Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ilitarist
Apr 26, 2016

illiterate and militarist

Artelier posted:

Basically Hand of Fate 2 is a few different genres in one:

- Build a deck to influence your possible events, skills, equipment
- Your character goes from point to point on a map, like FTL or Final Fantasy Tactics. Each point is an event of some sort
- If the event is a battle, you'll be put into a small-ish arena where you will face many foes with Arkham-esque combat

The deck building thing really sells the game. There are a lot of considerations for how to build your deck for any particular adventure. Some cards a part of meta-quests. Some just give you small free rewards. Some give big rewards but you have to fight for them, but what if you know you're going to have a good item against those specific enemies? Or that you need that specific reward for the main quest of the adventure? It might even be too complex but really you only have to dive deep into this if you want to complete golden objectives for each adventure. You can click autofill if you just want to complete the basic task in an adventure.

Also in addition to combat, there are other agility-based challenges like corridors with traps, rolling the pendulum etc. Those are not just glorified lotteries, they are affected by some stats and user input.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ilitarist
Apr 26, 2016

Xander77 posted:

A few years back, some LP of... a non-Japanese Asian game (?) had a whole fascinating discussion about why "Who is going to do something? I'll!" works for local pidgin-English dialects but not English proper.

English is not my mother tongue but while I can see there's something off with it I understand it and probably wouldn't notice.

Really all of your English rules about word order and tenses are shackles. Green great dragons will eventually win.

ilitarist
Apr 26, 2016

https://www.humblebundle.com/store/...utm_medium=link

Surviving Mars is free. Can't vouch for the quality but it's not bad, apparently.

ilitarist
Apr 26, 2016

McGavin posted:

What's wrong with Humankind?

Short answer is it's buggy.

Which is expected nowadays from a strategy game. Old World and Crusader Kings 3 before it have been nice exceptions, but anyone who buys a release version of a big strategy game should understand the risks.

ilitarist
Apr 26, 2016

Gamepass is not available in most countries though.

ilitarist
Apr 26, 2016

https://store.steampowered.com/app/475150/Titan_Quest_Anniversary_Edition/

Titan Quest is free on Steam. Also Jagged Alliance 1.

ilitarist
Apr 26, 2016

Duderclese posted:

Excited for EU 4. Always wanted to get into that series.

It is one of the greatest strategy games ever made.

But I say it as someone who owns all the gameplay DLCs. A lot of DLCs are about adding regional flavor and mechanics as you'd expect, but there's also a lot of quality of life UI features there, it's bizzare. Like you have to pay for ability to see a list of nations who would like to ally you, in vanilla you have to click each nation individually and check. Some other payed features are kinda like design fixes, e.g. the game heavily depends on random stats of rulers but with a payed feature you can affect their stats (give +2 to one stat and -1 to other two) which is extremely helpful button you could buy.

Maybe when they release on EGS they'll have some sort of affordable bundle.

ilitarist
Apr 26, 2016

JustJeff88 posted:

I noticed this too, and of course Epic will just be the vanilla base game. I'm immediatley disdainful of games with massive DLC lists because it's blatant money spinning. I wanted to try Skylines, but when I saw the ridiculous DLC roster I lost interest.

With most of EGS games it's fine, they don't usually give out shells for DLCs. But here the base game was often enough sold for spare change and DLCs never go lower than 50% sale. Crusader Kings 2 (released 1 year before EU4) is now free to play and you only pay for DLCs, and I'd argue its DLC policy is not as predatory. And other Paradox games like Stellaris or Imperator are fine if you only own the base version. EU4 DLCs came out with patches that remove some base game mechanics or apply debuffs to specific playstyles in a free patch, while replacement mechanics and improvements to nerfed playstyles come in expansions. Sometimes it's silly, like there's Devastation mechanic in a free patch, making so that your provinces suffer economically from being a warzone. And in a payed DLC you get a Prosperity mechanic that is basically an inversion: it simulates improved economy from being at peace.

ilitarist
Apr 26, 2016

I did not expect a sequel to Siberia 1 & 2 to be optimized for gamepads and unplayable on keyboard and mouse.

ilitarist
Apr 26, 2016

site posted:

man, who the gently caress wants to buy a game with 30 dlcs on a store with no cart

Yeah, I thought it's a good opprotunity for Paradox to add some sort of ultimate edition or something. They never added one for CK2, but at least there were some bundles including a lot of important DLCs.

