Is there a recommended breakdown/guide for galactic starfighter out there?

Or just check dulfy?

This thread on the official forums is the gold standard for tips, strategies and suggested builds. It also contains links to general introductory getting-started stuff.

shadok
Dec 12, 2004

Fun Shoe

go3 posted:

The Makeb storyline is worthy of doing once but yeah I can't fathom ever going back for heroics

I'd go so far as to say it's worth doing twice, once on each side. And if you have the possibility, I'd recommend starting with the Imperial side.

shadok
Dec 12, 2004

Fun Shoe

Medullah posted:

To be fair the DK one is significantly easier than the others, so not the best gauge.

No, they are definitely all much easier now than they ever have been before.

shadok
Dec 12, 2004

Fun Shoe

Conskill posted:

How is the difficulty curve of this game? A friend and I started about three days ago, and I'm a bit dismayed that with my companion I'm effectively immortal and 5 levels above the planet cap (Courscant at the moment).

I like the plots I've seen, I'm a bit of a Star Wars fan so I'm enjoying the atmosphere, but the lack of challenge is dragging down the experience.

Hard Mode flashpoints and operations are quite challenging at the moment but everything else is currently very easy. I don't think there are any class quests or planetary story quests left that present any particular difficulty (and some of them could be quite tough, back in the day).

shadok
Dec 12, 2004

Fun Shoe

Jedi posted:

Can the kingpin bounties be soloed with a companion?

I've just realized why they got so much easier in the last patch: level sync. Now when you summon a Kingpin, you get a Champion boss who is the same level that you're downleveled to depending on what planet you're on, making them a lot less of a challenge than they were before.

shadok
Dec 12, 2004

Fun Shoe
It's bounty week. Every fourth week, mostly.

shadok
Dec 12, 2004

Fun Shoe
I think getting a basic Republic flagship is a good idea and should take priority. That said, I also think it would ultimately be a good idea to open a couple more areas on the Imp ship to get more hooks to decorate the main bridge area that we do see every day.

shadok
Dec 12, 2004

Fun Shoe

Verranicus posted:

Thanks.

Unrelated, I see that doing random flashpoints now puts you in groups of any makeup? But when I did Hammer Station just now it felt like we were getting our poo poo kicked in as 4x DPS on certain groups. We cleared it, but the trash was harder than the bosses. Does it stay like this, or are later FPs more balanced to the new system?

My experience has been that the rebalancing of all the old level 50 flashpoints to "tactical" has consisted of planting 4 kolto stations at each boss. Good luck with that. Most of them pretty much still require the good old tank-healer-dps-dps to complete.

shadok
Dec 12, 2004

Fun Shoe
Stat datacrons are now legacy-wide, but the shard datacrons work as they always did.

The toon I created with my free 60 token, who has never seen a single datacron, was born with 60/74 datacron codex entries and the appropriate stat bonuses (+198 Mastery, +57 Endurance, +198 Presence).

shadok
Dec 12, 2004

Fun Shoe

LibbyM posted:

The way they scale things in this means it is impossible to go do early group content solo as a high level right? I know in some other mmo's (like warcraft) after a bunch of expansions came out you could totally go back and solo old raids at the new high level. 2 of my friends used to do 2 man runs of Kharazan for nostalgia when they were at max WotLK level and one of them would solo molten core.

Before 4.0 you could solo all the story mode flashpoints and most of the L50 HM flashpoints. I'm pretty sure I heard tell of 8- and 16-man SM Eternity Vault being done with as few as 2.

shadok
Dec 12, 2004

Fun Shoe
Ziost lives matter. Well, mattered.

shadok
Dec 12, 2004

Fun Shoe

Kurieg posted:

So I just ran past a level 42 Sith Inquisitor on Voss, when I turned around to investigate the gray class icon he invited me to a group and asked for help doing the planet quest because it was too hard. He didn't respond when I asked him about selecting a specialization, or where his mount was.

My Goon guild toon is a level 65 Imperial Agent. I get a lot of abuse from random strangers which is, of course, a big part of why I did it.

shadok
Dec 12, 2004

Fun Shoe

Alter Ego posted:

So I really want to make a Scoundrel, but I don't know if he'll be able to keep up DPS wise on Heroics. Anyone with experience that can weigh in?

I have two scoundrels and an operative, all heal spec. I levelled them all from 60 to 65 with Heroics and they are the fastest of any class at getting through them, thanks to stealthing and stunning. Put your comp on dps for speed and if you get into a tough scrap switch it to tank.

shadok
Dec 12, 2004

Fun Shoe

M_Sinistrari posted:

I could've sworn I read it somewhere that you could kill off some of the companions. I was kinda looking forward to bump a couple or so off.

You could for a while in beta. I leave the forum rage over that as an exercise for the imagination.

shadok
Dec 12, 2004

Fun Shoe

Waffles Inc. posted:

What happens with a Legacy when you transfer a single character to a different server?

