Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pentecoastal Elites
Feb 27, 2007

have the Palestinians tried voting? Or running for office, perhaps? If their ideas like "we shouldn't have to live in an open air prison", "our children shouldn't be gunned down in the streets by agents of an apartheid government" are so good, surely they would win in the political arena! All of this violence is quite disturbing and I feel that there is no reason, in my humble opinion, to resort to violence like shooting guns and launching rockets even if you believe very strongly in your ideals! What a shame. I hope both sides can quickly come to an amicable agreement.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pentecoastal Elites
Feb 27, 2007

Senjuro posted:

Despite how a certain forum likes to portray it, I haven't seen a single post suggesting the Palestinians should refrain from all violence, only to avoid deliberate targeting of civilians.

Are you aware military service is compulsory in Israel? It doesn't seem very fair to me that you deserve to be targeted simply because your grandparents moved somewhere and now it is "okay" to kill you because you have been forced into the military.
I'm sorry if you believe very strongly in the Palestinian cause but unfortunately violence is never the answer. Personally I'd like to see a reasonable Palestinian party rise to prominence in Israeli government, where they will be able to pass mutually beneficial reforms.

Pentecoastal Elites
Feb 27, 2007

Miftan posted:

Contrary to popular belief, military service is not mandatory in Israel. You can choose to go to jail which is the vastly more moral option, despite being looked down at by most of the Israeli population (because most of the Israeli population is insanely right wing)

I see. Surely the conscientious objections of these men and women have done a great deal to dissuade the Israeli state from engaging in acts of what must be clearly unpopular aggression. Perhaps the Palestinians can learn from their example, and not resort to this awful indiscriminate violence!

Zeron posted:

Settlements and displacements are ongoing to this day, it's not a distant past thing. It's a bit ridiculous to try to dictate how people with no recourses or options should try to fight back against active genocide at all, but "They should let themselves be killed until the people killing them VOTE to stop killing them." is certainly one of the most unreasonable ones I've heard. Every Israeli settler is actively participating in war crimes, their presence alone is considered a war crime let alone all the indiscriminate murder, hospital bombing, etc done on their behalf. Sure, it'd be much nicer if Israel decided to stop committing genocide and made peace, but if that's not happening.

I'm sorry, but violence is never acceptable. As Israel is a democratic state it is incumbent upon the Palestinians to utilize the nonviolent vehicle of democratic politics to argue for their cause. The first thing they ought to do is raise awareness of their situation by nonviolent means. One idea could be to hold a nonviolent demonstration or march at a regular time, perhaps every Friday, for instance. That would go a long way to informing Israelis that Palestinian voices are being under-represented in Israeli politics.

Failed Imagineer posted:

Lmao.

If there's one class of humans on the planet that are most "ok to kill", it's the willing participants of state militaries. If that particular state happens to be engaged in genocide that just makes such acts more congruent with the tenets and principles of international law

I'm sorry but it is inappropriate to "lmao" at the idea of people being killed, even (perhaps especially!) if you disagree with them. If your grandparents moved to Israel and you were forced into the military (or face jail time), how could it be "your fault", and thus make you "ok to kill" (a hideous string of words to even write). I personally believe that no one is "ok to kill", least of all people who were not able to choose where they were born or if their government was going to force them to spend time in military service!

Pentecoastal Elites
Feb 27, 2007

Civilized Fishbot posted:

I know a lot of Zionists who sound like you - the endless sarcastic mockery of anyone who thinks mass murder is awful - and it's not less obnoxious on this flavor.

If you think that what happened today did or didn't accomplish something positive, you should just say so, if you think these people did or didn't deserve to die,.you should just say so. But it's obnoxious to pretend anyone here doesn't realize that every nonviolent attempt to prevent or resist colonialism in Palestine has ultimately failed.

I'm not quite sure I follow -- whom amongst us does not think any sort of killing of fellow human being is awful? Why does someone deserve to die simply because their grandparents abetted an apartheid government's rapacious theft of the homes of a people they regard as subhuman? Even if they themselves, for instance, were literally the people evicting families from their homes so they could move in on behalf of a psychotic far-right extremist government, were they not simply acting in their rational self-interest? Why should they deserve to die? That you continue to live in their (or their grandparents', as it were), even if it is complicity in the genocidal destruction of a people who have had a boot on their necks for generations, ought not make you a target of violence!

No, the murder of anyone -- "civilian" (whatever that loaded term might mean!) or otherwise is simply and inarguably morally wrong. I'm sorry if you are trapped within an open air prison run by one of, perhaps the singular, most vile and despicable far-right government run by out-and-out genocidal lunatics who have waged a decades long campaign to eradicate you and yours from the face of the earth for the crime of having lived in a place they have decided is theirs -- but resorting to violence simply cannot be tolerated!

Pentecoastal Elites
Feb 27, 2007

zer0spunk posted:

yeah we get it, you advocate for murder, but with more steps you think are clever but in reality are just incredibly grating. fantastic

Pardon me, but I have been vociferously advocating against murder, and to misconstrue my arguments ITT is a violation of D&D's rules and I ask you to refrain from doing so in the future.

Pentecoastal Elites
Feb 27, 2007

Nonsense posted:

https://twitter.com/BarakRavid/status/1710738576915239401

I wonder where these people are supposed to flee to Bibi?

Certainly every responsible Palestinian adult by now has a travel permit, so it should not be too great of an issue for a nonviolent Palestinian to travel to, for example, the West Bank or East Jerusalem and stay with family and friends, or perhaps in a hotel or one of Israel's many Airbnb rental units until this blows over. If they're not engaging in this despicable Hamas-led terrorist violence, they should have nothing to worry about (aside from perhaps their weekend plans, unfortunately!)

