Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MannersPlease
Aug 13, 2014
Some Insanely Big Booty from the death throes of darkshrine. I'll miss you~

Oh yeah, that deodre's dropped corrupted with cast speed implicit!

Note the FPS graph on that second picture...that's the difference between standing around 40 bodies and around 400 bodies.

MannersPlease fucked around with this message at 02:56 on Dec 8, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MannersPlease
Aug 13, 2014

ronya posted:

My Darkshrine haul is a bunch of q20s and buying an exalt at about ~30% off Standard chaos prices

I think the one-month had exponential rewards for time investment

Well not really, all you would have to do to make the most money possible is to dump all your money into spamming 'seek the apex'...this would result in very linear returns, not exponential, and returns that are both way more valuable on the back end and require way less currency and time on the front end.

I did that for a little while but it was pretty boring. If I had a build I REALLY liked I might have done more, but I ended up specced into EA which, while pretty great for corrupting tempests, was not a type of playstyle that I personally enjoyed alot. The thrill of getting the stars to align and spawning the perfect corrupting tempest zone was pretty awesome, even if not near as profitable as seek the apex.

MannersPlease fucked around with this message at 02:52 on Dec 8, 2015

MannersPlease
Aug 13, 2014
Is the buff to spec throw enough to make it viable? I got banans when they were on sale last and I haven't played that build...

I figure the style is flexible enough to throw whatever talisman challenge throws at us, but I don't wanna totally gimp my first character...

That being said, I think my first main will be a support so I can just leech other peoples maps when I actually have time to play so :P

I know mathil showed it was viable with INSANE gear in darkshrine, but...I don't want to rely on a 6 t2+ mod weapon dropping...

MannersPlease
Aug 13, 2014

AegisP posted:

Keep in mind, Spectral Throw and all of the other starting skills are getting Threshold Jewels this patch to augment whatever buffs they're getting.

I'm a bit confused about that jewel honestly. It seems like it's really underwhelming vs single target - 16% damage for a jewel slot. for packs it's nice I suppose though...I suppose you could always jewel swap like you gem swap for specific encounters...

MannersPlease
Aug 13, 2014

Duck and Cover posted:

I'm thinking poison/bleed dagger flickerstrike.

aren't poison and bleed effects the exact opposite of what flicker strike wants to do?

MannersPlease
Aug 13, 2014
Flicker, iirc, is basically relying on the idea of 1 hit ko to keep up charges. Poison and bleed could be nice bonuses but if you actually invest in them you are gimping your initial hit in some way and I'm not really sure if its worth it. Maybe the poison gem will be nice for this, we will have to see how it works? but for sure, many of the bleed bonuses are based on enemies already bleeding, and I dont think you don't want to be flickering multiple times on the same mob.

Do enemies that die from DoT effects even provide chargers on kill or w/e? My gut tells me no, but that could be wrong, or something they have changed at some point.

Anyway, I've never personally played flicker, so I could be wrong. Good luck!

also,
https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1490389

MannersPlease
Aug 13, 2014

snipermonkey posted:

Now I'm regretting that I didn't play dark shrine league, but I just didn't want to start from the beginning all over again. By the way how did you manage to get so many 6 links? And what are those booty chests and how did you get so many?

That map is the unique map mao kun. 8 dudes spawn that drop booty chests, open 8 chests to summon the map boss. Darkshrines spawn in map, use flat phys roll items to force fracture modifier on map, and now u have 8 + 16 mobs that spawn booty chests (and the map is only coded to spawn the first boss still!)

As for the 6Ls, it's a darkshrine method of combining three completely broken aspects of 3 different leagues:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x_CFq2uMurM

There is alot of cost upfront in the process - rolling the right maps to proc the ghost touched and corrupting tempest, then RNGing the mod you need when you sacrifice the item, the zana cost to force darkshrine spawns, RNG in t14/t15 maps to spawn chaos damage weapon/currency and ilvl 83+ base to craft chaos damage weapon, time to do all this poo poo, acquiring high level maps in the first place (thanks funman!)
It was real neat to do.

MannersPlease fucked around with this message at 08:49 on Dec 10, 2015

MannersPlease
Aug 13, 2014
Well GGG changed my character BanAllMuslims to RenameSPBA, free speech has offically died.