Your current legacy is cloned to the new server with the new toon.

shadok
Dec 12, 2004

Fun Shoe
"Removed some of Treek's dialogue while in combat. Nominated for best change 2015."

shadok
Dec 12, 2004

Fun Shoe

JonathonSpectre posted:

Is there anything on the Cartel market that's such a huge quality of life upgrade for levelling that we should both go ahead and spend $5-10 to get it/them? We're both going to subscribe if that makes any difference, and we were both CE purchasers if that makes any further difference.

Unlocking Legacy Travel I-III is also good; this reduces your Quick Travel cooldown to 0.

Medullah posted:

Holy crap the cost of bounty contracts baffles me. The cheapest one on the GTN right now is 146,666 credits.

The BBA sells good stuff, people still want it. Also, if you want the Sharp Dresser achievement and you weren't around in year 1 to do the Grand Acquisitions Race or the original Rakghoul events, then you're gonna need around 400 completed contracts to buy the outfits.

shadok fucked around with this message at 18:37 on Dec 6, 2015

shadok
Dec 12, 2004

Fun Shoe

B-Mac posted:

On the same note does anyone have a good idea for consular outfits? Gonna start one soon and NEED to lay princess dressup.

I have a lot of outfits on a lot of toons but for my sage, my first and still favourite toon, I have never found anything I liked better than the humble Omenbringer set.

http://tor-fashion.com/omenbringer/

shadok fucked around with this message at 05:37 on Dec 12, 2015

shadok
Dec 12, 2004

Fun Shoe

Hulk Smash! posted:

It feels like BW could come out and say "we gave everyone an extra SH slot, here's 5 new Ops, 3 new pvp maps and, oh, look, a puppy just showed up at your door" and people on the official forums would still find something to bitch about.

Living in a house that was the unwilling recipient of an unwanted puppy I can tell you that would suck. But your point is well taken.

shadok
Dec 12, 2004

Fun Shoe

Not the most newbie-friendly outfit to obtain, but that's a full set of Dreadseed armour with a black/black dye (thanks, Cantina code) , the Juggernaut's legacy mask (Juggernaut's Renowned Headgear) and the awesome Volatile Derelict Lightsaber.

shadok
Dec 12, 2004

Fun Shoe

RFC2324 posted:

Whats the best class, storyline wise, to go through the expansions with? Obviously you want to do all 8 through chapter 3, and I guess the epilogue, but since everything else is the same for all classes, which seems to fit the best?

For me the obvious Republic choice was Consular. Imp was harder; I was sorely tempted by Inquisitor and Agent but in the end, dark side Warrior seemed best.

Dely Apple posted:

Dreadseed armor is only gathered by completing the 4+ quests and doing seeker droid stuff, so I know you're dead inside.

You're wrong.

Long after I got multiple complete sets of Dreadseed and Star Forager, I kept digging until I completed all the seeker droid achievements. That's how you know I'm dead inside.

shadok fucked around with this message at 07:17 on Dec 13, 2015

shadok
Dec 12, 2004

Fun Shoe

Nerd Of Prey posted:

Courting gifts give a decent amount of influence for Nico Okarr if you've got him unlocked. It's not the thing he likes best but the influence gains aren't bad. I have one character who uses him as their main combat companion, and for now I just mail all my courting gifts to that guy.

Talos Drellik likes them also.

shadok
Dec 12, 2004

Fun Shoe

Luminous Cow posted:

Now all that's left is to decide between Sith Warrior or Bounty Hunter for my next story.

Warrior's story is much better than the BH story, which kind of fizzles after Chapter 1 imo.

shadok
Dec 12, 2004

Fun Shoe

Luminous Cow posted:

Oh well that's kind of disheartening to hear. I was hoping being a dark side BH would let me give the middle finger to the Emperor or something by murdering everyone instead of capturing alive for intel. Oh well.

The Bounty Hunter's prologue and Chapter 1 are still worth doing. I liked the Great Hunt part of the story.

I have similar problems with the Smuggler's storyline. The prologue is absolutely perfect and Chapter 1 isn't bad but 2 and 3 are kind of meh.

Agent, Inquisitor, Warrior, Consular and even the Knight have so much better stories (I know a lot of people are not fond of the Knight's storyline but I'm willing to forgive a lot over its wonderful, "holy poo poo" twist in Chapter 2).

shadok
Dec 12, 2004

Fun Shoe
JC went down around 7:15pm EST "to resolve some issues."

shadok
Dec 12, 2004

Fun Shoe
It's back up.

shadok
Dec 12, 2004

Fun Shoe

prefect posted:

Server back up: my character seems to have lost the last hour or two of his life.

I was having so much space-combat fun, but now my ship has no equipment, and I have no space missions. :eng99:

Some people are reporting a 3-hour rollback, but I was on my Warrior hunting trophies on Hoth for Qyzen's recruitment mission right up to the shutdown, and I didn't lose a single one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shadok
Dec 12, 2004

Fun Shoe

Nerd Of Prey posted:

You're right in that the Jedi Knight makes most sense as the "main character" in post-50 content.

I find the light side Consular fits just as well, and of the four Jedi voice actors, female Consular is my favourite.

• Locked thread