Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Yorkshire Tea posted:

Yes, that well known law where you can't kill a guy who's actively trying to murder you with lightning.

Lightning is a valid form of self-defence as defined by the galactic senate.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Polo-Rican posted:

The big issue with ROTS (and the PT in general, but mostly ROTS) is that the audience knows that Anakin's going to turn... The only question in the audience's mind is "what specifically is going to cause this guy to turn," but the answer is nothing surprising.

ROTS could have been amazing if it was more like Minority Report. Minority Report is built around the premise that we KNOW Tom Cruise is going to murder someone in 2 hours, but the how and why is totally withheld until the last second... the entire film is a slow build to that moment. I'd have loved a ROTS that opened with Vader at some event, and then the film flashes back a week or so, and Anakin is still Anakin, and then the whole film is this waiting game that gets more tense as time goes on.

You can't put a flash forward into a flashback and then flashback again.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

weekly font posted:

The experimental poo poo will come from the one-shot movies. They're gonna play it real close to the vest with the numbered series.

I predict the opposite. The spinoffs will be rote paint-by-numbers (with branded Star Wars crayons) dross and eps 8 & 9 might try to do something with the material after 7 gets a mixed reception.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
When did the jedi look cool?

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

euphronius posted:

I think it is funny though that Lucas leaves one mystery completely unsolved in his film noir movie : who was Sifo Dyas? Totally ignored by obi wan and Yoda.

Never heard of him. I was recruited by a man named Tyranus.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

ShineDog posted:

I just can't understand how anyone can enjoy spending their viewing time watching that loving take on Anakin.

Same but for the cartoons version of Anakin where he's a cool guy badass with healthy relationships and close friends.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

CelticPredator posted:

That heart needs a bypass.

Attack of the Clones was the first time I realized Star Wars can be awful. My dad and I couldn't believe it. It made for a good running joke through out the years. He'd make fun of me for being Anakin when I whined about some dumb kid poo poo.

Your dad's awful and mine could beat him up for sure.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
Why do people care what George Lucas says or thinks?

Just enjoy his movies.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Cnut the Great posted:

What should Yoda have told Anakin instead?

That trying to save her isn't wrong. That accepting loss as inevitable isn't the first course of action. That he is not alone in his struggle.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
No one reads list threads.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Electromax posted:

If a Jedi falls from a high place, can he use the force to not die? I'm holding out hope that Ep. 8 opens with Luke revealing he's been chilling with Mace for 20 years on that island, talking with jedi ghosts and inventing new lightsaber colors.

Luke would not chill with Mace Windu.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Phi230 posted:

thirdly, from a practical perspective, the orc was neither blocking the uruk hai's line of sight nor in its way. The uruk hai went out of its way to destroy its "comrade," interrupting its helping him and sacrificing midwife superiority to just beat down an orc.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
The Hobbit 2 is the best Peter Jackson movie featuring one or more hobbits.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Phi230 posted:

One reason why LOTR set design is superior is that it feels lived in. There is implied history and culture. There is a story to the set.

You're quoting the making of documentaries.

Which makes sense as you seem to expect all film to be documentary, with "realism" being more important than symbolism.

Film is art, and should be interpreted not learned.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Electromax posted:

I find it hard to interpret because stuff like LotR ghosts... are in the story the movie was based on, and it isn't clear who is comparing two stories and who is comparing two film trilogies.

The ghosts don't function in nearly the same way in the books. In fact Peter Jackson changed huge swathes of the original story to make his films, and if you compare them side by side only a few of his scenes closely resemble the source material. Apart from the broadest of strokes of the narrative nothing was really considered "sacred" or outside his purview as director.

Hopefully that makes comparing films a little easier for you.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Shageletic posted:

Yawn let me tell you why a life-less Wing Commander scene is as good as one filmed in real locations, with interesting characters, and heavy emotional moments.

I'd prefer it if you talked about Star Wars tbh

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
How does not knowing what's going to happen in a sequel make it impossible to talk about a film that has actually been released?

Are people waiting till they're all out before watching?

