Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
gohmak
Feb 12, 2004
cookies need love
I am a black man from a gun un-friendly city of New York that currently resides in a very gun friendly state of Georgia. I own a shotgun, a couple of rifles, and couple of hand guns that I use for recreational target practice, home defense and concealed carry.

I am a progressive that believes the focus of the Democratic party should be about economic equality and access to healthcare and education. I witness first hand how ingrained guns are into the culture of many parts of America and believe it to be a big distraction to focus on laws and policies that have little effect on curbing violence and a disproportionate negative effect on poor people of color. I vote progressive values over my contempt for this irrational issue yet I am aware of many that would rather stay home or vote republican than support gun control efforts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gohmak
Feb 12, 2004
cookies need love

TheRamblingSoul posted:

On the other hand, suicide/assisted suicide should at least be legal for adults age 25 or older since that is when life starts to become really lovely for some as your body starts to break down, you realize your life situation is hosed or irreparable, the boat has sailed on life milestones, etc.

Mandatory gun ownership would give people the freedom to liberate themselves from their oppressive mortal coil, especially considering social mobility is a non-starter in America.

mods are going to gas.

gohmak
Feb 12, 2004
cookies need love

Monkey Fracas posted:

What do you all do with your guns

How many of you simply collect them as a hobby
How many of you are involved in some sort of shooting sport
Who has them for protective purposes of some kind

check
check
check

gohmak
Feb 12, 2004
cookies need love

Monkey Fracas posted:

What got you into guns first of those three things?

self defense

gohmak
Feb 12, 2004
cookies need love

various cheeses posted:

Paraphrased/copied from a good post:

Better mental health reporting from individual states to NICS for a start, so that people like Dylan Roof can't just go out and buy a gun without getting flagged.

The gun industry actually has a campaign to solve this: http://www.fixnics.org/factinfo.cfm

• Remember the Lafayette movie theater guy? Yeah, GA removed his info from NICS, allowing him to buy a gun from a pawn shop.
  • Dylan Roof, the Charleston Church Shooter, had been arrested for drug charges and was pending trial, making him a prohibited person blocked from purchasing, but the reporting agency didn't put the data in correctly and when Roof bought his gun, he was passed by NICS.

There need to be clear reporting policies for people who are a danger to themselves and others. This is tough because on one hand you don't want to prevent people getting help. On the other hand, Holmes told his therapist about wanting to kill people before Aurora and she sent his journal by snail mail instead of getting the cops out there. Aurora was the result. Lanza was supposedly getting committed. Alexis Aaron had several episodes including hallucinations prior to shooting up the Navy Yard. As did Hauser in the Lafayette Theater shooting. Cho, the Virginia Tech Shooter had court ordered psych evals too. The guy from Umpqua was apparently a sperglord and on several meds as well.

what are the barriers to strengthening nics?

gohmak
Feb 12, 2004
cookies need love
Why aren't democrats laser focused on NICS before overreaching with restrictions. I mean it should be a red flag when they are attempting to pull the same bullshit republicans are doing to womens access to reproductive healthcare.

gohmak fucked around with this message at 15:30 on Oct 15, 2015

gohmak
Feb 12, 2004
cookies need love

JT Jag posted:

You guys are probably right that fixing and improving the NICS is something the Democrats should focus on more. I think the reason Democrats don't do it is that the NICS is 'settled', it's something that is already on the books, and even if it's not working as great as we might like the worry some of us might have is that if we ask to reform it the reply will be "we need to remove the ban on silencers or whatever before we can support that".

Spending political capital on reforming something isn't sexy compared to making something new.

But if they are honest about wanting to make a difference on gun violence they should.

gohmak
Feb 12, 2004
cookies need love

Snowman Crossing posted:

All are cool and good, except .40 S&W and .45 GAP

Screw you. I love my G23 4g

gohmak
Feb 12, 2004
cookies need love

I think I'm ready to thread my 10/22 td and suppress it before the Dems "take mah rights."

gohmak
Feb 12, 2004
cookies need love

Ozmiander posted:

Just for comparison for the subject here are some facts how silencers are treated in Finland.

