Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TwistedNails
Dec 1, 2008

Sigma-X posted:

This kind of poo poo gets posted on the misprints FB group all the time. It'd probably go for like $50, maybe?

Do you have a link to that fb group? I bought a box today and got a slightly miscut black vise masterpiece.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TwistedNails
Dec 1, 2008

Sigma-X posted:

https://www.facebook.com/groups/MTGmisprints/

If it's slightly offcenter it's not going to fly there, but if one of the corners isn't curved it will, not sure what 'slightly miscut' means.

Thanks, not sure if they'd want something like this but the card is very off center and the upper left corner has possibly the start of a letter from another card on the sheet on it.

Edit: After reading their rules it doesn't look like it belongs there so I'll hold it for a while and try and sell it normally to a person or a store.

TwistedNails fucked around with this message at 03:45 on Jan 21, 2017

TwistedNails
Dec 1, 2008

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

God I hate Kevin Jones. What a staller.

What the hell do you consider stalling?

TwistedNails
Dec 1, 2008

Did Caleb's deck play Tireless Tracker or Rishkar?

TwistedNails
Dec 1, 2008

Sickening posted:

He ran some number of rishkar. Didn't see a tracker in the games I watched.

Thanks, it's a little off from the list that was shared with me a few days ago then. When does SCG normally post decklists?

edit: This was the list going around here locally

3 Rishkar, Peema Renegade
4 Winding Constrictor
3 Verdurous Gearhulk
4 Servant of the Conduit
4 Tireless Tracker
3 Fatal Push
3 Grasp of Darkness
4 Nissa, Voice of Zendikar
4 Blooming Marsh
4 Aether Hub
4 Hissing Quagmire
6 Swamp
5 Forest
1 Westvale Abbey
2 Aethersphere Harvester
4 Glint-Sleeve Siphoner
2 Walking Ballista

2 Kalitas, Traitor of Ghet
2 Ob Nixilis Reignited
2 Lost Legacy
2 Appetite for the Unnatural
3 Transgress the Mind
2 Plummet
1 Natural State
1 Aethersphere Harvester

TwistedNails
Dec 1, 2008

Dykman was one of the local guys from here in MI running that GB list, cool seeing him do so well. Great player

TwistedNails
Dec 1, 2008

Aranan posted:

I have never been a huge fan of standard--even when it was Type II I avoided it because I don't like how fast the sets rotate. I want to start messing around with modern, but I am super unfamiliar with the format. Is there a good place to go to learn about the decks (not just deck lists) that shape the format?

I just started playing again last year and built my first modern deck a few weeks ago. The best places to look are the mtggoldfish meta game or mtgtop8 lists for modern, learn the cards and watch a lot of streams or youtube videos on the decks matchups. I'm still clueless on a lot of the modern cards but watching games seems to be the best way to learn the meta decks.

TwistedNails
Dec 1, 2008

Aranan posted:

Thanks, guys. I knew about mtggoldfish which is a great list resource, and some of their oddball brewed Modern decks look amusing.

Any recommendations for good modern streamers or YouTube vids?

Todd Stevens does a good stream and plays a ton of modern.

TwistedNails
Dec 1, 2008

mcmagic posted:

He plays bad modern decks though.

You can still learn a lot watching his stream because most of the people he plays are playing good decks. Bad decks are fun, non-tier 1 modern is fun.

TwistedNails
Dec 1, 2008

Oldsrocket_27 posted:

The king of getting away with slow play.

he needed that 20 seconds to stretch after looking at his GY.

TwistedNails
Dec 1, 2008

Rinkles posted:

Why was that aggro deck playing so many basic islands? I think we only saw rebuke. What's the rest of the blue for?

I think he had spell quellers

TwistedNails
Dec 1, 2008

I need the PT to drive the prices up so I can sell mine.

TwistedNails
Dec 1, 2008

I won't have time to fully rebuild my GR energy deck before the next FNM, what are some good upgrades for it from AER if anyone is still running it?

TwistedNails
Dec 1, 2008

Dehtraen posted:

Invigorated Rampage seems quite strong in testing to me. Highspire Infusion, on the other hand, has been lackluster. Upside is both can be found in draft leavings.