Pentecoastal Elites
Feb 27, 2007

Iamgoofball posted:

get better material imho, low effort LARPing as the world's dumbest centrist stopped being funny after the first post, this is not your best shitposting work and just comes off as getting cheap laughs in at the horrifying genocide of the Palestinian people at the hands of a fascist ethnostate

obviously, the Palestinian genocide is not something that can be stopped by peaceful protest, everyone reading this thread knows that the "Palestinians must only peacefully protest against the fascist ethnostate genociding them or i can't support them anymore" viewpoint is a stupid and bad one to view things through and nobody in here is advocating for that viewpoint, so why bother with this LARPing nonsense? it won't kill you to discuss things seriously in debate and discussion, i'm gonna get a sixer for this one but i hope you take this to heart and consider actually engaging with the discussion in a positive way instead of continuing to make fun of this hypothetical centrist strawman you seem to think is posting here

I'm sorry, but I simply cannot condone the indiscriminate Palestinian violence against Israeli civilians, many of whom have done nothing wrong (and it would still be wrong to harm them if they did anything, as they are civilians!). I'll have you know that there are goons posting in this very thread that are under direct threat from Hamas-led violence and to condone that violence in any way is to wish harm upon our fellow goons and is completely against the rules in D&D and Something Awful in general. If your stance is that Palestinian violence against the Israelis that have brutally oppressed, tortured, maimed, murdered, raped, stolen from, debased, shamed, humiliated, mocked, and otherwise devastated them for generations is in any way inevitable, understandable, or -- heaven forfend -- justified I must disagree in the strongest possible terms

Pentecoastal Elites
Feb 27, 2007

Mooseontheloose posted:

I tend to stay out of I/P discussions so forgiveness going forward. Seemingly, all the news foreign policy wise coming from SA, Israel, and The United States was that they were getting close to some sort of agreement to move a peace process forward and I, maybe naively, assumed that the Palestinian's were communicating to someone in these talks. An action like this basically sets back any peace agreement for years? decades? I just don't understand the play here.

I am not a big fan of Netanyahu's, don't get me wrong, and I think the US has been footing a lot of ill will because of their actions and there had been some progress within the Democratic party to at least have the conversation about our relationship with a more oppressive and aggressive Israel but someone had to know that this would unite a lot of western powers back to Israel? Biden and Iran had been softening relations too and who knows how that plays out.

Hear, hear! I cannot understand why the Palestinians would so grievously sabotage the road to peace. I have no doubt that the vast majority of Palestinians, perhaps all of them, would be excited to flourish under an Israeli government that recognized their hardships. Now they've gone and not just upset the process, but soured international relations against them and driven the US even further into bonhomie with the right-wing Netanyahu government. For a people that claim to want peace, this plan of action is just mind-boggling!
My only thought is that the craven terrorists of Hamas are so desperate for power (against the wishes of the majority of Palestinians, no doubt) that they have struck at this moment to intentionally derail talks with Israel and the United States of America. I just hope that the Israeli government, conservative as they are, can still overlook this admittedly major setback and resume peace talks post haste. They've already established safe zones for law-abiding Palestinians as they begin their retaliatory strikes against Hamas-infested civilian infrastructure, so I don't believe my hope is too farfetched.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Pentecoastal Elites
Feb 27, 2007

zer0spunk posted:

There's a 0 chance they don't run a ground invasion in gaza on sunday, so all you bloodlust weirdoes, this is what this repeating cycle begets :negative:

I'm still in awe of all the people saying hamas committing war crimes is needed to be seen as a serious candidate in two-state negotiations. they famously won't negotiate that avenue because they don't recognize israel at all, you might be thinking of the PA who at least does

Absolutely agreed, Hamas fully understood that the globally-recognized, (unfortunately, perhaps!) legitimate Israeli government would retaliate with more and greater violence, and still committed those acts of terror. They are fully responsible for instigating yet another cycle of hideous violence, and frankly the responsibility for any Palestinian death that occurs in the hours, days, weeks, months, and years to come as a response towards to what happened today rests squarely on their (and other violent Palestinian groups') shoulders.

e:
Exactly. They understood what would happen yet saw fit to begin anew the cycle of violence. Absolutely shameful.
VVVV

Pentecoastal Elites fucked around with this message at 04:10 on Oct 8, 2023

Pentecoastal Elites
Feb 27, 2007

If you do want to calculate the correct amount of finger-wagging to level at HAMAS you should understand that, like America and 9/11, blame for the deaths of the settlers and ravers lies ultimately with the apartheid Zionist entity and its abettors in the west. They created the political environment that gave rise to (necessitated, really) HAMAS as well as political and material support, albeit in roundabout or clandestine ways. No doubt that some fraction of blame lies with the actual persons that pulled the triggers, but attempting to determine and assign that blame seems -- even if we weren't on the 22nd day of an ongoing genocide against the people of Palestine -- seems like a waste of time. Now, particularly, it seems absolutely ghoulish. So much so that, in my estimation, still continuing to argue about it would be at cross-purposes with any goal except to try to distract and confuse on the behalf of the apartheid regime as amateur (?) propagandists. Just my opinion, though!

For me, personally, I can not bring myself to condemn the HAMAS freedom fighters, even if I were to disagree with their methods, considering they are Palestine's only means of striking back against the depraved fascists that build and operate their concentration camp.

Pentecoastal Elites
Feb 27, 2007

BrutalistMcDonalds posted:

A group of people slaughter hundreds of other people at a dance party. Why? Because they're "Jews" or "settlers" or "Zionists," the "thinking" goes. And we, the "Palestinians" or "Arabs" or "Muslims," are oppressed by them. The "Jews" are responsible. We kill them. The Israeli response then says "the Palestinians" have "only themselves to blame" for allowing themselves to be ruled by Hamas, and behaving as though two million people in Gaza or all Palestinians are responsible, which is a form of "thinking" that they know to be at the center of anti-Semitism too and an illegitimate justification for wide-scale violence which Israel is now engaged in. And even if I was on the other side of the world when the whole thing happened, any disagreement with the underlying moral ontology can only be to stand in solidarity with and further the annihilation of the other depending on who's responding. But I hope you'll admit that the racism and nationalism of the last couple of centuries haven't really been that wonderful, that millions of people have perished in ethnic cleansings as a result, and that the most evil ideologies lean on it.

