Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

ReidRansom posted:

You can't self select for white, it's granted by consensus from other confirmed and accepted whites.

He was a rapist cop, I'm pretty sure he passed the test.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

comes along bort posted:

The mean household income of NPR's audience is over $80k/yr. The economy is doing pretty well for them.

This becomes a lot more concrete each spring with NPR's annual "the things parents have to do to get their kids into college" story.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Riosan posted:

Hahaha. Did these nutjobs forget that just 3 years ago, he was the GOP Vice Presidential nominee? Now he's the Islamic Manchurian candidate?

He lost, therefore he's GOPe RINO scum who probably collaborates with the Democratic Muslim Atheist committee to oppose Trump/Carson 2016, the True Saviors.

God, I've been reading the Freeper thread too long.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

On Terra Firma posted:

A small town in North Carolina rejected solar power for a totally rational reason.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/w...n-a6771526.html

Retired science teacher. My loving god. :suicide:

The Independent chose to clip off part of the original:

quote:

Mary Hobbs has been living in Woodland for 50 years and said she has watched it slowly becoming a ghost town with no job opportunities for young people.

She said her home is surrounded by solar farms and is no longer worth its value because of those facilities.

She added that the only people profiting are the landowners who sell their land, the solar companies, and the electrical companies.
The town would not benefit from the solar farms because they are not located within the town limits, but only in the extraterritorial sections.
The power generated would go directly into the electrical grid and would not reduce Woodland’s power bills.

Sounds like typical "we don't get any benefit so not in my backyard" was the real reason, with some idiots for window dressing.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

comes along bort posted:

Yep that's the real angle. The northeastern corner of NC is a hot market for solar farms, with one of the largest on the east coast set to come online next year. Outside timber plots for wood pellet harvesting, leasing out some unused farmland is about the only growth industry in the region. I guarantee that lady is either pissed off because her neighbors are getting checks for doing nothing and she sold off her daddy's land years ago, or if she still had land the offer she got wasn't what she was expecting.

But it's easier and more fun to write a story about backwoods hicks who think that photographs steal their souls.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Wait, are you saying that the UK Independent and everyone else who ran with this story intentionally excised the parts of the original story which explained the real reasons for rejecting the solar farm in order to paint a small town as a bunch of backwoods inbreds who probably think that photography steals their souls?

I am shocked.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Luigi Thirty posted:

The vast majority of Airbnb units in cities are owned by slumlords taking advantage of the total lack of regulation on their unlicensed hotels. They've taken something like 40% of units off the rental market in San Francisco. Most Airbnb owners in New York own more than ten units.

Which I'm sure is an unintended side effect that Airbnb in no way anticipated because they just want to drive the "sharing economy" and not the intended result of technolibertarians undermining regulation and labor practices via "on the internet!"

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Stereotype posted:

I wish Uber and Airbnb weren't run by ruthless libertarian douchebags because they really did make some significant improvements to their respective industries.

I don't know, I was able to pick up gypsy cabs pretty easily back in 2005 and even a few times as early as 1997.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Riptor posted:

With an app that told you exactly where the car was, let you split the fare with friends (even if they weren't with you at the time) and allowed you to pay with credit?

Those gypsy cabs?

My those are revolutionary improvements.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

BUBBA GAY DUDLEY posted:

He's just so proud of it!

Most Congressmen hope for cushy lobbying jobs after their terms. Flake is apparently hoping for a MAD writing job.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Agreed: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jGQ-ISsDm8M

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Grouchio posted:

poo poo poo poo poo poo how hosed is Bernie now? :gonk:

Arzycon 3

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Mr Interweb posted:

So I was reading an article that mentioned how the new spending bill extended solar and wind tax credits, which is good. However, it also said that solar penetration in the U.S. is less than half a loving percent?! How the hell is it so low? Haven't we had solar for decades now? :psyduck:

We have, but

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Joementum posted:

Though really, serving "tandoori beef" is stupid.

The regions it originated from are majority Muslim so ?

