Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ornedan
Nov 4, 2009

Cybernetic Crumb

Larry Parrish posted:

I don't think a lot of people realize that if you face-cast Spark, all of the projectiles hit the target directly in front of you. So it's a really good melee-range single-target spell too. Obviously not good if you skimped on ES or +life/armor or whatever. But it's not the worst AoE spell ever if you try to use it single target. Not to mention it's a character level one spell so if you're like me and prefer to level with your actual build instead of respecing into a new one once you get enough XP, that's an option.

It used to, but then shotgunning got removed.

e: beaten long ago

Ornedan fucked around with this message at 21:16 on Dec 9, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ornedan
Nov 4, 2009

Cybernetic Crumb

nightwisher posted:

If I use three dragons helm to make the lightning damage from shock nova freeze instead, what does the built-in shock chance base it's duration off, and does it still shock?

I'm thinking crit shock nova with fcr/aoe/lit.pen/echo, herald of ice/thunder, aurified ele weakness and rear end mark, EB + ZO with an Arc + LL/echo/lit.pen for ES regen against curse immune mobs. I have no plan for reflect other than use a topaz flask and div distillate with flask effect nodes to get 93% lit resist. This is probably where it will fall apart.

edit: Wait, my math was wrong, I can hit 96% lit resist ideally. Will that be enough to mitigate reflect enough?

Three Dragons only rotates the element <-> status effect relation by one step. Chance To Freeze/Ignite/Shock still do precisely what their names say, just calculating off a different element.

So your Shock Nova still rolls it's chance to shock whenever it hits, and the duration of that shock is based off however much fire damage the nova does.

Ornedan
Nov 4, 2009

Cybernetic Crumb

Pharnakes posted:

I just found myself an Alpha's Howl, and wondering what colours to put on it. I'm using Neversink's guide and am currently using Hatred and Herald of Ice. I was thinking a red slot for reduced mana and three green for Hatred, Herald of Ice and Haste?

Also if I could get a guild invite next round, Parysatis.

Reduced Mana no longer affects reservations. Enlighten does that role now.

Ornedan
Nov 4, 2009

Cybernetic Crumb
Does anyone know a better path to a one prefix rare (eg. Vagan dagger) than:
  • Start from one prefix & one suffix rare
  • Multimod and craft prefixes can't be changed and some cheapo prefix
  • Scour
  • Uncraft the remaining master prefix

That process costs 4ex + change. Add another 2ex + change to craft the final item with multimod.

Ornedan
Nov 4, 2009

Cybernetic Crumb
ES recharge is a different stat than ES regen (the latter you can get via Zealot's Oath and uniques). So yes it still recharges and you could take those nodes.

Ornedan
Nov 4, 2009

Cybernetic Crumb

regulargonzalez posted:

Didn't get my 7 points from the recent 1 Hour Headhunter event. Hopefully support can fix it. Fun event, my first time trying a Headhunter event. Assuming I get those points awarded, I'm 1/4 of the way to a Whispering Ice :v:

Did you delete your race character before points were awarded?

Ornedan
Nov 4, 2009

Cybernetic Crumb
Nomic's Storms are common and also kinda bad. They're OK for leveling but IMO Wanderlusts are better for that. And any actual > 20% MS boots are better since they won't have the damage taken penalty nor have half the speed disappear in fights.

Cheapest ones listed on TSC are at 1 alt. Cheapest online at time of posting were 2 alts. So practically nothing. I'd expect an alch or two on day 1 of a new league.

If you want to go fast all the time, make a bow build that has a good excuse to grab all the movement speed nodes around Ranger.

Ornedan
Nov 4, 2009

Cybernetic Crumb
Why would you not get Clever Construction? I did just fine trapping my way through the arctic Malachai race. I got CC in early act 4, in time for the cycloning mini-bosses in Daresso's branch.

Ornedan
Nov 4, 2009

Cybernetic Crumb

Mortimer posted:

Are blue vagan daggers with "hits cannot be evaded" actually worth dozens of chaos

That mod is amazing for Cast on Crit. Depends on which dagger base it is, but potentially yes. Faster bases are generally worth more (Stiletto and Skean lines), but the slower high crit bases have their place too.

Same holds for sceptres and staves. They might not sell for quite as much or as often as daggers, but you can still get some profit.

