Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007
Christ, the first new Star Wars film in over a decade is coming out in 3 days and we're still arguing about the prequels.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007
Did anyone watch the "60 Minutes Overtime" clips from last night? There's a segment where they're editing a scene between Rey and BB-8 and they're working on BB-8's voice for his lines of "dialogue". Needless to say his (her?) voice is cute as gently caress.

Don't watch it if you're avoiding spoilers though, because it reveals how Rey and BB-8 meet

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007
$474,544,677
$310,676,740
$380,270,577

This is how much the "bad" prequels made.

I don't know why this would lead people to believe that Disney wants to play it safe this time around. No matter what, it being a Star Wars film means it will print money. Adjusting due to inflation, plus the cash-grab format up-sells like 3D, fake IMAX, and real IMAX means that its almost guaranteed to make more than Episode 1 did.

(Just a side note, The Clone Wars movie that was released in theaters has already been surpassed at the box office by The Force Awakens via $50 million+ in pre-sales)

If you want to claim the "safe" angle because of JJ (or Colin Trevorrow for that matter), that's one thing that you MIGHT be able to back up. But nothing about Rian Johnson's career points to him playing anything safe.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007
Oh I forgot another cool tidbit from the 60 Minutes Overtime videos was JJ talking about the writing process with Lawrence Kasden. He talked about how he would have an idea and Kasden would be like "NO, you don't need to say that, the character doesn't need to say that. Just trust the characters."

I was both shocked that JJ thought this was a novel idea, and relieved that Kasden helped write this movie.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

lelandjs posted:

[Edit: Oh right, Star Wars thread. Anyone watching the Red Carpet?]

I am.

I don't own any Star Wars merchandise except the DVDs, however I'm currently watching the red carpet premiere. Where does this place me on the nerd scale?

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

Calico Heart posted:

There's something I've really really disliked about the advertising for this movie, and maybe it's just me, but...

They're selling these action figures and toys of these characters and we know nothing about them. They haven't revealed anything about their, you know, personalities at all. That to me was why people came to Star Wars; the world and the characters. Right now it's just all imagery. What if the movie comes out and their all unlikable shitheads?

I don't think that will happen, but I mean, these are characters that will become iconic by virtue of just being in the movie. I'd have liked it if they tried to get us excited for the people in the movie.

But everyone in the prequels were unlikeable shitheads and that didn't stop any toy sales.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

Silver Brushes posted:

The run away is funny because she falls onto a sand dune in the middle of nowhere with a clone, and then tells him to get to the Dooku hangar and to hurry and then runs with him. It's always registered as weird with me because she should say "let's go".

Was it RLM that pointed out that they don't even necessarily know that Dooku is headed towards specifically a hangar? Like, Dooku could have just parked that poo poo on a rooftop, or in the middle of nowhere on the ground, or an underground lair with a secret hidden door that retracts to let his ship fly out, or like a runway. Hell he might not have had any escape plan other than peacing out on that speeder bike thing. But no, Padme knows it's a hangar that he's headed towards and she's gotta get to it.

Also, requesting whoever made it to please repost the Padme/Rey shooting gif.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007
When your movie is boring, it's easier to pick out the flaws.

edit: The Force Awakens has surpassed $100 million in pre sales.

Mahoning fucked around with this message at 01:10 on Dec 16, 2015

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007
Here's the thing, the stupid line alone is meaningless and throwaway on its own. But that line happens during one of the ugliest and most cringe inducing scenes in the entire prequel trilogy. Have I seen worse? Sure. But this is Star Wars and if you're gonna have a "scene" as ugly as that one, maybe just make sure the dialogue makes sense.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

computer parts posted:

Ah yes, the classic "it matters more because I dislike the movie" defense.

I didn't say it matters more, it's just more noticeable.

You're terrible at the prequels are good shtick. Leave it to the people who actually have interesting things to say and aren't just contrarian like cnut and SMG

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007
One thing to keep in mind about JJ Abrams and his past films: he has written them with his generally lovely writing partners. Any complaints about his movies have to do with script, not direction.

