Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

Ikantski posted:

Has it done that in any meaningful way in Toronto?

If nothing else it's brought forth endless wailing and teeth gnashing from real estate agents, and that's good enough for me. Plus if you take their word for it, it's massively depressing the market, so either they're lying and it's fine, or it's keeping speculation and flipping down.

If the township of East-Bumblefuck can use the minor extra revenue to keep the main road in drive-able condition, or keep the library stocked and open an extra hour, then it's still a net good.

infernal machines fucked around with this message at 17:34 on Oct 27, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

Melian Dialogue posted:

What's a crypto-fascist exactly? Do I always ensure to use PGP when I send out my fascist newsletter? Is that it? Pretty weird of a fascist to have routinely voted NDP in the last three elections, and been a donations paying member for multiple years and volunteered for an election campaign for the same party.

You can espouse fascist views, support fascist legislation and actions of those in authority, and still donate to the NDP. The fact that you do those things might trigger some sort of cognitive dissonance, but it's not in itself impossible to do.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

jfood posted:

Shitheads calling themselves 'engineers' drinking $12 beers out of a jam jar, counting down the days 'til their jobs are outsourced to India is the 'Silicon Valley type'.

Yeah, that's Liberty Village/New Parkdale, not Mt. Pleasant

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Melian Dialogue posted:

Its very easy to hand wave people aside by just calling them fascists when they disagree with you, just like those on the right who just handwave aside the "communists" on the left.

This is true, it's also easy to actually believe someone is a fascist when they support the absolute authority of the state, and repeatedly argue and defend that any form of dissent not state sanctioned can (and evidently should) be met with violence. Likewise if they argue that the charter-rights of Canadians can be invalidated, with nothing more than a toothless periodic review, if the security apparatus feels they have a reason to do so.

I mean we can go back to the pipeline protests and the actions of the RCMP, or the G20 and the actions of the police forces there, revisit the wheel'o'force and argue about why they're justified for cracking skulls over anything more than a strongly worded letter to the editor, but we've done that to death in previous threads. It might be easier if you just accept that you've got a bit of a chubby for authority, or at the very least that the positions you take and the justifications you make for them could lead people to that conclusion.

Edit: Admittedly this may just be a failure of vocabulary on my part, if you have someone who regularly argues, and presumably believes that the authority of the state is paramount over all other concerns, what would you call that?

Melian Dialogue posted:

It still makes me shudder that we have, with prob 90% certainty, have seen eachother on the street in real life since I live so close to him.

Is this where we learn that CI is actually your Tyler Durdenesque alter-ego?

infernal machines fucked around with this message at 18:34 on Oct 27, 2015

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Ikantski posted:

The most adorable criticism of a gay person in the thread so far.

As someone who works for a teachers union, I'm just chuffed about all this cash they've been receiving. Time to pitch some more upgrades.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Melian Dialogue posted:

I've never argued against dissent against the state that isnt state sanctioned, I've argued against dissent against the state that is violent being inherently wrong. But blah blah blah diversity of tactics always comes out as a trope in this debate.

This isn't the diversity of tactics stawman you keep trying to build. You've literally argued that linking arms in front of a police line and refusing to disperse is violence and demands a violent response from the police. We're not talking about some anarchist shithead smashing windows and burning cop cars or chucking bottles at the police here. We're talking about people who are not initiating force against anyone being "justifiably" beaten. This is a thing you've argued, if you have archives, go look at your posts on the pipeline protests if it's not ringing a bell.

So it follows that if people who are not initiating force against someone count as "violent" then there is no such thing as non-violent protest, or at the very least the definition of violence is so malleable that it can be shaped to fit any situation where there is unsanctioned dissent. This is the problem.

infernal machines fucked around with this message at 21:04 on Oct 27, 2015

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Indeed, since the posts you made were in reference to pipeline protests in B.C. where graphic video of RCMP assaulting unarmed, non-violent protesters was filmed.