This is not a racial conflict, but it is a racialized conflict due to Zionism's fundamental nature as a Jewish-supremacist ethnostate project. The ideological driver of HAMAS is certainly racist to some extent, but this is again directly due to the Zionist apartheid entity and its abettors in the west: the oppressors of Palestine are Jewish supremacists engaged in an explicitly racial project that specifically dehumanizes and slaughters Palestinians. The sort of racial animus you call attention to is intentionally cultivated by the Zionist entity to provide ideological cover for their apartheid, and to destabilize and endanger Jews around the world to promote their fascist ethnostate as the singular place where Jewish people might feel safe and protected. The dismantling of the said ethnostate can and will redound to reduced antisemitism and improved Jewish-Muslim relationships around the world. I reject the (seeming, to me anyway) implication of your argument that this conflict is one of ancient and maybe intractable racisms, when that is clearly not the case: Jews and Muslims are perfectly capable of living together, and in many cases in share a special solidarity between their communities, especially within Christian-majority areas in Europe and the middle east. I will note that this sort of interethnic/interfaith co-mingling is something that the Zionist entity fights against.

Again, ultimate blame for October 7th can and should be laid at the feet of the apartheid Zionist entity creating and maintaining the conditions, both directly and indirectly, for the rise of HAMAS and the attacks they carried out, in the exact same way that the actions of America in the middle east since the end of the second world war created and maintained the conditions for the September 11th attacks, the rise of Wahhabism, the violent jihadi groups that gained power in the power vacuums created by American imperial misadventure, etc. etc.

You may (not you specifically, per se) agree with the ends: the defeat of the Soviet Union (in America's case) and the establishment of a settler-colonialist ethnostate (in the Zionist entity's case), but in either case you must also accept that you can't get there in a contextless vacuum. No group of human beings will allow themselves to be slaughtered forever without trying to fight back, especially not for a racial-supremacist fascist project.

e: I've written Jewish-supremacist but really that's not quite right, the ethnostate is not broadly Jewish-supremacist but instead operating over a definition of what you might call Jewish-whiteness, evident in how poorly the Zionist entity treats eg. African and Asian Jews

Pentecoastal Elites fucked around with this message at 15:44 on Oct 30, 2023

Pentecoastal Elites
Feb 27, 2007

I think I'd overstate the case if I said it was ancient. A few hundred years isn't that long. Or call it the early 19th century, with "the nation" really driving the bus at first. Some of these concepts are viciously problematic, and nationalism has caused world wars. Some of them are in-your-face fictional, like races. I doubt we could really tease out very clearly what an "ethnicity" is, but the ethnicities seem to be bottom-line social categories or fictions that are widely accepted.

I completely agree that concepts about nationality and ethnicity/race are inherently problematic and can drive action in an ideological sense, especially on the individual level, but I reject that anything like nationalism "caused" a world war: the engine of history is the actual, physical material of the world. Like the world wars -- like heretofore all human conflict -- the genocide of Palestine is motivated by wealth and power, the literal, physical control of the means of production. The "power" that concepts like race have is a phantom; it's epiphenomenal to material power structures. If the Zionist entity were to disappear tomorrow and the Palestinians free to live their lives without fear of genocide, omnipresent racialized violence, theft and destruction of their lives and livelihood, dehumanization and humiliation, etc., the race-based hatreds between Muslims and Jews would also dissolve, over time.

Pentecoastal Elites
Feb 27, 2007

I more or less agree with you. Marx and Engels asserted that the human symbolic order is ultimately a result of the material conditions in which people live, but I'd caution against a square economic reduction in which material power structures are the only determining element and if we just change that then history will just do the work for us. It just happened that they emphasized the economic side at a time when few people were doing that and didn't have the time to give the other element their due. Gramsci tried to re-balance the base/superstructure model, thinking that the order of material production and the order of symbols interacted historically in complex ways, and such thoughts were later extrapolated on by the Frankfurt School. In other words, ideology matters, and while these concepts like "race" and "religion" are ultimately nonsense the social organization they attach themselves to are not.

Anti-Semitism too can function as like a warped version of socialism. I wouldn't call it socialist but it holds that Jews are oppressors who are hiding in the mountains hoarding all the gold. So we kill them and take their gold. It's like a monster hunt. Anger about the imagined power of Jewish capital, as well as fears of treason and racial degeneration, made anti-Semitism a convenient banner behind which social and political factions could fall in line. Anti-Semitic feelings that simmer for decades can come boiling to the surface.

But one of the benefits of making the social relations around wealth the focus is that you can redistribute the wealth without necessarily taking someone's life.

Concerning ideology, one of the gross things I've seen is how Israel is taken by its supporters to be a "Jewish issue," but the comparisons between Israel and Nazi Germany end up reproducing the same logic. The people who do that seem highly opportunistic. It's not like Israel doesn't inflict violent collective punishment on people, but the "unity" between these two things -- while existing in a field of tension -- help sustain the other. I remember an image of a man holding up a portrait of a swastika on his phone at a rally in New York, and I'd reckon he was probably doing that to troll the pro-Israel side, like "this is what you are" and then showing them the swastika to call them the new Nazis. Of course this is all over the New York Post and the Jewish press to frighten their readers into thinking anyone who waves a Palestinian flag around are Nazis who want to wipe them out. And that has an effect.

I don't think concepts like race or nation have no power -- they certainly have motivating power, just that they are transient (on the macro scale) and epiphenomenal. I would not call antisemitism "socialist", even though I understand your example, because socialism isn't strictly about wealth distribution.

The rise of virulent antisemitism in Europe is an excellent example of the base material conditions creating the, as you note, cultural superstructure: Jews, being a people without a nation and ostracized throughout most of Europe could often only find work in places and fields others refused, one of those fields being banking. As the rise of capitalism exploited and dehumanized more and more of the now-laboring class of Europe, blame for the new system was displaced on to the Jews, whose relationship with banking made them a visible target for a people wholly new to the depredations of capital. This antisemitism persists through to the current day specifically because it reifies the capitalist power structure by creating a false consciousness of shadowy elites organizing some kind of Jewish world order -- antisemitism that the Zionist entity is fully happy to cater to, obvious in how profoundly nasty and stupid their external propaganda is, because it too reifies their positions of power and access to material wealth.

