Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Phi230 posted:

notice how none of the media nor toys are about the prequels

go to target or walmart or toys r us right now and go into the toys section and look for star wars stuff

not a SINGLE toy from the prequels in sight. All ep 4-6, 7, rogue one.

nobody likes it, nobody wants it and that's reflected in the amount of money they made in the box office and their critical and audience reception.

Saw an action figure pack this weekend that was Maul and Obi-Wan. Lego also just released a set featuring Obi-Wan's fighter from RotS.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

Super Fan posted:

Ford, Jones and Guiness still act circles around everyone in the PT.

Ian McDiarmid in the PT acts circles around everyone in the OT. .

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

RBA Starblade posted:

Even Ian McDiarmid?

Especially Ian McDiarmid.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

No, like Guiness and Cushing, McDiarmid recognized that the Star Wars were nothing more than a pulpy genre, and played it accordingly.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

Phi230 posted:

which disney film, produced or otherwise, has failed in recent memory?

cars 2 comes to mind, but what others?

Lone Ranger. Tomorrowland. John Carter

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

Phi230 posted:

In Star Wars prequels terms, I expected Star Wars, but got a demonstrably different product of inferior value

maybe i can sue lucas for breach of contract under the ucc

In Star Wars prequels terms, I expected Star Wars, and what I got was Star Wars.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

Steve2911 posted:

Booked seats for Rogue One. I hope it's a good film.

I just hope it's better than TFA

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

Just saw Rogue One. Enjoyed it immensely. It was a far better film than TFA, that's for sure.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

VolticSurge posted:

I love how everybody's already proclaiming that Jedi is gonna be a trash fire based on the teaser.

You could say the same thing about how everyone thinks it's going to be awesome because of the teaser. Everyone has there own reaction to it, neither is right or wrong. To some, they're hyped as hell because of it, others found the trailer ineffective at creating any excitement for them. To each their own.

I did laugh at Luke's "Maybe it's time for the Jedi to die." line. Yeah, your dad already did that, remember?

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

Hodgepodge posted:

It will probably set the stage for what the Resistance and First Order are up to at the start of the film. Just because we're picking up right where Rey left off doesn't mean we know why people are fighting over whatever planet the war stuff is taking place on.

"Little does Luke know that the FIRST ORDER has secretly begun construction on a new armored space station even more powerful than the first dreaded Starkiller."

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

wyoming posted:

Snoke is Luke's missing hand.

I can see it now: someone found Luke's hand and lightsaber, and while the saber ended up in not-Yoda's possession, someone else took Luke's hand, attempted to clone a Luke, or reverse engineer a Vader (Vaader?) clone from Luke's midichlorians, and we ended up with Snoke

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

AndyElusive posted:

I haven't checked but is there an EU story about the Stormtrooper on the Death Star who bumps his head on the control room blast door when his squad moves in to confront Artoo and Threepio?

Please tell me there is.

It's hereditary. Jango bumps his head on the door entering Slave 1 in AOTC, and it was passed down through his DNA. There is no EU story, this was confirmed by Lucas himself.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

Basebf555 posted:

I love that this could be 100% true or 100% bullshit and I absolutely cannot tell the difference.

I assure you this is 100% true.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

sassassin posted:

There's no drama or conflict in anything he does after the crash landing.

He's just What a pilot!!!

If they had made Max Von Sydow BB8's owner instead of Poe, they could have removed Poe entirely from the film and it wouldn't have affected anything. Finn could have stolen a TIE fighter on his own, still escaped and crashed (since he didn't know how to fly it). Or yet, have him know how to fly it, and have him lead the attack on the Death Star 3.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

El Disco posted:

But then we wouldn't have all this Poe-Finn slashfic.

It would just be replaced with more Finn/Kylo slashfic

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

PostNouveau posted:

Same wampa that attacked Luke gave it to him. Also the wampa is force magic now.

What if Snoke is just a shaved Wampa?

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

tadashi posted:

Have we theorized he's actually the Tauntaun that Han stuffed Luke into to keep him warm? Maul was cut in half and he lived... why not the Tauntaun?

That actually explains a whole lot, like his hatred of both the Solos and the Skywalkers.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

Covok posted:

We are literally discussing loving farming.

Space farming

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

Taintrunner posted:

Letting a freaky frog guy with no diplomatic experience be the senator for your planet?

Do you know who the President of the United States is?

