Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tyty
Feb 20, 2012

Night-vision Goggles Equipped!

Yo when I wanna play lane Nunu and show people the hell of 2 second snowballs do I go top or mid with him? I'm thinking top where I can be an annoying piece of poo poo who never leaves lane but ganks and toplane in general are scary to me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tyty
Feb 20, 2012

A lot of midlaners end up as supports I noticed. notably the obvious Brand/Zyra/Vel'Koz.

Lux was supposed to be "like morgana but more supporty" and her champ spotlight shows her duo botlane with garen too, though that was before the traditional ranged ADC+Support meta in botlane right?

Tyty
Feb 20, 2012

I'll give a poo poo about it when I'm not knee-deep in homework.

It does kinda suck how I placed so low this season but I'm sure I can get back out. I was silver the last two seasons, I can at least get back there.

Tyty
Feb 20, 2012

This elo is pretty funny when you win, but I wanna go back to silver. Mostly because I was put in a league with a dumb name.

I'm in Nautilus' Infiltrators.

How the gently caress is Nautilus sneaky enough to have any infiltrators.

Tyty
Feb 20, 2012

Honestly I'd like to see ascension come back. On its own properly shurima-themed map.

Ascension was some of the most fun I ever had in league and I think it captures the fast-paced feel better than dominion did.

Tyty
Feb 20, 2012

The problem is that in bronze the only thought they put into building any kind of teamcomp is "we need a tank"

and they don't want to be that tank. So they try and make top or support always do it.

I don't mind because I'm awful at toplane and only play Sion and maybe Rek'Sai up there if I know I can get away with the matchup but still.

Tyty
Feb 20, 2012

Methanar posted:

Tornados were twice as wide always had a 1.5 second knock up regardless of charge time.

They also had a 1.0 AP ratio when fully charged and went way further than they do now.

Tyty
Feb 20, 2012

The Crusher posted:

Can someone explain to me why Deathfire is Jhin's go-to? I'm sure there's a good reason I just don't know enough about either to get it.

They made it so his W and his ult, despite hitting multiple minions, count as single target on champions (since they can only hit one). That makes the deathfire burn more powerful on them.

Tyty
Feb 20, 2012

He liked thunderlords before they nerfed precision. I'd imagine that'd still work on him, but the offense tree is better for him now.

Due to his lack of attack speed fervor isn't very good on him. Warlords is probably workable, but from his kit you want the damage more than sustain.

Tyty
Feb 20, 2012

K8.0 posted:

Jhin liked a mastery that got nerfed half a month before he was released? Riot playtester spotted.

Oh whoops.

Did thunderlords get nerfed then? I know at release people were using that but then something changed beyond just the w and ult change

Tyty
Feb 20, 2012

Only 160 CAD

Not that bad I guess. The same price as my PSP when I bought it lots of years ago.

Tyty
Feb 20, 2012

Spiros posted:

Do you guys have any tips for getting randos in soloqueue ranked to pick comps as a unit rather than just pidgeonholing into a champ regardless of its impact on the team comp?

Just let people play what they want. It's more important to play around the enemy team's picks than anything. Whenever someone asks me what support I want as an ADC, I just tell them play whatever they're comfortable on.

Like don't pick MF or Vel'koz if the enemy has Malph/Wu/Voli, you're gonna have a bad time, but the only champs that need a team built around them are like, kog and yasuo. Even then yas can function fine on his own so it doesn't even really matter. I'd rather have someone playing a Morgana they're comfortable with than an Alistar to appease a 12 year old yas main, especially down here in bronze/silver.

Tyty
Feb 20, 2012

ImpAtom posted:

All those characters except maybe Kalisa got lore rewworks or updates already I think. Maybe Kalista did too and I just didn't hear about it because gently caress the lore.

Kalista got most of hers retconned during the harrowing/bilgewater thing iirc

Tyty
Feb 20, 2012

Like, you can get thronmail on a naut, or taric vs 5 AD, those two champs I see it as less a "maybe" but naut would still have to be pretty fed.

Generally I find when I'm playing support if I want a survivability item, I really want one that gives me HP instead of a fuckton of armor, and probably utility. Banner/Zz'rot/etc. Glacial is really good though because it's somewhat flexible, gives mana, and builds into some really fantastic items. On a support that more likes armor I can go Frozen heart on even IBG if I can proc it often enough (blitz, ali maybe? I don't play them often). Zekes is also REALLY good on any support that appreciates AP. As Janna I'll never be tanky enough for thornmail to really ever be useful, but a Mikhaels heal, another shorter CD skill, or even a locket shield will definitely help me survive a fight- IF I'm the one who needs to be surviving. They also work for your teammates.

