Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

Platystemon posted:

Does anyone have a good reason why this should be a radial graph?

How else are we supposed to know the anime power levels of study participants?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

Same people will demand that your in house custom software produces reports in Excel 2 months later

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

syq dude, just syq!

Sagebrush posted:

and Netflix has no ads

Lol from 2025

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

syq dude, just syq!

Tree Bucket posted:

This witch king of Angmar sounds like a kind and simple soul

He's not from angmar, he conquered angmar

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

syq dude, just syq!

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

Everything operates with as few buttons as possible. It's very annoying. I hope I live to see a future where gratuitous buttons return and we escape this minimalist design dessert.

Same but the letter s

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

syq dude, just syq!
Now I'm suspecting crooked cop

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

syq dude, just syq!

flatluigi posted:

is that even actually the thing he's holding because at least on my phone it looks like an edit

It's a meme I've seen exactly as shown here without the deformed creature holding it.

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

syq dude, just syq!

Ariong posted:

She's huge and ripped. So yeah, still super weird that her body type is ranked as more "diverse" than Torbjorn's.

It is totally unsurprising to me that Blizzard has decided the solution to the problem of homogeneity in character design is not to hire and listen to women and minorities, but rather to create a system designed to mathematically determine how many Diversity Points a character is worth. I'm truly, honestly shocked they haven't incorporated the blockchain in some capacity.

Blizzard doesn't need a gimmick to sell worthless digital assets for real money. They can put the fictional coins in their own server and people will pay for them.

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

syq dude, just syq!

Zil posted:

Just an all around awful graph

I think it communicates one mathematical truth pretty succinctly and intuitively.

That that fact is depressing as hell doesn't make it a bad graph.

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

syq dude, just syq!

Tunicate posted:

Economics is one of the humanities. Those insecure humanities scholars pretend to be an actual science to make themselves feel better.

Humanities have far better standards of rigor and evidence than economics ever has.

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

syq dude, just syq!

Outrail posted:

Really wish I had a reason to put this up in my office without people thinking I'm a violent rear end hole or larper.

You can be a larper. It's better than being a terminally self conscious social anxiety monster

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

syq dude, just syq!

Outrail posted:

A poster of medieval weapons really wouldn't go down well with the community members I have to meet with.

It's obvious you want to keep the group private, but my mind still boggles trying to come up with exactly what community fits that description.

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

syq dude, just syq!

Outrail posted:

Sword and Shield enthusiasts. Just the worst.

Just pull them off their horse with the hook on your pollarm and all their advantage disappears

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

syq dude, just syq!

Platystemon posted:

By my calculations, I could eat four hundred cherry tomatoes per day, and it’s under twelve hundred kilocalories.

I could work with that.

The lycopene would go well with your micropene

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

syq dude, just syq!

Analytic Engine posted:

the semiconductor chips we're posting on work via electron hole-movement metaphysics

I thought a direct copy of the first ball was supposed to be sent to the back first

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

syq dude, just syq!

Uuuuufh, yang, you dumb fucker. How do you not understand what winner take all elections are and how they affect party politics?

It's not even a hard phenomenon to appreciate.

Yang always comes across as weirdly earnest in believing stupid things.

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

syq dude, just syq!

Two of the examples given at the top of this comic have been effectively solved by really solid standards being enforced.

No one today questions usb-c or utf-8.

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

syq dude, just syq!

The part of the brain responsible for... Skin pigmentation?

What have you found here.

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

syq dude, just syq!

Samoyeds labeled as smart, lol

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

syq dude, just syq!
And normalizing it to USD is a clever trick for the only country with a substantively growing real economy.

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

syq dude, just syq!

SkyeAuroline posted:

And then you get people like my coworker whose boyfriend bought her new, brighter blue headlights for Christmas, installed them himself, and intentionally angled them up "because she can't see well at night and it helps her". On an SUV.

I hate both of them.

I thought I didn't like the death penalty

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

syq dude, just syq!

CommonShore posted:

. "To be real nobody understands quotation marks."

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

syq dude, just syq!

dublish posted:

Are those results self-reported?

Usually they assess machiavellianism with a survey of questions like "if you don't take advantage of other people, they will take advantage of you" and "trusting people is foolish"

Which is halfway between self report and being analized

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

syq dude, just syq!
Sure it's a well studied trait with established indexes and relationships to things like crime, abuse, and ethics violations, but you feel like it's vague and that's much more important than anything a soft science like social psychology says through experiments and observation.

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

syq dude, just syq!
Frankly I just want some meat

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

syq dude, just syq!

Sentient Data posted:

The graph is about the effects of pilot training. There's a very strong chance that the training covers situations like hijacking, so for once those attacks might actually be relevant to the topic

The only way you're allowed to solve 9/11 is to kill a million people. Anything else is insensitive.

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

syq dude, just syq!

Unironic support for frequentism. None of the people using bayesian analysis are producing anything useful for daily thinking.

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

syq dude, just syq!

All this really does is show how loving stupid Meyers Briggs is.

What "INTP" on the planet is a loving essentialist anti-empiricist?

That's misunderstanding even what the people who think MBPI is real think.

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

syq dude, just syq!
Map seller, I need only your strongest projections

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

syq dude, just syq!
Or maybe just let some orcs be good and get loving murdered in a war their leadership foisted upon them.

The themes of lotr imply industrial society is to the detriment of goodness, and orcs live in exactly that kind of society that obsesses over production and war, sacrificing connection with nature and individual virtue.

Orcs are just Americans is what I'm saying.

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

syq dude, just syq!
CS lewis also famously got so owned by woman in a debate about naturalism that he almost stopped writing entirely.

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

syq dude, just syq!

OwlFancier posted:

I find it extremely funny that tolkien writes a book and then after the fact thinks "hmm my characters might be doing a bad thing in hindsight when they personally murder hundreds of people, I need to change the ontological basis of reality in order to fix this"

As has been noted, this is the most Catholic possible way of doing things.

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

syq dude, just syq!
Honestly 15% of your "skilled" workers being in engineering seems kinda high.

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

syq dude, just syq!
Honestly just speaks laziness to me. Why aren't we IT people stealing MORE professional titles?

Network surgeon.
Certified computer accountant.
Java DDS.

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

syq dude, just syq!

On the one hand it's completely full of poo poo and insane. On the other hand it speaks to my inner doomer so clearly and has rainbows

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

syq dude, just syq!

First of May posted:

My parents chose to both "unschool" and practice "benevolent absence" when raising me and my two siblings. It's a miracle I know how to use a toilet.

But do you know not to use an exponential regression for two data points?

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

syq dude, just syq!

Without the graphs that compare to that one it does seem like a silly graph.

This has been your depressing-reminder-of-mortality context post.

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

syq dude, just syq!

I know this has to do with French, but how is "rien" the punchline.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

syq dude, just syq!
I'm not sure I buy the argument that that's bimodal.