I have not, and I don't think anyone here ever has, claimed that violent protest doesn't exist. However the police choke slamming (senior) citizens for standing in a line and refusing to move is egregious, and that is a thing you specifically defended by claiming that it was in fact violent to refuse to move for the police, hence the police were justified in a violent response. You justified violence on the part of the police by defining passive resistance as violent, if you don't see a problem with this then it's difficult to have a discussion for exactly the reason I mentioned earlier.

Melian Dialogue posted:

edit: To add some actual substance other than snark:

Actually yes, we are talking about anarchist shitheads smashing things and burning cop cars. This is literally "a thing" that happened at Rexton. Not to mention literal IEDs, and long-guns. Yet, despite these findings, people roll their eyes at the "tactilol" police response.

Its unfortunate that the Rexton demonstrations had plenty of merit on its own, but that they didnt self-police out the violent elements out (like I said, probably in the name of diversity of tactics). Thus, the police had to do it for them so no one would get killed or maimed over a political protest.

I'm having trouble tracking down the specific posts because you posted them as Swagger, not your current account and I don't have archives. But for the sake of discussion I'll keep trying to find them.

VVV...or not

infernal machines fucked around with this message at 22:06 on Oct 27, 2015

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Baronjutter posted:

Maybe it's pretty ok that the discussion not go on :)

Yeah, I got it. My apologies.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Melian Dialogue posted:

Look infernal machines, I know you're trying to make your point here, but I'll stop the rehash if you will too. Its really irrelevant and this is sort of my point about this whole debacle is that its easy to start painting people into whatever category that is easily brushed aside. So, if you wanna argue with me about C-51 or whatever lets argue about C-51 instead of "what makes me a fascist"?

Fair enough. My point wasn't to paint you as a fascist, it was to point out that if the people who support C-51 (and the security apparatus themselves) are so willing to define violence as they deem necessary then having the government's assurance that the tools will only be used against "violent" threats is not particularly convincing.

Since this is your area of expertise, can you name any specific parts of C-51 that would have allowed the security apparatus to better respond to or prevent attacks on Canadians in the context of any terrorist incidents in Canada the past decade? If so, how?

This isn't a gotcha, I simply don't know of any and that is likely colouring my perception of the legislation.

infernal machines fucked around with this message at 22:30 on Oct 27, 2015

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Melian Dialogue posted:

I wouldn't consider myself an expert, but I'll provide some of the sources I've used to come to my own beliefs on the bill (rather than CPC talking points, or conversely, Rabble.ca blog posts). When the bill was undergoing review in the Senate, I contacted the Library of Parliament and got their official Legislative Summary which wasn't posted on the website for some reason. I dunno if it is posted now, but I figured I'd upload it for others to read through to serve as another look at the bill. Legislative Summaries are research that is conducted by the Parliamentary Information and Research Service, so its a pretty decent government source that, while of course not completely unbiased, serves better than talking points by a Conservative MP on the subject.

I've uploaded it here: http://docdro.id/r8gqTo5

Thanks for that. I realize that by virtue of this being a (draft) summary some of the language is vague, but it's easy to pick out some parts that are problematic unless you have unwavering faith in the fairness and justice of Canadian security agencies. Many of the provisions remove the requirement for specific judicial oversight and leave the definition/application of terms to the discretion of the security agencies themselves.

For example:

C-51 Legislative Summary posted:

New section 83.221of the Code requires a mens rea of knowledge or of recklessness and makes every person liable to imprisonment for a term of not more than five years who,
-by communicating statements,
-knowingly advocates or promotes the commission of terrorism offences in general
-while knowing that any of those offences will be committed or being reckless as to whether any of those offences may be committed, as a result of such communication.
and

Bill C-51 provides for obtaining warrants for the seizure and forfeiture of publications (new section 83.222 of the Code) that are “terrorist propaganda” and for ordering the deletion of all electronic materials that are terrorist propaganda from a computer system (new section 83.223 of the Code). However, this order is limited to computer systems within the court’s jurisdiction.

no criminal charges are necessary to obtain such warrants of seizure.

