Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Diarrhea Elemental
Apr 2, 2012

Am I correct in my assumption, you fish-faced enemy of the people?
Here's to hoping I can get my prereqs done at this CC in Baltimore county and catch one of the BCHS classes at UW MEDEX before the AAPA de-certs Bachelors level physician assistant programs by Jan 1st 2020. Otherwise it's a struggle between getting something like a Kinesiology (Athletic Trainer or Exercise Science) degree then one of the Masters level PA programs with $kidneys in loans or going the nursing route and getting my BSN with something mid level provider-ey in the nebulous future. Really hoping that one of the PA routes works out though, I definitely dig the medical model a lot more than the nursing one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Diarrhea Elemental
Apr 2, 2012

MurderBot posted:

nursing sucks, do PA if you can. the midlevel practitioner in nursing isn't bad, but i've never really been wow'd by any of the Nurse practitioners I've worked with unless they were pediatric nurse practitioners.

If not, you may look at a PhD in Kinesiology? You can be a GA/lab assistant and get your entire tuition paid for, some programs have small but appropriate stipends, you can work on the side if you wish and if you got military fun bucks coming your way then that makes life that much easier. roughly 7 years total of butt peepin, and your research can be from anything like how to make athletes faster, to trying to solve medical conditions such as CHF, COPD to kidney disease.

Then you can be professor butt peepin status, and assign seating closest to the front of the room based on yoga pant butt hotness.

Yeah, the educational specificity of NPs doesn't really do it for me when comparatively PAs can do whatever the gently caress your MDs will train them for and sign off on.

While kinesiology and sports medicine are always going to be serious interests of mine, I doubt that I'd ever go past a BS in it. Professor butt peepin status or not the salary cut for that vs even entry-level PAs is huge, plus only working 10 days every 3 weeks gives me a chubby just thinking about it.

E: Setting the Tinder age range to 18-40 in the more affluent sections of Baltimore County is loving hilarious. I'm pretty sure I'm gonna end up railing out some lonely soccer moms after they send their kids off to catch the bus.

Diarrhea Elemental fucked around with this message at 19:14 on Jan 14, 2016

Diarrhea Elemental
Apr 2, 2012

MurderBot posted:

That's a very fair point. However, there's a handfull of degree's out there *kinesiology being one of them* that a bachelors doesn't really help you all that much, so having a masters or a PhD in a department where the majority of actual money flow is in research really helps. Bachelors in Kinesiology people do athletic training, work in doctors labs doing stress tests on old ladies or sell exercise equipment for $30k/year. While the professorship of 80k/year isn't all that great, you get to decide on what you want to research, so if you get raging boners on crossfit kind of stuff, there's enough unanswered questions on how to injure yourself the right way that you can research.

gently caress, I need to find a good PhD program, jonesing for those sweet sweet research subjects.

Well if I have a nervous breakdown trying to fit 2/3rds of med school into two years, I know what my fallback plan will be.

Diarrhea Elemental
Apr 2, 2012

MurderBot posted:

Wasn't designated at you, PA is a legit way to go, just saying that if you pursue a degree that doesn't really have much of an entry level field with an opportunity for advancement its worth going for that higher degree.

P.S nurses are willing to go down on PA'S from behind so don't fail out to get that sweet nursing poonani

Oh I know, it's just I'm not harboring any illusions about PA school despite any confidence I have in my own abilities. It is legitimately nice to be able to dedicate your focus towards one goal while knowing if you don't hit it you still have some fall-back plans drawn up for a rainy day, and kinesiology fits my interests pretty well.

And the nurse thing? Please. Single, early 30s, making high five low six figures, hopefully no student debt, and I take picking things up and putting them down to an extreme.

Probably going to end up marrying either a neurotic cat lady RN or an emotionally distant MD whose mother's nagging about her biological clock is finally getting to her.

E: Oh yeah, first class back after a decade off is loving Math 083. The same subject that was the starting point for my original downward spiral in college which led to me enlisting. Oh yeah, and it's the winter mini-semester so the class is actually 11 days over 3 weeks. By the way this last week is literally test 2 on Tuesday, learn some more new poo poo Wednesday, then review for an hour on Thursday before taking the final. gently caress.

