Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Now with fewer rules! (for now, let's see how long that lasts)

Thread Rules.

1 - No Korra
2 - No Dr. Who
3 - Here's the IRC link if you want it for some reason - http://client00.chat.mibbit.com/?channel=%23satviv&server=irc.synirc.net

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Triple posting when you just got let back into the thread? Are you looking to kicked out so soon again?

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

DivisionPost posted:

What the gently caress apparently Playing House was renewed for Season 3.

God sometimes shows his love to us.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Yeah, everyone has said for years that cable would be fine if you could could pick and choose what channels you paid for. Now it's pretty much going to happen. Just not through the cable company.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

James Woods Fan posted:

Legends Of Tomorrow looks as terrible as the other comic book shows.

I like the other two shows, well Flash less so, but yeah it doesn't look that great. I think they've reached the point where they're trying to do too much.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Ravane posted:

5 dollars for HBO

There wishing for something and then there's being delusional. You've just crossed that line.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

muscles like this? posted:

Reminder that starting in an hour and a half TBS is going to marathon the entire first season of Angie Tribeca over 25 hours (there are only ten episodes so they're showing it five times.)

I would recommend skipping out on that. Having seen the first episode it commits the number one unforgivable sin that a parody/farce can commit. It tries way way way too hard.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

DivisionPost posted:

Angie Tribeca loving rocks BTW

Is the first episode not a good indicator of the quality of the show? Because it was like someone saw Police Squad and tried really hard to imitate it but just didn't get what worked about it. I mean I love parody and I thought it was godawful. Which is a shame because it has a talented cast. It's just trying way too heard and forcing cliche jokes (the fake CSI intro) and repeating terrible jokes that didn't land the first time (the ridiculous faux Ford.com product placements).

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

The third season of Happy Endings was such a step down from season two that I wasn't that torn up about it when it was cancelled. And in season two it was my favorite comedy on the air.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

It's time to play Good News/Bad News.

Good News: Shawn Ryan and Eric Kripke are getting together and making a show that is being described as “Back To The Future meets Mission: Impossible”
Bad News: NBC won the bidding war for it so we'll only ever get maybe 8 episodes of it.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Everyone should be warned that any show that comes from Freeform is really just ABC Family, which is a sign of it not being any good.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Hey Toxx, I know it's especially hard for you because it's your natural state of being, but quit being an rear end in a top hat. And knock off the double posting. If you have more meaningless nonsense that you forgot to ramble on about in one post use the edit button and don't immediately make another post.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Seems that Corey Hawkins, most recently seen in Straight Outta Compton and The Walking Dead, has been cast as the lead in the new 24 Spinoff.

http://deadline.com/2016/01/24-legacy-corey-hawkins-cast-male-lead-jack-bauer-straight-outta-compton-1201690060/

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Back? It's just premiering. The pilot leaked last year but it's just now on TV.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

The reason people think that is because they wanted that to be the answer so much so they could say they called it in season one. And the answer was never literally said out loud on the show by one of the characters so that gave them the go ahead to be dumb.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Rocksicles posted:

There better be a Colony thread going soon, poo poo's getting intense. Your man hasn't aged a day since Freckles.

I'm a sucker for a show like this.

It's way better than I expected it to be. And Josh Holloway and Sarah Wayne Callies are really good in it.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

hcreight posted:

If it's anything like the current Archie books being produced, Riverdale is going to more or less be a straightforward teen drama but with Archie characters in it.

Alternatively, if they based it on Afterlife with Archie, I'd totally be okay with that.

It's actually being made by the same guy writing Afterlife with Archie and is said to be Archie meets Twin Peaks.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

EL BROMANCE posted:

There was an American Crime Story series last year on network too, right? Related and any good? Or am I confusing two series'?

American Crime season one was very good. Possibly one of the best network shows in years and about as close to cable quality as you're going to get from the networks these days.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

I loved the first season and thought the second season completely blew it away. (Of Manhattan that is, since we're on another page now)

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

James Woods Fan posted:

If I greatly enjoyed Black Sails season 1, would I enjoy Vikings season 1? I saw the pilot and thought it was alright.

Black Sails is really good. Vikings is exceptional.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Yoshifan823 posted:

I've been a lovely TV fan over the last few years, but since I have DirecTV and a DVR now, I want to keep up with some stuff. I've already decided on The People v OJ Simpson, and I'm gonna try to get caught up on American Crime (the other one). What's some stuff starting now (or that started within the last couple months that gets replayed a lot) that I should keep up with. I don't want to just jump into stuff that's been airing for a while (my internet connection is such that I can't really stream stuff anymore, hence the DVR), but I'm looking for a nice variety.

I'm totally gonna watch The Flash again too. That's the only show I kept up with last year, aside from Parks and Rec.

Watch Colony. Don't watch Flash.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

HorseRenoir posted:

Another one? Didn't they already have a spinoff that got cancelled after one season?

This one stars Gary Sinese. Surely he can carry a(nother) successful show on CBS for 10 years or so which nobody ever remembers exists.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

If some basic cable network wanted to show a program with uncensored language they're free to do it. But they don't do it because of advertisers. FCC does have a say in what they consider obscenity on cable, but that doesn't cover language. AMC can show an episode with 50 "fucks" in it if they're confident advertisers won't pull the plug but the FCC will step in if they try to show any actual loving basically.

quote:

Do the FCC's rules apply to cable and satellite programming? In the past, the FCC has enforced the indecency and profanity prohibitions only against conventional broadcast services, not against subscription programming services such as cable and satellite. However, the prohibition against obscene programming applies to subscription programming services at all times.

https://www.fcc.gov/reports-research/guides/obscenity-indecency-profanity-faq

X-O fucked around with this message at 07:33 on Feb 9, 2016

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

DivisionPost posted:

He co-created American Gods with Michael Green.