Larry Kasden is much better at writing a script (or a Star Wars film for that matter) than Abrams and probably schooled him. In fact, JJ has said as much to 60 Minutes.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

Richard Roeper posted:

The Force Awakens pops with memorable battle sequences, gives us chills with encore appearances by stars from the original trilogy and introduces more than a half-dozen terrific Next Generation characters.

Picard, Riker, LaForge, Crusher, Worf, Data, Troi?

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007
The io9 review says little to no noticeable lens flair, so I hope nerds will stop regurgitating that criticism of JJ ad naseum.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007
This is the funniest, most fun, and most action packed Star Wars movie. Even if it's not a perfect movie, if the least I could say is that I had a ton of fun watching it, it's more than worthy in my book.

Rey is so loving awesome. Daisy Ridley knocked it out of the park. The moment when her and Kylo Ren both go for the lightsaber just had me giddy as gently caress.

Also, I could see the Kylo kills Han thing coming as soon as Han walks onto the bridge, but holy poo poo did that scene still have me on the edge of my seat.

I wasn't bothered by any of the callbacks or repeated plot points. Everything was different enough that it still felt new and different.

All in all, Rey, Finn and Kylo Ren are awesome and really leave the franchise in capable hands. Like any Abrams film, this one asks more questions than it answers but knowing those answers will come now that the baton has been passed makes me not only confident, but excited for episodes 8 & 9.

Also, BB-8 rocks.

If you're worried about this movie, stop worrying. There's like a 0% chance you will hate it.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

Zoran posted:

I still think Rey is Luke's daughter.

This is probably a good guess. I won't even be mad or let down if it's true, but I'd be pleasantly surprised if they went in another direction. I find myself wanting to learn the most about Rey and who she really is, who her parents are, and what exactly she's capable of/how powerful she is.

I'm also just in love with the fact that all of the marketing for this film pointed towards Finn being the "new Jedi" when it was actually Rey.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

Jewel Repetition posted:

On second thought, they had to be making Kylo Ren pathetic on purpose. So it was wrongheaded of me to criticize that (but it does mean we need a bigger badder villain besides Snoke)

Snoke also has a line at the end telling General Hux to retrieve Kylo Ren so he can complete his training, which would point to him possibly being much more powerful in the second and third films.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

Cat4Tumbleweed posted:

As someone who's planning on seeing the movie tomorrow night, reading this thread is like walking through a minefield.

Anyways, I just have one question for the people who have seen the movie. How is Kylo Ren as a villain? Do you guys think he's good enough to be the main villain for the whole trilogy? I'm asking because he seemed like a typical, boring, edgy Grimdark villain in the trailers. I wasn't really interested in him. I'm really hoping that my first impressions are wrong and that he's an interesting bad dude.

Kylo Ren is probably my #1 concern going into this. I just want my worries to be confirmed or denied so I can set my expectations accordingly.

I wouldn't worry too much. He's not as badass as Vader, but he is a lot more unhinged and has a ton more character development than Vader did in ANH.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007
There's a badass shot during the one battle of Finn shooting at Stormtroopers, then it pans up to follow an X-Wing dogfighting with a TIE Fighter and then pans down again for more ground fighting. It was a "wow" moment for me.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

RBA Starblade posted:

I also enjoyed how Chewie let out a howl of grief then went 'gently caress this' and triggered the bombs.

Don't forget he also wasted like 5 Stormtroopers with his bowcaster first.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007
Just want to say that Mark Hamill's acting for such a short scene with no dialogue was SUPERB. When she whips out his old lightsaber the look on his face is one of just absolute shock, with tears in his eyes. Now, maybe Rey is his daughter and that's why he had that look but holy cow did that look on his face give me goosebumps.

Oh and the parallels with Nazi Germany are appropriate since the Third Reich (First order?) sprung from the remnants of the defeated belligerent of the last great war.

