Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

No it wasn't; they circled in horrible weather and turbulence for two hours and went through one go-around before the crash. They went through a horrible experience that went for hours and ended in a crash. It's a nightmare.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

Graham got shot in the butt in Donetsk, didn’t he?

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

GreyjoyBastard posted:

I am officially no good at reading Polish anymore. :saddowns:

Today’s actions, including the sailors’ wounding and damage to Ukrainian vessels has its sources in Russia’s continous breaking of international law, Ukraine’s sovereignty and independence.

After the illegal Crimea occupation, fanning the flames in Donbas, building the bridge without agreement from Kiev, Russia now breaks the law of free sea movement. With all force, we condemn Russia’s aggressive actions, call on it to respect intl law and call on both sides to reffrain from escalation, which could threaten european stability.

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

So what is the actual legal status of the Kerch straight and international traffic transiting through? I see Russia’s case is built over the Ukrainian ships being military vessels, and thus exempt from free transfer rights governed by Russia as the straight’s owner. A risky precedent, considering Russia is dependent on Turkey for Black Sea - Mediterranean transits.

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

LeoMarr posted:

Can you give more details to this id like to know more.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nadiya_Savchenko

On 15 March 2018, the Attorney General of Ukraine Yuriy Lutsenko charged Savchenko with preparing a terrorist attack on the Ukrainian parliament.[86] According to Lutsenko, she planned dropping the building of the Verkhovna Rada using mortar fire and finish off all survived members of the Rada with automatic weapons.[87] On 15 March 2018 Lutsenko asked parliament to annul Savchenko’s parliamentary immunity in order to prosecute and arrest her.[87]

Savchenko believes that Ukraine should become "more or less a dictatorship" with a strong leader to stand up to Russia and win,[91] with Augusto Pinochet, Margaret Thatcher, Angela Merkel, Ronald Reagan and Nelson Mandela as examples.[91] Savchenko has suggested Ukraine should accept the 2014 Russian annexation of Crimea as an attempt to end the War in Donbass.[91]

Mokotow fucked around with this message at 10:05 on Dec 1, 2018

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

Baronjutter posted:

What would happen if Russia rolls the tanks into Kiev right now? Nothing?
Ukraine has a population of 44 million - orders of magnitude greater than Chechenya, Afganistan or anywhere else Russia has been involved in militarily in the last 50 years. It’s also a country thats thousand of kilometers across, and the logistics involved into maintaining an occupation force would be mind boggling. According to my armchair general analysis, by the time they’d get to Dniepr, low-level insurgencies in the north-east would effectively tie them down. Moving further east is super risky, as there’s basically nothing until you reach Lviv and the NATO border. By this time Eastern Ukraine is guaranteed to open up western forces, causing a quagmire of unspeakable proportions. That’s just the military - geopolitics and social aspects of this complicate it further.

I won’t say it won’t happen because the last ~25 years did, but it certainly would be the end of the Russian Federation as we know and love.

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

steinrokkan posted:

And the point is??? Rail is still the most efficient means of moving heavy things over land. They do have other transport options should operational needs demand them. If anything, it was pointed out during the Crimea crisis that the Russians had a greater ability to dynamically pull troops from well behind the frontlines than their European counterparts. Lots of the guys who ended up in Crimea or Donetsk / Lugansk were relocated straight from Siberia rather than from closer, European republics.

In non-contested, home territory. Every rail bridge along the way would be blown to bits within days, though I admit I’m probably overestimating Ukrainian armed forces.

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

mobby_6kl posted:

The Gdansk guy nie żiyje.

This is a valiant effort with our horrible plane crash of a language and I salute you.

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

Poland is mentally like a mini-US, down to the common assumption that everyone is a temporarily embarrassed millionaire.

