Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

(and can't post for 5 days!)

Some small time ruler in central asia killed a peaceful trade caravan of mongolians. Genghis Khan had the guy captured alive and executed him by pouring molten silver into his eyes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

Drunk Nerds posted:

Obama is related to the English royal family?

He means up to Van Buren, they were.

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

Alhazred posted:

Ancient Egypt had at least three female heads of state. Modern America has so far had none.

Ancient Egypt lasted for ~3000 years, call back at roughly 4700 AD

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

Silmarildur posted:

Didn't Cherokee also not have an alphabet until a single dude sat down in like 1850 and came up with one? Sort of like Korean or Cyrillic but I don't remember if the guy was a political figure or anything.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sequoyah

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

SeanBeansShako posted:

If you want to hurt yourself internally, read people debating history in video game forums. Go on. Do it. It is a good pain.

Let me tell you about Serbia and how it's the greatest country in the world and the fact that it's considered a backwater is because of a GLOBAL CONSPIRACY

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

FuhrerHat posted:

And that's why it's called Istanbul.

It's called Istanbul because it means "to the city" in an old version of Greek, and was nicknamed that for a long time. To be proper you should've said "That's why it's not called Constantinople anymore" :eng101:

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

steinrokkan posted:

Heh, this fucker conquered half of Europe and established the political divisions of the continent for the better part of a millennium... What a retard!

During classical antiquity the Chinese imported asbestos cloth from Europe as the most luxurious miracle, a cloth that could be washed by being thrown into fire. They also believed sea silk (thread made from mollusc filaments) was made out of wool of either furry fish or "sea sheep". Sounds like the Chinese were also not so bright, huh?

drat who bought Charlemagne an account?

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

A White Guy posted:

The reason why many of the agricultural disasters that befell the Later Roman Empire occurred was because the system had been engineered in such a way as to force those people to continue to use practices that destroyed their farmlands. I love me some historical analogue and this kind of cycle of enforced stupidity is a major factor in the destruction of more than a few empires. It's rarely that the farmers are doing the ~bad thing~ accidentally, and its often because their overlords are forcing them do the ~bad thing~ as a way to increase his own narrow self-interest. Inevitably, this leads to Really Bad Things along the line (usually with some sort of trigger, like war or a drought), and then violent social upheaval.

First the egyptians, then the romans, soon the iowans.

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

Eschers Basement posted:

The story presented in Bland Ambition is that Andrew Johnson was undergoing a bout of malaria (Washington was still mostly a swamp at that point), and wasn't well enough to be inaugurated, but many official were terrified of what might happen if something happened to Lincoln and there was no clear line of succession. So Hannibal Hamlin, the outgoing Vice-President, was sent to rouse Johnson and fill him with enough bourbon to get him through the ceremony. Hamlin, no fan of Johnson and somewhat pissed that Lincoln had dropped him from the ticket, may well have pushed Johnson into drinking beyond his limit as a form of revenge.

ETA:

A week before he was shot, Lincoln was in Monroe, MD. A week before he was shot, JFK was in...

Lincoln, NE?

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

ToxicSlurpee posted:

"If you want somebody to believe something tell them that Benjamin Franklin said it." - Benjamin Franklin

"Don't believe everything you read on the internet"--Abraham Lincoln

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

Lord Lambeth posted:

This is the only state that has the Confederate flag on it's state flag so maybe this isn't surprising.

Incorrect:

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

Carbon dioxide posted:

What's that enclave near the south-east of the Dutch Republic?

I thought it was Ravenstein (belongs to Burg or Julich) but I'm not an expert.

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

Rutibex posted:

It amazes me to this day that the world lets us hold on to all of this land. Canada has twice the land mass of the Roman Empire as its height. I mean honestly, if anyone wanted to take it we couldn't stop them :canada:

Rome held land that was actually worth something. Who the gently caress wants Manitoba?

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

Samovar posted:

Werewolf!

I dunno, you had him last.

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

Tasteful Dickpic posted:

It's basically The Saboteur.

Saboteur was World War 2, still a drat fine game though.

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

Alhazred posted:

Americans really lives in glasshouses when it comes to the topic of disgusting food:

Racist.

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

duTrieux. posted:

oh poo poo, i use nivea hand cream! :ohdear:

Caught you, smooth handed!

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

Take the plunge! Okay! posted:

America isn't real. All the media supposedly coming from America is faked in Europe to maintain the illusion. People that think they've traveled there are just drugged on Iceland and implanted with false memories. There are huge hangars near Reykjavik full of dozing tourists waiting to return home to Europe or wherever. Paid posters claim to be Americans in forums like these, but I can see through that crap.

He knows

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

Mr. Belpit posted:

I like the implication that we all know what a "hyper war" even is.

Make Hyperlove not Hyperwar, imo.