But here if someone wants to get everything for EU4 they'll have to open each DLC page, enter card information, wait till the payment is done (in my case it might take up to 3 minutes for confirmation SMS from my bank to arrive) and then proceed. It might very well take 1.5 hours to buy it all. Mind-blowing.

ilitarist
Apr 26, 2016

This is all a conspiracy to make us buy Steam Deck.

ilitarist
Apr 26, 2016

THE BAR posted:

A PC bought in the 90s and early 00s wouldn't be able to handle things made just 2-3 years later. A bit of a hyperbole, but some games did introduce new graphical inventions, that just slightly out of date cards wouldn't know what to do with.

It's mad to me that my current PC that I bought in 2015 (and it wasn't the top hardware back then) is still perfectly fine for new AAA games. Last year I've upgraded my GPU from GeForce 980 to 2070 Super because old GPU just broke. 4k was problematic on the old GPU but everything was fine on 1080p. Now I remember my first PC from 1998 and how would it handle anything from 6 years later like Half-Life 2. Hell, it couldn't handle 1999 game Quake 3 because it didn't have a "3D accelerator".

ilitarist
Apr 26, 2016

WD2 is a window into a world of non-violent open-world games. I mean there's still a lot of violence if you want it, but you can play it as a puzzle immersive game. Usually it means going out of your way to play in a most boring way (Dishonored, Deus Ex) but in WD2 it means hacking the planet and playing spy games. I understand WD3 is back to being all about shooting people and it's sad.

ilitarist
Apr 26, 2016

Mr. Fortitude posted:

No? You've more more non-lethal options in 3 besides a tazer and a melee knockout. You're just limited in what you can use because of the "play as anyone" gimmick which didn't really work. People play lethally in Legion because they can't be bothered to switch to a character with a specific skillset who also has non-lethal options. It's why the DLC papers over the cracks by letting you play as Aiden or Wrench for the entire campaign instead of a random NPC, since they have access to almost all hacks and Wrench's moveset is entirely non-lethal.

Oh, it sounds nice. My understanding was that every character has access to guns on top of their gimmick so you always have an easy solution to any given problem and might miss other solutions. I should get this game eventually.

ilitarist
Apr 26, 2016

HardKase posted:

I mean if you're on this board and not on this list is be interested to know where you are from.

Dude, it's like 1/4 of world countries. All the biggest ones are there, true, but there's no China, Indonesia, Pakistan, Nigeria, Bangladesh, Ethiopia, Phillipines - and those countries have almost 3 billion people between them. Even if you think no one outside of Europe and USA is allowed into the internet 1/3 of Europe is missing too.

ilitarist
Apr 26, 2016

The main problem of Inquisition was its inability to explain to the player that 80% of quests are actually tinekiller grind directives. Don't expect that killing goats for refugees will open sone interesting story or affect future events. It's just a way to get some numbers go up.

But yeah, it's a fine game and it's surprisibgly old-school for BioWare.

ilitarist
Apr 26, 2016

It's a good story-driven stylish shooter. Get it!

ilitarist
Apr 26, 2016

I have never seen someone posting a key and getting an answer "thanks, I took it". A magical moment!

But it's probably only cause you can't redeem it on any major platform so bots can't claim it.

ilitarist
Apr 26, 2016

Yeah, most likely. There are plenty of sites where you can buy a product of their work.

ilitarist
Apr 26, 2016

Rinkles posted:

but how would they sell a redeemed code?

They register the code on a previously created account and sell it. Here, you can buy one for cheap:
https://plati.ru/cat/steam-accounts/22764/

ilitarist
Apr 26, 2016

It's well-reviewed but it's very unique gameplay. If you play strategy games that kinda look similar to this you're used to it being about knowing the systems and iron man-ing the obstacles. In this one, you're told if you haven't saved for 30 seconds. Any wrong move means death, it's like a puzzle game in that regard.

ilitarist
Apr 26, 2016

Kobal2 posted:

It's Commandos for the "dark souls SL1 naked broken sword no-hit runs have gotten stale and lame" crowd.

I thought I'm just bad at it.

I was hesitant to call it Commandos clone because most people here were probably born after the Commandos series stopped being relevant.

ilitarist
Apr 26, 2016

Captain Monkey posted:

The hate for Epic is as crazy as the early hate for Steam. Definitely complain about multiple stores, but it's not a Chinese super spy program, it's a mediocre web store for video games.