I think antisemitism stuck as a mode of racial-worldview-thought (for lack of a better term) because the statelessness of the Jews gave them a permanent outsider status, and is why they're so associated with banking and capital in comparison to the other groups that were also heavily involved with wealth management and distribution in the early stages of capital, the Catholic church especially. In a different world, a Jewish state that existed in some sort of harmony -- or at least homeostasis -- with its neighbors could have, I think, largely dissolved modern antisemitism by exposing the contradictions within antisemitic thought. But, again, antisemitism is useful to the Zionist entity, and so if we have an interest in destroying antisemitism, the dissolution of the apartheid Zionist ethnostate project is of utmost importance.

Pentecoastal Elites
Feb 27, 2007

Main Paineframe posted:

I think this might be mixing up cause and effect here. It's not that people grew to hate and reject Jews because Jews were pushed into unwanted jobs like banking - it's that Jews were pushed into unwanted jobs like banking because they were hated and rejected. Turning around and using that involvement in banking to explain the antisemitism doesn't really work, because widespread and virulent antisemitism is what forced them into banking in the first place. Legal and social restrictions made it difficult for them to enter fields where they might be able to own the means of production; they were often barred from owning land and heavily discriminated against by craft guilds.

Virulent antisemitism in Europe substantially predates capitalism. In the Middle Ages it was outwardly a primarily religious hatred, which shifted to racial hatred in the Enlightenment era due to secularization and the rise of modern concepts of national identities. In both cases, it was usually little more than simple hatred of cultural outsiders who refused to assimilate; while modern concepts of racism and national identity don't really predate the early modern era, distrust of and ostracization of cultural outsiders is something that goes back millennia. This also applies to groups like the Roma, who faced similar treatment despite not having any particular involvement with banking.

I was trying to explain the stickniness of antisemitism into the modern day, but you're right in that antisemitism certainly existed before the advent of capitalism, though I would argue that it was not yet the basis of a racial worldview that it would become as capital developed across Europe.
I would further point out the material basis for precapital antisemitism arising from Rome itself and its relationship to, and exploitation of, the Jews. But at this point I think I'm veering out of the focus of this thread

Pentecoastal Elites fucked around with this message at 19:21 on Oct 30, 2023

Pentecoastal Elites
Feb 27, 2007

it is breathtakingly naive to rely on the propaganda of an apartheid ethnostate currently engaged in a genocide to inform you what and where the hamas tunnels and "command centers" are, much less that the occupying force currently engaged in genocidal slaughter is "protecting" the people they're currently, actively killing from their own countrymen. I think if you want to participate in this discussion in good faith you need to come with more substantial evidence than "one of the belligerents in this conflict says so"

Pentecoastal Elites
Feb 27, 2007

DeadlyMuffin posted:

You can go back and read the BBC article. I found it convincing. If you don't think so, you can go ahead and wait. The BBC article cites a video from Hamas, not just Israeli sources.

I also don't think that sexual assault in a conflict like this is particularly surprising, so I see the reflexive denial and in criticism of sources that look valid to me as people putting on blinders because it's the side they support.

The "Hamas video" cited is something that no one has access to except for israeli officials who have, we are told, shown it to a number of journalists. Who knows what that video contains, or even what israelis purport it contains other than "Hamas doing atrocities".

The reason you're getting pushback and people are assuming you (and others) are supporting israel even though you maintain that you've not made any posts explicitly in support of israel or their genocidal campaign is because of the (frankly astounding) trust you have in reportage from or citing israeli sources despite the IDF and israeli government lying constantly about everything and anything. We have seen over and over and over and over the IDF, israeli government, and related individuals and organizations issue completely bald-faced lies being for entirely propagandistic purposes until they're quietly walked back weeks after they're no longer useful. Anything coming from an israeli source -- even if the piece is in the BBC or Washington Post, etc -- should be regarded, at the very least, as extremely suspect.

The fact is that no one, not a single person, who is not operating on behalf of the israeli government can present any evidence that Hamas engaged in any sexual assault, let alone roving rape gangs. This will continue to be the case until israel releases the evidence they purport to have, or, allows for independent investigations -- both of which they have so far rejected.

Pentecoastal Elites
Feb 27, 2007

Kalit posted:

This doesn’t even say what you’re claiming. It says some victims killed were babies and some victims were decapitated. It doesn’t say that any babies were decapitated.

they can't say it again because now that the israeli government is walking away from that particular lie it'll catch more significant blowback if they try to publish it. They can, however, strongly insinuate it based on what they choose to quote and how they choose to frame the quotation.

quote:

Mr Ben Zion said Hamas gunmen who killed families, including babies, were "just a jihad machine to kill everybody, [people] without weapons, without nothing, just normal citizens that want to take their breakfast and that's all."

Some of the victims, he said, were decapitated.

"They killed them and cut some of their heads, it's a dreadful thing to see… and we must remember who is the enemy, and what our mission is, [for] justice where there is a right side and all the world needs to be behind us."

Note how Ben Zion did not say that Hamas decapitated babies, he said that "they killed them and cut off their heads". The BBC writer frames the first part of the quote with "...including babies" and "...were decapitated". The BBC, which happily serves as a mouthpiece for israeli propaganda, is continuing to insinuate the "40 beheaded babies" lie, even if they can no longer do it explicitly.

DeadlyMuffin posted:

The BBC is neither Israel nor Hamas. They are independent enough for me.

As has been explained to you many times, the BBC is not confirming anything. They make clear that their sources are israelis and israeli-approved journalists who have seen the video and/or purported "evidence". They make it very clear that they cannot independently confirm the evidence or the contents of the video.