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Joementum posted:

Today was the last day Graham could drop out if he wanted his name removed from the SC primary ballot, so this is him avoiding embarrassment in his home state. None of the other candidates have that same pressure, though Huck might want to avoid embarrassment in Iowa.

Honestly forgot that Huckabee is a candidate this cycle.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

hangedman1984 posted:

One great thing to come out of the Sanders datagate thing is all the hate that DWS is getting

On the other hand, the Democratic Party probably doesn't give a poo poo what internet liberals who routinely talk about how they would never join the centrist Democratic Party think or how many change.org petitions they sign.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

McDowell posted:

Closed primaries are bad - yes. My state lets me register as unaffiliated - by voting in a primary I register/declare as a member of that party - and I can reregister as 'unaffiliated' at the municipal office with a 'cooldown' time before the next primary. States that don't have this mechanism are bad and should be agitated against.

I can see both sides. I enjoy being able to vote in open primaries in my state but I wouldn't complain if I weren't allowed to.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Pararoid posted:

Could someone explain to a non-American why almost everyone, even what I would have guessed were his original supporters, have turned on Michael Moore so distinctly?

Am I misreading this? Because it seems like every time he comes up everyone, even in leftist circles, just rips into him.

As an outsider all I've really seen is the old TV show and some of the movies, but in all honesty hasn't history been generally kind; guns are still out of control and 9/11 is still used as material for fear mongering to this very day?

He's the designated whipping boy so liberals can say "see, we don't tolerate extremists on OUR side."

But yeah, his movies and TV shows were great and paved the way for things like the Daily Show segments we all praise.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

TheDisreputableDog posted:

http://www.factcheck.org/2008/11/its-official-obama-born-in-the-usa/

I'm sure it was just some disaffected hillaryis44 types and had nothing at all to do with the campaign itself!

So you trust the fact checkers to say that it came from Clinton supporters but you don't trust them to say that it didn't come from the campaign itself?

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

FlamingLiberal posted:

My wife has that same problem at her school. They have gotten strict about throwing food away when she used to be able to give the meals away to kids. This is at a school for mostly black and Hispanic kids that are extremely poor.

Americain2015.txt

Aren't they eligible for free/reduced lunch?

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Gravel Gravy posted:

Anyone else remember when grocery stores were discussing poisoning loaves of bread and other food that they throw out in order to avoid homeless from digging through their trash?

Steinbeck is always relevant:

quote:

The works of the roots of the vines, of the trees, must be destroyed to keep up the price, and this is the saddest, bitterest thing of all. Carloads of oranges dumped on the ground. The people came for miles to take the fruit, but this could not be. How would they buy oranges at twenty cents a dozen if they could drive out and pick them up? And men with hoses squirt kerosene on the oranges, and they are angry at the crime, angry at the people who have come to take the fruit. A million people hungry, needing the fruit—and kerosene spayed over the golden mountains.
And the smell of rot fills the country.
Burn coffee for fuel in the ships. Burn corn to keep warm, it makes a hot fire. Dump potatoes in the river and place guards along the banks to keep the hungry people from fishing them out. Slaughter the pigs and bury them, and let the putrescence drip down into the earth.
There is a crime here that goes beyond denunciation. There is a sorrow here that weeping cannot symbolize. There is a failure here that topples all our success. The fertile earth, the straight tree rows, the sturdy trunks, and the ripe fruit. And children dying of pellagra must die because a profit cannot be taken from an orange. And coroners must fill in the certificates—died of malnutrition---because the food must rot, must be forced to rot.
The people come with nets to fish for potatoes in the river, and the guards hold them back; they come in rattling cars to get the dumped oranges, but the kerosene is sprayed. And they stand still and watch the potatoes float by, listen to the screaming pigs being killed in a ditch and covered with quicklime, watch the mountains of oranges slop down to a putrefying ooze; and in the eyes of the people there is the failure; and in the eyes of the hungry there is a growing wrath. In the souls of the people the grapes of wrath are filling and growing heavy, growing heavy for the vintage.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

shrike82 posted:

I'm all in favor of maximally pissing off white people during Christmas but I've been scratching my head about protests like OWS and BLM.
People can't seem to articulate the goals of these protests beyond "raising awareness" which seems meaningless.

