Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

FAUXTON posted:

Sounds good, though it'll necessarily have to be a fully quiet mode with no guards who can even spot you

Also most of it would be holding F to edit spreadsheets, pressing E to write a check, then holding F again to lie to investigators

That would be a great April fools heist/meta commentary on white collar crime.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

Kith posted:

Offspring holds a special place in my heart because I grew up on them - they were the only punk band that got imported to Sicily when I lived there. What band do you think would be more appropriate?

You probably want to use an Anarchist band (at least that's what Wikipedia tells me :v:) like the Dead Kennedys or Minor Threat, or use the Sex Pistols, due to their song, "Anarchy in the UK".

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

Kith posted:

Kinda blows my mind that Offspring isn't an Anarchist band. I've listened to Smash hundreds of times and I would've said that they were based on the content of that album.

Either way, today I learned that Dead Kennedys have a song called "Nazi Punks gently caress Off" and that's pretty much all I needed to know.

History lesson: the punk rock spaces were incredible welcoming to all countercultures, which made them ripe for infiltration from literal neo-nazis (https://www.gq.com/story/punks-and-nazis-oral-history). For a while Punk had a nazi problem, until they kicked them all out, more or less. It's a great real world example of the Paradox of Tolerance .

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

Saw this on twitter:

https://www.overkillsoftware.com/rk4rih3ryt7ghbeuhjrt38t/

Looks like you'll need to download the audio file, and probably run it through a spectrum analyser, if not something else.

Wonder what it gets you?

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

weekly font posted:

Is there still an active discord for this with goons now that there’s an update? I made it through two holdouts via the pubstove but I feel like it was very very lucky and would love a real group

Co-op Goons Discord (Formerly the Payday 2 Goons Discord)
https://discord.gg/vSNn4Sk

You should be able to drag enough OG's to do stuff.

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

mp5 posted:

game broken again, good job overkill

This is the weirdest marketing campaign for payday 3 I've ever seen.

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

Who is doing the music for the game? This is literally as important as the game play itself being good.

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

Discendo Vox posted:

It's worth mentioning for those not familiar that when the swap to Payday 2 occurred, most of the VAs were swapped out. In the process, Hoxton as a character was swapped out, so Pete Gold, his VA, lost the gig (and my cursory understanding is game VA work is pretty lucrative compared to some other VA areas). Pete Gold did absolutely zero of this stuff, expressing only mild regret and, as players kept requesting Hoxton's return, saying he'd be open to reprising the role. Gold got the job again when Hoxton returned, and may return again for 3. IMO, Etebari behaving this way means Starbreeze would be really dumb to rehire him; it would create incredibly perverse incentives involving both the community and their character talent. They're apparently still using Dallas's VA for the character.

Another possible motive is that they're likely not doing any live action work in Payday 3 (it was a big resource sink that was probably championed by Bo Andersson), so they can just not use real actors or their likenesses at a potentially significant savings.

Eric Etebari is a super cool dude in person, who was very appreciative (bemused?) when I told him about our "Crimedad" moniker we had given him.

No Eric no sale :colbert:

I'll probably be playing in early access

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

Isaacs Alter Ego posted:

I like that they portray the gang as having no redeemable aspects whatsoever. I feel like it'd be tempting to show them being nice to the civs but this feels way more true to the gameplay.

That's right. We are monsters with no redeeming qualities. It's just that gensec and the payday gang's enemies are somehow worse.

It's also nice to see Ice T in the payday universe. Gotta have that Hollywood star to anchor the game.

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

ClonedPickle posted:

Clover's great and has been my preferred heister since we've had preferred heisters but I've made my peace with her not returning in 3 long ago. IIRC Aoife Duffin messed her voice up somewhat recording lines for 2 - not as badly as Ulf I think, but when they got her back in the studio for medic lines it was a noticeable difference - and I'd guess Starbreeze isn't willing to hand her whatever fat sack of cash would get her back for 3.

