Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
clamiam45
Sep 10, 2005

HIGH FIVE! I'M GAY TOO!!!!!!

Lieutenant Centaur posted:

so lsv rage dropped out of scg denver because he lost his first game. lmao what a baby

Not even the first match, just the first game? Also did he really rage about it? Based on his public persona, he doesn't seem like a bigtime rager.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

clamiam45
Sep 10, 2005

mcmagic posted:

Is there anyone who enjoys listening to Randy Buehler do commentary?

Also, aren't you not allowed to put that Khans sign on top of your deck in Professional REL?

Yeah I like his enthusiasm. I think he comes across as enjoying the game on a different level than any other commentator. Also I'm not bothered at all by his forgetting cards or whatever.

clamiam45
Sep 10, 2005

Niton posted:

Cedric Phillips is the most enthusiastic commentator, and I don't think it's particularly close. Dude is a fantastic hype man, and i'm sure his heavy interest in pro sports helped make him as good as he is.

I don't watch SCG that much, but I listen to Cedric's podcast. I definitely like him and would put him close to Randy in terms of enthusiasm. I'm not making GBS threads on Cedric at all, he's great.

clamiam45
Sep 10, 2005

Attorney at Funk posted:

Would the LGS as it currently exists even be possible without the MtG secondary market?

I recently moved, but my old games store was really diversified. They sold board games, many different card games, miniatures, comic books, food, and had beer on tap. It doesn't seem far fetched that much of their business would be able to carry on fine without the Magic secondary market.

Vital Signs posted:

Man, everyone who works at the shop I run tournaments at was torn about if we should do 2HG or not. We asked a sample size of regulars, 10-15 people, and most would rather play traditional pre-release sealed. Now that I'm seeing cards come out, I wonder if we should switch at least one day to 2HG. Pretty much damned if you do, damned if you don't feeling to it.

Have you considered just letting them pre-register far in advance for planning purposes?

clamiam45
Sep 10, 2005

I'm thinking of going to a paper prerelease for the first time in forever tomorrow. Is there a good guide to this sealed format written?

clamiam45
Sep 10, 2005

Nice, thanks for the info.

Anybody else planning on going to Channel Fireball Game Center?

clamiam45
Sep 10, 2005

Got my 8 digit DCI number back from 2002, now time to get ready for my first paper pre-release in years! :coolfish:

clamiam45
Sep 10, 2005

clamiam45 posted:

Got my 8 digit DCI number back from 2002, now time to get ready for my first paper pre-release in years! :coolfish:

Went 3-0 with Black/Red! I played somewhat aggro, which I thought would be bad in sealed, but worked out well. Flying was absurdly good for me. I had Heir of Falkenrath, two Olivia's Bloodsworn, and Crow of Dark Tidings. Other MVP was Accursed Witch as my games were grindy and the drain effect helped a lot.

I splashed for Arlinn Kord, but of course never drew it.

Where do people sell their cards on SA? Is there still a thread in SAMart?

clamiam45
Sep 10, 2005

KidDynamite posted:

What time do I find out if I get to keep playing modern or if I only draft occasionally from now on?

Just curious, what bans would trigger your quitting modern?

clamiam45
Sep 10, 2005

Sickening posted:

I hear they are doing a B&R update today. This is just a reminder. It is weird that nobody else is talking about this.

There's not really anything to say beforehand.

clamiam45
Sep 10, 2005

Sickening posted:

I thought the sarcasm was obvious but goons say things like this. :wtc:

Yep, I didn't notice any sarcasm or humor. :) I don't follow MtG social media very closely so it's possible I don't know an in-joke or something.

This BR update is awesome! I'm excited to see if Thopter Sword is good enough to enable control. Also for the person who asked, Lodestone Golem is the second creature restricted in Vintage. Ali from Cairo was the first. However AFC was restricted at the start of the format, so this is the first time the BR update has been used to add a creature.

