Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
boy, i don't know about you guys, but i love star wars

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
the only cinema sin, is cinema sins

you can buy this joke from me for a nickle

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

Hulk Krogan posted:

Bolded needs to be a thread title somewhere. Probably D&D.

God, it sounds like a star wars line. Its amazing

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
I was rewatching the original trilogy yesterday to get ready for this and I forgot how many snakes there are on Dagobah. Nearly every shot has a snake, and Luke seems to get progressively more and more annoyed with the snakes, its great.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
Poe is so cool.

I mean so is Finn and Rey but Poe gets to fly X Wings so that makes him the coolest though if the other two fly x wings oh boy... i wouldn't know.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
One thing this movie really captures is the feeling of "weight" the original trilogy had. The prequels didn't had this, and it wasn't just because of the CGI, everything in those movies made the world felt really "light" to me.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

Dahbadu posted:

- The planet killer base wasn't so easily dealt with, e.g. more difficult to infiltrate/sabotage with the rebels only able to disable the gun buying themselves some time as opposed to blowing up the whole thing

I was fine with this because of Imagine actually guarding a planet size death star, it would be nearly impossible. Like Death Stars this thing is actually kinda an ineffective weapon when you get down to it, but its easy to overlook because they are just great tools for terror

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
I liked Hux. I want to mention that I like Hux because while Kylo Ren is getting a lot of deserved love, I feel like Hux was cool and I look forward to seeing more Hux.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

mr. mephistopheles posted:

I feel like they didn't do enough with him to really have an opinion but I like Domnhall Gleeson and think he's set up to be a potentially cool character. It would be nice to see more internal fighting between the Sith bros and the military officer bros than the kind of weak suggested way it was in ANH where the Sith bros clearly ran the show.

I think they are setting up something really interesting with both Hux and Kylo Ren being pretty young when you compare them to Vader and Tarkin. I wonder if Hux is going to turn out to be a Tarkin fanboy.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

turtlecrunch posted:

I also thought the First Order was a little too Hitler

I think it makes sense in the universe. Like the Empire had this thing where you could be like yeah I could see people here getting sweep up in it or the universe being so big that you could be born on one planet where the Empire is pretty chill and never realize how horrible they are. So it makes sense the guys still carrying the flag for it after its fall are more fanatical and are even bothering less than the Empire did when it came to protecting its image.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

Wax Tadpole posted:

Do you think it would have been a worthwhile choice to put Captain Phasma in the role of the Stormtrooper with the electric baton? She could've been incapacitated much like how it went down in the actual scene, but it would've given that extra amount of depth the character required,

Ehh, nah. It helps show the First Order forces are a bit more competent in general.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

Aaronicon posted:

boy i can't wait until TRAITOR! 'trooper has a 8000 word article on Wookiepedia

every word is just "badass"

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

Effectronica posted:

H8ful 8 was a better movie than Star Wars Episode VII, let's be absolutely clear here.

Creed > TFA > Hatful 8

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
This thread is pretty funny in the last 3 pages.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

Harime Nui posted:

Creed's a good movie but if you think it's better than Hateful Eight.... it's not

It really is though, Creed was actually probably the best movie of the year.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
Like Creed is what movies are loving about. Its just perfection.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

Totbot posted:

I haven't seen Creed in boycott because I am against one of the production companies involved; New Line Cinema. New Line Cinema also distributed Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles 3, which was a bigger crime against humanity than anything Disney has ever done.

you monster

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

Harime Nui posted:

You seem like you have good taste in the animes but you're kind of a bitch

you monster

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

Harime Nui posted:

well thanks for talking to my face

You are currently taking me too seriously

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
Star Wars threads are always the best threads

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

Nessus posted:

So what's so bad about Hux? Other than being basically the Adventures of Young Hitler.

tarkin jr is a good character

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
God, I love Star Wars!

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
Sure have! Set your phasers to hyperspace!

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
I like how the Rebels show makes everything look even a bit more like McQuarrie's art

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
as someone who dislikes the prequels order 66 just happening is something i like and think was a good thing

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
so how long did this thread actually discuss the new movie? 3 weeks?

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

computer parts posted:

If droids are people, then one of my favorite movies has a slave auction, and that's Not Okay.

droids are people and yeah its a slave auction

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
droids being slaves isn't subtext or anything like that, its just literally text

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

Vintersorg posted:

So we're supposed to care about the thousands of battle droids in the Clone Wars cartoon that get horribly killed each episode?

no, but we aren't suppose to care about the hundreds of storm troopers who get killed in rebels

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
i do care about those storm troopers though, those guys get brutally loving murdered jesus christ

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
battle droids are on the cloud man

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
i always thought darth vader's role was pretty obvious, he probably has an "official" title in the military hierarchy but really he just hangs out and does what the emperor says, but mostly hangs out waiting for the times he can jump in his spaceship and shoot people

tarkin and certain imperials mouth out to him because either they gained his respect and are friends or they are dumb. its not that complicated.

it just changes in empire because its "oh well i better go after luke instead of just shooting spaceships and hanging around"

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
storm troopers are also pretty useless though

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
stop making me defend this bad movies

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
I really want a random battle droid to pop up in one of the new movies, working with the resistance or something. That would be kinda neat.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
Again, that line also applies he has no respect for the stormtroopers though

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
Like it is possible for Lucas to have both "robots are people" and "certain characters are just canon fodder" floating around in his head. Droids are people, storm troopers are people, but both are canon fodder Lucas can't be arse about in the end of the day.

Stop making me defend these bad movies.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
Like you have basically stormtroopers who are faceless due to their helmets, the battledroids and clones who are faceless because they literally all have the same face, and now you have the new storm troopers who start out as individuals but are forcibly shaped by into being faceless numbers.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

Tezzor posted:

Well, not much, but it does indicate that he thinks Stormtroopers are less incompetent than battle droids. It also indicates that he thinks a huuuuge battle where a ton of them get destroyed is going to be totally awesome and not a terrible tragedy like most people who are not loving insane and weep over dead pretend robots we have no reason to care about at all

That is because its not a tragedy. I am not arguing that bit of crazy thought.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

Tezzor posted:

Prequel apologism

lol

• Locked thread