Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

darkwasthenight
Jan 7, 2011

GENE TRAITOR
Some poo poo on IFLS was floating round FB the other day and I cannot be persuaded it's not a parody. Having known some physicists irl they're not a breed known for their personal skills and this is the worst idea ever.

quote:

You want a physicist to speak at your funeral. You want the physicist to talk to your grieving family about the conservation of energy, so they will understand that your energy has not died. You want the physicist to remind your sobbing mother about the first law of thermodynamics; that no energy is created in the universe and none is destroyed. You want your mother to know that all your energy, ever vibration, every BTU of heat, every wave of every particle that was her beloved child remains with her in this world. You want the physicist to tell your weeping father that amid the energies of the cosmos, you gave as good as you got.

And at one point, you'd hope that the physicist would step down from the pulpit and walk to your brokenhearted spouse there in the pew and tell him that all the photons that ever bounced off your face, all the particles whose paths were interrupted by your smile, by the touch of your hair, hundreds of trillions of particles, have raced off you like children, their ways forever changed by you. And as your widow rocks in the arms of a loving family, may the physicist let her know that all the photons that bounced from you were gathered in the particle detectors that are her eyes, that those photons created within her constellations of electromagnetically charged neurons whose energy will go on forever.

And the physicist will remind the congregation of how much of all our energy is given off as heat. There may be a few fanning themselves with their programs as he says it. And he will tell them that the warmth that flowed through you in life is still here, still part of all that we are, even as we who mourn continue in the heat of our own lives.

And you'll want the physicist to explain to those who loved you that they need not have faith; indeed, they should not have faith. Let them know that they can measure, that scientists have measured precisely the conservation of energy and found it accurate, verifiable and consistent across space and time. You can hope your family will examine the evidence and satisfy themselves that the science is sound and that they'll be comforted to know your energy is still around. According to the law of the conservation of energy, not a bit of you is gone. You're just less orderly. Amen.

gently caress

ing

hell

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

darkwasthenight
Jan 7, 2011

GENE TRAITOR

Leroy Dennui posted:

Oh hey, I'm at the absolute bottom of the chart. I'm just glad it says "consider" instead of "commit" so I have a choice.

Look at this lanky gently caress, at least you're on the chart.

darkwasthenight
Jan 7, 2011

GENE TRAITOR

twistedmentat posted:

Did someone find a copy of Wild Animus?

The trick is not finding a copy of Wild Animus. Only slightly less common than Gideon Bibles I believe.

darkwasthenight
Jan 7, 2011

GENE TRAITOR

goose fleet posted:

Every character in every video game should just be a giant, beautifully sculpted rear end walking around on a pair of legs

Bum Fights.

darkwasthenight
Jan 7, 2011

GENE TRAITOR

poptart_fairy posted:

Most terrorists are pretty dumb.

Anyone interested in anecdotal proof should go check out the Talk About Idiots thread in GiP: featuring insurgents falling off cliffs while pissing and jumping on their own IED detonators to test them. Also a mod admitting to accidentally invading Syria during Gulf II.

darkwasthenight
Jan 7, 2011

GENE TRAITOR

Brawnfire posted:

I can always rely on this thread for a morning pick-me-up

In cheerier news; Dawkins managed to retweet an obnoxious photoshop this morning without noticing the attached QR code which led to a copy of the 14 Words white power creed. Tweet has gone now, but he's getting increasingly weirder on there.

darkwasthenight
Jan 7, 2011

GENE TRAITOR

Scratch Monkey posted:

Johnny Clay Cupp Jr is just happy to have something to seethe with anger about again. It's the only thing that lets him feel alive and whole

He should just come post in this thread with the rest of us.

darkwasthenight
Jan 7, 2011

GENE TRAITOR

trapped mouse posted:

Just looked for this on their twitter feed, doesn't seem to exist. Was it deleted or is it a photoshop?

It was definitely there a few days ago when I first saw it, because I went and checked. They were getting on the Milo bandwagon around the same time too.

darkwasthenight
Jan 7, 2011

GENE TRAITOR

How has nobody posted the follow up where he gets vaporised into a corncob on twitter yet??

Phoneposting so apologies if huge.

darkwasthenight
Jan 7, 2011

GENE TRAITOR
Those Shelly comics make me deeply uncomfortable and somehow I can't articulate why. Maybe that's the point?! AM I SHELLY??!

darkwasthenight
Jan 7, 2011

GENE TRAITOR

Fathis Munk posted:

Yeah it has to be a bot. Right? :ohdear:

She reposts the same comics a lot, but they're mostly in reply to other tweets and things. She seems to have a hateboner for Trudeau and CBC News.