Ornedan
Nov 4, 2009

Cybernetic Crumb
Does anyone have Tora at level 7+ in Perandus SC? I need a mastecraft removed.

Ornedan
Nov 4, 2009

Cybernetic Crumb
Wearing a Voll's Protector will, on the othe hand, get you power charges that let your skip the Cold Snap cooldown. So it's a totally viable idea spam-wise. You're going to need a high budget, though. Consuming Dark is a bad CoC weapon what with being slow, relatively low base crit and being able to miss. So you're going to need accuracy rolls on gear and that will make covering your resistances that much harder.

Ornedan
Nov 4, 2009

Cybernetic Crumb

Top Bunk Wanker posted:

Hover over your item in-game and hit ctrl-c, open up http://poe.trade click on Import item data, paste into the box which will auto-fill all the fields when you hit Import!, and see what's available on there to price it. If you don't get any results, check all the fields and lower the minimum values until you find something similar.

This is bad advice, don't do that. That feature looks for the exact same stats as the pasted item had, which especially for jewels won't find most of the relevant matches. You need to make a more general search query. In case of that jewel, I'd say something like:
  • has mana leech
  • has three of:
    • IAS
    • IAS and ICS
    • IAS with bows
    • damage
    • projectile damage
    • physical damage
    • physical damage with bows

The big thing differentiating it from a completely generic bow damage jewel being the mana leech. It's potentially enough to sustain fire by itself, which would free up a passive point or a ring/amulet prefix.

Ornedan fucked around with this message at 07:32 on Apr 24, 2016

Ornedan
Nov 4, 2009

Cybernetic Crumb
They're already past the Silverbranch point what with being L18 and having a Roth's Reach. Which is potentially superior to Death's Harp, depending on whether it's an elemental auras or phys conversion based LA build. Roth's Reach is way better for ele what with big WED% and free chain. Death's Harp is OK for phys variant.

Ornedan
Nov 4, 2009

Cybernetic Crumb

TheRat posted:

RIP Mathils sanity

I'm not sure I like nerfing Whirling Blades instead of making the other movement skills better. I did three characters in Peraundus: non-crit trapper, dual-wield EQ and an archer. The first two I used whirling blades on, but the trapper would have been better served by using a sceptre and pre-nerf Leap Slam.

Ornedan fucked around with this message at 07:29 on May 30, 2016

Ornedan
Nov 4, 2009

Cybernetic Crumb

96 spacejam posted:

I only understand a few of those words but I'll start combing the official build forums to piece it together. And not that I'm going to play HC for my first playthrough but is this a glass cannon type build or can I take some hits as a dex/int char? Specifically with the build you laid out

Very few builds in PoE are tanky in the sense that they can safely take more than a couple of hits from (level-appropriate) enemies. The character's passive defences are for dealing with the damage you don't avoid by moving your character out of the way.

The suggested defences were life, with lots of life nodes and evasion. Life nodes meaning passive tree nodes that have a stat "% increased maximum Life". You should aim for at least 180% total increase. And then get items with a base life stat for every slot you can. This should get you comfortably over 5k life.
Evasion gives you a un-randomised roll against enemy accuracy to avoid attacks and to prevent critical hit confirmation from attacks. The exact mechanics can be seen on the wiki (Evasion). You should aim to have 10k+ evasion in your final gear. Base evasion comes almost exclusively from items, and increase % from dexterity and passive nodes.

The recommended start as Shadow is also fairly close to the Acrobatics cluster, which can provide another defensive layer. Dodge and spell dodge are random rolls to completely prevent attack and spell hits, respectively. Note that evasion only works against attacks, so it's a very good idea to get another layer of defence on top of your life pool vs spells. High evasion and dodge also render you very "tanky" against attacks, since you negate most hits.

One layer of defence that was not mentioned earlier is elemental resistances. They are fairly easy to cap at 75%. Aim to have your resistances capped for the Act 4 boss fights in normal. And re-capped as soon as you can in cruel and merciless difficulties. Chaos resistance is less important, but getting it to at least 0% (after merciless penalty) is a good idea.

Ornedan
Nov 4, 2009

Cybernetic Crumb

whypick1 posted:

Malachai's Artifice, and no. I can't think of anything that ring adds to the table that makes up for the resistance hit. Also, the cheapest one is listed at a whopping 3 alts, which should tell you what people think of it.