That said, I'm loving the reddit outrage.

Well it has also done a good job separating liberals who actually care about change and progress and liberals who like to say they are until it inconveniences them in some way.

Exactly the same thing happens during union strikes. "Oh I support labor and fairness and good working conditions but this is making my life difficult so I can't support them." Teachers' strikes are even worse. "How dare they use our children's education as a bargaining chip!"

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

GalacticAcid posted:

I'm off to celebrate the holiday, so long for now USPol.

Merry Christmas, Libs!

If more TCOT would shoot their computers it would be quite the Merry Christmas gift for us all.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May
So if we're really good, can we all have an extra Christmas present?

quote:

Conservative activists are targeting House Speaker Paul D. Ryan for a primary challenge next year as retribution for the massive spending bill the Wisconsin Republican ushered through Congress at the end of the recent session.

The hunt is on to find a suitable conservative candidate who can beat Mr. Ryan, who received 94 percent of the vote in the 2014 primary in his district, which sits against the Illinois border in the southeastern part of the state.

“There are people who are seriously looking for that,” said James Murphy, founder of Green Bay Tea Party. “There is a sympathetic ear to having someone beat him.”

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Defenestration posted:

If by "saving" star trek you mean "turning it into an Avengers-type blow-em-up summer popcorn flick franchise to which the bros shall flock and the studios shall swim in $$$$" I guess.

As opposed to, you know, making the god drat DS9 movie like they should have ages ago.

DS9 wrapped up really well and it's better they didn't take a giant Generations poo poo on the show afterwards.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

GalacticAcid posted:

I've heard this sentiment before but have to conclude it's bullshit. Baseball's biggest concentrations of fans are in places like New York, Boston, Chicago, Pittsburgh, LA ~ it's ridiculous to cast it as a down home Good Old Southron Boy pursuit.

Yeah, casting it as "southern racists" is weird. It's mostly northern racists, concentrated in places known for their abuse of minorities like New York, Boston, Chicago, Pittsburgh, LA...

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

GalacticAcid posted:

The thread mentioned Nassim Taleb the other day and he continues to say dumber and dumber poo poo.

"Hillary Monsanto-Malmaison"?
:what:

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

radical meme posted:

No. Some things can be justified. Most things BLM does can't be. Let me know though if BLM ever, ever does anything productive.

They have, hth.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

FAUXTON posted:

You'd think these chucklefucks would be all for it since it would make identifying immigrants easier if it was a standardized field on all states' IDs. But that would be the logical follow-on to their xenophobic bullshit and :lol: like these shitters give a drat about anything other than the capacity to kneecap the country so it makes the black guy in the oval office look bad.

Yeah, um, the complaint vs noncompliant states aren't red/blue like you think:

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

radical meme posted:

I stand by that assessment and will until they do something productive.

If you aren't aware of any of the police reforms which have been proposed and enacted in the last two years you really shouldn't be in this conversation. Get a newspaper.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

blue squares posted:

Why would anyone care what libertarians think about anything?

Because their ideas make their way to economic and political policy.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Trent posted:

For those correcting or directly responding to BLM with ALM I agree. Like the other poster above, my mother used ALM honestly thinking she was just being even more inclusive and progressive. It was a stupid but honest mistake. In her case, all it took was showing her the all houses matter comic for her to realize that the statement, while actually very positive in a vacuum, is incredibly tone-deaf and racist sounding in the current climate.

And that was the bigot vs buffoon distinction I was making earlier. One is testing you to see if you'd be down with dropping some n-bombs together, while the other is well meaning but naïve. In other words one is worth engaging with about it.