Rukh Egg was also restricted back when it was just Magic before types one and two.

clamiam45
Sep 10, 2005

Angry Grimace posted:

Silvestri got mad at me for telling him "Dark Jace-kai" was a really dumb deck name and he insisted that pros like himself who get to write for CFB and SCG get to name the decks therefore its Dark Jace-kai.

Haha was this in person or over the internet?

clamiam45
Sep 10, 2005

What's the point of not letting players show their picks?

clamiam45
Sep 10, 2005

Angry Grimace posted:

Sorry Cedric, CM Punk didn't *actually* take the title to New Japan Pro Wrestling, he just said he was gonna do it.

Is this an EDH thing or something?

clamiam45
Sep 10, 2005

Count Bleck posted:

I want to play Todd's UR Control so badly but I don't want to buy Jaces.

Why does it always come down to buying Jaces

Decklist?

clamiam45
Sep 10, 2005

On a related note, I'm enjoying Craig Krempels' and Cedric Phillips' banter a lot this weekend. I enjoyed the Patrick Sullivan and Cedric Phillips combination too, but I like these guys more. Krempels is more funny and playful compared to Sullivan's crotchety and angry.

clamiam45
Sep 10, 2005

TheLawinator posted:

You are a crazy person. This combo is alright but Sullivan wasn't angry or anything.

It seemed like he was always complaining.

clamiam45
Sep 10, 2005

Sickening posted:

I am sorry you feel that way but Sullivan is the greatest magic commentator that has ever done the job.

gently caress, back to back terrible opinions.

I enjoy him a lot on Ced Talks and on commentary, I just don't think he's the best. To be fair he's probably the second best (in his prime) after Randy Buehler and Brian David Marshall combination.

Edit: Also Patrick Sullivan reads the Economist. :wtc:

clamiam45 fucked around with this message at 01:51 on Apr 11, 2016

clamiam45
Sep 10, 2005

Gridlocked posted:

I'm sorry, did you just suggest Randy Buehler for a portion of "Best commentator"?

What is wrong with you?

I like it when the commentators are really enjoying themselves. Honestly there's no need for commentary for me (or most of this thread I'm betting). I'd like the setup to be either just a couple of friends having fun and joking or just player mics and no commentary.

PhyrexianLibrarian posted:

If you listen to him commentate on VSL he's great. The gap between his commentating skill on a format he cares about vs. a format he doesn't is huge.

Yeah totally. He clearly enjoys Vintage very much and it shows. That's what I like.

clamiam45
Sep 10, 2005

rabidsquid posted:

Why does anyone actually care about people asking for money to go to GPs? It's dumb to ask but what does it matter

Totally agree, this is so weirdly judge-y.

clamiam45
Sep 10, 2005

Sickening posted:

There should be some shame involved when asking for money to buy luxury trips.

Playing magic is good and doesn't hurt anybody, man.

clamiam45
Sep 10, 2005

Lottery of Babylon posted:

Food $200
Data $150
Rent $800
MTG $3,600
Utility $150
someone who is good at the economy please help me budget this. my family is dying

¿Dril?

https://twitter.com/dril/status/384408932061417472

clamiam45
Sep 10, 2005

LSV is winning with Blisterpod, Cryptolith Rite, and Loam Dryad? That's pretty spicy! How does the deck win?

clamiam45
Sep 10, 2005

Sickening posted:

By getting out a lot of creatures, turning them sideways, the cuthroating what life is left.

Hellsau posted:

The opponent drawing no lands, or just a bunch of critters and Nantuko Husk plus Zulaport Cutthroat.

Cool, thanks. Are there payoff cards that make use of the extra mana from Cryptolith Rites? Or is it just to dump your weenies faster?

clamiam45
Sep 10, 2005

Count Bleck posted:

I need this list.