Non-conversion Ice Trapper. Slap your Orb of Storms in the ring and it'll proc you the mini-EE in addition to Elemental Overload.

Ornedan
Nov 4, 2009

Cybernetic Crumb

Ultima66 posted:

3. The single target boss damage when you don't have Ele Conflux up is pretty weak. A majority of my damage comes from ignite, and if I don't have Elemental Conflux I'm relying on like a 10% chance to naturally ignite things with either a crit or the small chance to ignite I get from passives. If the boss has adds that trigger Conflux consistently though there's no problem. That said, there's not really a good option for Atziri besides maybe using a different skill entirely. The lack of damage from ignite is extra problematic because the safest way to fight tough bosses is to throw out Frostbolt from long range and Vortex on the Frostbolts, which means I'm not even getting the burning damage from RF.

A worm flask might help here. Both for getting conflux up and for proliferating from the worm corpses.

e: You could path into templar start from below instead of from above. That'd trade +10 int for +10 str which is probably of more use to you.

Ornedan fucked around with this message at 11:47 on Jul 21, 2016

Ornedan
Nov 4, 2009

Cybernetic Crumb
Try a bow-based MF culler and Conduit-er? Something like Frenzy + GMP + Chain + PCoC + IIR + Cull / Crit Strikes. Aim for a cull-corrupted Quill Rain and have the links in your chest.

Ornedan
Nov 4, 2009

Cybernetic Crumb
It's a total glass cannon with 95% life and there's no instant life flask. At least it has some defence layering with acrobatics, a few thousand evasion and blasphemied enfeeble. So it's mostly not going to die to random white and blue mobs that can't one-shot, but even there without an instant flask a couple of hits getting past all the avoidance in short succession will kill it.

Ornedan
Nov 4, 2009

Cybernetic Crumb
No such list really exists. A particular high tier roll stat can drag an item's value up if it works together with the other stats on the item and those other stats have better than garbage tier rolls. Multiple high tier rolls that work together are what can make a yellow item very valuable.

For an example, let's consider gloves that have 89 life (maximum possible) as prefix and 7 life regen, 6 mana gain on kill, and 32% reduced attribute requirements as suffixes (also all maximum possible rolls). The life roll is "whoa"-worthy, but the item is vendor trash.
Now if the suffixes are instead 6% fire, cold and lightning resist (worst tier, minroll). Still vendor trash.
Increase the resist rolls to 11% (worst tier, but maxroll) and you might be able to sell those gloves for an alch.
Let's say the base item is Titan Gauntlets. Now you mastercraft increased armour% and you'll have gloves that sell for a couple of chaos.
Alternatively, start with a bit worse base of Goliath Gauntlets and have 90% increased armour, 0.2% life leech, and 50 life for prefixes and 30% fire resist, 30% cold resist, and 20% chaos resist for suffixes. None of those stats alone would make you "whoa" and yet I'd rate such gloves at 30-40c.

Ornedan fucked around with this message at 08:16 on Jul 27, 2016

Ornedan
Nov 4, 2009

Cybernetic Crumb
Chaining is an attribute most projectile skills can have. The base chain count is just usually 0 and thus not listed. Also note that multiple projectiles and chain interact in a way that bypasses shotgun prevetion. The initial projectiles can't shotgun, yes, but every bounced projectile is new and of separate origin as far as shotgunning goes and is allowed to hit the same target. For extra fun, unlike the player support gems, map mod multiprojectile and chain come without a damage penalty.

Ornedan fucked around with this message at 09:54 on Jul 29, 2016

Ornedan
Nov 4, 2009

Cybernetic Crumb
Does the chill from Vortex apply before damage? For the purposes of getting Hypothermia to apply to the initial hit.

Ornedan
Nov 4, 2009

Cybernetic Crumb
Half-way act 3 merciless. Once you do the Solaris quests Dialla lets you into the Eternal Laboratory.

e: as noted ^^^ going in that early might not be the best of ideas, unless you're twinked to the gills on a build that starts working early

Ornedan
Nov 4, 2009

Cybernetic Crumb
You get the ignite chance and some leech off initial hits. And a good pile of regen to help you go RF.

Ornedan
Nov 4, 2009

Cybernetic Crumb
Does anyone have Vorici 8 on ESC? I've got +1 corrupted Wyrmsigns that need recoloring to be usable.