:suicide::suicide::suicide::suicide::suicide::suicide:

Diarrhea Elemental fucked around with this message at 08:18 on Jan 15, 2016

Diarrhea Elemental
Apr 2, 2012

Somehow passed this class with a B despite pissing chunky brown water out of my rear end every 15-30 minutes like clockwork for the past couple days, barely avoided a Code Brown during the final.

Diarrhea Elemental
Apr 2, 2012

14 credit semester here I go; Bio 110, Stats, and two bullshit classes (English 101 and Accounting 101).

It's apparent from day one that English is going to be painfully stupid and filled with walking clichés, and I'm getting some disturbing parallels between loving AKO courses and Accounting.

Diarrhea Elemental
Apr 2, 2012

Deathy McDeath posted:

Currently taking 18 credits because I'm stupid as gently caress

-Physics
-Global econ.
-Iran (Zeris is in this too)
-Middle East history
-Calc I
-loving THEATER

at the date posted:

19 credit hours here.

At least two, maybe three of my classes are complete jokes (freshman core requirements that I'm taking late because I transferred), so I figured I wouldn't get a better opportunity to tack on an extra one.

Sweet loving Jesus. I mean I could (and still might) pop some modafinil and crush all my English 101 assignments in a day or two over a weekend, but God drat I'd lose my poo poo taking another course (even an easy one) on top of this unless it was literally poo poo I already knew to a T and just had to go through the motions.

Diarrhea Elemental
Apr 2, 2012

TheQuietWilds posted:

Molecular Biology & Genetics
Microbiology w/ Lab
Evolutionary Biology
Foundations of Clinical Ethics

Lotta cell bio/genetics stuff this semester. I'm hoping to get some overlap on the studying hours since I'm also working a part time gig as a research assistant at the hospital and doing a bunch of volunteering poo poo. Getting into medical school is a pain in the dick.

Thank God the BCHS PA program prerequisites for UW MEDEX are only 2 A&P (6cr), 1 General Bio (3cr), 1 Microbio, 1 Chemistry, 1 Stats, and 2 English courses. Fffffuuuuuck med school.

Diarrhea Elemental
Apr 2, 2012

It's not nearly as bad as that, but the first goddamn thing we were told to do in my English 101 was write down our names and what the novel about our lives would be titled. I got to hear wonderful things from theater majors at a community college, the most :effort: ADN nursing students ever, and the entire rest of the spectrum of retarded freshmen which just ended up making me feel old as poo poo.

My (grossly under-appreciated) title? Mistakes Were Made.

I don't think my professor likes me.

Diarrhea Elemental
Apr 2, 2012

psydude posted:

If you're looking at Cornell for engineering, you might as well look at RIT, Hopkins, or MIT. They're about as good as you're going to get on the east coast when it comes to engineering.

Hopkins Yellow Ribbon is a loving joke.

Diarrhea Elemental
Apr 2, 2012

Anybody used one of the paper writing services before? Actual decent classes I give a poo poo about I'd write them myself, but this English 101 bullshit (rhetorical analysis, WOO!) is going to make me lose my loving mind with how terrible and pedantic it is.

Diarrhea Elemental
Apr 2, 2012

Whip Slagcheek posted:

I wouldn't risk it. It's very likely there will be some plagiarism in it and if it's pushed through a review service aka TurnItIn you're hosed.

That's actually a big part of why I was asking. I'm like 75% sure this professor is phoning this poo poo in and probably won't take the effort to scan all of the hardcopy-submitted papers to review services, but it's a stupid chance to take if there are no writing services that would actually give you whole cloth originals.

Diarrhea Elemental
Apr 2, 2012

Soulex posted:

So University San Diego said they'll accept me, but the credits I have at Thomas Edison State University won't transfer over, meaning I'll be starting from the beginning despite having almost an AA from them. Only because they are online :(

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1ytCEuuW2_A

Option A) Remove the "almost" part from "having almost an AA"
Option B) Say gently caress it and take the hit

Diarrhea Elemental
Apr 2, 2012

Fat dude with scraggly white trash neckbeard, patch hat, lovely 5.11 geardo backpack with subdued confederate flag prominently displayed alongside subdued US flag and name/rank/unit/whatever the gently caress else patches he could fit on that retarded thing... Check.
Yoga butts (whenever it randomly decides to be warm out before cratering to mid-low 30s)... Most definitely check.