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

rear end Catchcum posted:

Why would Any sith take on a student if you know they gonna murc u eventually

Most of the sith students in the films don't kill their master.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
As a kid I didn't associate anything Jar Jar did with black people, but afterwards people started telling me that's how black people act so showing it in a movie is racist.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
Lucas is more sexist than racist imho.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Cnut the Great posted:

Michael B. Jordan doesn't even bear a passing resemblance to Billy Dee Williams, which is at least somewhat important. Donald Glover is an excellent choice. I can easily see him embodying the Billy Dee vibe.

I've never seen him be smooth in anything so idk.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

ungulateman posted:

the ewoks are basically the 'savage pygmy tribe' trope except as teddy bears, which makes them at minimum as heightist as anything in tpm

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
I don't know, why do people trip over themselves to call things racist?

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Brainiac Five posted:

It's an interesting inversion of the Sword in the Stone, which Arthur lost due to his unrighteous acts and had to replace with the pagan Excalibur, but here the sword itself is the unrighteous thing. I do think Luke will/should reject it.

Everything contained in every Star Wars movie to date says that he can't/won't take it, so tbh the only interesting thing they can do at this point is have Luke grab it and start swinging away while making his own lightsaber noises.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
Luke rejecting the lightsaber proves only that the filmmakers understand Star Wars. They saw Return of the Jedi. Bit deal, so did we.

Luke taking up the lightsaber proves that the filmmakers understand story, making suddenly relevant the question a lot of people are already asking ("What happened to Luke?"). Only even better.

What's happening to Luke?!?

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
All the democratically elected rulers are rich blue blood toffs.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
If you want the EU to be part of your headcanon fill your boots, lad.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Bongo Bill posted:

Paratextual content such as commentary tracks and deleted scenes can provide insight that guides subsequent interpretation.

It can equally mislead. But as long as you can back it up with stuff that actually happens in the films, go nuts.

Scripts are working documents, not the truth behind the legend.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
If I need to read a novel/comic book/script to understand a movie, that movie has failed.

Luckily I don't, it hasn't, and Star Wars is good.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

rear end Catchcum posted:

there is no one talking bad about the han solo movie or the racism that may be in it except in this thread. Like, someone posted a quote, then someone extrapolated people maybe having a race issue with it, then there were like 7 posters talking about racism about it when there was none to begin with! Some of you get a ball and just like to keep rolling it.

Methinks these posters doth protest too much.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
Sorry, meesa thinks.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Zeris posted:

Remember when star war was just about a star war

No.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
Star Wars was always about at least two star wars.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
Those shots look like a rigid impression of the Episode 3 opening.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

feedmyleg posted:

Anakin building C3PO is a truly terrible idea for a whole lot of reasons.

But the one that personally burns the most is that I always loved the idea that R2 and 3PO had been odd-couple companions for thousands of years and had so many adventures that the Skywalkers were but blips in their history. And after Jedi they'd move on to new adventures with new folks and have thousands more years of adventures.

Oh well, I'll always have my old trippy Moebius-inspired Droids comics... :smith:

RIP your headcanon

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Crusader posted:

the starfighter combat scenes are looking fun:

He's enjoying these star wars too much.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
Marvel films (and superhero films in general) are considerably less complex and more predictable than your standard action movie.

Even the most loudly celebrated outlier (Guardians of the Galaxy) in that subset of a genre is an identikit construction with a photoshop filter applied.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

reagan posted:

So this is basically my childhood in movie form? All of the Jedi Knight, X-wing, and TIE Fighter games/novels rolled up into a movie? Yeah, sign me up.

You know what happens to childhoods on movie sets.

Hollywood has a lot to answer for.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
Human drama is more interesting than 'who has the biggest superpower' tactical realism bullshit.

Most of the EU and videogames got this wrong.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

UmOk posted:

I think maybe at the end of the Clone War Yoda discovered degobah and the hallucinogenic mushrooms that made him think he was talking to qui gon. Psychedelic drugs would explain his rapid deterioration into insanity. Then when Luke got to degobah he started eating them and eventually started to see dead people.

Do the force ghosts ever tell them anything they don't already know?

You don't need drugs to get ptsd after years of war end with all your friends and colleagues dead.

Some sort of mental breakdown is inevitable.

• Locked thread