Mokotow fucked around with this message at 09:07 on Feb 1, 2019

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

Kaczynski’s recorded refusal to pay for uncontracted services rendered, along with his suggestion to the Austrian businessman to sue the foundation to justify payments, and PiS politicians’ comments that this is all amazingly honest, led to a running meme where people tell a story how they went to a place of business or a store, got something from there but refused to pay, telling the proprietor to sue them and how everyone else then stood up and clapped and admired them for their honesty.

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

aphid_licker posted:

What was the historic building they tore down to make room?

The building’s still there, it’s a late XIX-century nondescript industrial construction adapted into office space.

It’s Srebrna 16, Warsaw if you want to see it on Google Maps.

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

I actually think this thing is distracting from the ex-minister of defence Macierewicz’s lackeys being arrested over corruption and the actual chance that PO is going to capitalize on it is kinda weak. The zoning back and forth is a normal thing in downtown Warsaw, for better or for worse, and the answer to the question if Kaczynski can do business as an active politician, either through a foundation or a company or whatever else, is legally ambiguous. The shittiest thing for me here is the assumption that one of the leading banks (which, I think, is co-owned by the state?) is basically guaranteed to give a loan through implied political pressure.

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

It’s pretty crazy Mariott and Elektrim we’re already penned in pretty much where they ended up being built ~20 years later, albeit in a different form. Also, I remember early 90’s Pasaz Wiecha and it was more Blade Runner than Blade Runner, but maybe in a different way these sketches show.

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

anilEhilated posted:

Aw hell, here I was hoping the historical building they wanted to get rid of in Warsaw was the Palace.
Better luck next time, I guess.

You mean the palace of culture? It’s pretty awesome and hosts a gazillion cultural and educational institutions in a way no other building or buildings could so :shrug:

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

So what’s the thread’s opinion of Biedroń’s Wiosna? Seems like a great fantasy programme that’ll be impossible to implement because it goes against every other party on the political spectrum. There’s even a proposal to fix healthcare now, as if that could be done in a fortnight.

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

In Dusseldorf, they do paczki/berliner/krapfen day here too today, although different fillings/toppings. I miss the real deal, but it could be worse. Also, the Dutch across the border do their own version, oliebollen, which are more like the deepfried paczki with crunchy bits like babcia made, but more round, heavier and oilier, too.

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

Polish parliamentary elections coming up on the 13th. As usual, nothing to choose from. An online questionnaire matched me with a crusty old SLD gently caress and I’m not gonna vote for these fucks. Razem has been basically MIA for the past ~year, Wiosna is... I don’t even know wtf it’s supposed to be, and I think I’ll break my own vow to never vote for the lesser evil and go Kidawa-Blonska, though I really really really don’t want to have anything to do with the center right.

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

szary posted:

SLD is now SLD + Wiosna + Razem. Maybe I'm naive but I'll give them the benefit of the doubt and accept that Czarzasty's SLD is different to Miller's SLD. I am not voting for KO in a million years.

Yeah, same. We sat down at home tonight and went through the matching candidates - there are some ok folks on the lefty super list, though you have to dig to find any info about them and I doubt they’ll actually get in. Beats KO, though.

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

Exit Poles (haha) are in and while PiS, as expected, won, they haven’t actually gained any seats and it’s still possible they’ll actually be worse off. Also, rumor mill has it they lost the Senate, so the next 4 years could be much tougher for them.

Good news - the left is back in with over 11% and the turnout was the highest since the 89 vote. PSL will probably be the kingmaker now. Bad news - we also have Konfederacja in the parliament - first time an openly pro-Russian party makes it in, not counting SLD, natch.

Personal note - it was a lovely day and watching the crowds in downtown Warsaw going to vote, then for a stroll in the parks was great, seeing how on any other day everyone’s a miserable poo poo and the weather sucks.

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

Korwin is likely to be the senior marshal as the eldest parliamentarian, which means he’d be presiding over the Sejm’s opening session. He’s back in tv studios today, calling all other participants drunk thieves and going after Rymanowski, who moderated the morning chat show on TVN. :allears:

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

Mr Luxury Yacht posted:

That is the dumbest thing to give a poo poo about.