Michael Green created and ran Kings.

However it works out, it's gonna work out fine.

That show is just doubling down on early cancellation huh?

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Aphrodite posted:

It was always atrocious.

Indeed. It looks exactly like it did years ago. If you liked it then and don't like that it's you that changed (for the better) not the show.

zoux posted:

You guys wanna hear a hotass take from me?

The Last Kingdom is what Vikings tried to be and failed.

Vikings is great. Last Kingdom was good enough filler between seasons of Vikings.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

boom boom boom posted:

everybody talks about Sex House and Porkin' Across America, but Lake Dredge Appraisal is the best thing the Onion's done.

Well yes because the latter is actually funny unlike the former two.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Hey someone make a bad pun joke about Vinyl going out of style.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Obviously it would've been more popular if switched out Jagger with a Beatle.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Colony is really good and I hope it never deals directly with the aliens or whoever the invading for is. It's much better being not about that.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Ravane posted:

Man, they really only had one good episode of X-Files.

Well 1/6 seems like it's keeping with X-Files tradition.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

zoux posted:

Well maybe if CBS made it possible to catch up on shows that initially seemed to be can't miss garbage bullshit

It's rather easy to catch up on the show legally for a small fee. Free even if you can binge it in a week.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Ravane posted:

Did Legends of Tomorrow ever get better?

It's not Flash bad, but it's not good except when Wentworth Miller is on screen.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

The 100 is really good. What I saw of Gotham was really bad. Flash might be worse than that now though.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Hakkesshu posted:

The first season of The 100 starts out horrible and gets slightly better but I wouldn't call it good. Season 2 is good though. I don't know why Toxx has to constantly bring up that show and the people who like it.

Toxx is unfortunately a broken poster at this point and I may have played some role in that by making him watch hours upon hours of terrible television and write about it. A reminder to everyone that all actions have consequences no matter if they seem like the right call to make at the time.

And back to actual TV stuff. This is a thing that is being made for some reason.

quote:

Brian d’Arcy James (Spotlight, NBC’s Smash) has been cast as the co-lead opposite Jermaine Fowler in Superior Donuts, CBS’ multi-camera comedy pilot written/executive produced by The Odd Couple showrunner Bob Daily and Community alums Neil Goldman & Garrett Donovan.

Based on the play by Tracy Letts, Superior Donuts follows the relationship between the owner of a donut shop, Arthur (James), his new young employee, Franco (Fowler), and their patrons in a gentrifying neighborhood of Chicago. As Arthur’s new (and only) employee, Franco’s going to make it his mission to drag the shop — and Arthur, a typically gruff, to-the-point Chicagoan and the patriarch to his loyal customers — into the 21st century…

http://deadline.com/2016/03/brian-darcy-james-star-superior-donuts-cbs-pilot-1201712757/

Superior Donuts! CBS does it again!

X-O fucked around with this message at 11:24 on Mar 2, 2016

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

raditts posted:

I quit keeping up with Flash a couple of months ago because it was boring and everyone started getting whiny and broody. Has it gotten any better? ...has it gotten worse?

So much worse.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

bull3964 posted:

None of that is unique to season 2 though. Like Flash or not like Flash, I just wish people would quit inventing some massive change in quality for shows that didn't happen. This goes for ALL shows, not just Flash.

These people just need to admit they got bored with the show and move on. Instead it gets turned into some huge diatribe against the direction the show is taking and how it had a gigantic decline in quality. No, it's the same show it anyways was, it just lost the new show smell.

I was saying basically the same things people are saying now during the last half of season one. It's just the season decided to double down on the stupidity and hasn't had any of the cool stuff that distracted most people last year.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

boom boom boom posted:

Tonight, on Gotham; Gordon faces his most dangerous foe yet. An assassin with this foot long metal pipe he screws together, and then a six inch spike shoots out the end. It stays attached to the pipe, it doesn't fire out like a gun. So he can only kill people with it by holding it right up to their eyeball.

He's the most dangerous hitman in Gotham.

Sounds better than balloon man at least.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

muscles like this? posted:

It looked like they were going to with the first half of season 2 but instead they swerved into the Order of St Dumas.

Wow, you can make a much worse swerve than that.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

IRQ posted:

Do you people sleep?

I slept early yesterday and watched the first four last night before coming in to work, I think they were better than almost all of last season. My plan is to get off work a little early today. Go home and sleep and wake up late to watch another four or so. Maybe I'll finish it by Sunday.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

BJPaskoff posted:

I caught about two minutes of some DC superhero show my brother was watching (I think it was Supergirl), and it confirmed the reasons for my apprehension to watch any superhero TV show: the dialog. Is there a way that writers can write villain dialog without pulling directly from the Joss Whedon School of Snark? The scene was some blue girl warps in and sees two people making out and vomits up this great line: "I would kill you, but your planet is going to burn up in three days anyway. :smug: Uuuuuuuggggh I can't believe I'm in the same world as Candy Crush! :barf:"

I already had this impression that superhero shows would feature bad acting, a much lower budget (particularly SFX) than they needed for the scope of a superhero who saves the world, and "witty" dialog. Joss Whedon-esque dialog, where every character shares the same voice (smug sarcastic banter) is the reason I didn't like Firefly, Buffy, or most of the dialog in The Avengers. Is all the dialog in Supergirl, The Flash, Agents of SHIELD, and Legends of Tomorrow like this?

All the DC shows have terrible dialogue except for iZombie, where the dialogue is pretty great. Agents of SHIELD has much better dialogue than the other DC shows but it's still kind of got that Whedon snark at times, but not nearly as overbearing.

• Locked thread