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

If droids are people, then one of the biggest heroes of the series, Han Solo, is a racist.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

https://twitter.com/DeathStarPR/status/859158059314069504

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

PenguinKnight posted:

And then Darth Vader becomes human again and enters into some kind of Benjamin Button scenario, and rebuilds a space station as a kid.

And then is lost into slavery by a Jedi master

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

dialhforhero posted:

Really II, I, III is the actual order

For Indiana Jones

II, I, III, Young Indiana Jones and the Mystery of the Blues is the actual order

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

FlamingLiberal posted:

I love how Palpatine always has that same chair

I love the little spin at the beginning. He knows he utterly in command.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

They wanted a "Western feel", so just have Kasdan take over.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

FlamingLiberal posted:

It does not fit aesthetically at all with the universe.

But characters portrayed by puppets do?

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

I'm just glad Han went back to the vest after the jacket in ESB. The vest rocked.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

El Burbo posted:

Dang, Bossk has some long forearms

It's also quite obvious that the actor can't actually hold anything.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

Beeez posted:

I don't really get why people don't like the Battle Droids, some of the heroes are snarky and quippy during battle, why can't the droids? If the droids were an army of Harrison Fords and nothing else was changed about them, everyone would love them.

I think it's because as consumers of science fiction media, we've been conditioned to see evil robots as cold, emotionless beings, so it's jarring to us when they have personalities. Other than a "gently caress you rear end in a top hat" in T1, do any of the evil Terminators show any emotional responses? But in Star Wars, all of them have these characteristics, so we shouldn't be surprised that the battles droids do. I believe that it's on Cloud City in Empire (though I may be think of the Death Star in SW), where C3PO encounters another protocol droid who seems to be telling 3PO to gently caress off in another language. (3PO: "Hello there." Other droid: Gibberish. 3PO: "How rude!")

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

Serf posted:

I think it's been firmly established that droids are not robots. Your point stands, it's just funny to see how nerds are incapable of understanding this.

To the average film goer a metal being is a robot.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

Jewmanji posted:

Like, one of the first lines in the entire series is a droid lamenting its own suffering. When was the last time your iPod cried to itself about how lovely its life is?

Never. But my Zune on the other hand ...

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

It's being reported that Michael K Williams' character has been completely cut from the Han Solo film, due to unavailability for reshoots.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

Timby posted:

The movie was two weeks away from being done when Lord and Miller were sacked on June 20. It's August 23. Is Howard re-shooting the entire goddamn movie?

I know from watching the docs on the "Superman 2" film that a large percentage of film has to be re-shot by the new director to be "their" film. So if Howard had only come on to do a few pick ups, the film would still be credited to Lord and Miller.

Don't know if that's still the rule.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

well why not posted:

I hope they made Gareth Edwards write an essay on "making huge things look even huger" for the subsequent directors to memorise.

Calling it now: that walker will fall forward on it's 'knees' and spew forth lasers at ground level, thus making it kinda rad.

Wouldn't be surprised at all if that walker stood up on its hind legs at some point.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

Funny thing is the Marvel Darth Vader comic already did this with an evil C-3PO & R2-D2

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

teagone posted:

You know what I think would be cool? George Lucas directing Episode 9.

Seeing how Disney scraped his story lines for eps 7-9 to do their own thing, don't think he'd do this.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

Spacebump posted:

Wes Anderson's Star Wars Episode 9 will include Owen Wilson, Luke Wilson, Bill Murray, and Ben Stiller.

One week before principal photography is done, Disney realizes that Wes Anderson shot a Wes Anderson film, and quickly replaces him Dave Filoni

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

Fart City posted:

Problem with Rogue One is that every time it got to something interesting thematically, it shied away from fully exploring it. Maybe it's just me, but I found the bureaucracy of the Empire and the Rebellion using insurgancy tactics in civilian locations to be far more interesting than the rampant fan service. But sadly, you can't make a good Lego set out of gray morality.

First time I've seen someone wanting more politics in Star Wars

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

RBA Starblade posted:

R2D2 definitely has a dick, and uses it a lot.

C3PO has a dick. It was even on a trading card!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

well why not posted:

She's Vader's daughter, but she's also Padme's and, by adoption, Organa's. Does having 3 good parents outweigh one really bad one?

Now I want a Star Wars version of Maury.

"Vader, you ARE the father!"

• Locked thread