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

Hogge Wild posted:

no, maize is

Shut it up, you. It says "CORN" right here on the ear.

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

skasion posted:

This is a way bigger scale than anything in Lord of the Rings. The Battle of the Hornburg is about 2000 men of Rohan vs maybe 10000 Uruk-hai and some number of Dunlendings. Battle of the Pelennor is about 3-4k soldiers defending the city plus 6000 cavalry under Theoden and a small force under Aragorn vs some tens of thousands of the Morgul-host. Battle of the Morannon is 6000-ish soldiers under Aragorn outnumbered (but it's not clear by how much) by the Mordor-armies. We're talking pretty modestly sized forces here, as you might expect given the general lack of central government authority, road networks, or indeed any development or habitation at all over large areas of land in Middle-earth.

Welcome to the forums, Stephen Colbert.

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

EX250 Type R posted:

CCR being the band from southern California that talked about cotton fields and bayous despite the front man never having been to the south

Here's a historical fun fact: I'm gonna kick your rear end for besmirching the name of CCR.

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

There were slaves in the north too, btw. Slavery wasn't so much abolished in the north as fazed out by child labor.

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

zoux posted:

Funny that their call letters are only a G away from being the most liberal TV station ever.

What was the other station?

WNAC.

quote:

RKO General lost the license in 1981 after General Tire admitted to a litany of corporate misconduct – which among other things, included the admission that General Tire had committed financial fraud over illegal political contributions and bribes – as part of a settlement with the U.S. Securities and Exchange Commission. However, in the FCC hearings, RKO General had withheld evidence of General Tire's misconduct, and had also failed to disclose evidence of accounting errors on its own part.

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

Wheat Loaf posted:

Puritan names were the best (or "best"). Names like "Faithful" are a bit odd but you can see people having them. "Search-the-Scriptures" is a much more unusual name, but it's one some people had.

"Praise-God Barebone" was an MP in the 17th century. His relatives included "Damned Barebone", "Fear-God Barebone", "Jesus-Christ-came-into-the-world-to-save Barebone" and "If-Christ-had-not-died-for-thee-thou-hadst-been-damned Barebone" (who went by "Nicholas").

During the American Civil War, there was a Confederate general who was literally named "States Rights Gist".

Silly name chat: the first Commissioner of Baseball was named Kennesaw Mountain Landis

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

That sounds like someone was trying to pull a fast one for lent more so than actual belief. Kind of a ye olden "tomatoes are a vegetable" thing.

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

frankenfreak posted:

Sugar
Harry
Ink
Edward
London
Duff

TNA does it again!

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

value-brand cereal posted:

Imagine a post-fight battlefield and you had to wander around chopping off sweaty greasy man dicks because your God King demands it. I think I'd quit.

Your dick is doomed.

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

value-brand cereal posted:

I don't have one but I'll pour one out for my poor ol dick anyways! Poor peenie weenie :C Unless they have lady warriors?

Gonna hotglue one on and then cut it off again.

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

Some of those freed slaves were able to buy ships with the bodyparts they took, hence the phrase "cost an arm and a leg"

not really

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

That drat Satyr posted:

actual advertisement for the book saying SEE HOW SAD YOUR KID WILL BE WITHOUT THIS!
correct

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

ToxicSlurpee posted:

Pretty much everything that exists is doomed anyway. It isn't a matter of if something gets destroyed so much as when.

I mean on the long scale eventually the earth will be destroyed.

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

my van gogh misspelling reminds me that I misspelled my fuckin' username

fun fact: it should be allan ho

(shakes head disappointingly)

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

Alhazred posted:

When scientists analyzed bones from nubians that were buried between 250 a.d. and 500 a.d. they discovered that they were saturated with tetracycline which is an antibiotic. It turned out that the beer they drank was contaminated with a soil bacteria called streptomyces to brew beer, this bacteria produces tetracycline. Because they drank antibiotic beer the nubians were therefor less likely to get infected.

Making beer contaminated with streptomyces? They truly were Noobians.

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

Admiral Bosch posted:

I googled that James Graham poem to find out more about the author, but when you google the phrase "Make no mistake: he is dead. He does not sleep." you get a bunch of edgy veteran-themed shirts that say "make no mistake, the beast inside is sleeping, not dead."

Try searching with quotes.

edit: Here's a historical fun fact: Jimmy Carter fell out of a boat.

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

Was he a gelder?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gelding

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

Alhazred posted:

Someone really loved mustard and cigars.

Pretty sure mustard is the main condiment in german cooking.

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

Carbon dioxide posted:

The first syllable of Gouda rhymes with cow.

Maybe if you're from Massachusetts

"turn the patriots game on while i finish up this clam gouda"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Euro_English

why won't euros just speak english correctly :negative: