Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

i think Turn A can improve (a bit) after having seen other series, but it didn't feel weaker at all, being the second full series i watched after G.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

Condiv posted:

you should watch victory gundam, look at how fun its op is!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OTYPjcrB9l8

it would be great if the tone of the show actually matched the OP though :v:

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

Namtab posted:

What's everyone's fave gundam (show) and gundam (big robot)

I'm gonna say 00 season 1 and Wing gundam.

turn a and unicorn gundam (untransformed)

reasons: turn a has a big but well-explored cast, which gives it a really strong emotional core. Kanno's amazing soundtrack really reinforces that for me, too. the mechanical design is really unique in a way i like, and it was the first time i had seen a setting like that in anime.

i'm not as big a fan of gundams, but unicorn is really awesome. being monochrome really highlights it's structure, which is kinda blocky/strong and finished with the single horn (idk, would you call it elegant?). the transformation kinda ruins it for me, breaking up the suit with color and into smaller pieces. the v fin is super gaudy too. so, untransformed only!

dogsicle fucked around with this message at 14:26 on Oct 12, 2015

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

i'm glad i watched Zeta for Four, Scirocco, and a bunch of the suits...but man that ending was really rough.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

woah, was the all Gundam OPs vid taken off youtube?

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

pointless copyright claims :argh::argh::argh:

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

Gyra_Solune posted:

who does the face in the middle of the tag belong to

it's Nono!

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

Lemon Curdistan posted:

AGE is still pretty good five episodes in and the annoying rear end in a top hat pilot turned out to not be an annoying rear end in a top hat for the most part.

...is this post about Woolf? :crossarms:

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

Lemon Curdistan posted:

Yes. Even though he's a boastful moron, he's (so far) turned out to be friendly and have good intentions, so he's not too bad.

i misread at first, thinking you didn't like him. but yeah, he was a high point in what little i watched, and his custom suits are all cool

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

regardless of intent, that opening scene immediately sold me on the Hygogg toy and i think the fight is incredibly cool. "competency" and suspension of disbelief be damned. that stuff often seems kind of like kind of a pedantic complaint anyway

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

TNG posted:

Ple is both a deliberate attempt at marketing to pedophiles as well as a massive in-joke at their expense. Fits with ZZ in general really.

:yikes:

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

i like the Fed uniforms, but Zeon does seem to have a style advantage between their uniforms and the sheer number of unique suits they seem to have in comparison to the Feds

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

my reason for not skipping ZZ: it's goofy as heck

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

i want them

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

Hayato and Frau are such cuties! the Haro/Kikka card is probably my fav

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

Droyer posted:

The gundam clock is the worst clock i've ever seen in my life

good thing there's a Haro clock instead

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

G-Reco definitely has plenty of fights and pretty dynamic choreography.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

Try also had kung fu Dom, Tryon, and the gunpla race/Beargguy fight

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

there's a Thunderbolt teaser now

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LZME_HbF0VI

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

Erg posted:

What are the various continuities in the franchise right now? Droyer has those acronyms, but not a key for what they stand for.

rather than typing them all out: http://gundam.wikia.com/wiki/Gundam_Wiki:Timelines

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

More Thunderbolt info

It's going to be four episodes, the first releases on December 24-25. no info on where it's being released, only viewing options mentioned are digital download/rental. also it's a bit short at 18 minutes, with an additional 10 minute making-of doc being released simultaneously.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

Raxivace posted:

Well there's still Turn A Gundam as well, though it's entirely one-sided there.

In fact I don't think I really like how its handled at all in that show, though that's a discussion for the main Gundam thread. IBO certainly seems to be a healthier take, and hopefully they actually characterize these guys in upcoming episodes.

Crossposting but I haven't rewatched Turn A in a while, who was gay?

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

Lemon Curdistan posted:

Guin, for Loran, in an unrequited and very unhealthy and creepy way. The whole "OH WELL YOU'RE LAURA NOW" thing was part of his issues.