I'll try this out tonight, thank you.

TwistedNails
Dec 1, 2008

mcmagic posted:

It's not played in non-temple decks anymore. And it sees zero Standard play.

Bank Eldrazi standard made the top 64 at the open. It had Thought-Knot in it.

TwistedNails
Dec 1, 2008

Aetherflux reservoir deck winning its first match today against gw tokens was awesome.

TwistedNails
Dec 1, 2008

Mikujin posted:

Hey, quick question for the thread as a whole: would folks here be willing to participate in a short, anonymous survey relating to the demographics and perceptions of inclusiveness of the MTG Community?

Background: I'm doing a community research project over the next few months, and since I've got plenty of personal experience in this community it seemed like a good fit. There's a lot of active folks here from all walks, and I thought it'd be another good place to go with this. I've reached out to my current and former LGSs, judge groups, and even a few pros/streamers, so I'm just looking for more avenues to collect data.

For sure

TwistedNails
Dec 1, 2008

This temur eldrazi deck is awesome, I have almost every card in it too so I will have to try it out.

TwistedNails
Dec 1, 2008

Alris posted:

Is there a decklist floating around for this?

It looks to be this list, maybe it's off on a few quantities but this list has everything I saw on stream.

https://www.mtggoldfish.com/deck/558294#online

TwistedNails
Dec 1, 2008

Balon posted:

PT top 8 is going to be 4+ Saheeli combo decks, the rest GB varients. Then we'll get a Cat ban and (something out of GB).

Having the format "solved" so quickly is what's really killed standard lately. There's always one "best" deck and one "deck that beats the best deck" and it's been like this for several rotations now. Until development catches up with good solutions to this we're in for the worst standard seasons for a year+ to come.

Nothing in GB will be banned.

TwistedNails
Dec 1, 2008

You could also download Xmage and put together decks and test them out in there. I wish I did that before I bought into the game last year. My first two decks were awful.

TwistedNails
Dec 1, 2008

MisterOblivious posted:

magiccards doesn't support https connections so SA won't display images from them.

They look great on the Something app.

TwistedNails
Dec 1, 2008

Oh man, that guy blowing game 1 by forgetting to declare his needle spires as an attacker ( would have been lethal) then losing the next turn was brutal.

TwistedNails
Dec 1, 2008

I love watching both. They are both more fun when you know the rules.

TwistedNails
Dec 1, 2008

I traded mine for like $25 in rares, it won't get banned though.

TwistedNails
Dec 1, 2008

ShadeofBlue posted:

Better than it is now. At least you would be able to see the cards as a spectator and not have 15 minute judge calls with language barriers. I should clarify, though, I think they shouldn't do this until they have a MODO team that can stay on top of bugs better than they do now.

That's happened once in the past year that I've been watching PT's, almost every judge call happens quickly. I even play on MODO and would rather watch tournaments like the PT with physical cards.

TwistedNails
Dec 1, 2008

Sickening posted:

Lets not go into the long debate why legacy is a dying format. It also uses conspiracy mechanics designed for multiplayer in a competitive format and that is embarrassing.

I will never understand people who have enjoyed standard at all since battle. Its just been so poo poo. As poo poo as regionals was, I laugh when I think about how many would have showed if it was standard.

I started playing again at battle release, I may never know a good standard. It is super popular in my area though so I'll continue to play it, and it is fun for the first month or so after each set release.

TwistedNails
Dec 1, 2008

moush posted:

More cheating at an SCG tournament (is anyone surprised?)

https://clips.twitch.tv/kirwansgamestore/EagerHareYouWHY

Did he draw three cards? I'm not good at spotting cheats.

TwistedNails
Dec 1, 2008

He responded to me on twitter saying he drew 2 and immediately drew the third. To my eyes it looks a lot like he very briefly paused and hesitated drawing the third after flipping the first two into his hand.

https://twitter.com/Bigward28/status/828276612869345280

TwistedNails
Dec 1, 2008

If he cast the card and made that mistake I'd be more fine with it (still cheating) but he flashed It back from the gy so that's a pretty big mental screw up.