MannersPlease
Aug 13, 2014
I'm glad we can all agree that it's a great freedom to be able to be an offensive dick when criticizing someone else, unfortunately GGG does not feel the same way :(

MannersPlease
Aug 13, 2014
GGG changed my name to BeNiceToMuslims. Now I can still get my point accross without offending all you PC babies. lmao

MannersPlease
Aug 13, 2014

StoryTime posted:

Make a gimmick Cast On Death build and crash pub parties.

This is a good idea.

MannersPlease
Aug 13, 2014

Bugsy posted:

Holy poo poo that last sword. I may be wrong but that triple dips on the Deadly Dilettante node right? (24% increased phys damage with swords/claws/daggers) I know the Snowforged node can double dips with conversions so it looks like it should give 72% increased phys (along with a 36% phys node and two 12% attack speed :lol: nodes).

my first reaction was that sword would be garbage. I guess that one cluster is cool but it has no base crit, the base attack speed is pretty meh for 1hand, melee phys 1hand sucks as it is, and the meh damage on the weapon itself isn't going to be offset by ~10 free skill points of 'meh' nodes using that cluster, is it?

Maybe they will do something to make melee 1h strong again but as of right now I can't see a godly skill tree cluster saving a mediocre weapon used for a lovely meta.

Although, maybe this could be pretty decent as a mainhand for reave crit with the assassin ascendancy. I'm really struggling to think of a use for it otherwise...

MannersPlease fucked around with this message at 03:44 on Feb 23, 2016

MannersPlease
Aug 13, 2014

dis astranagant posted:

Well, right now it can pick up that and the sword+axe cluster by Marauder for a total of 204% damage, 72% aspeed, and 75% global crit for a total of 10 nodes and some traveling you were going to do anyway. If 2.2 adds another cluster or 2 it can double dip, it could be interesting.

Yeah this is true. I'm definitely skeptical, but maybe that's just pessimism after my lackluster 1h phys build this last league...

MannersPlease
Aug 13, 2014

Hauki posted:

Awesome, that would be great. I can throw some stuff your way if you care. I should be done with work by 4pm est.

Also on crit chat, word on nugi'so stream yesterday was that crit multi is potentially being made additive instead of multiplicative and they may also be reducing base crit multi (?). So expect it to still be great, but probably less effective per %.

Helman's stream just had nugi around and I asked and he was confused about any crit change.

Another guy said that the change is just a wording change and not a balance change. Crit multi is becoming additive to your base 150% instead of multiplicative (which honestly makes alot more sense as far as keeping things simple...150+x is easier to compute than 150+1.5*x). At the same time, all crit multi values get a 50% boost (hence all the assassin nodes going from 10% to 15%, the crit multi IMPLICIT on the unique foil going from 20% to 30%, etc), which in the end will give you the same crit multi as before.

Anyway, I hope they keep assassin. gently caress all the haters.

MannersPlease
Aug 13, 2014

Devor posted:

Welp, guess I'm buying at least one of these premium tabs

Its ok GGG deserves your money :getin:

MannersPlease
Aug 13, 2014

funmanguy posted:

I'm the goon with the most buttcoins in the guild and I love this league. League is good, game is good. Got a scolds to have some fun with.

Bro, i got a scolds (again) too. What ascendancy/build are you thinking?

MannersPlease
Aug 13, 2014

Phobophilia posted:

Hey, why use a chance to ignite gem in your 5-link, when your elemental conflux is going to ignite absolutely everything anyway?

for killing when its down/on rares/unique mobs I would imagine

MannersPlease
Aug 13, 2014
Poison scaling is OP so without doing the math myself that sounds about right. Although I beleive that the "x% less totem damage" on the spell totem gem will also double dip in the poison damage, so you will have some sort of less damage multiplier in there as well (to be clear, I have no data on this, I am just assuming based on general expectations).

As opposed to a mine build which has an extra more multiplier instead of a less multiplier and proceeds to 1 shot various end game bosses with ease.

