Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

Gonzo McFee posted:

Lol just saw someone for the better together campaign assure the BBC that more will be done to get rid of EU rules on maternity leave and a max 48 hour work week if we stay in the EU.

who? amazing that anyone would think the general public would hear that and go for it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

just lol at this

http://www.theguardian.com/business/2016/feb/03/dwp-post-amazon-chief-disgusting-margaret-hodge

quote:

The Labour MP and tax campaigner Margaret Hodge has described as “disgusting” a plan to give an executive of Amazon, one of the companies at the centre of an intensifying row over taxes, a directorship at the Department of Work and Pensions.

Hodge was responding to the news, first revealed by Sky News, that Amazon’s head of Chinese operations, Doug Gurr, is to become a non-executive director of the DWP. The DWP said it would issue a statement, which was not available at the time of publication. Amazon declined to comment.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

XMNN posted:

i prefer their early work

football isn't an italian invention

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Tesseraction posted:

So in other words "rape is bad, unless it's politically convenient to assume the bitch is lying."

interesting choice of words to put in his mouth

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Tesseraction posted:

Either the person is guilty of the crime, or they are a victim of libel. To assume innocent until proven guilty means the accuser is guilty of libel until proven innocent.

don't be ridiculous

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Tesseraction posted:

Of course that's not how it works but if he's going to leap to a rapist's defence I'm going to be difficult with him.

nobody is really defending him i think you should calm down

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Renaissance Robot posted:

In extremely tangentially related news, any of you who'd planned on getting to rough up some turbosexists this Saturday will have to find something else to do, because that mass MRA meet has been cancelled.

it did get him international recognition though so mission accomplished

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

big scary monsters posted:

Which is kinda ironic because in yet a third meaning of the word, table salt is inorganic while the much hated and widely considered unhealthy monosodium glutamate is in fact (an) organic salt.

msg is great to add to stews/soups/sauces

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

i'd never heard of roosh v before this week and he has apparently cancelled tours everywhere which gives the impression he was never intending to turn up to any of them in the first place

i do now know who he is like a lot of people though

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

OwlFancier posted:

So long as that makes you marginally more disgusted at the depths of depravity to which humanity can sink I think that's a good thing.

it doesn't because its nothing new but the amount of people in this thread who have become really angry and thought about protesting something that obvious makes me have some qustions

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

the internet does terrible things to communism its true

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

i had never heard of julien blanc either but thanks to your post i googled him. most people have never heard of whoever is getting you outraged but you're giving them good publicity

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

would have. my point is that nobody has heard of these people but by making a fuss you introduce people who might agree with them to that person giving them an audience

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

free regarde aduck

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Tesseraction posted:

I just see the problem ultimately being that the Tories are trying to rules lawyer us into the ground and it means that by ruining our lives in small imperceptible shifts they get away with it. I'd almost rather they rip the plaster off so we can see how lovely they are, like when they tried to do tax credit cuts, rather than the method they currently employ such as changing the rules for disability living allowance which is starving the disabled.

full eugenics now could turn out to be something of a vote winner

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Since someone linked edx courses earlier and there seem to be a couple of mathematicians in the thread and maybe some other people have studied statistics. Can anyone recommend an online course for it since i have no loving clue what I'm looking for. Just introductions to it

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

That looks good cheers. there were so many in random things i wasn't sure what to look for

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Thundercloud posted:

I posted the example of the Conservative PCC a few pages back who was being lauded by Theresa May for setting up a school for children on the cusp of crime, or who wanted to work in the police. He took the police HQ building and converted it to a free school, run by a company that he is chairman of. The police have had to build a new HQ at a significant cost to the public.

Basically a couple of billion pounds of public money has gone straight to Tories all over the country.

do you have a link for this that isn't a guardian comment?

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

http://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2016/feb/08/george-osbornes-brother-admits-having-sex-with-vulnerable-patient-in-his-care

quote:

George Osborne’s brother is back before the General Medical Council after he admitted having sex with a vulnerable patient who had been under his care, a disciplinary panel has heard.

