Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Madcosby
Mar 4, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Pawn 17 posted:

All this Zika poo poo is scary TBH. Especially considering it can be transmitted sexually and can cause microcephaly.

This is going to be the first summer in four years where I dont bang smoking hot medal winning beach volleyball babes

prob gonna be my worst summer ever, in terms of puss

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Madcosby
Mar 4, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
I feel the pre-season narrative for every Summer Olympics is "shitshow stirrin!" but this one is extra special

When I was in Brazil, we flew to Rio and took a bus immediately to a little town deep in the mountains, about 4 hours away. On the way there, one of the people's luggages fell off the bus and was found later by the local authorities... who immediately called his relatives back home to tell them he was kidnapped and should expect a ransom call soon.

We finally were able to call back to the States two weeks later, the family was exhilirated to find out he was alive. The police just replied "oh, wow, we just figured you were kidnapped and died before you could give the kidnappers your contact info"

Madcosby
Mar 4, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Microwaves Mom posted:

So whats the story on the orgy camp? How did this come about?

You remember college spring break? Where everyone is getting drunk and loving?

Now imagine a month long spring break, where everyone is drunk and there are literally zero fatties.

Madcosby
Mar 4, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Turd Burglar posted:

Someone never watched the women's weightlifting

Tons of fatstrong chick's there

thats why ive never watched it

Madcosby
Mar 4, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

"An ostentatious gesture," Bach said of Obama announcing he wouldn't fly there.

Instead Obama sent a contingent of former athletes, most of them openly gay.

"It's kind of cheap," said Dick Pound, a longtime Olympic administrator and, rather embarrassingly now, the former head of WADA, said at the time. "This is how the United States of America, the world's most important, influential nation handles this issue? In an Olympic context, at a time when you're thinking about bidding for the Olympic Games?"

Madcosby
Mar 4, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Roylicious posted:

This is funny because basically the Russians had some super involved doping scheme going on right?

it involved a hole inthe wall where they passed urine through

now the US DoJ is investigating Russia. WW3 will be fought over PEDS

good thing the DoJ isnt investigating professional sports in the US

Madcosby
Mar 4, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
How does weightlifting work in Olympics (or competition)

dont they know how much they can lift before the event?

Or do they always try just a bit more during the competition

Madcosby
Mar 4, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
Zikacon gonna rule

Madcosby
Mar 4, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

nerdz posted:

I'd risk saying it's VW, Fiat and GM cars to latin america.

brazil is also the third biggest airplane maker in the world

do all their planes have ridiculously oversized tailwings?

Madcosby
Mar 4, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
Zika and the 2016 Olympics are all just a conspiracy to make eSports more practical

Madcosby
Mar 4, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

hemophilia posted:

Explain in a way somebidy who doesnt give a poo poo might understand

Madcosby
Mar 4, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
ISIS arrives in Rio, looks around, asks who beat them there

Madcosby
Mar 4, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
Rename NBC to the snuff channel during the olympics

Madcosby
Mar 4, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
Is it common to have urban professional bicycle races on cobblestone streets, even partially?

Madcosby
Mar 4, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

This is the greatest wiki article ever

Madcosby
Mar 4, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
To be fair, Rio's been p lovely but a huge tourist attraction for over 30 years. Not everyone that goes there gets hurt

You can go to Rio and have a good time

Madcosby
Mar 4, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
I'm just saying that obviously 100% of tourists this summer in Rio are not going to get mugged, killed, or even bumbummed

If you have a friend or someone going to RIo, I wouldnt talk them out of it, I'd just drop a "be safe"

If I had to put a percentage on it, I'd say by the end of the olympics 1% of the tourists will have experienced a bad time(be a victim of something). That's a large percentage, but nowhere near the hellscape I would convince someone to walk away from

Madcosby
Mar 4, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Moridin920 posted:

Okay and I'm just saying by that person's own admission they are hiring armed guards to protect them while they are there, which imo is not something you should have to do while trying to be on a cool vacation.

are you a betting man?

I agree; armed guards is a bit much and not a good way to keep a low, tourist profile

but yes, I am a betting man

1 in every 100 tourists will be angry, upset, or dead by closing ceremonies. I see you dont have plat. Are you thinking what Im thinking

dont go to Rio and fudge these numbers you monster

Madcosby
Mar 4, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

I found the site you visited for all these testimonials doing a search for crime in rio

What you posted is the equivalent of visiting a burn center in a hospital and arguing that 100% of patients in hospitals are being treated for burns

im gonna win this bet

you gonna hum on my sweaty balls

thats right

the stakes have changed

Madcosby
Mar 4, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
The unifying power of the games and the spirit of healthy competition are going to keep everyone safe at the olympics

Madcosby
Mar 4, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
whoops sorry bob costas jumped on my computer

Madcosby
Mar 4, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
ok maybe this is lookin pretty bad

Rio gonna be a new hellscape where only the strong survive

and mug the weak

Madcosby
Mar 4, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
I never gave a gently caress about rowing before, I only like the shitshow news

im sorry you have to row while I sit back and laugh

Madcosby
Mar 4, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
I also did missionary work in Brazil.

We were trying to convert the Catholics to Methodists. There were no non-Catholic or even non-religious people anywhere

I was invited to build an orphanage, not for the religious indoctrination stuff. I was supposed to finish one dorm and all we got done instead was one wall and a staircase. When locals found out there were American missionaries in town, they raised their prices astronomically high that we couldnt afford the bricks and stuff we needed to build the orphanage. We also brought a medical team and medicine that did do a lot of good work and gave away free meds and eyeglasses, but it was all done in the Methodist church in whatever village we were in just as a reminder that "this Methodist church got your back, yo"

Madcosby
Mar 4, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

unpacked robinhood posted:

re: humanitarian stuff, from a logistics and labor point of view how is sending unqualified people overseas to "build" something anything but show.