Pentecoastal Elites
Feb 27, 2007

^^^
they have written it that way so that people who want to defend israel and excuse israeli lies can make exactly your argument to do so

to whoever gave me my disgusting custom title: the israeli government -- an entity that uses regularly rape and sexual assault to injure and humiliate its captive population of people who they consider to be racially inferior -- is using these purported rapes/rape gangs to justify an ongoing genocide

DeadlyMuffin posted:

If you think I have, go find those posts. I haven't. I've called what they are doing genocide, because it is.

You are attacking me for a position I do not hold.

I did not say you made those posts. Please read what I've actually written instead of the post you imagine I'm writing.

Pentecoastal Elites fucked around with this message at 18:42 on Dec 8, 2023

Pentecoastal Elites
Feb 27, 2007

Kalit posted:

This line you just stated is an inference that I am defending Israel and excusing their lies. Notice how this reads versus the lines in the BBC article?

If the BBC article wanted to infer it, they would have wrote something like "Among the dead, which included babies, [gross/explicit thing about decapitations]"

the way the article is worded will allow you to make this argument indefinitely and we should drop it on the grounds that if you don't want to see the inference they have given you the rhetorical tools to make it so that you never have to. this is not a fruitful avenue of discussion and we should not continue it.

Pentecoastal Elites
Feb 27, 2007

Serotoning posted:

I hope that you and others in this thread apply the same rabid skepticism to Hamas and Hamas-aligned Palestine. War propaganda can be expected (and very likely has occurred) on both sides of this and possibly every large scale conflict ever.

I have no need to treat Palestinian claims with any skepticism, because there is more direct firsthand evidence and testimony of the cruelty and depravity of the zionist apartheid regime and its ongoing genocide that I could examine in a lifetime. israel is currently engaged in a unflinching genocidal slaughter against a people they consider racially inferior, and I can know this by the testimony of Palestinians, the horrific images of death, destruction, and mutilation coming out of Palestine, and indeed even the statements of the israelis who are executing this genocide as well as the official statements their monstrous apartheid regime vomits forth.

israel, on the other hand, has been lying constantly and consistently since October 7th (and long, long before as well). all of their lies, every single one, has been in the service of strengthening and generating support for their apartheid system and ethnic cleansing of the Palestinians. The israelis have lied about beheaded babies, fabricated intercepted communications, lied about hospital command centers, etc. etc. etc, all in service of their campaign of genocide. Now they're telling me about how Hamas has rape gangs, trust us, for real, no nobody can look into it but we promise its true -- again for the same exact reason they have been lying from the beginning: to justify the genocide they're committing.

Pentecoastal Elites
Feb 27, 2007

DeadlyMuffin posted:

This is nonsensical word gaming.

You said "you maintain that you've not made any posts explicitly in support of israel or their genocidal campaign"

I do maintain that, because it's true. Which is why I said "If you think I have, go find those posts."

I said that, because "you maintain" implies distrust. I am saying that if you don't believe me, go ahead and look.

Now you're coming back with "I did not say you made those posts".

You certainly implied it.

I'm sorry if you understood it that way but that is not what I meant and I thought the way I worded it was very clear. You and I both seem to agree that it is a position you maintain! I am not talking about specific posts which you and I agree don't exist, I am talking specifically about you getting pushback even though you have not made posts here that denote explicit approval of israel or its actions. I am talking about how you and other posters here post stuff like "show me where I've made a post saying israel is good", which is to say, maintaining a position that you do not support israel because you have not made posts that say you do, and so therefore you get confused/upset/etc when people respond as if you have.

my point, in that post, was that it is happening because you seem to have -- or at least make posts that evince -- an implicit trust of israel sources, at least if they're laundered through eg. the BBC

Pentecoastal Elites
Feb 27, 2007

DeadlyMuffin posted:

No. That's a misreading of my position. When the BBC says "videos filmed by Hamas" I am taking them at their word.

You and some of the other posters in this thread seem to be reading it as something closer to "videos that the BBC acquired from the IDF propaganda department which they say were filmed by Hamas".

Maybe rather than try and puzzle out some implied meaning, ask a question, like "do you implicitly trust Israeli sources?" because the answer is a resounding "no" and it would've saved you a lot of keystrokes.

Did you read the article? Because the only footage "filmed by Hamas" (according to whom is never mentioned, presumedly the IDF) shows zero evidence of rape. The vast majority of the article is by one unnamed israeli eyewitness (only footage of this testimony was shown to unspecified "jorunalists") and several IDF and israeli officials offering extremely lurid statements that -- the author of the article makes sure to point out -- have not been verified by the BBC and even is doubted amongst israeli media. Statements that sound, I'm sorry, like all the other israeli lies that have been propagated in attempts to justify their genocide. You claim to not implicitly trust israeli sources, and maybe you wouldn't if it came from TOI or JPost, but apparently when laundered through the BBC that's enough. Because, unless I have very seriously misread the article, and we take the BBC and their description of the videos they saw and their source as 100% truthful and accurate, it does not constitute evidence of supposed rapes that are, I must stress this again, being used as an excuse to engage in genocide.

Pentecoastal Elites
Feb 27, 2007

DeadlyMuffin posted:

I'm not sure if you're trying to split a hair on "evidence of rape" vs. sexual assault, but yes, I read the article.

Here's the paragraph I am referring to.

There is also this one:

The article also cites accounts from volunteer organizations collecting bodies, with the caveat that the BBC was not been able to independently verify them.

I do not think the assumption that the BBC's sources are entirely the Israeli government, or even that they are entirely Israeli at all is a valid one.

The article would be worth a read yourself.

There is, again zero evidence of rape or sexual assault outside of israeli sources and what the article's author says "suggests" it. The only item of ostensible "evidence" in that article that does not come from an israeli source is the "Hamas video" we (afaik) know nothing about, that, by the author's own admission, does not actually show any rape or sexual assault.

Even if everything everyone in this article said was 100% true, it still would not justify the ongoing genocide the zionists are currently carrying out. However, the complete lack of evidence and the constant, consistent, well-documented history of israeli lies and propaganda points to this all being complete and utter bullshit, even if the BBC sees fit to print it. The smart, moral, and consistent thing to is to regard it as a complete fabrication until israel shares real evidence or allows an independent investigation (which it has already forbidden).