It is. Last year, I recall seeing a church with both "black lives matter" and "all lives matter" signs up. They contributed to the marches. They were a queer-friendly church and to them, "all lives matter" was up because of the underreported police violence against LGBTQ people.
Similarly, we had people show up to protests with "I <3 Ferguson" stuff. They had it as a response to the national media portraying Ferguson as a hell-hole and their meaning for the slogan was that they loved their community and therefore wanted to improve it by fighting injustice in it. They were genuinely surprised that the slogan was being slowly co-opted by people who meant "I <3 White Ferguson" by it.

Assuming the worst of people and dismissing them as "the enemy" automatically is not fair or productive.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

AShamefulDisplay posted:

I've tried Ecclesiasts and Job but to no avail.

Too bad. They're considered to have great literary significance. Job in particular is regarded as one of the finer examples of bronze age poetry.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

SquadronROE posted:

Saw this on Facebook:

But clicking through only shows a ton of right wing links (mostly The Daily Caller) saying that this is the beginning of the end of the 2nd Amendment (hurray!). Anyone know more about it?

I googled "california gun law" and yeah the entire first page or results was Daily Caller, Fox Nation, Newsmax, WND, Washinton Times, etc. but on the second page I found

quote:

Passed in response to the 2014 Isla Vista massacre that killed Martinez’s 20-year-old son, Christopher Michaels-Martinez of Los Osos, it will allow law enforcement or family members to seek restraining orders suspending gun ownership for people who pose a threat to themselves or others.In the aftermath of the Isla Vista shooting, victims and authorities were haunted by the revelation that the family of killer Elliot Rodger had expressed concerns to mental health workers. Sheriff’s deputies dispatched to Rodger’s apartment departed without touching the three handguns he had legally obtained.

“In many instances — Isla Vista, Tucson, the Navy Yard — family members saw red flags which indicated their family member may be unstable,” Martinez said. The restraining orders “give families and law enforcement a tool they didn’t previously have in these situations where someone is mentally unstable and a substantial danger to others

The sheriff of rural Mendocino County, Allman considers himself a Second Amendment stalwart. He adamantly supports the right to carry concealed weapons. He still supports the new law, drawing on reasons both professional and personal.

“I don’t think a week can go by that we can’t attribute some type of gun violence to a mental health situation,” Allman said, adding of his brother’s death: “I don’t know if this specific bill would have prevented this from happening, but it certainly would have been an option for my family and I to consider.”

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Captain_Maclaine posted:

Or carry anything that resembles heat, or do anything at all really.

http://www.theonion.com/graphic/tips-for-being-an-unarmed-black-teen-36697

quote:

• Shy away from dangerous, heavily policed areas.
  • Avoid swaggering or any other confident behavior that suggests you are not completely subjugated.
  • Be sure not to pick up any object that could be perceived by a police officer as a firearm, such as a cell phone, a food item, or nothing.
  • Explain in clear and logical terms that you do not enjoy being shot, and would prefer that it not happen.
  • Don’t let society stereotype you as a petty criminal. Remember that you can be seen as so much more, from an armed robbery suspect, to a rape suspect, to a murder suspect.
  • Try to see it from a police officer’s point of view: You may be unarmed, but you’re also black.
  • Avoid wearing clothing associated with the gang lifestyle, such as shirts and pants.
  • Revel in the fact that by simply existing, you exert a threatening presence over the nation’s police force.
  • Be as polite and straightforward as possible when police officers are kicking the poo poo out of you.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

SedanChair posted:

Now hang on just a minute.

I'd agree. The health care in prisons is the same as the health care a convicted felon with no means of payment would receive in a private hospital.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Bip Roberts posted:

1960's Corvette is about 5 levels of classier than 80's Trans Am.

True, and this is Biden's actual car:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

SirKibbles posted:

Hey I wonder what Martin O Malley is up to....

Martin O'Malley fails to qualify for Ohio's primary ballot

Oh. Business as usual.

Looks like more DWS-Clinton shenanigans. :argh:

• Locked thread