This is a huge :siren: too

Clause 17 of the bill lowers the burden of proof required to obtain a recognizance with conditions (new section 83.3(2) of the Code)and to arrest a person without a warrant if the person is likely to commit a terrorist activity (new section 83.3(4) of the Code).
(Emphasis mine)

I'd post more of them but whatever they used to format that PDF makes it a royal pain to copy and paste from, the formatting is just mangled to hell.

There's a lot of interesting material in there, but as I've said the issue seems to come down to trusting in the judgement of the security agencies as the provisions allow them to operate at their own discretion without specific judicial oversight. Which is fine if you trust CSIS, CIS, and the RCMP to always operate in a just manner without the risk of repercussions should they fail to do so, but suffice it to say that I don't.

infernal machines fucked around with this message at 00:09 on Oct 28, 2015

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Brannock posted:

It's insane to me that people are getting their hackles up about 24 Sussex, even if it's only just the pundits. If the White House fell into disrepair it would be regarded as a source of national embarrassment.

Well to be fair I think Canadians generally don't have the same level of patriotic association between 24 Sussex and the nation itself as the Americans do with the Whitehouse. Also, you'll notice the pundits are mostly going with "It's not even that bad, surely, it's still nicer than your house" as a way to frame the issue.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Melian Dialogue posted:

Wholeheartedly agree here, this is ultimate a subjective judgment call on trust in these institutions. Thus far, I have seen very little proof in past activities to warrant the need to be untrustworthy of CSIS or CSEC other than the halo effect from the United States' intelligence scandals. One will have to judge themselves I guess.

Well, arguably there's the RCMP's use of "dirty tricks" and "Mr. Big" tactics, the fact that the RCMP was so systemically corrupt that it necessitated the spinoff of CSIS. The fact that CSIS has already been observed operating outside its mandate by "disrupting" activities both in and out of Canada without explicit authorization to do so.

But yes, we'll have to see what shakes out of C-51 to truly judge its merrit.

Ikantski posted:

I voted for the guy who was going to balance the federal budget and reward job creators by reducing small business tax by 2%.

You godless commie

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

One minor point, I'm at a bar watching baseball and can't fully rebut your post, but didn't the RCMP admit to bombing an oil well in Alberta to frame and bring charges against a farmer (who had a record of troublemaking and illegal activities) in aid if an oil producer he had been causing problems for back in the 90s? That's not 40 years ago, and if that doesn't fall under the umbrella of "dirty tricks" I don't know what would.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

brucio posted:

Why does anyone engage swagger on this. Any poster who has looked at a canpol thread in the last 6 months has seen him post the same thing over and over again.

Because dissenting views help avoid discussing the merits of, and ideal method for jerking each other off.

I think his opinion of this legislation is at least misguided, but having to articulate why is important to forming a cogent opinion on the subject.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Cultural Imperial posted:

yeah i mean that's totally why we should all watch fox news

to be cogent and poo poo

herpa derp. Whaddya mean my deeply held beliefs aren't universal?

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Melian Dialogue posted:

I could be wrong but Im fairly certain Weibo was convicted of bombing a different oil site, and this bombing that was supported by the RCMP was just a dud one designed to build up the credentials of a potential informant to Weibo for conviction.

In hindsight, the BC bust of a couple of junkies who were too busy tweaking and loving to plant a couple of pressure cooker bombs without the RCMP's help doesn't raise any red flags for you? You see them doing this poo poo, admitting to it, and trust them to be just and straight forward in the future? How far does the security establishment need to go to build their bonafides?

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Albino Squirrel posted:

So, their stated goal is to fund infrastructure by.... selling off infrastructure? Profitable infrastructure at that?

Why? I mean, what possible ideological reason underlies that plan? Even the Ontario PCs are against it.

Because the banker they hired to tell them how to gut the province said to do it, so come hell or high water they're going to do it, no matter how little sense it appears to make.