Pentecoastal Elites
Feb 27, 2007

The problem with the "crimes of hamas" is the same problem as the supposed mass raping at the hands of crazed hamas terrorists: the only "evidence" we have for everything that can't be independently verified comes from the genocidal apartheid terror state that has been constantly lying about everything and forbids independent investigation. 40 beheaded babies, babies baked in ovens, hospital command centers, terrorist ambulances, intercepted evildoer cellphone conversations, etc etc etc are all shown to be complete fabrications that are quietly walked back when they stop working or are shown to be lies. If you want to be especially upset that they kidnapped the baby, by all means, but if the testimony of the mother of the recently released child is anything to go off of it seems that they might just try to teach the baby some table manners. If they're not killed by israel's indiscriminate genocidal bombing campaign, that is.

Pentecoastal Elites
Feb 27, 2007

DeadlyMuffin posted:

Who is saying that it does? I'm certainly not, so why bring this up?

We can argue back and forth about what's a valid source or "direct evidence" or how much we trust the BBC, or what about the videos suggests sexual assault vs actually showing sexual assault but I think the part of your post that I've quoted above really indicates that that's not what you're actually arguing against.

You paint your stance as the moral one, but I don't think so. I think you're willing to excuse or explain away crimes by the side that is overall in the right.

It's no different from an American denying that Japanese soldiers were mutilated for war trophies or that there was widespread rape by Allied armies in WW2. Pointing out those things and saying that they were wrong doesn't mean that those soldiers were on the wrong side of the war.

So, intentionally or not, when you are bringing up the fact that Israel is committing genocide in this discussion you're attacking a strawman. I agree. They are commiting genocide.

With statements like this I have a hard time believing you'd care about sexual assault by Hamas fighters given any amount of evidence.

I'm not saying you say it does, I'm making a point about how the genocide is not and can not be forgiven even if the israelis here turn out to be 100% truthful, but that this case is almost certainly the same as everything israel has put out: a complete fabrication to excuse their behavior. That my position on the genocide not being contingent on the truthfulness of the israelis is an important statement for me to make, in my opinion!

At any rate the rest of your post isn't really relevant to our conversation here but my entire point that there isn't "any amount of evidence". There's zero.

Kchama posted:

Hamas has admitted to kidnapping the baby. Are we to disbelieve them? I am utterly against Israel and their lies, but just because I am on Palestine’s side doesn’t mean that I won’t ignore it when they commit misdeeds too.

I'm not saying Hamas didn't kidnap the baby. I don't want nor am I able to stop you from finger-wagging that as much as you see fit, I'm saying that based on what we have heard from the released hostages that by far the greatest harm that might befall the baby, or any hostage, is coming from israel, not Hamas. If you don't know what I'm referring to, the mother of the young girl that was released recently sat down for an interview with israeli news media and the horrifying testimony she gave was that her daughter returned with improved politeness and the Arabic term for "shut up".

Pentecoastal Elites
Feb 27, 2007

Kalit posted:

Do you live in a country with stolen land where your race is different than those who are native to the land? If so, would you be chill with your family getting abducted/held hostage?

If not, try to put yourself in someone’s shoes who was born somewhere and is just trying to exist. That’s what a lot of people do in a number of countries in the world, including where I live (US). And I don’t think that they should be abducted/held hostage for it

As much as I'm sure we all hate the United $nake$ of Amerikkka, israel's relationship to Palestine very different from Americans living on indigenous land. I can talk all day about the evil that saturates America's foundation -- but -- to the best of my knowledge the US government is not currently indiscriminately bombing a walled-off Cherokee concentration camp of millions of people, nor does it have an apartheid system built to subjugate, specifically, indigenous Americans. America has not bussed in white New Englanders to literally steal homes and property from native indigenous tribes not just in living memory, but in recent months.

If that were the case, and myself and my family was abducted because we had recently stolen a house held for generations by an indigenous American family and they were trying to get some sort of leverage or bargaining chip to forestall their ethnic cleansing, I might not be having a good time, but I'd have to admit that they've got a point.

It's a shame that anyone has to get taken hostage, sure, but israeli settlers are not just "people who live in israel", they are a weapon of the depraved, genocidal zionist entity that is used as a tool for ethnic cleansing. That children and babies get caught up in it is a tragedy, but the ultimate responsibility for what happens to them lies with their parents and the psychopathic government that establishes these settlements.

Also, thanks to whoever got mad enough to give me a custom title. I stand by that statement 100%.

Pentecoastal Elites
Feb 27, 2007

Chotiner has a normal (not Chotiner-kicks-this-dummy's-rear end) interview with the "director of ethics and policy at Physicians for Human Rights Israel" who contributed to a position paper by that group describing sexual violence on Oct 7 as widespread and demanding further investigation - not taking any position on whether it was systemic. Most of the interview is about what can and can't be known at this point (or ever). Obviously the interview contains very upsetting descriptions of sexual violence - none in the below quote though.

This is the same as the other articles posted here in that the is no evidence here whatsoever beyond what the israeli government puts out and whatever this particular person saw on telegram, which from the interview look like the already public videos that do not show any evidence of sexual assault. This is just somebody regurgitating the exact same lurid israeli government lines to the New Yorker. She even admits that she and her organization have not interviewed any victims or even eyewitnesses.

Pentecoastal Elites
Feb 27, 2007

Gnumonic posted:

In all seriousness: Do you know any Muslims/Arabs?

I can't point you to a study or survey (and I doubt that one really exists), but anecdotally, the consensus opinion in my wife's family group chat (they're all first or second generation Pakistani immigrants, most of whom have lived in other ME countries before coming to the US) is that the US under Trump would still be the least repressive country most of them have lived in.* They have a completely different frame of reference for oppression than most US born white people at least. E.g. my wife's grandpa, who has been a US citizen for decades, STILL won't say anything negative about the Saudi royal family b/c he was a professor there for a while and one of his colleagues got disappeared for some mild criticism.