I usually play Janna, Leona, and Morg for my supports if that makes a difference on this advice.

Tyty
Feb 20, 2012

panda clue posted:

I just think its laughable that Riot tries to pretend that they both cant exist in the same world.
I'm fairly sure NA doesn't have enough players to support both. EU and Korea would probably be fine, but I just don't think we have enough players on this side of the pond, at least not playing ranked. Either one will die off like dominion, or both queues will have WAY longer times. High elo soloq would still have long-rear end queue times because it's high elo and the matchmaking struggles there. Axing premades will NEVER fix that problem.

And added, an IP bonus would not be enough to incentivize players to deal with 4-man stacks if they've been traumatized by one. I've never had any problems with them and dynamic has basically been soloq again for me, but there are people who have otherwise it wouldn't come up every time this becomes an argument.

moush posted:

I personally have no probs with dynamic queue, I just wish Riot wasn't doing their normal "we have stats" spiel.

This tbh. It's lyte blabbing on and on pretty much.

Tyty
Feb 20, 2012

curiousCat posted:

hmm

this might be a glitch

It is

The yorick ghosts do a metric fuckton damage to themselves when they run out instead of just dying. It counts as champ damage for some reason.

at least I'm pretty sure that's the reason.

Tyty
Feb 20, 2012

Darth Windu posted:

I'm pretty excited about malz but gel kapz seems pretty much the same

The true damage is hilarious. I literally melted a Darius that was stacking MR to deal with vlad as support vel.

He is pretty much the same yeah, but I have a feeling the ult will catch a LOT of people off-guard.

Tyty
Feb 20, 2012

Ormi posted:

city good. cowlands bad

Not when your net just randomly goes to poo poo every now and then.

I'm supposed to be on the 60 Mb/s down plan.

Tyty
Feb 20, 2012

So with all the changes to mana what the hell do I actually buy on Lux now?

Is it actually worth it to go tear for the mana usage reduction? Or should I still stick to spellthiefs for my first mana regen+cdr item? I haven't really had a chance to mess around with any of my midlaners since the patch hit so I have no clue what to do for builds anymore.

Tyty
Feb 20, 2012

Ignite Memories posted:

Why do people even buy the spellthief line as a mid? I know it's got decent stats but you're wasting the passive if you're a champion that kills creeps.

Because fiendish -> fqc isn't that bad of a buy path and easily pays for itself with the passive once fully upgraded. Usually I'll go back with enough for the codex at least.

I just think with the nerfs maybe Athene's or morello might be better for lux again, but I sure felt useless against a kassadin when I tried morello earlier.

Tyty
Feb 20, 2012

Endorph posted:

if you're in bronze, you're utter garbage

This is actually something I've started taking to heart tbh.

I'm trusting my team more now, because I've been in high bronze/low silver long enough to know I probably belong around there and the people I'm playing with aren't the Lissandra I played against two years ago that I managed to push all the way to her inhib pre-20-minutes. They're as good as I am and I have to respect my teammates and opponents more. I can't scoff at their bronzeness, I'm also bronze and have to deal with that.

Eventually I'll be able to CS enough to get out, but I still can't CS in the midgame and sometimes miss a cannon during laning, so I'm where I belong.

Tyty
Feb 20, 2012

iirc wasn't Zed's ban rate also slowly increasing over the last patch too?

I'm like 99% sure he's not getting banned because he's strong or whatever. He's getting banned because he's super loving annoying to lane against, and tough to deal with as an ADC in a soloq environment where you can't always trust someone will be there to peel for you. He's just frustrating.

Tyty
Feb 20, 2012

Any tips on how to get out of a slump? For a while now I've been having awful games on champs I'm normally confident on.

I thought at first it might be the ap item changes, since they really weren't clicking with me, but I've had a couple bad games on adcs now so I'm definitely sure something is up with my gameplay.

Tyty
Feb 20, 2012

Elentor posted:

It's the term Brazilians use to describe the various degrees of basically sitting down and doing nothing if one of your opponents gets disconnected in a ranked game to give them a "fair chance" of recovering.

As someone with lovely Canadian internet, I say don't play if your connection isn't stable.

If I get a kill with the game going into a 4v5 I'm not going to feel bad.

Tyty
Feb 20, 2012

I dislike the idea of having to rush a rylais to take full advantage of a lovely spell.

At least with A-sol it's so he can kite, but without rylais I don't think hitting a full Taliyah Q feels good at all.

Honestly, make it so that without worked ground you only shoot one, but with worked ground you get all 5. It'd probably fix her. The idea of a zone control mage that zones herself is so goddamn stupid.