TBF, if the OPC thought they could get away with it they'd have done the same thing. They're coming out against it now because it's the OLP doing it, not because they disagree with it ideologically.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Ikantski posted:

OPC never wanted to sell the majority share of it and they had a majority, they could have sold it when they had the chance. The banker also originally said don't sell it until Wynne changed the panel's mandate. This is probably the more intelligent article Albino Squirrel is looking for rather than my rantings.

Given their rhetoric on privatization I choose to believe that they simply didn't have the balls to do it back in the Harris/Eves years, they (rightly) assumed people would be stringing them up from lamp posts if they tried to fully privatize hydro, especially after the mess that came out of deregulation. The OLP apparently has a lot more chutzpah when it comes to selling off public assets.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Square Peg posted:

If the G20 is any indication, that don't mean poo poo.

Well I for one am looking forward to a broken arm and spending a night in a dog cage simply for being in the vicinity of this thread.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Melian Dialogue posted:

unless he just wants to become the next Ezra Levant

To be fair, this has been a pretty successful strategy for Ezra Levant.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Femtosecond posted:

What do you think were the main causes of this?

a) Demographic change in the riding
b) Riding redistribution changes
c) Candidate
d) Trudeau-mania
e) other?

In the past I was under the impression it was a clearly NDP leaning riding, but clearly that's changed.

As a person just outside the riding she ran in and a toronto resident during her municipal campaign, I'd venture a guess that it was the same thing that sunk her municipally. A lackluster, uninspiring campaign, lack of engagement, and relying on a core of progressive voters that were more interested in making sure someone else didn't get voted in. Also Adam Vaughan was equally well known in the riding and also had a long history at City Hall as a progressive.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Helsing posted:

Also keep in mind most provincial NDPers in Toronto already got taken out by the provincial Liberals in the last election so this seems to be part of a broader trend.

I'm in Parkdale-High Park, we managed to hold on to Cheri DiNovo as MPP but lost Peggy Nash (which is very disappointing). As far as a broader trend goes, these areas are gentrifying very rapidly, I'm not sure if it's more a demographic shift or a reflection of the godawful campaigns the ONDP/NDP have been running.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

In other terrible judge news:

The officer who got caught beating an innocent man so brutally that he broke bones is found guilty and loses 5 days pay

quote:

...retired justice Lee Ferrier ruled the assault on Nobody was “barely over the line of wrongfulness,” and the fallout from the assault has “wreaked havoc on the life of this officer,”

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

PT6A posted:

Tough on crime: a terrible mistake until it's applied to people I don't like.

There's a difference between being tough on crime and allowing those who abuse positions of authority to do so with impunity.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

eXXon posted:

The sad part of all of this is that there doesn't seem to be any grand purpose or at least scheming corruption in any of this. Yes, $2 billion or so were wasted in that Mississauga gas plant scandal to win a byelection, but what's the point of the rest of this poo poo? Surely there are more effective methods to benefit from cronyism and buy votes?

:ssh:The purpose is to generate work for the revolving door consultancies that propose, lobby, and implement these plans, and the necessary costs involved in bringing the associated businesses onside:ssh:

The system works spectacularly well.

Remember, people are concerned about the environment, people want green energy, people want jobs. The OLP found a way to provide all of that while massively benefiting consultants, lobbyists, and businesses connected to the OLP.

It's a Wynn-Win you see

infernal machines fucked around with this message at 02:32 on Dec 3, 2015

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Ikantski posted:

2013 was right before the provincial election and Thunder Bay is a couple thousand votes from going NDP so that one makes sense.

This is also the behind the scenes story of how the Scarborough subway was revived, zombie-like, to menace Toronto once again.

Ikantski posted:

Extra electricity is that they're hell bent on building as many windmills as possible.

Yes, Samsung made out like bandits on that one

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

That is hilarious though.

Email K.C. Green that picture.