Surely you could hire local builders and workers for a tenth of the price and make them build the drat thing ? It's just as valid a reason to travel outside of your comfort zone and do something worthwhile and meeting poors etc.
But I always find it a bit condescending to say "Mm sure we lilly white people dug a well in africa" when africans would probably be able to dig a well just a good under competent supervision idk

This is a big part of it; a lot of youth do it to pad their resumes. I can conveniently say I went as a dirty old man with a career at home; I went because my dad was invited (he was a doctor, not religious) and I thought it'd be a buddy trip getting along with my dad. The group did bring a lot of doctors but very few engineers and professional contractors signed up, so they took me because I had the skills, just didnt do it professionally. Obviously in Brazil there's 100s of people more qualified to do the job I did (mostly mason work), but I did do it for free and I was working under a professional contractor (who was also working for free)

When we were building the dorms, we lost 3 walls in the process. Free labor: you get what you pay for. When we couldnt afford the bricks we needed to finish the walls, we made our own; ours were so brittle they would crush in your hand. I am proud to say I'm the only person who completed a wall!

Christ was with me

I did meet a lot of youth who were interested in becoming pastors and church folk and such, so I dont think its wrong for them to do it, but most of the kids were there literally explaining to me that missionary work looked great when applying to colleges. I just nodded and praised the lord

( i also lied on my missionary application - they needed a letter from a pastor or clergyman and I told them that NYC was a city of heathens and me and my friends meet up each weekend and play the guitar and talk about our experiecnes with christ)

Madcosby
Mar 4, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
Not to derail further but never go to a peace corp party

white people that go to the peace corp come back insufferable

i admit its not really all bad but holy gently caress going to a party in nyc with a bunch of people that all told me how great their work was in [3rd world] and then complain that their cell phones dont get good reception or that we're out of kale almost sent me into madness

Madcosby
Mar 4, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

im so going to lose my bet that rio olympics will be safe

c'mon opening ceremonies spewing forth kindness and comraderie

Madcosby
Mar 4, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Blizzy_Cow posted:

https://youtu.be/BC0QWZXN_vM

Don't think they're miss bumbum, but this will do.

i would climb an electric pole to see this

Madcosby
Mar 4, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Fire Barrel posted:

I wonder how many medals are going to be stolen during the games.

but the Russians were banned?

(dad olympic jokes itt)

Madcosby
Mar 4, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

steinrokkan posted:

what about diarrhea tourism

all traveling in the southern hemisphere is diarrhea tourism

Madcosby
Mar 4, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
I think the opening ceremonies will go well, nothing technically astounding like a broadway show, but rio's obviously put on live events before for soccer games and such and they can handle a parade of people.

My guess is there will be the lighting of the torch in some non-spectacular way, like [BRAZIL SOCCER STAR] runs up a staircase and lights it, followed be [BRAZIL MUSIC SENSATION] sings some song, followed by a horde of people in Carnival style outfits doing a number or two then the usual parade of countries begins.

So p much an easy show to put together that captures the Rio spirit, and nothing technically difficult to organize (like Beijing's opening ceremonies)

You wont remember anything about it, unless [ISIS/LOCAL FAVELA TERRIBLENESS] arrives

there will prob be a few stands full of flares that have to be evacuated, but nothing tragic

Why on earth do I think these things will go well?

Madcosby
Mar 4, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Madcosby
Mar 4, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Lime Tonics posted:

Oh man, they literally are describing the opening as MacGyver'ed

Olympic organisers invoke MacGyver to describe spirit of opening ceremony

Olympic organisers invoked the spirit of cult 1980s television show MacGyver to describe their attempts to make Rio’s bargain-bucket opening ceremony live up to the memory of its predecessors.

“Athens was classic, Beijing was grandiose, London was smart - ours is going to be cool,” said Andrucha Waddington, the Brazilian film director who is part of the team behind Friday’s ceremony in Rio’s Maracana stadium.

The ceremony is a joint creative effort, headed by Italian executive producer Marco Balich, a veteran of 17 such bookends of major sporting events, and creative director Fernando Meirelles, the Brazilian whose films include City of God.
Team GB’s medal hunters at Rio Olympics: which sports and how many?
Read more

The team made repeated references to MacGyver – a show about a secret agent who solved complex problems by repurposing everyday items – in portraying a pared-down if not cobbled-together effort that has been produced for a fraction of the cost of Danny Boyle’s London 2012 extravaganza or China’s drummer-laden display of state muscle in 2008.

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2016/aug/04/olympic-organisers-invoke-macgyver-to-describe-spirit-of-opening-ceremony

I wonder if they have the ring failure sochi thing as a backup joke, just in case.

theres a new macguyver movie or tv show or something coming out. Maybe they bribed the opening ceremonies director to make it all about macguyver

also channeling the spirit of macguyver in 2016, lol

Gisele B said that the opening ceremonies will feature her being robbed, Ifeel we wont be able to tell if the shitshow we're watching is staged or not

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Madcosby
Mar 4, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
wow that article

quote:

The ceremony will be based on three “pillars” according to Abel Gomes, another executive producer. The first of these portrays Brazil as humanity’s last remaining “garden” and will carry a strong environmental message. The second is Brazil’s human diversity, which the organisers referenced as a message of hope in dark times, mentioning the uncertainties of both the upcoming US presidential elections and Brexit.

Its going to be about polluted water, macguyer, and donald trump

• Locked thread