I've only been called out twice that I can think of. One's a Guard MP that sat next to me in class and clocked my Quality Blind Made™ pen almost instantly, the other was someone from another class that saw me doing the barely-contained-rage forced march slash power walk across campus after I had to have a nice chat with my advisor.

DownByTheWooter posted:

Lab 8: Metal Cations

Using NH3, HNO3, NaOH, NaCl, and Na2SO4, I have to devise a scheme to separate out Al3+, Fe3+, Ni2+, and Ag+ from a randomly assigned test solution. Maybe all of them, maybe only one are in the test solution. For several reactions, I have to determine through the K values whether the ions are forming complexes or doing nothing at all.

gently caress. This. Lab.

.... poo poo.

Upside is I could pass my Stats class while consistently blackout drunk and the pre-health major intro Bio course is pretty much a refresher.

Diarrhea Elemental
Apr 2, 2012

holocaust bloopers posted:

Why do you have a skilcraft pen

On a whim I swiped the last box out of the office (apparently also last box in the company) the day before my final out.

Soulex posted:

They were free

Pretty much this, it's a combo of free and also being really strangely used to them after writing ten million SOAP notes and sick call slips.

Diarrhea Elemental
Apr 2, 2012

:shrug: I've been using the same one for like three months straight, hasn't thrown a shitfit once.

Some motherfucker walked off with the one (of three) Rite In The Rain pens I had that still had ink in it, I've been meaning to get a pack of refills off of Prime but keep forgetting.

Diarrhea Elemental
Apr 2, 2012

TheQuietWilds posted:

Lol I hope you guys aren't planning on taking Orgo or Biochem because it gets so much very worse than that

EDIT: Copper and Aluminum can be separated by differential reaction to Carbonate BTW. Your extraction protocol looks good up to the last step but I can't remember if it's all correct. I think hydroxide will precipitate with both iron and aluminum. The chart on Wikipedia says sulfate has differential solubility so you'd have to use K? It's been like a year and some change now.

UW MEDEX BCHS PA Program Prereqs: 2 Human A&P, 1 general Bio, 1 Microbio, 1 Chem, 1 Stats, and 2 English courses with Biochem/Genetics/Social Sciences listed as "recommended".

If I don't make the 1 Jan 2020 cutoff for the last undergrad-level PA cohorts, I'll probably end up doing some flavor of Kinesiology before hitting up Masters programs.

Diarrhea Elemental
Apr 2, 2012

TheQuietWilds posted:

That's not the worst, you can def make it by 2020. You lucked out not having to take organic chemistry or organic lab. My school makes you take labs for Micro as well, which sucks. Take Micro and Genetics at the same time for the overlap in material.

Sem 1: Bio/Chem/English/Stats
Sem 2: Micro/Genetics/English/Psych
Sem 3: Biochem/A&P1/Sociology
Sem 4: A&P2/Whatever

Unless you can do a summer A&P I/II session then kill that poo poo all at once. Honestly I'm not sure how you can do Biochem without Orgo but your course might be a lot different than mine.

I did:

Summer 1: Chem I/II+Labs
Fall/Spring 1: Bio/Orgo/Physics I/II+Labs
Fall 2: Biochemistry, Immunobiology, Vertebrate Phys, Stats
Spring 2 (currently): Microbiology, Evolutionary Biology, Molecular Genetics, Healthcare Ethics

Last year was the worst year of my life, including my first year in the military. On the other hand in two years I went from understanding literally nothing about science to the crazy rear end poo poo I'm doing now.

I should say that while I'm not quite starting from scratch completely, the bit of bullshit on my transcripts doesn't really make much of an (uncharitable) dent in the rest of the normal Bachelors requirements so it's going to be a little bit of a longer road than that.

If I've got room to use the recommended courses to pad out the rest of the general Bachelors requirements then cool, but I'm not going to freak out and run around like a chicken with its head cut off trying to hand-jam them into my schedule.