VVEdit: Yes, I often forget that Twitter exists.

infernal machines fucked around with this message at 09:38 on Dec 9, 2015

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

The protest was over the city's refusal to place an injunction against UberX* to prevent them from operating until the law can changed to allow them to operate legally in this city. Because right now, they're operating illegally, which amazingly, some of the people who've spent time and money to be properly licensed and insured to operate a cab for hire have a problem with.

Regardless of how frothing mad you are about cab service, or how a cab once shot your pa, or whatever, the point of the protest was entirely valid. To get the city to enforce its own laws, because not doing so severely disadvantages the people who are actually following them.

*Note: No one is protesting UberTaxi or UberBlack, as they both operate completely legally here, and have ever since Uber bothered to stop lying about "ride sharing" and got a dispatch license.

infernal machines fucked around with this message at 16:24 on Dec 11, 2015

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

flakeloaf posted:

It is pretty loving berko that the city needs to enjoin someone from doing something that's already illegal when they have a perfectly serviceable team of bylaw and actuallaw enforcement professionals who should be vibrating themselves to completion at the chance to enforce these laws.

What is the city's justification for directing bylaw/police not to investigate this?

The TPS has been fining drivers and occasionally impounding vehicles, but it's sporadic and not part of a concerted effort. There was an enforcement blitz about a year ago, but then the mayor made an about-face on the issue suspiciously around the time his former campaign manager and dark lich incarnate, Nick Kouvalis, was announced to have been hired by Uber to lobby city hall. Since then the refrain has been, "We don't need to shut Uber(X) down, we need to bring them into the system and adjust the regulations to suit them". Which is fine and all, but they haven't actually done that yet, and UberX is still massively undercutting legit cabs by virtue of having none of the licensing, inspection, or insurance overhead.

sliderule posted:

The exact same way that when cabbies break traffic laws, it severely disadvantages those who follow them. So boo loving hoo. Decades of their own lovely, illegal behaviour puts them in weak standing.

It's like a serial murderer complaining that someone assaulted them.

Yes, it's exactly like that, you ridiculous cretin. This is a complete non sequitur not to mention irrelevant since, get this, traffic laws are actually being enforced.

infernal machines fucked around with this message at 17:18 on Dec 11, 2015

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Mr Luxury Yacht posted:

Like yeah I agree Uber as a company is poo poo but it's not something that you'd be able to enforce easily or cheaply.

Yes, this is why people have been pushing for an injunction against UberX operating in Toronto instead. Then the onus is on the company, not the "driver-partners", and if they continue operating there are financial and legal penalties that can be leveled against them.

Bear in mind, as it stands Uber, via UberX, is a company that operates by enticing people to break the law here in Toronto. Some people have a problem with this.

infernal machines fucked around with this message at 17:06 on Dec 11, 2015

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

flakeloaf posted:

It's hardly a pile of resources, you get a guy, you give him a phone, he makes an account, books a ride, you have a tow truck meet you at the other end. Give it a good two or three days of very publicly hooking people's cars and you'll start to see that stuff drop off. And it has an added upside of generating revenue - which is basically what bylaw officers are for - because there's no point in contesting your fine if uber's already agreed to pay it on your behalf.

They did this, it's just that they stopped doing it when Tory did his 180 on Uber.

flakeloaf posted:

I completely agree that street-level enforcement is like trying to kill a snake by whacking it on the tail with a dead mouse, but in the absence of a more coherent legal strategy that tells uber the company to stop existing in your jurisdiction, it's all a municipality can be expected to do. If they're not doing it, then the victims of that crime (the cabbies) are within their rights to ask why. Just not by driving down the highway at 2 kilometres per day yapping incomprehensibly into a ten dollar megaphone.

Yeah the cabbies aren't terribly sympathetic, but the point of the protest was valid. If the city has identified Uber as a business that's operating illegally, why are they allowing them to continue to operate?

infernal machines fucked around with this message at 17:34 on Dec 11, 2015

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

PT6A posted:

They should allow them to continue to operate because it makes the city a better place to live, and it should be the mandate of any municipal government to make that municipality a better place to live.