At least not yet. Who knows where pd3 is going to go if they are as successful as pd2 was.

There's always hope :unsmith:

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

If you don't think they are going to have a secret, I don't know what to tell you. They are gonna have a secret. It was reasonably popular through two of the two paydays. It's very likely they will want to continue that.

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

CuddleCryptid posted:

It might have been popular but I can't comprehend why. It was cool at the start when it was hinting these things from a tarot book and level design and then in reality it wasn't even possible to solve til several years of paid DLC went by.

Everyone wants to feel smart and clever. All of these ARGS always promise that, and then by the time it becomes a slog, you're too invested in it to back out.

And for the very few on the cutting edge, you actually do feel smart and clever. Right, Finale? :v:

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

The Wonder Weapon posted:

Hey I played payday 2 for the first time today in like 2 years. A couple different people all got disconnected at various points and then couldn't rejoin the game afterwards. This didn't happen years and years ago when I used to play. Is this a new thing that happens now?

Sounds like the secret to me. :v:

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

explosivo posted:

Oh I guess the early access starts today if you preordered the expensive editions of PD3. Curious to hear any early reactions of anyone preordered!

I'll report back soon enough. The beta last week was very payday esque, so I'm pretty sure it's going to be more of the same cop clickin content.

(this is a good thing, and I cannot wait for this install to finish)

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

I am so glad that I try to bind my keys the same for all fps' as much as possible. We are all old with old muscle memory that makes things difficult.

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

CuddleCryptid posted:

Speaking of which the new steam overlay notes taking function is great for codes

Your oldest friend, the chat window, is very disappointed that you've moved on to the new hotness.

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

CuddleCryptid posted:

Problematic when you are grouped with chatty pubbies

Now you're just making poo poo up.

Pubbies, who use the chat function for it's intended purpose, and are also not paying attention to heist critical information at the same time?

If the pubstove is that hot, why are you touching it?

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

CuddleCryptid posted:

I'm surprised to see this as a negative because to me this is a huge improvement over how it was in PD2, which were essentially lootboxes that you occasionally got mods out of. Yeah you can remove and reapply them but you can kit out a gun fairly well in PD3 in a handful of heists.

I don't wish to constantly disagree with you, but the really powerful stuff - barrels/stocks/bigger mags are level 15+ on the weapon. And the problem is that the game encourages you to use a bunch of different weapons to get your account level up (which unlocks more weapons, etc) with the ease of getting weapon cheevos for new weapons.

Some of the low level stuff is helpful for sure - sights particularly, and the first silencer you get for quiet heists. The rest of it is pretty marginal or side grades.

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

Coolguye posted:

the weapon mod grind in pd2 was loving awful for multiple reasons so having a deterministic upgrade path for it is a big upgrade imho

that said these launch problems sound pretty dire, i'll hold off on the game until those stabilize i think

Gage weapon...thingys in the level and continental coins did a lot to ameliorate the randomness of the end of heist card system. The card system by itself was absolute dogshit, agreed.

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

Anime Store Adventure posted:

Me and a buddy have stealthed the jewelry store and the first bank.

It’s been a long time since I’ve played PD2, so maybe this is misremembering, but stealth feels a little more forgiving without it feeling cheesy. I really appreciate the extended negotiation phase but it would be nice if you could either get it a second time to delay the next wave or it was just a tiny bit easier/longer. (getting medpacks is only marginally useful, although it does make it nice to basically not have to carry a medpack deployable ever.)

It makes for a good arc if you try your best stealth but playthrough if you blow it. We’ve had a couple games where the assault was just barely hitting as we got out and it felt neat.

Researching skills is weird, to me. It feels like my strategy is going to be to equip every single one tree randomly until they’re all unlocked so I don’t have to worry about it. It takes some time, but not a ton, so it feels like a weird speed bump. I’m super appreciative respecs are free and easy.

