Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Lime Tonics posted:

When the public tide turns against you, stop digging a hole. Just stop.

Following this thread is going to make me so mad but it's actually really absorbing :wooper:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

canyoneer posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Um-b4ppNoY
David Letterman asking rude questions about jail/rehab (skip to 1:00 for the good stuff)

Simon Amstell was the king of torturing flash in the pan celebrities, or people who just really shouldn't be famous. I'll never forget him innocently asking Jermaine Jackson if it was awkward raising his brothers kids after marrying his former sister-in-law. Then after letting it stew asking Jermaine "so has Michael ever done anything weird?". For anyone who's not familiar he was the host of a music panel show in the UK called Never Mind The Buzzcocks. The cast was made up of host and two teams of three with permanent team captains. Each week they'd have four guests (two per team) and play a variety of pop music quiz games. NMTB had a lot of one hit wonders or unknown indie artists on but also people like Adele, Amy Winehouse, and Lily Allen too. There were plenty of non-musical celebrities too like Jeremy Clarkson and Martin Freeman.

This video is a series of clips from an episode where a guest called Preston walked off. Preston was a singer for a band called The Ordinary Boys but he was really known from his stint on Celebrity Big Brother where he met and married another Z-lister called Chantelle. One of Simon's favourite way's to wind people up was to read extract's from their biographies or in this case their wife's.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UHJgFJTEHLI

e: He also used to be an interviewer for Popworld and used to give popstars the most awkward interviews ever. He once made Britney Spears cry when he asked her if she thought she'd gone a bit mad.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

LawfulWaffle posted:

^^ That's a very pro-click video. I thought there was an episode of one of those British panel shows with one of the Spice Girls who would up walking off, and in later showings they kind of cut around her to remove her form the episode completely. Of course, I can't find any thing to back this up aside from an Australian talk show where Mel B (Scary Spice) walked off. I don't think that's what I was thinking of though.

There's a lot of rumours about celebrities being annoyed afterwards because they didn't know what they were getting into or refusing to do the show because they'd get mocked too much. The latter is quite understandable to me I guess, Amstell's run was always going to end sooner rather than later because of his style and also he just wanted to do different things. The really stupid stuff was Jupitus and Fielding trashing him after he left for being too mean though Fielding later said he never made those comments. Jupitus was more than happy to make money on the show considering it had much higher ratings and won it's first awards during Amsterll's tenure. You can talk all you want about "I nearly walked" but you didn't and you waited until he was gone to publicly denounce him.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

That first one was painful

"I will die for those kids" *wipes away tears*

"mhm so Alex is probably going to steal your kids right"

The second one is unreal

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Josef bugman posted:

What's your opinion/knowledge on Bill Bailey leaving? I thought that he was obviously not having too much fun in the role any more.

It was a shame that he left but totally understandable iirc. He basically wanted to be able to tour more freely but was caught up filming a lot hence that season break he took where they had rotating captains. Also like you said he was clearly getting tired of it and wanted to move on to new things. It's why Amstell left, he had a good run but didn't want to get pigeon holed and had much more unusual projects he wanted to do!

burexas.irom posted:

Simon Amstell is amazing. After quitting NMTB he made a show called "Grandma's House" which is autobiographical and shows his life after quitting the show. Also his standups are great.

That is all.

I was 18 or so when Grandma's House came out and I wasn't super into it originally because I was expecting Simon Amstell TV host the series. Later on when I grew up a bit and realised what he was doing I realised how genius it was. His standup is wonderful because it's a very anxious and guy getting eviscerated by another guy with an acid tongue. Amstell just happens to be both of them. "My ex-boyfriend told me it was just too hard for him to be Simon Amstell's boy friend, which hurt. Because I'm Simon Amstel". I get to go see him live in November :getin:

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Josef bugman posted:

He never criticised Amstell, but I always liked how he said that "I've got grave 5 clarinet, I'm better than this" about the later buzzcocks episodes. He's so clearly done.

Yeah and it's a super understandable moment. I can only imagine that some day you wake up and think "I'm better than picking some hasbeen out of line-up while sat beside two people who could be in it in a year's time if they can't get a job in Tesco". If anything it's a condemnation that Jupitus stayed there since its inception when everyone else left after they did a couple of seasons. I think Amstell's run was incredible because it was so against the grain of typical panel shows existing to promote their guest's new release as well as fifteen minute celebrity culture in general. The episode where they had the lead singer of Stereophonics on selling their greatest hits and Simon keeps reading out fan letters asking how to get the new CD if they don't live near shops or have the internet etc.

I don't mind criticising Simon at all but it left a pretty bad taste in my mouth that Jupitus waited until Simon left to poo poo all over him and his time there as well as just before Jupitus released his biography.

content: Skrillex

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

These are my favourite kind of SF because they happen so slowly and it's so clear what will happen the whole time that you're just like "how did you still let this happen to you?".

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

I'm not sure if this has been posted yet but it just got a resolution and I think that's what makes it full on SF

Woman flirts with waiter, adds him on facebook and sends him dirty messages, turns out she's a sub teacher for students his age, gets fired

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Even if he's in uni it's pretty creepy imo, however here is some SF classic to make up for that sub-standard post

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

goddamnedtwisto posted:

I was surprised he stayed as long as he did after Mark Lamarr left, given they were good friends and long-standing writing partners and Lamarr was the main reason Bailey (who was a considerably bigger name than Phill Jupitus or Sean Lock, who he replaced) took the job in the first place. Still we'll always have this to keep us warm at night:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4EF7CeL9NDg

(he was always way better as a guest than as a captain)

Mind you it's surprising he stayed on as long as he did when this sort of thing was going on:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x5y6ZO5l9Js

Simon was clearly very enamoured with him and made him feel appreciated!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r87MOJOr1hU

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

JOHNSON COCKSLAP posted:

It seems Griffin McElroy has been enabling and covering up his coworkers sexual assaults.