Sure, it may be against by-laws, but it's unquestionably a boon to the residents of the cities where it operates. What happened to all the "gently caress monopolies!" talk from a few pages ago? Taxis are the worst and they deserve to be hosed, even by pricks like Uber.

Well, except that it doesn't.

It provides a better consumer experience much of the time, but it also relies on progressively loving over "driver-contractors" with lower fares and higher fees, tries to normalize vulnerable employment by classifying everyone as contractors regardless of how inappropriate it is, and the lack of supply controls leads to measurably worse traffic in already congested areas. Not to mention the problems that arise when you have improperly insured people operating a commercial vehicle.

The focus on the illegality of the service is because that's what the protests were about. The fact that there are plenty of good reasons for UberX as it is to be illegal, is secondary.

DariusLikewise posted:

Because now you are allowing Uber to become the new monopoly in a year or two by squeezing taxis out via virture of being regulated and Uber not and don't think for a second Uber would continue to operate as nicely without competition.

Uber doesn't operate nicely now.

infernal machines fucked around with this message at 17:58 on Dec 11, 2015

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Constant Hamprince posted:

The barrier to entry is a lot lower for ridesharing services than it is for taxis. How would Uber 'destroy' its competitors?

The same way it has so far, undercutting their rates using its first mover advantage and occasional dirty tricks campaigns to harm its competitors reputation.

This is really only tangential, but I'd love to know how anything Uber does qualifies as "ridesharing". Their "We called it ridesharing not a jitney service, so it's not illegal" bullshit doesn't count.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Brannock posted:

How about an informal moratorium on this sort of blazing insight, ironic or otherwise, until JT actually does something worthy of it?

So, did you miss this, or is it just convenient to ignore?

Helsing posted:

I realize this article has already been posted but I feel like it really calls out for a bit of annotation.

Also Ikantski this is what you've been labelling a "progressive government" which, depending on how one thinks about it, either suggests progressive is a meaningless term that says more about how a party markets itself than how it governs or else that "progressive" is not the right label to be using for the Federal Liberals.

(1) -- Bill Morneau was the chair of the C.D. Howe Institute until 2014.

(2) -- This is exactly what happened at the beginning of Dalton McGuinty's first term as Ontario premier in 2003.

(3) -- To reiterate: this is the agency that employed Bill Morneau up until last year!

(4) a.-- Liberal economics 101: putting a couple hundreds bucks in the pockets of "middle class" Canadians is worth undermining the fiscal solvency of universal government programs like medicare.

(4) b.-- That "middle class tax cut" is disproportionately going to favour the rich

(5) -- The Canadian Council of Chief Executives is a powerful and influential business lobby group founded in the 1970s. It's current Chair person is one Paul Desmarais Jr., Co-Chief Executive Officer of Power Corporation of Canada and a native son of Canada's very own domestic oligarchy. The Desmarais family are notorious for their close relationship to federal politicians, especially in the Liberal party, and the aptly named Power cCorporation has lined the pockets of many Liberal (and other) politicians and operatives.:

(6) -- John Manley, who is President and Chief Executive Officer of the Canadian Council of Chief Executives. Oh, he was also Deputy Prime Minister between 2002 and 2003 for the Liberals. Noticing a pattern yet?

(7) -- Liberal campaigning 101: promise anything to get elected, especially if it involves "the middle class". Don't worry, after you're elected you can blame the previous government for running a secret deficit, or claim that international economic conditions were worse than expected.

(8) -- Modern "Keynesianism" 101: nevermind what Keynes may or may not have said. Never mind the fact that the historical record shows that the middle class in Canada is mostly a byproduct of 1) direct spending by government through universal programs and 2) a strong labour movement. Instead rely on an empirically questionable and economically imprecise set of assumptions about "multiplier" effects, and claim that the hands outs you give to your business friends and / or a couple key ridings you'll need to hold on to are meant to stimulate the economy. Whatever you do don't actually establish any more universal social programs paid for out of general evenue, such as daycare, dental care, optometry, pharma-care, a guaranteed basic income, etc. because those might actually work, which would make people less reliant on market incomes, which in turn would make them less dependent on their masters in the private sector, and that would really not be in the interests of the Liberal party's real base base, would it? (Here's a pro read for those of you who want an old but still good source on why corporate executives will tend to oppose government transfers, even when it's seemingly in their own best economic interests.)