MannersPlease fucked around with this message at 08:12 on Jun 2, 2016

MannersPlease
Aug 13, 2014
same but my grandma

MannersPlease
Aug 13, 2014

killstealing posted:

your grandma got play

60 some years ago yea

MannersPlease
Aug 13, 2014
Alright goons, since this has been repeated in chat a bunch I just wanna do the math and see if anyone can show me where my math is wrong, or if yall are just assuming or repeating stuff you heard elsewhere. Here are the base numbers I am using, which seem like a reasonable starting point for this calculation:

Level 20 BV: 108–162 physical damage (135 average)
Damage effectiveness: 30%
Max roll spell damage Vinktars: 25–90 added to spells (57.5 average)
Physical conversion VInktars: 20%
Warlords Mark: global 2% life/mana leech
Vessel of Vinktar: lightning 20% life/mana leech
Taste of Hate+Hatred = 70% phys added as cold

With physical conversion vinktar: 108 physical damage/27 lightning damage/94 cold damage
202 damage leech @ 2% + 27 leech @ 20%
4.04+5.2

With added to spells vinktar: 135 physical damage/17.25 lightning damage/94 cold damage
246 damage leech @ 2% + 17 leech @ 20%
4.92+3.4

Physical Conversion Vinktar total:
9.24 damage leech per hit (~10% more)
202 damage per hit

Added to Spells Vinktar total:
8.36 damage leech per hit
246 damage per hit (~20% more)

It seems to me that added to spells vinktar is clearly better, especially when you factor in poison damage (conversion means you have 20% less poison damage) and enemy resistances (enemies taking significantly less lightning damage and providing less leech in the process as well). Even if I had a 6L with lvl 4 empower and 21 blade vortex, when you factor in enemy resists (especially on bosses), I am probably going to leech a very similar amount and do significantly more damage with the added damage to spells vinktar. Is there something I forgot here or ...?

Maybe if you were running wrath and added lightning gems and using phys to lightning and doing a whole different build, I can see conversion working well, but for most BV characters (phys based) the added to spells seems superior or equal in every way...

MannersPlease fucked around with this message at 20:03 on Jun 18, 2016

MannersPlease
Aug 13, 2014

TheRat posted:

Vinktars leech always has full effect, and leeches mana. Warlords is reduced against bosses and doesnt work on hexproof.

E: And the leech% gets buffed by flask effect nodes

Ok but this doesnt tell me how my math is wrong...do you know actual numbers for average resist on bosses? The wiki seems outdated, I'm not sure where to look for that information, so I can only respond with generalities:

I have flask effect nodes but I also have curse effect nodes , and I would assume most bosses have significant resistances which kinda makes it seem that vinktars doesn't always have full effect, since all of its damage (and therefore leech) is getting a major reduced effectiveness by boss resistances.

For me, bosses only reduce curse by 30%, so if they have at least 30% lit resist then my example calculation applies. If they have more than 30% resist (I would suspect this to be the norm) then the entire post still stands - added to spells is clearly superior.

Maybe only when bosses have 0% resist, and their full 60% curse effectiveness, then it's a toss up (still not the 100% vote for conversion that goons seem to be swearing by).

Warlords also leeches mana. I personally don't have to worry about hexproof but I guess in a hexproof map you would leech significantly more with vinktars (and still have significant less damage though), but still in all other situations...

MannersPlease fucked around with this message at 20:20 on Jun 18, 2016

MannersPlease
Aug 13, 2014

TheRat posted:

But you didnt include it in your calculations.

Damage leech per hit implies both, supported by the top of the post where I listed life/mana leech...

MannersPlease
Aug 13, 2014
The fringe cases of conversion being better for hexproof (added spells still will get you by) and reflect (also very easy to just have a phys to light gem swap) don't seem like they are worth losing massive poison damage in every case, physical damage that isn't as easily resisted in every case, and paying 2.5+ more exalteds for.

TheRat posted:

You are also doing calculations on a base gem that hasnt been scaled up at all, massively benefitting added damage over conversion.

That could be where I am wrong. I thought my gems (crit chance, crit damage, faster cast, conc) as well as my damage on gear and tree (area damage, spell damage) scale both the physical damage from the gem as well as the added damage from the flask, so if I want to do all that math I can but the relationship/weighting between the two would stay the same. Are you telling me that all my gear/tree/gems will scale my blade vortex gem but not my flask?

MannersPlease fucked around with this message at 20:33 on Jun 18, 2016

MannersPlease
Aug 13, 2014

TheRat posted:

Partially, yes.

care to elaborate which ones don't scale my flat ele damage

MannersPlease
Aug 13, 2014

TheRat posted:

If you get physical damage nodes/belt/etc, they will scale your blade vortex's physical part before the calculations are made for any conversions and similar stuff like vinktars/taste of hate. So by nature of your initial physical damage being more powerful, vinktars conversion will be more powerful while vinktars added flat will not.