Silencers are not considered to be "parts of a firearm", that means that anyone can build one, own one and buy or sell one without any restrictions. Just as grips or scopes.

There are no special taxes on silencers, of course for everything you buy the 22% VAT is included.

Silencers have been found useful in preventing noise-pollution of shooting ranges that are near urban areas. Several studies have been made on subject should silencers be obligatory. One study made by State Department of Labor strongly suggests people to use silencers to prevent damage to their ears. (that state department handles issues of work safety etc.) One result of those studies is that the new assault-rifle of Finnish military is capable of fitting a silencer.

That and suppressors are so much cheaper Finland. When you don't have to worry about a two hundred dollar tax and a 6-13 month wait, you don't need a ultra durable can

gohmak
Feb 12, 2004
cookies need love

Tezzor posted:

However we feel about firearms regulation, I think we can all agree that gun fanboys whining about restricted access to suppressors is really the thing that, beyond anything else, pegs them as comically self-absorbed to the point of justifying any and all contempt for them.

Don't forget we want 50 state reciprocity.

gohmak
Feb 12, 2004
cookies need love

Plinkey posted:

Didn't some company try to get away with only the adapter that screws onto the barrel is the 'silencer' part and was basically durable and never needed to be replaced so that the baffles would be cheaper? I vaguely remember something like that but I assume the economies of scale made it not worth it because waiting 6+ months to buy a literal screw adapter is dumb.

Fake edit:

I was thinking of econ-cans and solvent-traps.

Pictured: A part you have to wait 6+ months and pay $200 for the privilege of buying. If your local chief of police lets you.

e: I think that last one was the wrong picture.

You can also buy the same thing on amazon but if you install it without a stamp, it's a felony. Makes perfect sense.

http://www.amazon.com/Threaded-Adapter-Anodized-Aircraft-Aluminum/dp/B00PE0JPFW/ref=pd_bxgy_200_2?ie=UTF8&refRID=0SY4CB9AS9SPD15J4KZT

Doesn't that option make the oil filter a suppressor too so you have to declare each oil can for a stamp?

gohmak
Feb 12, 2004
cookies need love

Who What Now posted:

Hey you remember that time that guy in China stabbed all those people on the exact same day as Sandy Hook? You remember how he stabbed a similar number of people? You remember how none of the stabbing victims died?

You remember when those guys detonated a couple of homeade explosives that killed 95 protesting Kurds in Turkey last week? Thank god mass murderers in the US select such an ineffecient means as firearms.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gohmak
Feb 12, 2004
cookies need love

PCOS Bill posted:

Nearly fifty years after John F. Kennedy first condemned corrupt leadership in the American labor movement, it is still plagued by rampant corruption, embezzlement, racketeering and influence from numerous organized crime organizations. From penny-ante theft to multi-million dollar embezzlement schemes, labor leaders continue to violate the trust of the members they claim to represent.

The labor movement is nothing but the sum of its many parts—millions of working Americans who’ve entrusted union leaders to spend a portion of their hard earned salary for the benefit of the collective good. Financially speaking, the sum of the movement’s parts totals more than $10 billion dollars annually in mandatory dues and controls another $400 billion in financial assets in strike funds, pension plans, and health care benefits.

In fact, in just the last five years, hundreds (maybe thousands) of labor leaders at all levels of the movement have been convicted of embezzlement, corruption, racketeering, or engaging in organized crime. The problem is rampant, getting worse, and yet the unions seemingly refuse to address it.
Key Findings:

The Labor-Management Reporting and Disclosure Act’s (LMRDA) reliance on self-government, public disclosure, and ultimately deterrence has failed;
The Department of Labor’s (DOL) Office of Labor-Management Standards (OLMS) has investigated and prosecuted union leaders for embezzling more than $100 million in union dues since 2001;
Investigations by the DOL’s Office of Inspector General, which investigates labor racketeering and organized crime’s influence within the labor movement, has resulted in more than $1 billion in fines, restitutions, and forfeitures;
Fewer than 5 percent of unions audited by the DOL received unqualified passes.
https://www.unionfacts.com/article/crime-and-corruption/

UNION... BAD? NO NOT CAN BE!

A bad union is better than no union. Ask the NRA

• Locked thread