Mahoning fucked around with this message at 22:00 on Dec 18, 2015

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007
For Episode VIII, I'd like to see Leia use the Force a little bit. Not light saber poo poo or anything like that, but just some cool stuff to show how powerful she actually is. I really liked seeing Rey use the Force and actually be strong and capable too. More of that please.

In fact, I'd love to see Leia confront Ben and school his rear end a little bit.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

Bad news: you might be bad at watching movies.

But how can you gather that without being expressly told that?????

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007
So after a second viewing, I picked up a few minor things. During Rey's Force flashback (premonition?), it appears as if she was about 6 or 7 years old when she was abandoned on Jakku. A ship is flying away that she's screaming at but its not a ship I recognized.

Also, regarding people complaining that Kylo Ren is a chump that gets owned by a Force newbie, he actually doesn't really. Everything that people have said is true, though. He was severely injured by Chewie's bowcaster and still basically owns both Rey and Finn despite that. However, Finn nicked him with the saber (that's a second wound) so he's struggling even more by the time Rey has the saber. Even after all that, Rey is basically fleeing him the entire fight until the chasm opens up. When their sabers are locked on the edge of the chasm and Kylo Ren says "I can teach you the ways of the Force", Rey realizes something. I THINK she remembered something maybe from her childhood pre-Jakku. Maybe she was being trained as a Jedi or about the Force before being abandoned. She then closes her eyes and concentrates and is basically able to gently caress him up after that, hitting him in his shoulder (that's 3 pretty bad wounds). Even after all that, he still puts up a pretty good fight before she finally gets the winning blow in. So all things considered, it's pretty admirable that he put up that good of a fight against someone so strong with the Force.

Also apparently Daniel Craig played the Stormtrooper that Rey uses the Jedi Mind Trick on. Pretty cool.

Mahoning fucked around with this message at 05:25 on Dec 19, 2015

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007
Someone complained in this thread about Maz Kanata's palace not having any ships parked outside. There's a ton, you just can't see them if you're not looking for them because of all the trees on that planet.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

Lord Krangdar posted:

Were there any direct references to anything from the prequels? I didn't catch any.

Kylo Ren mentioned to General Hux that maybe they should switch back to a clone army.

That's the only one I caught.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007
Anyone notice how the character posters for this movie all have something covering the right side of the face? That's where Rey lands her final blow on Kylo Ren, and also where Han Solo touches Ren's face right before he falls to his death. Snoke seems to have a bad scar on the other side of his face, but perhaps hologram technology flips the image? I have no loving clue. So maybe face scars are the new missing limbs in this trilogy.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007
So when Kylo Ren is interrogating Rey, he takes off his helmet and puts it down in like a thing of ashes. Anyone have any ideas what that's about? Tell me it's loving Vader's ashes that he soaks his loving helmet in to try and get some of that Sith to rub off on him.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

Boon posted:

I think people need to look at this movie not through the lens of ANH but the ENTIRE original trilogy. To me it's all there.

I agree. And it really doesn't leave a ton to be copied in 8 & 9. Which is a good thing. JJ used a lot of familiar imagery, situations, places, etc from all 3 films. Some he really put interesting twists on, others were a bit more lazy. But it's over with now and Rian Johnson now has a ton of freedom to take these interesting characters and the state of the galaxy and just run with it, taking it to new and interesting places without having to remind everyone about the OT.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007
Regarding R2-D2, I think I picked something up on second viewing. So Rey's force vision features quite a few different visions. I THINK they are all situations she already was in, lost memories basically, or will be in. If we assume that is true, at one point Luke lays his mechanical hand on R2-D2. I believe he's telling R2 something there, something about the Force and Rey. Something along the lines of "Go to Leia and shut down into low power mode until Rey comes to you." I feel like Rey had to have been there, otherwise she wouldn't have seen it in the vision. Could be wrong. I doubt it has anything to do with his lightsaber since I don't think Luke had any reason to believe that would ever be seen again.

Someone gets killed in that vision and it appears to be that one alien looking guy with a large helmet that we saw in some of the marketing images awhile ago.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

virtualboyCOLOR posted:

I watched a new hope prior to seeing this and all the flaws people are brining up in this movie exist in a new hope. Take that as how you will.