I’ve read some complaints about the challenge based progression and I guess I’m finding myself somewhat indifferent? I think you should get something for every heist (“xp” wise) and it stinks that you don’t. It’s also weird that if you were a very sneak heavy crew you’d never get enough kills to get silencers, lol. At the same time, at least early on in the progression, I’m getting a whole bunch of challenges every single match.

My opinion could definitely sour if it gets super annoying toward the mid/end of levels.

Games fun when it works, overall. It’s what I wanted out of a Payday 3, more or less.

GunXP (GunP?) is different from infamy levels (account XP). You get gunp for your equipped weapons upon successful completion of the heist. You can get InfamyXP from doing cheevos with said guns. So you can have high level weapons and skills unlocked from running a stealth heist over and over, but you won't progress on the Account XP very fast, because you aren't clicking enough cops.

There are some stealth cheevos, like marking guards and cameras, as well as using deployables.

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

deep dish peat moss posted:

The first SMG you unlock (not the prebuilt one you can buy for c-bills) feels like the best overall weapon to me. Accurate enough to countersnipe snipers, really high DPS, quick reload, and you get plenty of ammo from ammo drops.

I'm using it with ammo and mower perks so I just get to spam infinite bullets and grenades everywhere.

e: Does anyone know what earns you more map-specific favors?

1) you're high, the first smg is poop, wait until you try the AK or even the DMR rifle (with the same set up you've got, it is very powerful). I'll give the smg another shot tonight to test it though.

2) we're not sure, but the current theory is just completing other maps (as a soft way of preventing people from bad rats-ing the same map over and over).

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

ZeusCannon posted:

Anyone make it to the double barrel yet

Yes. It is much like your username suggests. You do need to support it with the enforcer tree of skills, but it's basically designed for it.

The two shot mag size leads to some weird interactions with the "bullets into the mag" skill, so if you've got grit and edge up, the triple click to unload and start the reload isn't advised. Spacing your shots out a bit allows the bullets to teleport into your gun more reliably and keep a steady stream of buckshot flowing. Or is it blowing?

:shrug:

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

Explosionface posted:

e: and my friend playing Dallas in a loving dad sweater almost lost it when I called him Crime Dad

Eric Etabari also appreciated being told about the Crime Dad moniker.

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

explosivo posted:

Played some PD3 with the crew a few times over the last week, there's the bones of a good game here but man some of the decisions and mechanics really are baffling. We had fun doing the missions and the stealth stuff in particular was a lot of fun to perfect in a group, but the fact that you don't get XP for guns or possibly at all if you stealth a level feels directly at odds with the new improved stealth mechanics that they encourage you to engage with.

You absolutely get gun xp when you complete a mission, either stealth or loud. No idea how you managed to not see that in the post heist screen. There was recently a bug (that's now fixed) where players would max out the xp on their guns by running a single missson, but at the end would dance in and out of the escape and the game awarded gun xp for each entry and exit of the escape before the mission ended.

You also get infamy points for stealth completing a map, but usually it's going to be less than on loud because of how the cheevo for infamy point system is set up. Most of the infamy point cheevos are for killing. There are stealth ones as well.

Have a look at pd3.gg. It's easier to parse that website than the absolute gently caress fest of the in game infamy progression.

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

EorayMel posted:

To celebrate(?) the title change here is something fun to look at

Ded gaem. Payday 3 died so that their new D&D project could live.

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

Geight posted:

At one point Overkill understood Rats was fun because they did a single-day version of just day one. Thinking about that has made me wonder what the "best" time for Payday 2 was. I started playing around when Big Bank was added which meant I never played at all with original stealth, no cloakers, etc. The hope is Payday 3 can follow the same trajectory but it's hard to be optimistic about that!

Hotline Miami 2 maps felt like the high watermark for me. It was certainly when I was playing the most.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

Anime Store Adventure posted:

I should have uninstalled the game entirely especially when my Payday group (and more friends!) all jumped on Helldivers, because this patch is now downloading a single file on steam, validating the entire game, and repeating. It's been updating for two days, lmao.

This is the weirdest Dr. Miserable run I've ever seen.