E: I'm pretty sure the same goes for spell damage

If you are a shadow this might be worth figuring out, but I have no physical damage nodes so this doesn't apply at all.

I would assume the opposite for added x-x spell damage, that it would scale them equally just fine. If you get it on gear/gems/auras it is scaled by your spell damage nodes, why wouldn't it be the same from a flask?

MannersPlease
Aug 13, 2014

TheRat posted:

Auras arent scaled by spell damage, they are scaled by elemental damage.

E: And while you may not have physical damage, you definitely have spell damage in there somewhere I hope?

I do have a ton of spell damage. Something like 250 on gear+tree, and another 70 or so area maybe?

So I just threw in a lvl 17 anger, which adds 72.5 flat fire to spells, times .3 for effectiveness, 21.75 flat fire damage.

But my tooltip shows 73.5 flat fire damage now, which is about in line with all my increased % area+ spell damage.

Are you sure that added spell damage from auras aren't scaled?

The same thing happens with added lightning gem - it shows the gem damage to be similar on gem and tooltip, despite the .3 effectiveness (which is because of my %increased, no?)

It's the same with how added flat physical damage works, right? scaled up by your gems, gear, and tree - regardless of where it originated (rings, amulets, etc)

MannersPlease fucked around with this message at 21:00 on Jun 18, 2016

MannersPlease
Aug 13, 2014
I'm going pathfinder first character because I started playing video games with starcraft and warcraft 3 and if I am not constantly spamming thru my 1-5 hotkeys then I am physically uncomfortable.

Also, I think that pathfinder is more than sufficiently strong right now to not require massive investment to make the character endgame viable. I agree that it really shines when you can get taste/vinktars/rumis all going, but the pathfinder keystones themselves are extremely strong regardless of what your flask setup is (free poison, damage pen+added ele to phys, immunity to ailments+extra damage). Most importantly, normal flasks benefit hugely from having permanent uptime and bonus effect as well...stibnite, basalt, jade or granite, and the most relevant resist flask is easily enough to keep you pushing into the hardest content.

The most recent 48 hour shows that pretty much anything is viable, and while it DID encourage people to play something other than ele/slayer, pathfinders did perform especially well (position 5 and 7). This guy hit lvl 89, position 7 on the ladder, with no unique flasks (Character TRQQ).

I would tell anyone that wants to play a pathfinder to go ahead and start with one and enjoy playing a very strong class that they want to play. Unless you are trying to play the most efficient build possible and hit 100 first, I don't really see a reason to not pick pathfinder if that's something you enjoy or are inclined to do...

MannersPlease fucked around with this message at 21:33 on Aug 28, 2016

MannersPlease
Aug 13, 2014

WELP

MannersPlease
Aug 13, 2014
Next league is when everyone will discover the OP power of triple poison chaos golems.

MannersPlease
Aug 13, 2014
The nice thing for me is that I'm probably going to keep my life based POH build and switch from cospri's to QOTF anyway, and I'll really want to run at least 1 life flask + jade + stibnite + quicksilver + silver flask, since I'm mainly wanting to run uber lab at max movespeed anyway. I can drop my quicksilver for atziri promise for boss dps, or run basalt+granite of ironskin swap for quicksilver/silver for tankiness if needed. Either way, none of this is gear that is expensive.

Getting the unique flasks will be a harder goal but certainly not needed to make the build functional. Most BV characters go es and daggers+shield, even pathfinders, so I imagine it won't be too bad for me.

MannersPlease fucked around with this message at 03:55 on Aug 29, 2016

MannersPlease
Aug 13, 2014
I'm...tentatively optimistic about these changes being in the right direction...I dont know poo poo though.

Not sure how I feel about the bladevortex thing as far as my build goes, I guess it means I no longer need as much cast speed and I can replace one of those gems with something else to help increase the missing damage, but...eh...gently caress now I actually have to think.

It's still probably going to be plenty strong enough to destroy uber izaro without much effort, and likely make maping that much easier since I get more damage for my initial casts...