The problem is, it's impossible for people to view A New Hope as a standalone film. There are 5 films that came out after A New Hope that either answer a lot of questions that were set up in A New Hope or explanations for minor tidbits about the past. And people can't really remove all that knowledge.

Many complaints either will be answered in 8 & 9 or exist in the OT that everyone conveniently gives passes to.

Oh you're shocked they built another Death Star? Like, they built a SECOND Death Star in ROTJ, clearly these are idiots ("Your overconfidence is your weakness") who don't learn their lesson, why should we be surprised that this new generation Empire repeats the mistakes of the past? That's a loving theme throughout world history, dumb idiots not learning their lesson and repeating past mistakes.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

Hazo posted:

Are we supposed to be concerned with the fate of Captain Phasma? Nobody seems to be really talking about what happened after she unceremoniously disappeared from the movie following her capture and I don't think we're supposed to believe Han or Finn is sadistic enough to actually execute her in a garbage compactor.

It's already been revealed well before the movie was released that that character has a much larger role in the later films.

I'd like to see her blamed for the destruction of Starkiller base and expelled from the First Order. It gives her the chance to go out on her own and seek revenge against Finn more than likely.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

pigdog posted:

I mean was there a better reason behind it besides the lame and obvious excuse. Don't know about you but if I was starving on a desert planet waiting for someone, and some dudes offered me a spaceship and/or the chance to join the resistance, then I would certainly take the opportunity even to go look for whoever they were. If they were even alive. I mean that girl isn't a 4-year old, she's a grown woman and should be able to make more complex decisions than "wait here".

Maybe also write a post-it note in case whoever they were did happen to stop by.

Have you considered that perhaps you're terrible at watching movies?

Not only is that a perfectly valid thing for an abandoned child to feel, it also turns the idea of Luke wanting nothing more than to leave Tatooine on its head.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

pigdog posted:

Yeah.. you kind of made my point better than I did. Why the hell does he want to stick around there while Luke in the same universe acted like a normal human being and couldn't wait to GTFO? If someone was looking for her, then she could've just left a message or something.

But Luke HAD a family. It's a completely different dynamic.

But you're right, it should be more like a video game. Tell us more about that. :allears:

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

pigdog posted:

At least he didn't dedicate his entire life on the obsession that would have made him starve in the desert for 20 years for the off chance of seeing his family. I mean the more you think about it, the crazier it seems. What if her parents landed 10 or 100 miles away from her, or stopped by while she was scavenging or whatever? It's such a silly motivation that I kept hoping throughout the movie there had to be a deeper one.

You probably aren't very good at the empathy thing are you?

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

Bongo Bill posted:

Nah, that was Ewan MacGregor.

No, actually JJ has confirmed that they used Alec Guinness, in addition to Ewan McGregor.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007
This movie is the "Lower Decks" of Star Wars. A bunch of characters we don't care about or know doing things around and involving people and places we know and care about.

Both work excellently as a one-off "episode".

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007
Just gonna throw one out there that hasn't been mentioned, especially if they're looking for a new writer too: Christopher McQuarrie

Dude knows how to direct a critically and financially successful existing action packed franchise, his writing credits include some great films, and he already reportedly worked on Rogue One.

The last two Mission Impossible films have been fun as hell, id take Bird or McQuarrie.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

Ingmar terdman posted:

Coruscant is being saved for IX when Rey gets a bite to eat at a random diner and meets Dex, who immediately recognizes her as Obi's daughter, because he's smarter than the Jedi computers.

And sends her to the planet Chevi Vega

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

Waffles Inc. posted:

dude five planets were iced!

it's not just DC getting iced it's like DC, London, Berlin, Moscow and Tokyo being iced

it's loving NUTS how few fucks anyone gives, even in the immediate aftermath

Han says nothing, then Finn's like, 'where's rey' and they all.....move on

It's more like DC, Arlington, Silver Spring, Bethesda, and Tysons Corner being iced.

• Locked thread