Biden denying the casualties in Gaza was the breaking point. To them, it looks like he's explicitly valuing Muslim lives less than others. They view Trump as bad, but not as bad as other governments they've lived under, and certainly not bad enough to justify voting for a guy who (in their view) is openly supporting genocide against people like them.

* Actually they love to joke that Pakistan is the freest country on Earth - if the government's too incompetent to enforce the laws, you're free to do anything you want :P

This aligns with my experience as well. People I've known for a long time who were anywhere from consistent D-voters to people who considered themselves completely apolitical are furious at Biden. Every single Muslim or Arabic person I know identifies with the Palestinian struggle in a way that Democrats didn't broadly see with things like eg. Latino voters and migrants at the border/kids in cages. It feels very different. Who knows if this sentiment will persist until election time or if it'll cause Biden to lose any states, but Biden's zionist sympathies and the Democrats' addiciton to APAIC money is looking more like a massive liability the longer israel continues it's genocidal campaign

Pentecoastal Elites
Feb 27, 2007

Paladinus posted:

According to the IDF, at least 20 out of the 105 confirmed Israeli soldiers killed in Gaza were due to friendly fire and accidents.

https://www.timesofisrael.com/idf-deaths-of-20-out-of-105-soldiers-killed-in-gaza-op-were-friendly-fire-accidents/

Why would they publicly acknowledge such staggering incompetence? I guess, it at least makes the 105 more believable, because if they wanted to cover things up, they would have also tried to cover up the almost comical ineptitude on display in that report.

Reportage on the same statistic from ynet: https://www.ynetnews.com/article/rkjqoobip but also includes the following:

quote:

The new figure of 20 casualties who fell specifically from operational accidents or friendly fire is minimal and doesn’t refer to the first three weeks preceding the ground escalation, regarding the casualties on October 7, nor does it include other fronts.

Casualties fell as a result of friendly fire on October 7, but the IDF believes that beyond the operational investigations of the events, it would not be morally sound to investigate these incidents due to the immense and complex quantity of them that took place in the kibbutzim and southern Israeli communities due to the challenging situations the soldiers were in at the time.

The IDF refusing to investigate these suggests that either the FF incidents on and around 10/7 were staggering -- or that the IDF killed a whole lot of israeli civilians. This isn't a stretch considering the kibbutznik testimony or the interviews of the IDF soldiers giving statements that were basically like "we rolled in and just started blasting". Probably both.

Pentecoastal Elites
Feb 27, 2007

moths posted:

Is anyone independently trying to count these numbers? I feel like you could add up Hamas videos and get more than 105 but I don't have the capacity for that.

Apparently per this Haaretz article: https://www.haaretz.com/israel-news...8e-d52f47ac0000 the IDF are only reporting around 15% of their casualties, based on the discrepancy between the IDF and israeli department of health. Full disclosure I'm basing this off a twitter summary of the article because I don't have a Haaretz account.

Considering that the department of health is another government source I wouldn't be surprised if they're undercounting as well.

Pentecoastal Elites
Feb 27, 2007

CSM posted:

The article talks only about wounded IDF, and the IDF is reporting 34% compared to hospital figures.

Perhaps you shouldn't rely on Twitter summaries.

That's why I made the disclosure, isn't it?

Underreporting by 2/3rds is still completely nuts, and again considering the sources almost certainly another lie. If they're reporting figures this bad the real numbers must be awful.

Pentecoastal Elites
Feb 27, 2007

I'm sorry but it is astoundingly naive to believe anything coming from any israeli source at this point. They have lied constantly and consistently about everything, and no one should have any reason to trust anything coming from any israeli source that's not independently verified.

Pentecoastal Elites
Feb 27, 2007

DeadlyMuffin posted:

You do realize that *you* posted the Israeli source, right?

Then someone pointed out an issue with your summary, and now you're attacking the validity of anything coming from any Israeli source.

Seems backwards to me.

I genuinely wish you'd try to engage with what I am writing than try to own me with facts and logic. I don't think I've posted anything strange or contradictory here. Coming from my position of "no israeli source is trustworthy", which I think I've made very clear is my honestly held opinion, I still believe that -- even if everyone is lying! -- we can glean some pretty shocking information in the discrepancies between two figures coming from official sources.
The difference between 15% and 33% doesn't refute my argument. That's still a huge number undercounted! My argument to Kagrenak is that I think it's naive to think that Harretz or the israeli health ministry is publishing accurate numbers because they'll catch just as much heat for the real numbers. I think few sources in israel have access to the real numbers and that multiple elements of the israeli state apparatus are denying, hiding, or slow-walking figures for propagandistic (domestic or external) ends, but outside of the actual government and IDF coordination is necessarily limited. That point isn't constrained because it's coming from israeli sources -- it depends on it!

I am posting earnestly in this thread with my real and actual opinions and thoughts on the matter. I'm not trying to do some sort of weird troll thing to rile you up specifically. Even if I have commented on this thread elsewhere I promise you I am not posting in it (nor have I ever done so) to evoke reactions that I could quote in CSPAM or discord or wherever. I'm posting things I actually believe, and even though my first posts in this thread were sarcastic they were in service of points that I honestly believe.

e:
There's no moral point here, moths was wondering about IDF casualty numbers
VVV

Pentecoastal Elites fucked around with this message at 19:05 on Dec 14, 2023

Pentecoastal Elites
Feb 27, 2007

Irony Be My Shield posted:

Israel did actually take 9 fatalities in a single incident this week, so that may be a rare example of Hamas telling the truth.
https://www.theguardian.com/world/2023/dec/13/gaza-israel-soldiers-killed-hamas-ambush
With that said it's true that Hamas tells a lot of absurd and desperate lies when it comes to killing IDF soldiers, probably because they need to keep their fighters motivated in spite of their very weak results. cf this no evidence claim of 60 kills in a single incident (that as far as I can tell never happened in any capacity whatsoever).