EDIT: Summer A&P I/II? I don't think I could afford enough lisdexamfetamine to survive that.

Diarrhea Elemental fucked around with this message at 01:30 on Apr 6, 2016

Diarrhea Elemental
Apr 2, 2012

The Rat posted:

I wasn't even that way when I first got out and tried going back to school. Where do guys get this mentality from?

Think about all the mental blips that enlisted, the ones that literally copy and pasted the default military personality onto themselves because they didn't actually have one to begin with. The Venn diagram of those guys and the retards that poo poo up your school might not be one perfect circle, but you'd be hard-pressed to squeeze anything in the margins.

Diarrhea Elemental
Apr 2, 2012

Whip Slagcheek posted:

Lol if you're not graduating next month.

:colbert:

Why don't you start taking care of your girl instead of Mike-O, might help that pitcher's elbow problem if you're not the only one paying attention to Lil' Whip.

Diarrhea Elemental
Apr 2, 2012

TheQuietWilds posted:

I just got a provisional offer from Drexel College of Medicine for their linkage from the Penn Post-bac. I need a 75th percentile MCAT score to finalize the linkage. Everything on one exam, no pressure or anything.

Ended up drinking with a bunch of chicks that had just received their acceptance letters for JHU, the amount of :smugdog: PA vs MD bullshit was awesome because it made the free blood money bomb-drop so much more satisfying. Seriously, holy loving poo poo the amount of money for that program made me almost do a spit take.

Diarrhea Elemental
Apr 2, 2012

TheQuietWilds posted:

I think you guys misread my post. I'm not enlisting. I WAS enlisted for six years, and now am considering commissioning in exchange for somewhere north of $250k (probably close to 300 once you count in the current sign-on bonus of 20k) in tuition and ancillaries for medical school. I'd be a medical officer not a normal one, anyway.

Med Corps is like the most watered-down version of the Army you could possibly get. Only downside is they've got you on the hook for like 12? years or so, including residency.

Diarrhea Elemental
Apr 2, 2012

Soulex posted:

So USD is asking for Tuition Commitment Fees equaling up to 300 dollars. Is this something the 9/11 covers or do I have to pay this out of pocket?

As long as you got the Post-9/11 letter to the VA certifying officials, you shouldn't have to even think about paying the school for poo poo. Worst-case just give the vet rep office a call and they'll be like, "Yeah, 'k, just put a hold on everything with the bursar's office, you're good."

Diarrhea Elemental
Apr 2, 2012

When I first realized I had signed up for a 5 week Chem 107/108 (lecture/lab) pair instead of the 10 week it was a little :dogbutton:, but god drat they must really use kid gloves with this poo poo for the mini-mesters.

Edit: Oh, get this poo poo. I got a nastygram last week announcing the suspension of my financial aid due to GPA bullshit, since apparently the 9 year gap between my garbage GPA plus my combined winter and spring semester GPA being ~3.4 doesn't make some loving neurons spark somewhere. Man, I'm going to have to do some goddamn deep breathing exercises before I go and talk to these motherfucking retards and use some loving crayons to illustrate why they need to give me free money.

Diarrhea Elemental fucked around with this message at 04:20 on Jun 15, 2016

Diarrhea Elemental
Apr 2, 2012

Grem posted:

You need to write probably a paragraph explaining it, if that. Are you sure you aren't a drama major?

It's more inertial frustration carrying through from the school almost loving up my academic standing twice in a row for the winter and spring semesters by not actually calculating the GPA improvement and going LOL DISMISSAL, which I didn't even know about until something went across a desk at the VA rep office and they called me like, "What the gently caress?".

Diarrhea Elemental
Apr 2, 2012

NTT posted:

GI bill should work for concurrent GPA so yeah that's bullshit.

I think it was just something about my academic status with the VA dudes, not anything to do with the Chapter 33 bennies. The only reason I actually got called was because I run into the guy on campus at least once a month so he knew I was crushing my classes, so something had to be up.

