Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.

Main Paineframe posted:

That's because those people lack anything more than a superficial sense of nuance, and are so busy rushing to a kneejerk response based on what they already believed to be the case that they miss crucial details. Can you really not think of any other differences between the two situations besides political alignment when you complain that OWS was evicted by local police from privately-owned property after two months, but these assholes have yet to face a major crackdown from federal agents after occupying federal land for four days? Clearly the only reason that the FBI isn't treating these guys out in the woods the same way the NYPD treats black people is because of skin color, there's no other possible reason that federal authorities aren't committing the same atrocities that totally unrelated law enforcement agencies have used in a few cherry-picked instances!

part of it might be that Occupy Wall Street didn't have Guns and say that They are Willing to Die for Their cause

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

Anosmoman posted:

Just build a wall around it and invoice them for the cost.

We should be making them build the wall

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

i say we should just shoot them. What do you all think

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

LeoMarr posted:

Yes the government should flagrantly gun down dissidents.

I Agree

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

https://twitter.com/KATUNews/status/692163404673478657

I told you

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

marshalljim posted:

Hey, all right. Hopefully nobody is hurt.

:nallears:

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

RIP the bundy occupation: died when a militant saw another one with a cup of coffee and opened fire

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

https://twitter.com/occupied_burns/status/692165321684324352

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

https://twitter.com/occupied_burns/status/692166254895960064

https://twitter.com/occupied_burns/status/692166958696042498

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

fade5 posted:

I have rather bad news for them about the average life expectancy of someone who's position can be described as "#2 in [x] terrorist group".:v:

:getin:

no, "get out"

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

I wanna see some BLOOD where's the blood

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

Killer-of-Lawyers posted:

https://twitter.com/LesZaitz/status/692170478425935876

Wasn't he the guy involved with the last stand off? The one behind setting up snipers and poo poo?

I hope he's okay so he can go to loving Jail

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

i got banned from pete santilli's livestream after saying "LET'S WACO THIS poo poo" in the live chat

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

Telsa Cola posted:

Correct, Prolly already a counter sniper team in place looking at the tower, its not like its a concealed place or anything.

Or they could just tie a rope to it and make it fall down

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

Sir Unimaginative posted:

And then you're missing a fire tower in scrub land. Leaving the refuge vulnerable to fire because of how you dealt with people protesting a sentence in an arson conviction would be a poetic gaffe.

You can build a fire tower with a pile of lumber, some ropes and pulleys, and bolts

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

one dead

https://twitter.com/LesZaitz/status/692179439594135552

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

https://twitter.com/LesZaitz/status/692179522968494080

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

red19fire posted:

That's the important thing to remember, these are untrained military cosplayers. They are the Dunning-Kruger effect with a gun. There's a VICE report about the patriot movement showing them demonstrating 'weeks worth of combat training' and it was barely Day 1 stuff I learned in a 2 week course in 2005, while the military was still trial-and-erroring its way through a second Fallujah invasion.

$30 radio by china, $10 gloves by Home Depot, $1500 rifle by Bushmaster

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

https://twitter.com/JohnLGC/status/692183097421471744

now I feel sorta bad for ironically calling for blood, but Christ, what an rear end in a top hat

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

Apoplexy posted:

Every single one of these militants deserve to be loving executed, no trial. Just shot point-blank in the loving head after they're captured, surrender or no.

I think they should go to Jail

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

Intel&Sebastian posted:

My god

Waco,oo

haha

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

https://twitter.com/LesZaitz/status/692192654378078208

"defend our peaceful resolution" means "they'll never take us alive" doesn't it

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

can we stop calling them the Bundy Militia and start calling them the Bundy Bunch?

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

Rodenthar Drothman posted:

Late to the game on this one, but they're hiking 15 miles in? Someone get these gents a

I'm not going in after this one. Point Reyes was enough. Oregon's too loving cold. Someone else'll have to get it.

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

the ending to all of this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u61F_qvdid0

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

i hope the dogs are ok

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

https://twitter.com/occupied_burns/status/692292605925810176

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

Basically what we have is a bunch of nuts, a bunch of cops, and some really rank journalists

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

Grem posted:

Um, name one better?

The USPIS do not gently caress around

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

ashpanash posted:

This is a humor website?

There's a front page.

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

who brings a .38 special to an FBI fight

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

Subterfrugal posted:

I’ve replayed that video about 20 times, full screen and paused repeatedly and here’s what I think:

1) Mark McConnell (the driver of the other vehicle) is a liar. He posted a Facebook video claiming about Finicum: “He charged at law enforcement”. How convenient that he would put that out there so fast, especially considering he was about a MILE AWAY when Finicum was shot. I’m not suggesting he was in cahoots with the FBI, but it sure seems like the Feds tried hard to gain control of the narrative before other witnesses (like the 18-yr old girl) put out their version of events...