tl;dr -- don't get fooled again

So yeah, here we go again with the party that did more to cute the Canadian welfare state than Harper could have dreamed of -- the party that slashed our social programs and then ploughed the money into corporate income tax cuts. The party that promised to renegotiate our bad trade deals on the campaign trail and instead doubled down on them once in office.

As I've repeated ad nauseum, it really doesn't matter what a party promises to do while campaigning. Actually look at who the party recruits, and check out where party members end up after serving their time in government.

But hey, they're gonna legalize weed. :420:

p.s. -- because I can't go one post without complaining about the NDP. Read over this post and if you feel outraged by anything here then take a long hard think on how you feel about Brian Topp or Bard Lavigne going to work for corporate lobbying / strategy firms. A social democratic party that lets it's top leaders and advisers sup at the trough of corporate corruption (and this is certainly corruption regardless of the fact it's technically legal) is a bad joke.

Cultural Imperial posted:

I find it fitting that the poster most willing to get deep dicked by Trudeau II is not old enough to remember what a loving dumpster fire of corruption the Chretien liberals were.

IIRC he's an American, he has no experience with Liberal government at all

infernal machines fucked around with this message at 05:25 on Dec 12, 2015

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Brannock posted:

Sorry that I don't want to read endless and identical griping about how the libs are totally gonna lib anyday now! Yes Bill Morneau is bad etc

So the Libs are already libbing, but we can just pretend it isn't happening as long as it isn't covered in the popular press.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Are you seriously arguing that family farms cannot afford to follow health and safety regulations?

If we have to make sure Timmy doesn't fall into the grain thresher, the bank is gonna take the farm Ma!

infernal machines fucked around with this message at 05:44 on Dec 12, 2015

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Hal_2005 posted:

Nope. Kindly check the act dumbass. I had to read it more then twice with legal counsel verifying each statement so dig deeper then a NDP press release which is totally unbiased, amirte?

Okay, so what specifically about family farms makes it uneconomical to follow basic health and safety laws that apply to all other businesses? And, what makes their business viable and worthy of special exemption if this is the case?

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

If my family's garment making business required the labour of my school aged children to be economically viable, and I couldn't afford to ensure they didn't violate any of Alberta's workplace health and safety laws, would I also be exempt?

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

jm20 posted:

Let me stop you right there, by-laws are not laws. The city can pass whatever they want, but enforcing those by-laws will always fall onto by-law enforcement officers who are not police. The chances of proper enforcement in a city like Toronto are slim to none, so they can continue to whine about their city established monopoly being ruined.

Good point, this semantic quibble totally invalidates the rest of the point regarding the city's unwillingness to file an injunction against Uber for UberX violating it's own by-laws. Woe is me for I am undone.

Oddly, TPS (the police) have/had been ticketing drivers operating for UberX.

infernal machines fucked around with this message at 06:21 on Dec 12, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

jm20 posted:

Laws should be passed provincially with regard to insurance for ridesharing not in cities. Even if they file an injunction they will just continue to operate and pay the fines so not sure why you think an injunction will do anything.

An injunction would at least be a token measure showing they value their own by-laws, and more importantly would signal that the city has an actual interest in bringing Uber under regulation rather than ignoring the issue altogether. Also, Uber has caved to local pressure in the states, generally around the time the state's Attorney General's office gets involved (see New York).

Beyond that, insurance isn't the only issue with unlicensed ride-hire services. There are safety regulations affecting both drivers and passengers that are simply ignored with UberX. The vehicles aren't accurately metered, and there are no accessibility standards either.

tl;dr: They aren't only violating Toronto by-laws

infernal machines fucked around with this message at 06:34 on Dec 12, 2015