Diarrhea Elemental
Apr 2, 2012

Micro and A&P 1 in the same semester, about to loving ruin my 3.5. :getin:

Diarrhea Elemental
Apr 2, 2012

Jesus Christ, I think if I couldn't laugh about this poo poo right now I'd be well on my way to exploding.

So I get two pieces of mail today. First is from this lovely little community college congratulating me on making Dean's List for the summer semester, second is from the VA regarding the school informing them of my academic probation status and offering tutoring resources. The academic probation from NINE loving YEARS AGO that's been haunting me and throwing bullshit flags up at every turn, making poo poo five times harder than it has to be. All I want to do right now is dig my cGPA out of the retarded hole the school insists on keeping it in because reasons, and transfer the gently caress away to something slightly less Mickey Mouse.

Diarrhea Elemental
Apr 2, 2012

Mike-o posted:

First day of class for fall quarter, Jesus Christ I do not like getting up earlier than like 930-1000.

Only reason I'm surviving this 0900 chem class is a combo of modafinil and like 90% of the material so far being a review for the "chemistry for retards" prereq course I took over the summer.

Diarrhea Elemental
Apr 2, 2012

TheQuietWilds posted:

I'm pretty good at the chemistries, let me know if you need any help.

Thanks. I'm really just kvetching about having to get up before 10 plus the professor being legitimately loving terrible, but aside from a possible knock down drag out shitfit if/when she tries to dock points because I don't use loving dimensional analysis for calculations I'm pretty much good.

Only thing I might need help with is for someone to talk me down off the ledge before I actually decide I want to take Orgo, despite it not being a requirement anywhere and the distinct possibility that it would crater my sGPA.

Diarrhea Elemental
Apr 2, 2012

TheQuietWilds posted:

DA is actually a pretty important skill later on as things get more and more complicated. They're probably giving you problems that are solvable now without it but later on you will almost assuredly lose track of where you are.

Orgo is not as impossible as they make it seem. It was actually my best grade of pre-Med study. There's zero math and it's all shapes, memorizing and thinking a few steps ahead in problem solving.

The best analogy of it is those "make 24" cards from elementary school where you had to combine numbers into 24 by manipulating the order of operations. Now imagine that with a dozen new operations to learn each exam. You'll be given a line drawing of a starting molecule and an ending molecule and asked to make a list of steps that will get you there, or alternately a starting/ending molecule and a list of steps and ask you to reason out the opposite end. The trickiest parts of the reasoning will involve rotating 3D structures in your head to figure out if certain parts come out up vs down or left vs right.

Some people who are super good at math but bad at shapes find it to be a killer, but I'm the opposite so I found it kind of fun and a good mental challenge, and it's quite literally indispensable if you want to really understand medicine or biology.

I mean I can definitely see where it'd come in handy later on when you get beyond potato-level chemistry, and if her approach had been something along the lines of, "As long as it's working for you that's fine, but if you're planning on continuing to more chemistry courses then it'd be a good idea to practice DA so you're familiar with the method when the complexity skyrockets" then I wouldn't have a problem. But, "Use DA or you're going to lose points"? Now you're just a lovely professor.

If the big boogeyman about orgo really is spatial reasoning, then :lol: I'm definitely taking that poo poo.

Diarrhea Elemental
Apr 2, 2012

Holy mother of gently caress I want to carve out my microbio prof's eyeballs with rusty, warped spoons. How hard is it, especially when you've apparently been teaching this poo poo for loving decades, to assemble some kind of coherent narrative and do the most simple jack poo poo like progressing from the generalized overview of a topic then branching out into further and further subdivisions? My notes look like I'm loving schizophrenic from trying to parse the introduction of an intermediary subject followed by the general topic it falls under followed by a couple definitions thrown in... If the majority of the rest of the class wasn't also walking out of lecture dazed, confused, and feeling their brain got stuck in a blender set to frappé then I'd probably feel a whole lot worse about my grade so far.

Diarrhea Elemental
Apr 2, 2012

Kawasaki Nun posted:

This is a safe space for widdle students to talk about those mean ol'professors !!!! THEY loving TEACH WRONG!!!!