TwistedNails
Dec 1, 2008

When you get caught cheating by people be sure to spin the topic and make yourself into the victim. Not only do you get an unearned win sending you to the top 8 you also get sympathy for being a true victim.

TwistedNails
Dec 1, 2008

Blessed Alliance would have been such a great promo instead of noose.

TwistedNails
Dec 1, 2008

Rinkles posted:

Where's this swamp from?

I found it for you.

http://magiccards.info/euro/en/10.html

http://shop.tcgplayer.com/magic/european-lands/swamp-lake-district-national-park?partner=mtgtcg

TwistedNails
Dec 1, 2008

Skyl3lazer posted:

This is because eternal formats are good and people generally only play standard because A) they think it's cheaper or B) they have to for tournament reasons

Or they are new to the game and it is very easy to jump into.

TwistedNails
Dec 1, 2008

Dehtraen posted:

I feel like GP Pitt has had a lot of breaks in the coverage where they're just doing a power point slideshow of pro player stats or PT decklists with no music. Maybe I am just catching all the breaks by some random chance but it just seems to be happening a lot. They are doing timeshifted magic after the primary match but then there is dead space. I like the CFB coverage approach with pretty much has constant content between the end of the feature match and the start of the next round. Even the Star City approach of prior matches replaying, deck techs, or player interviews would be preferred.

Chat blows up every time it starts, I guess it's all commercials for people without prime or a sub.

TwistedNails
Dec 1, 2008

Soul Glo posted:

Went 3-1 in my Gameday with BR Zombies.

2-1 against a Mono Green Emerge list. In a single turn in Game 2 he played two Decimator of Provinces, and I only won Game 3 by holding up a 'boarded in Unlicensed Disintegration to kill a 11/11 Oran-Rief Hydra and killed him on the crack-back. It was a pretty cool deck, but he said it was brand new and not tuned enough. He used Aid from the Cowl and ramp to cast big things; those two big pigs came in for free, which now that I think about it, shouldn't he have only gotten one Cowl trigger off that despite having two permanents leave the battlefield that turn?

I think Aid should only trigger once per copy no matter how many permanents left the field.

TwistedNails
Dec 1, 2008

That finals was awesome, the last match was so good.

TwistedNails
Dec 1, 2008

I'd happily pay a sub to have access to everything in modern and standard.

I really hope the animations don't slow the game play way down, I don't like HS or Eternal much because of that . I don't need to see my 2/3 bump into another 2/3 with a 10 second animation every turn when I'm playing standard. I just want to play a lot of games at a quick speed online.

TwistedNails
Dec 1, 2008

Siivola posted:

It's a 60 card pregen with two boosters bundled in so you can hopefully make it a bit less poo poo. No box, far as I can tell. http://magic.wizards.com/en/articles/archive/feature/aether-revolt-planeswalker-deck-lists-2017-01-11

They come with boxes, the ajani deck is so bad at the prerelease event we played matches with these for the double sided foil token promo and it lost every game to the tez deck no matter who played it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TwistedNails
Dec 1, 2008

mcmagic posted:

We went 6-3 in the team event and it was really a good time. I'm sure there will be a lot more team events because it sold out and everyone seemed to like it. We did have something happen in one of our matches at 4-2 which eliminated us from day 2 that was pretty tilting. My buddy was playing Ad Nauseam in modern and in G1 of his match he goes off, draws his deck and casts Lightning Storm and discards 9 lands which is lethal so his opponent thinks for a while and says "OK but let me see your deck." So my friend gives the guy the rest of his deck that he just drew waits a second and then starts picking up his permanents. So the opponent sees this and says "The game isn't over you just forfeited the game by picking up your permanents." After like a 15 min judge call they gave my friend the game but if anything calls for a DQ that should be it. Just blatantly trying to steal a game that is for intents and purposes over is pretty much the scummiest of the scum move and should have no place in this game. The rear end in a top hat ended up winning games 2 and 3 and knocking us out. Left a bad taste for sure.

Those type of players are the worst, all that gotcha poo poo is horrible and the guy should have been given more than a game loss. That type of play ruins the game for people, I'm glad you all enjoyed the event though. I've been watching and it looks awesome and I hope to see more.

• Locked thread