Ornedan
Nov 4, 2009

Cybernetic Crumb
This looks very much like King of the Forest. It's a Shaper-viable build so following it's guidance will take you far.

Specific things you could do:
Drop Power Charge on Crit from your LA links. Assassin Unstable Infusion will keep your charges up anyway. Replace with Added Chaos.

Try to get a second 5l in your chest so you can add Inc Crit to your Barrage. Your single target suffers without.

Movespeed is in itself an excellent form of defence. What you're out of the way of can't hurt you. But if you're looking for another chest option, Cospri's Will is a good mix of defence and offence - you can run Grace + Blasphemy Enfeeble without hexproof worries, and have curse on hit gloves to enable poison on farther targets.

e: A Death's Opus like you have is the second best thing after a Reach. And not that far behind what with the much better crit stats.
e2: This assumes that you stack on flat damage with an Added Chaos link, of course.

Ornedan fucked around with this message at 20:34 on Dec 9, 2016

Ornedan
Nov 4, 2009

Cybernetic Crumb
I did KotF last league. A 5l LA was one-shotting whites and blues on crit. You lose maybe a quarter of the initial hit's poison-able damage (only phys part converted, Added Chaos is all there), but then the shocks make up for it.

You do want a leveled Tornado Shot in weapon swap for ele reflect maps. And a Dyadian Dawn for phys reflect maps. Both if it's dual reflect.

Ornedan
Nov 4, 2009

Cybernetic Crumb

Ultima66 posted:

I had an Acton's Nightmare drop for me in Quay yesterday. I've never done Acton's Nightmare before and it didn't drop from a Strongbox/Rogue Exile/Nemesis rare/whatever the gently caress. Just a random pack of white mobs dropped Acton's Nightmare. There were no interesting mods on the map and I didn't Zana craft it in any way. No breaches or beyond mobs were involved.

I was under the impression this is impossible? I thought GGG said that unique maps can only ever drop from the map they're based on until you've completed the map, at which point they can start dropping from anywhere?

They partially reverted that:

Content Update 2.5.0 Patch Notes posted:

Unique Maps can now drop if you have completed their equivalent base type on the Atlas.

Ornedan
Nov 4, 2009

Cybernetic Crumb
Sounds like it only had 40% fire res in a fire heavy zone.

Ornedan
Nov 4, 2009

Cybernetic Crumb

Holyshoot posted:

Did you run into the protective bubble too soon?

There's no safe room in that bubble. It's all covered in degen pools, and the character apparently didn't quite outregen that.

Ornedan
Nov 4, 2009

Cybernetic Crumb

damnfan posted:

So I mindlessly enchanted my fingerless silk gloves when running a friend through lab. Any way to revert the loss of my 15% increased spell damage implicit? If not I definitely learned a lesson paying attention.

It's gone. All you can do now is roll enchants until you at least get a usefull one. Or gamble on getting a good corrupt implicit.

Ornedan
Nov 4, 2009

Cybernetic Crumb
  • Use Wrath instead of Anger. More damage, of a better damage type. You do lots of individually smaller hits, so your ignites suck. It'd be much better if those hits could reach the shock threshold instead.
  • The jewel socket above and right of Duelist start (currently holding Fulgent Splinter) would be a good place for a Static Electricity jewel. You'd need to get Art of the Gladiator to make the most of it.
  • Your accuracy sucks. You need AotG and other accuracy nodes. Also flat accuracy on gear - best bet would be one of your rings.
  • Actually, those rings are kinda mediocre. Only good things are the WED rolls. Get ones with life, res, WED and accuracy.
  • You've got too much crit chance. You could drop the crit chance halves of Disemboweling and Fatal Blade and still be slightly overcap.
  • A better-ish tree. Move Fulgent Splinter over to where Survival Secrets is, replace with a Static Electricity.
  • Your weapon is kinda slow. Try to get one with 2aps, high crit and as high edps as your wallet can handle without compromising much on the first two.

The thing about accuracy is that it's checked twice for crit attack builds - first to see if you hit at all, a second time to confirm a potential critical hit. Your effective crit chance vs L68 mobs (T1 map) is 81% and vs L84 mobs it's only 74%.