Edit: Machete wielder was shot to death on campus today. Guess I graduated just in time :smug:

Oh suck my dick from the back. A couple of dissatisfied underperforming students might be one thing but when it's a majority of the class coming out of every lecture bitching about how incoherent and spotty your train of thought is, you might be getting just a little long in the tooth.

Diarrhea Elemental
Apr 2, 2012

This Gen Chem 1 class just gets better and better.

:) "Hey Professor, could you extend the deadline for the homework that was due on Saturday? We covered less than half of the material for it last class and we just learned the rest today (Monday)."
:j: "I've told the class that you should be reading ahead in the book and preparing, you can come to office hours or use the tutoring services available."
:commissar: "So what you're saying is that we're responsible for material that you haven't covered because...?"

My brain is full of gently caress.

Diarrhea Elemental
Apr 2, 2012

Soulex posted:

I can't do Ambien.

The sleeping pill they gave me was some Hydro whatever. It works, takes a bit to kick in but it works. It's an anti-histaime or whatever.

No, Ambien makes me do things in my sleep. I don't want to chase the walrus anymore.

Hydroxyzine? That poo poo was like a little pressed chunk of sleep apnea for me, only took it for 3 nights and each one had me wake up in the morning ticking off every single classic symptom you can imagine.

Diarrhea Elemental
Apr 2, 2012

Looks like I'm probably gonna have to re-take this loving microbio course on my own dime to meet the prereq minimums for UW's bachelors PA program, probably after I manage to get to an actual big boy school that also offers Genetics and Biochem.

Random question: Anyone know poo poo about foreign language immersion courses, like the "spend a summer in Barcelona learning Spanish" kind of thing? I'm assuming there's some extra hoops to deal with on the Post-9/11 end because of the international poo poo, but I've got no idea how to even approach researching reputable programs/organizations.

Diarrhea Elemental
Apr 2, 2012

TheQuietWilds posted:

I tried to do this for my gap year between my post-bac pre-med program ending and starting medical school, and it didn't work out for a two reasons. The first was it was nearly impossible to find a program that was set up and accredited to properly take the GI bill payments, or even knew what it was, unless they were a US University, in which case you had to be an enrolled/degree-seeking student. The second was that I wasn't able to find one where I would have been able to fly back to the country during interview season. I know there is a US university set up as an emersion program in like, New Hampshire or something, but I remember being past the enrollment window for it, and that's not nearly as fun anyways. Ultimately I ended up just getting a research job and taking a few extra upper division biology electives, and that turned out to be really really helpful (particularly Immunobiology, but also some advanced genetics and microbiology stuff). The higher division stuff carried over really well into my first year classes.

EDIT: If you ever need help with medical science poo poo feel free to PM me. When I was a corpsman all the doctors were always down to teach me all the time, and I always dreamed that when I was a doctor I could pay that forward, but just lol at the idea of rejoining military at this point, so maybe I can at least help another vet out as a medical student.

I'm pretty much just filling in the blanks for prereqs and pad my GPA to get out of the hole 16-19 year old me put myself in, since this loving school doesn't want to give me a break on poo poo from 9 loving years ago. Probably going to wait until my GPA floats somewhere above "godawful" so I can transfer to a 4-year and take the more involved/difficult bio courses. So I figure I can burn a summer doing some rad poo poo in Barcelona (not just drinking and womanizing), maybe pick up some Spanish and satisfy the language requirements.

I'll definitely keep your offer in mind when I start getting into the really hairy poo poo. Microbio isn't actually bad, kind of like a half-remembered song being played just outside my hearing, but the professor is breathtakingly bad at explaining some of the more involved poo poo like the whole section on immune response.

Kawasaki Nun posted:

Are you in school right now? your registrar and whoever runs the abroad program should be able to answer all those questions pretty easily. afaik all the programs will be under your university's name with regard to reputation.

That's actually not a terrible idea. Probably going to have to hope for some tenuously affiliated poo poo with a big boy school, but at least this gives me a starting point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Diarrhea Elemental
Apr 2, 2012

Thank God for a "cumulative" final that was like 85-90% material from the last section we covered. That plus a more than passing familiarity and slightly unhealthy fascination with biowarfare agents made my Microbiology final a little less godawful.

• Locked thread