This is, again, a bizarre expression of implicit trust in israeli sources while discounting anything else. Hamas rarely tells the truth, they tell a lot of absurd and desperate lies, there's no evidence of claims -- where are the counterclaims coming from? israel? We've already demonstrated how israel lies constantly, about everything, including within their own propagandistic apparatus. Where are even the casualty discrepancies between the IDF and the israeli health ministry coming from? Surely they can't all be friendly fire incidents?

Pentecoastal Elites
Feb 27, 2007

Main Paineframe posted:

Did they ever actually present civilians as "captured Hamas fighters"? Several Twitter accounts certainly accused them of doing so, but when I checked their claims, I didn't find any evidence of that. Official Israeli sources stated only that they had captured military-aged males in an area that was supposed to have been evacuated, and they would be investigating and interrogating the captured men to determine whether any of them were affiliated with Hamas. I was not able to find Israeli authorities claiming those captured civilians as confirmed Hamas members.

Are you talking about the guys they stripped and forced to "surrender" and hand over their prop guns while they shot propaganda photos? Because releasing these photos right after Nethanyahu started making statements that "dozens of militants are surrendering" is getting into some real strange territory here. Or are you only referencing this article: https://www.wsj.com/world/middle-east/israel-says-groups-of-hamas-militants-surrendered-amid-gaza-fighting-7891bc22 which repeats in its opening lines that israel claims that many of the men who are being detained are surrendering Hamas fighters?

Pentecoastal Elites
Feb 27, 2007

Main Paineframe posted:

If we want to know what the Israeli government is actually saying about the people they're capturing in Gaza, the actual direct quotes from actual Israeli government officials speaking on-the-record using their real names are probably the actually important part of that article.

This WSJ article isn't great for reading the official Israeli messaging on those captives, though, because it's not spending very much time on official mouthpieces, preferring instead to spend its time looking for other sources and anonymous sources. Which is fine, and in general a diversity of sources is a good thing! But when we're talking specifically about the Israeli government's official claims, we do kind of need to focus on info coming from the Israeli government. This AP article covers it in slightly more detail

https://apnews.com/article/israel-hamas-war-news-12-8-2023-364b8f23ced3704273faede6f2ca6f38

Whether or not they're telling the truth with that particular claim, it doesn't much look like they're presenting civilians as "captured Hamas fighters" here. Rather, it looks like they're rounding up and interrogating all military-aged men in their self-proclaimed evacuation zone in a heavy-handed sweep for any potential Hamas members, and not really trying to cover it up with lies about them being confirmed fighters.

I don't understand why we have to months (decades) into this still play the game where we pretend there's some sort of useful understanding to be gleaned from what the israeli government is saying, much less the textual specifics, beyond maybe "how big of a lie is this?". israel has the most sophisticated, in a sense, propaganda apparatus in in world. Social media, traditional media, the actual person of Bibi Netanyahu, keep saying "we're capturing Hamas fighters. Militants are surrendering. They're losing, we're winning, they're giving up. Total victory is right around the corner". Now they release images of ~somebody~ "surrendering" (wink!) -- a war crime, by the way -- and they have their people hedge a little bit for western audiences in saying that "oh these are just Military Aged Males that were being suspiciously Hamas-like in this Hamas area while we waged our War On Hamas™".
Probably because they are finally starting to understand that hasbara is less effective when they can't make your exact argument over semantics and technicalities.

Please note I am not saying you are wrong, I am saying your gormless take is completely without merit or utility. Unless you dispute that propaganda is a thing that exists you should understand that no one is going to tell you that they are doing propaganda, and that propaganda is far more complex and nuanced than a series of atomic, self-contained falsehoods coming from a single government body.

Pentecoastal Elites
Feb 27, 2007

It's very odd that when it's the Irish expressing solidarity it's because of their admirable leadership and noble culture, but when the Houthis do they're rabid Islamists opportunistically leveraging a genocide to excuse their misdeeds.
Anyway, regardless of what vile evil lurks in the black heart of the dreaded Houthi miscreant, PostNoveau is right:

PostNouveau posted:

Aside from the morality of it, it's interesting how effective this seemed to be. Half the ship traffic had to take the long way, and suddenly Israel is talking ceasefire for hostages and meeting with Hamas officials again.

The Houthis are the only people on the planet whose actions seem to be meaningfully threatening the zionists' genocidal campaign.

Pentecoastal Elites
Feb 27, 2007

It's incorrect to draw equivalence between a culture like the Irish and a political movement like the Houthis. The IRA was full of cynical opportunists, so is Sinn Fein.

Where do cultural sympathies arise from? Impossible to know, probably.

Kagrenak posted:

Their slogan literally includes the phrase "a curse on the Jews." Get back to me with this line of thought when the Irish call for a genocide against the English in their motto.

huh! hey, is this genocide of Jews by Houthis occurring anywhere but your imagination? I ask because there is an actual, honest-to-god, for-real genocide of Palestinians by israel happening right now in the real world.

Pentecoastal Elites
Feb 27, 2007

Caros posted:

Just so you know, that specific bit of reporting from Blumenthal has been Widely discredited. .

A hung e number of the 'primary sources' in that article are Haaretz and they came out publicly to tell him to go gently caress himself for being such a liar about their reporting.

Widely discredited by israel, though.
Considering the constant israeli lies, especially about this particular subject, and the "outrage" they exhibit over this reporting, not to mention the subsequent reports, pictures and video, and testimony that has come out since this article about israeli tanks rolling into and shelling the kibbutzes really seem to suggest that the liar(s) here is not Blumenthal

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pentecoastal Elites
Feb 27, 2007

gurragadon posted:

I think the list on the BDS website doesn't list enough companies or needs to be targeted more based on region to be effective. If they have longer lists on the website for economic boycotts, I can't find them, and they seem to be too focused on boycotting in a narrow way.

BDS is targeted the way it is in an attempt to cause maximum impact despite the relatively low level of support for the Palestinian cause amongst buyers of israeli goods. We might see the BDS list expand in the near future as sentiment continues to turn.