MannersPlease
Aug 13, 2014
CoC was super fun and I have a hard time imagining what these changes look like but I'm going to be really sad if they gut it. Like I see a nerf to the coc playstyle in general and then I read something like 'fireball damage +50%" and I have a really hard time imagining how these things work together to make the game more fun. coc was hella fun and selfcast fireball is loving awful, in terms of just pure fun/novelty. I guess I'll have to see it in action to really understand.

"Cast on Critical Strike now has a 500ms cooldown, and will now only trigger one spell per frame when you critically strike. It now has 100% chance to trigger casts when you critically strike. It now has 20% more spell damage at level 1, tapered up to 39% at level 20 (1% per level). Note that the changes described above in "Triggered Skill Improvements" affect Cast on Critical Strike - spells are chosen in the order of their sockets."

Does this mean you can only cast 1 spell per .5 seconds? I don't understand how the gem has a 500ms cooldown , but also, can only trigger 1 spell per frame. can someone please explain this? 2 spells/second seems really slow why not just self-cast at this point? or does that mean if you have 4 unsupported spells (lmao...coc setup without support gems) then you get up to 4 spells per 500ms cooldown? assuming you hit 4 times or 4 enemies or whatever in that one critical strike action? Does anyone understand what exactly these changes look like you attack with any current sort of CoC setup (fakener, phys coc, gmp based barrage/ST coc)?

MannersPlease fucked around with this message at 02:25 on Aug 31, 2016

MannersPlease
Aug 13, 2014

Awesome! posted:

for a lot of people, others clearing faster than them negatively impacts their "fun" because they are children

Maybe GGG is just setting us all up for some really good CoC puns when they return it to its former glory at some point in the future.

Edit: Also, the more I think about it, the more I'm stoked for BV this next patch. I can actually just do my old build and have to cast way less often for more damage, at the cost of bosses taking slightly longer - and thats only if you don't count the normal rampup time for 0 to 50 stacks I used to do anyway...

63% more damage at 20 stacks is the equivilent of ~33 stacks previously, which is more than you needed to mow the lawn in red maps. This actually seems like a significant buff to BV playstyle overall. More upfront damage to bosses (less rampup time) means that most bosses won't take that much longer anyway...

MannersPlease fucked around with this message at 02:38 on Aug 31, 2016

MannersPlease
Aug 13, 2014

NightfallGemini posted:

As if it wasn't already taking long enough to hit 100. What's even the point of that change?

Also all the stuff that pertains to the Bladefall trapper build shouldn't hurt other ones like Bladefall totems that badly, right?

Nothing in the notes will effect bladefall totems, other than ascendancy choices...I guess. Will be a strong+cheap build.

MannersPlease
Aug 13, 2014
is it my video card dying or is *this a buff*

MannersPlease
Aug 13, 2014
IM POOPING AS I READ THIS.

but really, speaking of my chance to spawn trials this last week...

MannersPlease
Aug 13, 2014
GOATSE represent

MannersPlease
Aug 13, 2014

panda clue posted:

contact Zadiel for assistance in getting items from Cadiro you don't have enough coins for

I love how you can still go on about this after quitting the guild in an emotional meltdown and going on racist tirades in IRC because people dare to disagree with you on how much of an awful person LNB is.

but at least you have more exalts than the average goon kappa

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MannersPlease
Aug 13, 2014
I believe that as you do elemental conversion, 'converted' damage still retains the 'tags' of it's unconverted type. So if you have 100% cold to fire, all of your fire damage will benefit as if it was both cold and fire damage. However, an ignite effect is fire to begin with, and the lingering damage of vortex is always cold and cannot be converted (this is what I remember hearing at least), and so if you are going for ingite cold to fire vortex you will need to use elemental damage.

If you use +cold damage, your initial 'hit' will be converted to fire but still benefit, and the lingering damage will benefit as well, but an ignite effect from the hit will not benefit from +cold damage, because it was never cold to begin with. On the other hand, if you use +fire damage, your hit and it's ignite effect will both benefit from the boost, double dipping the ignite as people say, but the lingering vortex aoe damage will remain cold because of the skills mechanics and therefore it will not benefit from the +fire damage.

Spell damage actually doesn't double dip with ignite either, so it works at only partial efficiency in the same way that cold damage does. You can really only 'efficently' boost damage here with something something "elemental damage".

Of course, if you aren't trying to ignite, then you can use cold damage or elemental damage or spell damage because all 3 of those effect both the converted hit and the lingering aoe dps.

• Locked thread