I guess loving the vulnerable runs in the family

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

150 units is a lot more than i was expecting for some reason

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

sounds like you're around 200+ units

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

LemonDrizzle posted:

Let's play "spot the people who're going to die of cirrhosis before reaching retirement."

its good of them not to cost the nhs money as they live for far too long

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Whatever percent it is, that's how many units per litre.

4% beer will be 4 units per litre, so yeah roughly 2 per pint.

i'm not sure this is correct based on what i see on a can

edit: maybe it is

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

you realise your insomnia is caused by your drinking right

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

serious gaylord posted:

A lot is starting to make sense now.

i'm not sure people are aware how quickly you get minor withdrawal from booze even if its just that you sleep like poo poo for a couple of nights

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

they'll both get knifed in the back by the party they're running for and it'll be a massive shitshow

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

serious gaylord posted:

The republican party has been trying to do that to Trump since he started running and all its done is made him stronger.

they can just give someone else the nomination despite him winning most of it as far as i'm aware due to how its done. i think there is even precedent for it happening. which will be really funny if he then runs as an independent and becomes president totally destroying them

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Extreme0 posted:

News just in. Americans have more common sense then Britian when it comes to voting.

its more that both sets of voters are railing against the establishment which results in sanders/trump. thats only happened to one party here and nowhere near a general election and why would it for the tories

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

i'm not sure advocating using trident on the UK would go down well with the populace as much as they deserve it

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

thatcher didn't go senile as fast as reagan though

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Tesseraction posted:

I'm not sure America will still be around in 20 years, the way it's going.

trump is going to make america great again actually

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Guavanaut posted:

Trump can have all Britain's unwanted Express slogans for all I care.

Except one. Carson can run on the aspirin and fish oil stop cancer platform.

carson is running on the being on oxy all the time platform as far as i can tell

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

MrL_JaKiri posted:

The flip side is that this is a vote that is happening soon. It's not an issue for if Corbyn becomes PM, the Trident renewal vote is happening in March (or possibly June if Cameron pushes it back). It's not a pie in the sky issue, it's an issue for today.

the latest news is he's having the vote after the EU referendum

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

dispatch_async posted:

Devastating news for the Remain campaign.

lmao at the shamelessness of this. i'm impressed

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Which I signed, even though it completely misses the point that the problem isn't Jeremy Hunt, the problem is that any on-message Tory in his position would have done exactly the same.

i'm not sure this is true. There was a fairly senior tory who was pretty scathing about Hunt because they'd had a contract agreed with everyone before he became health secretary and he hosed it all up

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

TinTower posted:

It's illegal to discriminate on the basis of (non-violent) political opinion in Northern Ireland.

Ashers weren't just found guilty of discrimination on the basis of sexuality, they were also found guilty of discrimination on the basis of political opinion.

You all should read the judgment in the case, it's rock solid.

for such an ardent supporter of anti-discrimination its a shame you made a racist post in one of these threads

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Mister Adequate posted:

Whilst there are problems with saying someone is "acting white" or whatever, if someone is acting in a manner consistent with enforcing/supporting white privilege, it's probably okay to call them out on it, even if you yourself are white? Like it might not be the classiest way of doing so and, yes, it's probably better left for the community in question to make the criticism anyway, people ITT act like she is Nick Griffin IRL, not someone who made a good point in a possibly unwise way.

you use far too many commas

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Guavanaut posted:

idk, that was a photoshop. I hope they exist.

why? they sound disgusting

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Hoops posted:

That coconut post was absolutely outrageous. Like, do a double take, rub your eyes, cannot believe what you are actually seeing outrageous. But it was a mistake that has hopefully been learned from, perhaps it can act as a parable against the tendency to jump on somebody's previous poorly chosen words and act as though it invalidates everything else they ever say.

i don't really care but said poster was getting outraged and i felt like bringing it up

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

i don't think peter tatchell was responsible for that

• Locked thread