Looks like Cryptolith Rites, Elvish Visionary, Blisterpod, Nantuko Husk, Zulaport Cutthroat, Westvale Abbey, Loam Dryad, Collected Company.

clamiam45
Sep 10, 2005

The fact that there were no intentional draws in the last round of this PT is really cool.

clamiam45
Sep 10, 2005

Barry Shitpeas posted:

He had a Dragon Hunter to block, I don't know if he forgot it had reach or he was just scooping because LSV was going back up to 20

Also it's possible that Luis had enough other things to sacrifice to kill anyway. I couldn't count in time.

clamiam45
Sep 10, 2005

Seth Manfield is really impressive. His last top 8 was Modern and now Standard with the intervening World Championship.

Some Numbers posted:

Okay, so I live in PST. How early does the Top 8 start tomorrow?

They've been starting at midnight for us. Not sure about tomorrow.

clamiam45
Sep 10, 2005

Rinkles posted:

The intermittent whispering and hushed laughs are lovely

The fast blinking of the camera is better!

clamiam45
Sep 10, 2005

Lancelot posted:

can someone explain why mori conceded? twitch chat thinks mengucci is scum

The reason that one of them conceded is because they're on the same team (and thus probably friends to at least some degree). A draw confirms neither of them makes the top eight. A concession is worth some amount of favor in the future to one of them.

The reason that Mori conceded is unclear and we'll probably never know. Maybe they discussed ahead of time, maybe Mori agreed that Mengucci would have won if the game had played out.

clamiam45
Sep 10, 2005

Rinkles posted:

It looked like he pressured Mori into it.

If you don't concede to me you'll never get another one of my hugs.

clamiam45
Sep 10, 2005

qbert posted:

Coverage is supposed to start at 9am local time tomorrow which is midnight PST tonight.

They're doing best of five matches, but do you know if they're sequentially or concurrently ordered?

clamiam45
Sep 10, 2005

Luis Salvatto's got a pretty sweet job.

clamiam45
Sep 10, 2005

I'm interested to see how many Magic pros (i.e. people really doing this for their profession, like the platinum ones) drop out now.

Sickening posted:

I feel like Wotc could make their events cheaper for then and most involved if they would just host the pt in the US. Seems like a more sane thing to do.

The Europeans would lose their dang minds.

clamiam45
Sep 10, 2005

rabidsquid posted:

What's budget to you, so we have some kind of base line to start with

I only have $11,000 to work with.

clamiam45
Sep 10, 2005

PhyrexianLibrarian posted:

Random question, does anyone know what the MTG scene is like in San Francisco/Bay Area? I may be moving out there and want to know how much of my collection I should sell now vs. when I get there.

I live in the South Bay and went to the SOI pre-release at Channel Fireball Game Center. It was a nice space, the people were cool, and fun all around. They have tournaments seemingly constantly.

Edit: all this complaining about how hard it is to keep track of your opponents lands, but it's against the rules to very helpfully place them in front!

clamiam45
Sep 10, 2005

anglachel posted:

It's not against the rules ... it's just a requirement ...

Oh right thanks for clearing that up.

clamiam45
Sep 10, 2005

BJPaskoff posted:

We need a "just shuffle" version of :justpost:

I really think the game would benefit from a rule specifically outlawing mana weaving and also a rule declaring that pile shuffling is slow play.

Seriously.

Why is pile shuffling allowed? Is it just under the pretense that people want to count the number of their cards?

clamiam45
Sep 10, 2005

How do y'all feel about this Vintage Cube version? I've only done a couple of drafts, but it feels less powerful and I'm not sure how I ought to be drafting it. I've got a couple of 2-1s, but it feels like both decks are really just 0-3 decks that I managed to get lucky with.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

clamiam45
Sep 10, 2005

AlternateNu posted:

How soon people forget U/W Elixir Control.

Is this post sarcastic? Hard to say because almost immediately after its pro tour victory people rushed to create the illusion it dominated the meta game.

• Locked thread