Ornedan
Nov 4, 2009

Cybernetic Crumb
Has anyone done a golemancer build this league? Necromancer or Elementalist? Any known good guides?
I'm thinking of giving up on the Skyforth dream, but I'm far enough of the way there to fund something decently expensive like the golem jewels.

Ornedan
Nov 4, 2009

Cybernetic Crumb

pork never goes bad posted:

Why is it not a feature? I don't understand, you see.

When you move an item to or from a gstash page, the gstash page and your character's inventory have to be immediately saved. Normal personal stash tab and inventory modifications can be cached on the instance server, and multiple changes buffered together into periodical save actions. There's also the bit where an update needs to be pushed to every other client that's currently observing the gstash page you modified.

All of that means guild stash access is significantly heavier on the persistent realm database than personal stashes. The lack of control-click transfer is there in part to limit the rate at which you can force realm DB to spend resources and in part to hide how slow the process of moving an item between your inventory and gstash is.

Ornedan
Nov 4, 2009

Cybernetic Crumb
Endless ledge only has one provisions chest, right at the start. The contents are the same for every class.

Ornedan
Nov 4, 2009

Cybernetic Crumb
Hrimburn and Three Dragons still work. And you can probably still get total conversion with Pyre + Avatar of Fire.

Those skills are good. Detonate Dead is also good for big ignites.

Vaal RF is probably the best, one shotting anything that can be ignited and doesn't have HP threshold based invulnerability phases.

Ornedan
Nov 4, 2009

Cybernetic Crumb

deep dish peat moss posted:

I mentioned my CWC Frostbolt igniter idea in chat and some people were interested

PoB import string: http://pastebin.com/tABEbprh

In its current state the build might not be playable because there are two problems I haven't solved yet:
1) How to Leech (probably facetank with warlord's)
2) How to get Power Charges (probably cwdt pcoc ice spear)

Completely naked at level 90 except for Tabula PoB DPS: 158,332
269% increased ES w/ CI, VP and Ghost Reaver
NOT including Scorching Ray (oops when i said 200k in chat I accidentally had a +3 fire weapon equipped)

WHY:
Frostbolt has insanely high base damage (752-1129) with a cast speed of .75 seconds. CWC will trigger Frostbolt every .35 seconds, which is the equivalent of having more than 100% More Cast Speed with no point investment.
Ignite is the obvious answer to doing enormous single hits, so it uses Avatar of Fire and Cold to Fire support to convert 100% to fire and crit to apply the ignites (for even bigger ignites)
Scorching Ray on the CWC to lower fire resist for even bigger hits/ignites
This exists because I like CWC and also like Frostbolt, not because it's going to be the strongest possible build

I haven't got around to gearing it out to see what it's capable of, and I'm sure tweaks could be made but here's my proof of concept. Thanks to Zadiel for giving me some good advice on it in gchat last night.

Map clear would suck because of slow single projectiles, but you could probably use a 4-link Vortex/Cold to Fire/Increased AoE/whatever for big aoe clearing.

edit: I also haven't experimented with other ascendancies at all and just chose Assassin on a lark

Try dual Doryani's Catalyst instead of a staff. Better damage and you get elemental leech.

Ornedan
Nov 4, 2009

Cybernetic Crumb

palecur posted:

Apropos of nothing, it sure gets me salty that Vorici, the Assassin, is the only Master who gives you missions that explicitly require you to not kill a specific goblin in a huge pile of other goblins. He's the most annoying Master to level.

That's the point of being an assassin instead of a mere murder hobo.

Ornedan
Nov 4, 2009

Cybernetic Crumb

MMF Freeway posted:

Yeah that's true, but the amount of proj damage you'd get in a normal ED build ain't that much compared to the chaos/dot you get which will still scale the poison/decay. The bigger hit is that spell damage will no longer scale the poison/decay but it hopefully won't kill the build if the compensating damage buff is significant.

Only more mods that will apply to Decay are Void Manipulation and Rapid Decay (and berserker). High end ED builds are gonna be dead.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ornedan
Nov 4, 2009

Cybernetic Crumb

Ein Sexmonster posted:

Some people in beta have been messing around with GMP-minefield tornado shot with coated shrapnel (poison on hit with mines/trap). So many poison stacks, so fast.

This also works with Doomfletch Prism, you get silly amounts of upfront damage instead.

• Locked thread