Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Looking from the outside in, I really don't know why these dumb asses haven't been arrested/sieged yet. In any other country they would have been contained day one and considered terrorist/criminals and dealt with accordingly. Did the terrorists win in your country all those years ago? Is everyone waiting for the 14 day camper rules to pass before doing anything? What a loving Farce on both sides.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Geostomp posted:

They're white and right wing which means that they're afraid that doing anything will make the growing number of other insane conservatives angry. That and these idiots really, really want this to turn into a standoff so they can indulge their fantasies and/or become maytrs.

So the terrorist won?

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

A Saucy Bratwurst posted:

All we've seen is them pick a bag up from the top of a disorganised box and read the label, and then say they want to do this right. All it takes is someone in charge to realise this is a perfect press opportunity and something good will happen here.

You're concern trolling the concern trolling. They have no right to be there. They claim to be cultural guardians for the very people they have pissed off by going through literal poo poo that isn't theirs, claiming land that isn't theirs, destroying property that isn't theirs, threaten people with violence, made wild insane statements and you think this is a Good PR Opportunity. Piss off.

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Even if the Rats were packing UZIs on a mission from God to destroy poop and Native American cultural items it wouldn't matter. They would have found the problem when they first opened the refuge and dealt with it back then because losing your research to rats kind of sucks and fucks up your funding. Not wait until someone breaks into your place so they can graciously point these out to. Now shut up about the drat rats.

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

quote:

They were untouched and secured. Photographed and as I called my fiancé and asked her how do we be as respectful as possible to let the Honorable Paiute people get them back .......and I will defer to her advice. We will say a prayer to Our Creator......and we will remove the filth that they were laying in after we have fully recorded them. They are primarily in plastic bags, so the actual dirt does not appear to have touched them. It is my intention to do so and to advise Ammon that I believe after this they should be offered to the Paiute people as a token of our friendship, our respect, and our commitment to unite in a common cause which is to place control of these matters unto local people.

Wait, they are bagging poop/dirt and sending it out as a gesture of goodwill and friendship. They have crossed the line and we can clearly send used sex toys with faecal matter on them.

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Everything is blow back including nothing and breathing : Prester John

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Prester John posted:

You are missing the point. Bush channeled their rage and aimed it against Muslims/brown people. Bush was a good leader doing a tough job to these people, they were the 30% that approved of him no matter what.

Clinton/Obama did not direct that rage against a foreign "other", so that rage was instead directed against them.

Incidentally, the Bush family has been instrumental in quitely supporting the networks that breed extremists like these.

Bombing Brown people is an acceptable solution to right wing domestic terrorism? I know it's wrong but it got a good laugh out of me.

You are setting too higher goals to even consider a useful solution. Zero blow back isn't a reasonable goal especially doing nothing is already generating blow back.

Look there are no clean ways to "Win" against irrational people. No matter what you do they will see it as a win. If they had been blockaded day one like in any other country this would have ended weeks ago when the story was red necks take wildlife refuge. A blockade will still work now, but it's going to take a lot longer as they have more supplies and have spun up a narrative to hold on to no matter how insane it might be.

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I hope someone lets off some fire crackers so they can fight the darkness.

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
It is "Always" the final war.

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

chitoryu12 posted:

This is definitely true, having looked at the site. If you want to see what the area is, go to Google Earth or something at the coordinates 43°15′55″N 118°50′39″W. The wildlife refuge is set right in the middle of a gigantic open plain, with only a fairly small hill along one side that isn't practically flat land for miles around. You'd need enough cops to literally surround the refuge in a 360 degree circle to effectively blockade it.

I don't know how big your perimeter or how dense it is, but there is a stream that runs north south then east west that has roads running across them as natural chock points. Then a handful of roads running in and out from the south. Bock them off and you are pretty much sorted as anybody taking the plains are going to have to move slowly unless they want to wreak their vehicle. At 5 people per road block that's 25 guys a shift. If you want to reduce your manpower you can even block off some of the roads with dirt. You can cut it down even more if you use armoured vehicles which would allow an even tighter perimeter.

It wouldn't be physically airtight, but you would spot anyone trying to leave or enter so you can respond.

You are setting your goals too high so you can say you can't hit them.

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
If there were enough people to occupy a second site they would have done so already. Doing it on private land doesn't make the same statement and isn't illegal. The Rancher hosting them would end up financially ruined over not paying grazing fees and probably find their ability to do business restricted.

Blocking them off gives you control over supplies, information, movement, therefore gives you the upper hand on any negotiation. You can't eat bullets for food. Because they have taken so long to respond, a blockade now would take a much longer time to resolve than the first couple days where they were completely unprepared.

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Roland Jones posted:

Actually, how's Cliven Bundy doing post-standoff? I haven't heard of financial ruination visiting him despite his actions, though I suppose it could just be a thing that wasn't focused on. He definitely wasn't ruined over grazing fees because he never had to pay those.

Also, topic of not paying fees, despite that big show the militants put on only one rancher actually tore up his contracts apparently. I wonder how that's going to go. (Probably nowhere because no one is punishing these guys.)

If they actually prosecuted him this likely wouldn't have happened in the first place. Supposedly they have been "Building" a case for 2 years but at this point I feel that they have tanked the case for reasons. Laws aren't worth poo poo if you don't enforce them.

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Discendo Vox posted:

including attempts to blockade the compound (which, again, isn't particularly feasible)

This is BS, stop repeating it. Despite being on a fairly flat area there are a number of natural choke-points and the off road terrain is rough enough that anybody attempting to do so will be seen a mile away and intercepted. You don't need to form a literal physical wall to form an effective blockade. The likely reason it hasn't happened is politics, not any LE, manpower, funding/tactical reasons.