Oh, right lol. Yeah I guess that was so weird and totally divorced from reality that I didn't consider it.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

W.T. Fits posted:

tominoanime.txt(?)

nah, i meant that Guin is a weird dude who is in denial about the reality of Loran being a guy.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

yes, you should do it.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

Erg posted:

Yeah I kind of got this from the opening episode. Things just kind of happen and you're around to see it. It's weird not to have narrative dialogue or backstory dumps, but I think its cool to try it.

So did the capture of Friday girl happen a week prior to the meat of episode 1?

Also, the art style is really pretty, I'm really enjoying just watching everything in motion.

if you like G Reco's art and tone, i'd definitely recommend Overman King Gainer if you're ever in the mood for another mecha show. it's got a big cast of good/likable characters, the same character designer, and some very unique mech design and action, in addition to the light/optimistic tone. it's also 25(?) episodes and has a good dub, should you be in the mood for that.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

Erg posted:

Just finished ep.8 and Mick Jack is pretty cool. I hope she stays around for a while.

Some of these names are just ridiculous though. Elf Bullock, Tricky Pack, Mick Jack. The line earlier in the show about Aida just making up her name was funny considering some of the real names in this.

Klim Nick's full name is Klimton Nicchini and his father is Zucchini Nicchini. President Zucchini Nicchini.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

other good G Reco names: Noredo Nug, Turbo Brockin, Rockpie Geti, and Ringo Lon Giamanotta

e: though it's a drat sin that Donyell's XO has so much screentime yet is unnamed.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

i like the Zeta dub, though i only switched to it around Hong Kong

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JdCFZ5QVNKE

:unsmith:

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

NikkolasKing posted:

That's one of the great pieces of music I was saying Dangerous Person had to look forward to. It really is even more lovely in orchestra form, although I miss the guitar.

I'm also really glad I found this
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cgohpd2UstQ&list=FLP-LDRKFvPIJNN5KyW_Gq_Q&index=19

i prefer the tv version, for the slightly cheesy jazziness of it...but the thumbnail for it on youtube gave away something i wouldn't want to spoil

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

SeanBeansShako posted:

Why is the Zanscare BESPA officer lady dressed up like Charlie Chaplin?

it's the perfect disguise...and she looks good in it

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

Raxivace posted:

Chaplin is far too optimistic for Tomino to reference. I straight up don't believe this happened in Victory Gundam.

i think it's a cool outfit for her, regardless of it being a reference or not

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

Dangerous Person posted:

20 episodes deep into Zeta. I burst out laughing when the 80s guitar wail hit during Kamille and Four's date. This show has excellent music.

:yeah:
i'm glad you're at the really good part! Four is one of my favorite Gundam girls

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

i don't understand the complaints that G-Reco is toyetic, like half of the backpacks don't even have toys, same with the rest of the suits in the show. also you're watching Gundam, complaing about toys seems misplaced

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

i mean i would be fine if they cut the tricky pack, green pack, neodu (even though i love it), and the suit manny used. otherwise i think the different suits work well as visual representations of the factions or origins (for characters like Ringo and Kerbes). and then you have the later hyper-individual suits that are crazy wmd-level stuff and that's fine.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

i think if the guy doesn't care about the characters, that's fine and obviously would impact their enjoyment. it's weird to have watched and rewatched so much of the show and say you didn't retain stuff as simple as who the characters were though.

personally, the crazy stuff the G Self did always seemed like an obvious furthering of "war is frightening and these people know nothing about it" so i don't really agree that it is super robot-y or ungrounded. i also don't really get at what point G-Reco was considered grounded (enough) for the G-Self to shatter that.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

T.G. Xarbala posted:

It'll be interesting to see how opinions of G-Reco shake out over the years. Didn't it have a disproportionately large amount of fans among the older female demographic when it aired?

yes
a fanbase that existed early in the show, but can't have been hurt by the episode where all the guys exercise and the Megafauna captain gets naked

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

Darth Walrus posted:

C'mon, don't pretend like they weren't all there for Klim.

along with the rest of the audience

he's not my first pick, is all
funny dude though

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

Midjack posted:

I always thought one of Kycilia's entourage was ripping nasty farts 24/7 but she had other things to do than go on a fart witch hunt.

muike posted:

you're crazy if you dont think kycilia would not take care of that poo poo immediately

lmao