JOHNSON COCKSLAP posted:

don't visit neogaf, the owner is a transphobic sexual assaulter.

omg thats crazyyyyyyz, I love gossip!! If you don't post verifiable proof in a hour for both of those though I'll give you a whole week free from posting duties so you have plenty of time to go find them :wooper: :wooper:

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

JOHNSON COCKSLAP posted:

This is the accused guy saying he didn't do anything?

https://archive.fo/r17cR

yeah I suppose

https://twitter.com/chromedome113/status/893600604010020865

this is literally nothing

You've 28 minutes left though, I belive you can be the person to break the Griffin story. Whoever that is.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

JOHNSON COCKSLAP posted:

lol you're a broken mess.

You know me so well, I believe in you though despite my borkeness. Pls farooq post the scoop, save the thread.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

JOHNSON COCKSLAP posted:

https://twitter.com/chromedome113/status/893606200549429248

and you've sent some goons to harass me on twitter emmy? or do they just do it for you automatically?

ur bringing down my palace of lies. I don't tell them to do it they do it automatically but im also all of them sockpuppeting

20 mins xx

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

I genuinely want you to win but that's just two more tweets of people going "oh gosh things are kicking off". What are they responding to? You have four minutes left but I'll give you until this particular set of tweets is worked out

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Ziv Zulander posted:

If you're going to probate him, then just probate him. This petty slapfight is an embarrassment.

If people are going to keep making shitstirring claims I am going to give them a chance to prove it if theu can, I am sorry this has upset you friend but it's over now :wooper:

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Let's see how many posts we can go posting content in a row!

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Okay well two was our record let's go again, I think we can beat it! And to be clear we're moving on from this Griffin stuff. Go team!

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Four is our new record, gang, I believe in us!

e: seriously move on from this now

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

We're doing great guys, proud of you!

The old unreciprocated high five

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

The next post on this is getting a sixer even if they're totally unaware of the previous derail.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Railing Kill posted:

The thread desperately needs to pray to its patron saint, LA Beast, for salvation.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UAyqWAjlLAs

Amen.

This is my favourite ever attempted application of The Secret

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

I can feel the wind knocked out of me just watching.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Last I heard millienials were killing participation trophies!!

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Oul lad on the left doesn't start clapping until she falls lmao

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

This is a good and cool cat

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Even if you are the world's rightest boy I think it's hard to see someone beating Google in court. Though I guess there's lots of times you hear about settlements before things reach a hearing.

I'm not saying DaMore is the world's rightest boy but plenty of time people who are totally in the right are just ground through the legal system by a big company who can keep things stalling until they have no money for legal fees.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

DontMockMySmock posted:

A friend and I were having a discussion recently about how many of the videogame companies we used to trust to make good games have lost that reputation, what with things like Blizzard devoting its life to Hearthstone and Overwatch, Valve dedicated to Steam and microtransactions, Maxis now owned by EA, etc. And we came to the conclusion that these days, the most trustworthy developer is loving Bethesda. The Glitch Kings of the loving industry are somehow now better known for making good games than the companies that brought us Starcraft and Half-Life. :suicide:

Overwatch and Hearthstone are really popular and well liked though.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

That's some purestrain el classico schadenfreude, friend.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Tremendous posting the last few pages, Gang!

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Kurieg posted:

Taylor Swift is being sued by a guy she alleges groped her, so she had to testify in court.

https://twitter.com/AgentTinsley/status/895730643652366337

Her responses to their insane questions are amazing.

She's countersuing for a dollar which is so good :allears:

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Okay yah she's tall but not an Alien

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Took me a second

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

TheRagamuffin posted:

So wait, he did that, and then HE sued HER?

Yes. He lost his job over this so he sued her and she's countersuing for a dollar solely to highlight what scum he is and sexual harrasment in general. Also just get hosed if you don't like we are never ever getting back together, shake it off, or bad blood tbqh

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

When I see someone hating on Tay Tay I only have one thing to say! Shrug it off

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

I just like fun pop songs and I'm not in the minority by a long shot but even if I were I'd still like them. I guess our best friendship is on ice for now hawowanlawow

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

hawowanlawow posted:

T Swift fans' complete inability to shrug it off is another similarity between them and bronies. you get insane poo poo like this

acknowledge my failed shake it off joke you punk!

Anyways gang let's laugh at people falling over instead! :getin:

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Come on guys let's sort out this not good blood between fans and nonfans

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

I was just chatting to the bestie and I'm getting info Taylor is a snake from there too. Gonna be a long night, gang. I'll pray for us all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

This is the seventh or eight time at least you've posted that GIF, from now on try posting different content, and don't just quickly repost recent content from other posters. You're a solid contributor to PYF threads usually so I believe in you!

CrazyGoggs used to make videos where he'd read out user-submitted "this trope in real life" posts from TVTropes. You probably know them as troper tales or "This troper..." and they're the source of things like "that kid... he's inhuman". This is an extended video where he's reading a poster called Fusionman's thread posts about the object of his affections, Helen. Normally his creepiness would be better suited for AUG but I think his total lack of awareness makes the video prime SF.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=efTloIPzkkA