A lot of people here has brought into their narrative, therefore play by their insane rules. Prester John in particular as his solution is effectively letting entropy sort it out. Oh, we will go after them "eventually", but waiting for that moment is stupid as you already have cause for it and can create your own moment. At this point you waited so long to take the shot it's moved and grown bigger. Terrorist are going to be terrorist no matter what you do. Arrest them, give them a fair trial and have them face the consequences they so richly reaped.

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Prester John posted:

It's hard to arrest a pile of corpses, which is pretty much the only way the seditionists will be removed by force. All your approach will do is create a spate of martyrs in the age of social media. It would also turn Burns into a favorite target of right wing terrorists for the next decade.

For now violence will only make the situation worse. That will change, but we are not at that point yet.

I said arrest them, not turn them into a pile of corpses before trying to. If you want to arrest corpses be my guest, but that isn't what I asked for.

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Prester John posted:

There is no way to arrest them without a signifigantly portion of them becoming corpsified. They aren't going to lay down their guns and surrender, they will shoot first and blame the Federal government.

Who What Now this isn't about whatever narrative the seditionists create for themselves. You are correct that they will tell themselves they won no matter what. This is about reducing the number of borderline cases that the fallout from this inspires to cross that mental line and become violent themselves. Waiting for now is about reducing the number of future violent incidents. It is a lovely option, but it is the least lovely option in the Kobayashi Maru situation that the FBI finds itself in at presemt.

Who said the cops had to return fire? They don't have RPGs. Park some armoured vehicles for them to shoot at. Make it their choice whether they become corpses or not. If you are going to wait them out, wait them out to your rules. If they were blockaded on the outset they would be starving by now. Now it's going to take a lot longer.

Nothing about is a Kobayashi Maru. It is a narrative you have spun up to ensure there is never an acceptable solution. You keep tying this down with crazy high goals and absurd restrictions playing to their insane rules. You have to enforce the rule of law. Is the United States of America a country or what?

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

As a Millennial I posted:

Yeah! Or flood the place with sleeping gas! What other obvious solutions haven't these FBI idiots thought of?

Why bother with sleeping gas when you can use VX nerve agents? Atleast be horrifyingly funny about it if you're going to be pointlessly sarcastic.

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
They didn't cut the power because they didn't have the political will or any plan to do anything what so ever. It had nothing to do with whether they have the ability to do so or not. They could have spared the other ranches or provided alternate solutions, but nope, do absolutely nothing.

OAquinas posted:

Uh, pretty sure using chemical weapons on our own civilians (even batshit crazy ones) is still considered a Bad Thing in polite society. At least with the "Sleeping gas" (no such thing, etc) you can claim the fig leaf of "trying to be nonlethal"

Your sarcasm meter broken?

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Discendo Vox posted:

You "put up a perimeter" (not actually possible), other people in town start shooting. This has been explained to you multiple times. Incredibly, your ability to study google maps and come up with tactilol ideas for strategic containment isn't quite as good as that of the FBI.

Stop pushing this BS. A blockade has always been an option and screaming Waco is self hostageing thought process.

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

So do nothing ever cause maybe violence ever? Never stopped you guys going after any other group that have threaten violence real, fabricated or non-existent. I guess rule of law is out and violence is the only law anybody should follow. It's Natural Law right?

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Do anyone know if that barrel of Sex Lube ever arrive?

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Label them terrorist like you managed to do to just about anyone else.

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
About bloody time this embarrassment ended. Gee, I guess enforcing laws work. Oh look roadblocks!

I assume any assault or blockade plans would take that tower into account. Roll up in armoured cars, have someone set up an over watch with MG or snipers on the tower as others approach, if they loses his poo poo, grease him, then offer to extract them for medical treatment. There is no cover up there. Demand they descend immediately under threat of force. If they come down, that's great, if they stay up continue overwatch. It's value for "intel" is worthless if the situation is hopeless with feds just rumbling up with a big show of obvious force.

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
The FBI assault consists of this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Y1uswIGJ4U

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
International news now.

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-35416516

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
The Feds want them to leave but might be looking to pick them off at the road blocks they have set up away from the site. Defeat in detail.

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I wonder if anybody is dumb enough to fly a plane in to pick some of them up.

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

sparatuvs posted:

"this is a message to all militias, broken arrow, broken arrow."

wtf?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ctnK7wdJmAo

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
If there are people making bulletproof tarps, this would be a golden PR op.

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
It's almost disappointing how quickly they shattered.

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
So what's their gameplan when the Feds get there? Sit on their asses? Shoot it out come day time? Charge of the light brigade on those dogs? Suicide? Airlift?

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

STAC Goat posted:

I think they expect the FBI to just murder them in a hail of gunfire.

They are so getting tear gased.

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

LOL

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

What? The FBI isn't even there yet. Hungry and out of water already?!

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Captain Bravo posted:

NTA is talking about a "dozer", did the feds bring a killdozer?

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Anosmoman posted:

How the gently caress did they run out of food with a month of preparation.

Another question is how they run out of water. Place is feed by a well.

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
If I was the FBI I would troll them with random tear gassings.

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

As a Millennial I posted:

Real? Bullshit? Who knows

LOL
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sd5ZLJWQmss
Even if there is such a thing, there is no end game where they all get killed.

If I wanted to extract them, by air is their best bet. They still highly likely to get caught, but a drat sight better than Operation Market Garden:Redneck Edition.

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Did those cops have a deathwish standing in each others line of fire?

New thread title: TarpMan too dumb to live.

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Grem posted:

I was half expecting the C130 mission irl after I saw the perspective.

Chunky Salsa would have been more interesting if nothing else.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I am still waiting on that rumoured convoy that's going to A-Team them reinforcements or extract them.

• Locked thread