2) This was not a good shoot. The FBI spokesman tried to make it sound like proper protocol was followed for using lethal force by pointing out that Finicum nearly hit an agent or officer when he went off the road and that they had reports that the occupants were armed. He even mentioned that they found two .223 semiautomatic rifles and a handgun in the truck, and Finicum was found to have a loaded 9mm handgun in the left pocket of his jacket that he appeared to reach toward with his right hand a couple of times. But the fact that the gun was IN HIS POCKET — and not in his hand — proves that nobody was in imminent danger of being shot by Finicum at the time he was killed. And if you listened closely to the spokesman, he was always referring to the State guys — NOT the FBI — with respect to who did the shooting while he gave lip service to the standard justifications. He wasn’t enthusiastic in the defense of the behavior of the State guys: it was more like he was giving typical cop court testimony — careful to use the correct weasel words that might leave you with a certain impression if you’re not paying attention, but without any outright falsification of the facts.

3) The very first report of this in the media referred to the operation as a “traffic stop”. Sure, the initial stop with the vehicles behind could be called that, but what Finicum encountered up the road was a ROADBLOCK and an ambush. The guy that shot him came out of the trees on the left. And the person who was nearly hit (and he nearly was — you can see him climbing back to his feet after diving into the snow) very obviously jumped in front of the truck and looked to be aiming a weapon at it.

4) If you watch very carefully, just before Finicum “takes off” from the initial stop, you can see two separate light flashes in the picture. I can’t say what they are, but the girl said that they took off after someone shot at them and missed. I think I might believe that part of her story.

5) Finicum is driving about 60 mph or more, I would guess, from the fact that he is taking the corners almost in the center of the road. You can see him hit the brakes about 4 seconds before he runs off the road — which looks like he was trying to avoid hitting the roadblock which he couldn’t see until then because they set it up after a BLIND CURVE. Hmmm... a roadblock set up a mile away from a “traffic stop” (with gunshots?) after a blind curve, and with guys in the road and in the woods with guns pointed at him. How convenient.

I think the FBI put this out there because of the instant blowback from the 18-yr old’s recounting of events. I’m sure they don’t like being called murderers (they certainly deserved it after Waco and Ruby Ridge) but they appear to be going out of their way to look professional here. I also think that they played the basic “Oh, look — guy with a gun — oh, no! Scary!” meme that gets lots of coverage by the idiot, panty-waist media and helps distract from the important issues. But most of all, I think they were quick to release this so that anyone could see that the Oregon State guy, and not the FBI was the trigger-happy instigator in this case.

I would hope that a County, State or Federal official would immediately demand the arrest of the shooter on a manslaughter charge (and leave open the possibility for additional charges as the official investigation proceeds). From what I can see, there is no rational reason for letting someone walk free just because they were wearing a uniform at the time of the killing.
FREEP

ok now that i am looking at this in the reply box i can see the "freep" bit and i don't have to quote part of point #2 with a drugs emote

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

ok i think we've had enough of watching someone die for one day, thanks

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

something I didn't see mentioned here - apparently it was an Oregon State Police officer who shot Finicum, not an FBI agent.

What's the opposite of a feather in your hat? Because that bit is that for the whole militia thing.

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

UrbicaMortis posted:

I wonder how the ideology twists in different countries. I say this because I'm british and had to deal with a native sovcit. I work at an energy company and one of our customers demands to be called by the whole 'of the family' thing and wanted us to pay them in silver for taking meter readings.

Obviously some of the stuff will be the same but since they don't have any cultural baggage to do with the American Civil War, I wonder if they place emphasis on different areas of their crazy ideas as opposed to those in the US.
IIRC the "freeman-on-the-land" variety is more common in Canada and the UK. That long document from the Canadian judge talked about a guy who cited the UCC in Canadian court because he thought it was the "universal commercial code".

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

They wish to negotiate because it's totally unfair that they didn't get to leave before the deadline and they want a do-over

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

i'm pro-radicalization. let's let everyone who's susceptible to radicalization radicalize, attempt something stupid, and get arrested

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

Edit:

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

Mr. Belding posted:

RAM SACKED

edit: I love these people because I keep learning new words and pronunciations to use in my hillbilly/yokel schtick.

nobody else commented on it but my favorite new thing to come out of this whole thing is country singer Johmney Cash

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

Rodenthar Drothman posted:

(Pro tip: if anyone invites you over for passover, don't go. Unless you're shtupping them. Then you kinda have to.
Just choke that horseradish down.)

Ignore this poster, he's trying to trick you and keep all the matzo ball soup and latkes for himself

• Locked thread