It even has a cart now. They will add the ability to see the game you own eventually, maybe one day they'll even have forums and proper search. Not so bad!

ilitarist
Apr 26, 2016

A few days ago.

Now you can spend less than two hours if you want to buy all DLCs for Europa Universalis 4 that Epic gave you for free.

ilitarist
Apr 26, 2016

Call your mother.

ilitarist
Apr 26, 2016

Zushio posted:

Going loud is a last option, not a first.

That irritated me about the game. I like the tactical combat and exploration, but the stealth is not nearly as neat. You have to save scum all the time cause going loud before you have killed quietly everyone who can go down quietly means certain death. The game pretends stealth is a trade-off cause you have to use a weapon slot for a silent weapon but it really isn't (at least on a decent difficulty level). So for me, it felt like a good tactics game has a poor man's Shadow Tactics/Commandos attached to it.

ilitarist
Apr 26, 2016

There was a leaked list of EGS free games, it had Prey.

ilitarist
Apr 26, 2016

They're being funny.

Lurks With Wolves posted:

Anyway, Kingmaker's a pretty good isometric RPG that's afaik still kind of buggy in a bad way and is generally surpassed so much by Wrath of the Righteous that I don't know why you'd buy it when you could be buying that instead. So, getting it for free is a good deal.

Some people love this game. I'd say if you think the most interesting part of RPG is character creation, reading guides, theorycrafting, and you don't care that much about combat or exploration then PFKM is the game for you. It's also pleasant to look at, the writing is light-hearted and chill.

ilitarist
Apr 26, 2016

I wouldn't recommend any of them. The base game is very long already. You have to really love the game mechanics to appreciate what this random dungeon expansion does, and the other ones are quite small. Varnhold's Lot is a few hours adventure as a different character that adds almost nothing to the story.

ilitarist
Apr 26, 2016

Yes you can.

ilitarist
Apr 26, 2016

JustJeff88 posted:

It's a classic failing of games that allow different types of characters to make non-combat characters unviable. Sad to hear that this game falls Prey (pun fully intended) to that. Sad, but not surprised.

It's not nearly as bad as Dishonored. That game had a problem that the "good" playthrough was about crouching and choking people or using sleeping darts when you're daring. Meanwhile "bad" playthrough is about possessing people, stopping time, creating wirhlwinds, maaking people die from their own hacked dieselpunk security systems, cool swordfighting with unique kill for every major character.

Prey moral judgment isbabout the usage of certain abilities, and even then it's not that restrictive. You still have to use a lot of interesting mechanics in Prey. And yeah, Mooncrash allows you to play a lot of archetypes.

ilitarist
Apr 26, 2016

The real Tomb Raider starts when you get to Gran Pulse.

ilitarist
Apr 26, 2016

Our research shows that just 8% of people own 90% of games. They have more games than they can or will ever play, while some people don't get enough. This has to change.

ilitarist
Apr 26, 2016

I've read Crime and Punishment and it was like a Columbo episode for kids, I instantly knew they'd catch that dumb guy.

ilitarist
Apr 26, 2016

The issue with TWWH1 is that every aspect of it was improved in TWWH2. You need a great mental discipline to play it today knowing that you could play the same game but vastly improved if you'd bought TWWH2 in addition. So look at it as an additional price cut for TWWH Mortal Empires bundle.

ilitarist
Apr 26, 2016

Fuzz posted:

This. It's always been piece of poo poo goons, why would you think anyone would have a bot scraping this forum for the once in 3 weeks chance of getting a random code for whatever.

Because it's extremely easy to do and it's free money.

ilitarist
Apr 26, 2016

Bardeh posted:

how is it free money? the codes are redeemed, and I find it very hard to believe you can make money by selling Steam accounts with random bundle leavings on it

https://plati.ru/cat/steam-accounts/22764/

Breadallelogram posted:

please show me how

No.

ilitarist
Apr 26, 2016

I got Gold Rush from this one.
H5EJR-GTXVK-W4NRY

Thanks, I guess.

ilitarist
Apr 26, 2016

ponzicar posted:

Thanks for Scratches: Director's Cut.

That's a good one!
That freaking mask...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ilitarist
Apr 26, 2016

Yeah, it's a good game. Less imaginative compared to Dishonored, but what isn't.

It probably never became a classic because of enemy design. Seriously, all of the enemies look like placeholders. Mimics are memetic but that's about it. It's a game about exploring a cool place and the enemies are a hindrance on your way.