Tyty
Feb 20, 2012

I think I'm just gonna retire from mid and become an adc main. The last game I played felt awful. I got my poo poo pushed in hard as Morgana by a Zyra, and there wasn't really anything I could do to stop her.

Things are getting way too cooky in midlane, and at least I can right click on people and position decently.

Tyty
Feb 20, 2012

rabidsquid posted:

"The last game I played felt awful, and there wasn't anything I could do"

Uhhh don't start playing ADC if this is why you're quitting mid.

I'm in bronze rn

No-one bans lucian here it'll be fine.

Tyty
Feb 20, 2012

On one hand I agree with keven on getting it top, but on the other hand sheen just feels really drat nice on toplane leona and I like to rush it.

I mean if what you're doing is working it's probably fine to keep doing it until it doesn't work anymore.

Tyty
Feb 20, 2012

Gibberish posted:

JP server overrun by Chinese players, a hellish landscape :yikes:

What?

Did Riot JP not do what literally every other online game in Japan does to try and prevent that? If so, do that many Chinese people have Japanese VPNs just to play league of legends in another region?

I don't get it.

Tyty
Feb 20, 2012

milkman dad posted:

I'm still part of the camp that players should have the option to play the game with only other solo players.

This would probably split the playerbase too much. It's a legitimate problem with having multiple queues like that and multiple games have had that problem in the past. Either by simply splitting the playerbase, or worse, eventually all the solo players migrate to the solo-only queue.

I understand dynamic queue is a problem for the higher elos but it hardly changes when or how I play in lower rankings so it's not that big a deal to me tbh.

Tyty
Feb 20, 2012

I mean,

I just didn't get any Lux skins because I own all of them already.

Though I'm disappointed I didn't get Definitely Not Vel'Koz on there.

Tyty
Feb 20, 2012

Mikujin posted:

Shave and get haircut Meth. You'll clean up well, instead of looking like every other Albertan who decides personal hygiene is optional.

Actually we're all just trying to look like Wolverine. It doesn't really work out though, as you can see.

Tyty
Feb 20, 2012

Mikujin posted:

Around the time Yasuo (and his lovely lore) was releasing, it was heavily implied by some Riot goon that the one responsible for killing him was Ao Shin, then an evil wind serpent whose development was hyped. Given he never got to exist, it'd be interesting to see who (if anyone, ever) becomes the bad guy in this tale.

I still think it would be hilarious if it was just a stray Janna tornado, but I know the Riot writers would never do that.

Tyty
Feb 20, 2012

A friend and I tested it, and you can also drop an entire Heimer nest on someone since it also warps allied minions.

It'd be funny if stuff like J4 ult counted as minions for the Ryze ult, but I'm not sure if they do after they fixed Sejuani pushing them out of the way way back when.

Tyty
Feb 20, 2012

Libertine posted:

I absolutely cannot watch a naked Japanese man stab the spine of a killer robot and try to place it's cultural relevance.
Are you sure you weren't watching someone play a metal gear game? That sounds like a metal gear game.

Tyty
Feb 20, 2012

Ah. Dammit. I got Zed in my chest.

It's a cool skin but I don't own the guy and I was really hoping for Ashe. She's one of the two ADCs I can play with any competency.

Tyty
Feb 20, 2012

rabidsquid posted:

you were never gonna get ashe bc the project skins are only from the first run and not the new ones

Oh. :downs:

Well I guess I got one of the ones I don't own yet? That's a plus. I don't really care about the border so I'll just hope for the shard in a normal chest later.

Tyty
Feb 20, 2012

Played my first SR game in about 4 months. It was like, the worst Jinx game I've ever played, missed every ult and CS'd like trash, but it was still a one-sided stomp because the enemy Yi and Garen fed and their Draven D/C'd.

I was having trouble climbing back to Silver earlier in the season. Maybe I should've just waited until now when the MMR has stabilized. It's the bronzest game I've seen while in bronze at least.

Tyty
Feb 20, 2012

Mystery Prize posted:

The problem occurs when you get a passive as gently caress adc who just wants to farm all day and then you get to be a reactive shield-bot, which is both boring and infuriating

That's when you shield yourself and auto them.

In fact it's usually better for you to do that anyways.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tyty
Feb 20, 2012

Sexpansion posted:

Ranked stuff for next season: http://euw.leagueoflegends.com/en/news/game-updates/competitive/how-rank-2017-season

Anyone want to start an SA flex queue team with me next season? I am a wood V midlaner with terrible game sense and mechanics, so I'll be a great subtraction to any team.

I'd be down. I'm a ~silver shitter midlaner but I can also play ADC and support.

• Locked thread