There seems to be four main things she keeps repeating:

1) money isn't real
2) animals and people aren't different things
3) cancer and disease doesn't exist
4) people wear clothes but words can't so how can People exist? (I'm a bit shaky on this one)

I think she might be a regulation crunchie run through a heavy filter of mental illness. My brain hurts trying to parse all this though.

darkwasthenight
Jan 7, 2011

GENE TRAITOR

Fathis Munk posted:

Now that's a conundrum.

I'm just trying to keep up here.

https://mobile.twitter.com/shelly4u4now/status/931147123722194944

darkwasthenight
Jan 7, 2011

GENE TRAITOR

Veni Vidi Ameche! posted:

You remember the year?

This isn't that weird, I absolutely remember the year I last ate at MacDonalds.

Admittedly it was 2018 about an hour back, but I feel like the basic point is still valid.

darkwasthenight
Jan 7, 2011

GENE TRAITOR

As opposed to uhhh... the non-Irish IRA?

darkwasthenight
Jan 7, 2011

GENE TRAITOR

BrigadierSensible posted:

Is David Icke anti-semitic?

I thought he was the "The Royals are 7 foot lizard people from space" guy. Does he also hate the jews?

Icke goes around talking about how 7 foot lizard people from space run the world but his fanbase is divided between people who think he means 7 foot lizard people from space, and the other people who think he means (((7 foot lizard people from space))).

Jon Ronson followed him round for a bit and concluded that as far as he could tell Icke genuinely believes in the lizard people, but he also says the lizards are Zionist Rothschilds, so who the gently caress knows. He declared himself the son of God on a primetime chat show so his messaging isn't exactly consistent.

darkwasthenight
Jan 7, 2011

GENE TRAITOR

EvilGenius posted:

I agree.

I suppose what I'm a disagreeing with is that someone could have that much cash on them with no immediate, plausible explanation, and it not be linked to crime.

I have just under a thousand GBP in cash in me right now with no real audit trail because I sold a bunch of music gear through gumtree. It'll go in the bank tomorrow but right now I have no proof of how I got it beyond an absence of guitars in my house.

darkwasthenight
Jan 7, 2011

GENE TRAITOR

MarcusSA posted:

Lol what? I have so many questions.

Genuine answer - it's a push for raising awareness by wearing odd socks, because chromosomes are sock shaped and they have an extra one. Honest.

darkwasthenight
Jan 7, 2011

GENE TRAITOR

No (Some) Stupid Questions

darkwasthenight
Jan 7, 2011

GENE TRAITOR
I can't believe a "PrEP the Bull" joke went over so many heads at once. Poz my neg karma.

darkwasthenight
Jan 7, 2011

GENE TRAITOR

PurpleXVI posted:

How the gently caress would you still marry someone who did that to you and still associate with anyone else in on the "gag"? That's a prime loving :sever: moment right there.

He lives in Devon, so it'd be terribly awkward if he didn't marry her and then still had to see her at every family event afterwards.

darkwasthenight
Jan 7, 2011

GENE TRAITOR

DJ Fuckboy Supreme posted:

Here I was thinking it was the opposite, that she was rumored to have been too racist for wherever but the truth was ketamine. Iunno, either way she's horrible and it's a shame she feels empowered to tell a Muslim woman that British nationalism is back because her party won the majority.

The actual joke here is that Baroness Warsi was literally the Chairman of the Tory Party for a few years and stayed as a Senior Minister For Us Not Looking Like Racist Bastards for some time after that. She eventually grew a spine and quit over their Israel-Palestine policy but remains a life Peer. She's still a professional terrible-opinions-haver but at least one with enough balls to call out her own party on Islamophobia.

Hopkins is not a registered Tory as far as I'm aware and certainly has no official connection to the party apart from sharing their basic lizard DNA - she was pegging her hat on UKIP for a bit but even Farage could recognise she was electoral death on legs. She now posts about her vagina capacity on twitter.

darkwasthenight
Jan 7, 2011

GENE TRAITOR

Ambitious Spider posted:

Can't tell if that's supposed to be Jesus or a throuple

Jesus Is My Metamour.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

darkwasthenight
Jan 7, 2011

GENE TRAITOR

Proteus Jones posted:

How the gently caress is going out for a drive putting people at risk? Even if you have to top up the car, you never have to interact with a single human being (except maybe WA and NJ)

The issue is if you crash, or have a heart attack, or just sprain your ankle you take up resources that aren't available right now. It's not your risk they're concerned about. Plus it's a general deterrent to stop people nipping round to their mate's house and just lying about where they're going.