Like holy poo poo for what possible reason would someone who isn't a linguistics professor even care about a language's origins?

Lingual history is murky enough to be a potent base for nationalist lore building. It seems to play really well with extending the historic background of some european ethnicities over the 1000-year mark record keeping limitations impose on them. It results in some fantastic nationalist fan fiction, like the extraterrestrial Slav origin theory.

Mokotow fucked around with this message at 06:55 on Nov 12, 2019

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

Start here:

https://www.eurozine.com/slavic-conspiracy-theories-as-non-scientific-historical-narratives/

The space Slavs are an off-shoot of the proto global Old Pagan Slav Gods civilization theory and oh god why do I even know this.

Also, Google Turbo Slavs. But, in case you don’t feel like it, the gist of it is that Slavs come from a pre-Sumerian, global civilization that seeded the rest of the world. In case you’re wondering why there are no signs of their glorious cities, it’s because they’re under the ice caps. Now, that civilization had to have come from somewhere, so obviously space Slavs must have been a thing.

Mokotow fucked around with this message at 13:47 on Nov 12, 2019

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

Ardennes posted:

Also, is Russia part of Eastern Europe or not?

Parts of Russia are in Eastern Europe.

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

Spokojnych!

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

Witki mi opadly i nic mi sie nie chce a nowy rok tuz tuz, co robic, co robic

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

Nie rymuje sie, ale blisko.

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

Doing it now, thanks friend. Everyone should check out Gdynia, it’s so chill compared to everywhere else here.

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

Batka is down with the roni :pray:

Edit: ahfuck, he HAD it, just told everyone post factum. poo poo.

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

I’m somewhat impressed they weren’t

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

Sekenr posted:

E2: I've seen army the in the city, on hummers aren't we sanctioned?

I thought they’re hummers, but they’re actually a Chinese knock-off equipped by a special forces unit.

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

goblin week posted:

Big fan of Polish armchair strategists saying we have to support Lukashenko because otherwise Russia will annex Belarus and then they’ll be at our doorstep!!!!!

Where are you seeing this, sounds like Wypok.

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

Downtown Minsk is getting blockaded apparently and people on the way there frisked or outright arrested.

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

Few things I’m seeing: paddy wagons are out exclusively out after young men. Quite often they’ll leave women or teens on the street.

There doesn’t seem to be that much capacity in local jails. After the first day, they’re completely full, and it seems protesters are banking on overloading the penitentiary system. Many people released fairly quickly.

There’s zero live weapons. Even the special unit seen and hour or two ago in Minsk is carrying mostly non-lethal.

Protesters are moving across the city in smaller, faster groups, aiming to exhaust the riot geared cops. I’m curious to see how this works out today.

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

First confirmed death of the day in Minsk on the protester side. Many protester in cars, so some videos around with HOMO OMON getting run over.

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

Video now online of a whole unit of russian anti-riot police in Minsk downtown.

https://twitter.com/poleschukg/status/1292939698374148096?s=21

Mokotow fucked around with this message at 22:53 on Aug 10, 2020

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

Charliegrs posted:

Do we actually know if these are Russian anti riot police?

Not 100% - people filming from the car as they drive through a crowd of ant riot police remark how the uniforms have russian markings. They also look different than the riot police I’ve been seeing on video all day.

https://twitter.com/et_fullhd/status/1292940335308562432?s=21

Mokotow fucked around with this message at 23:25 on Aug 10, 2020

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

The bus driver from a few posts up is now reported as deceased, and there’s another fatality.

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

This tweet claims that they aren’t russian after all, and that it’s a newly formed special forces unit.

https://twitter.com/cwtaml/status/1292943649907585024?s=21

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

Looks like things are wrapping up for the night. Barricades went up for the first time today, but they’re no match for the anti riot trucks.

https://twitter.com/novosyolov/status/1292953264460374024?s=21

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

Is Sekenr back? They haven’t posted since yesterday evening here, and they’ve been participating in the protest. :ohdear: