Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

That's a great casting choice, since I always thought his J. Jonah Jameson looked a lot like the Gordon from Year One.

On the other hand, Simmons as JJJ is pretty much the ideal cast and I don't know if my brain would accept anyone else in the role. I feel the same with Snipes as Blade and Jackman as Wolverine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

First Class was great because it was as much a Roger Moore Bond movie (despite the sixties setting) as it was an X-Men movie.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Mortanis posted:

Shaun of the Dead has A weak rear end ending with the military showing up but it doesn't ruin a loving phenomenal movie. It just solves their problems all Deus ex Machina style.

I loved this part of Shaun of the Dead. Finally a zombie movie where the army actually handles it completely fine. It was the perfect way to end a movie that was both an embrace and a parody of the genre.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Just saw BvS. I was expecting it to be decent, I ended up loving it.

Luthor really is the weakest part of the movie. I get the whole Silicon Valley archetype they were going for and I appreciate that in concept (just like I appreciate the meta silliness of casting Eisenberg as that) but I found his performance too wacky, but also a lot of the weakest plot points of the movie are tied into him. But that's really my biggest quarrel.

For a Justice League setup, Gal Gadot's Wonder Woman was great. The friend I saw it with, who is not a comics fan at all, said it actually made her want to see a Wonder Woman movie.

I wish I could say that it's unbelievable it has such a low score on pretty much every website but given that Marvel fans had decided years ago that it was going to be terrible, and given from the few reviews I read most people (as with MoS) just didn't pay attention at all to what was happening on screen, I guess it's to be expected.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Alvarez IV posted:

My big complaints with the movie involve the Doomsday fight. Took me right out of the movie when they shoehorned in through voiceover the fact that it was taking place in the "totally uninhabited" part of town. Have some balls.

I actually loved this line, along with Wonder Woman incredulously going, "Why did you lead him back into the city!?" It's so obviously directed at the people who bitched about "Superman killed so many people by letting Zod fight him in a city!" So Snyder decided to go out of his way to deflate them. And I don't think it's a cop-out when the first part of the movie not only doesn't reject, but embraces how many people were killed in the Metropolis battle from MoS. They specifically say thousands died, way more than "hundreds" or however many were supposed to have died in Avengers if you managed to freeze the right frame to read the tiny newspaper print in that one episode of Daredevil.

Alvarez IV posted:

Granted, I didn't like any of the Reeves movies, and especially hated Returns, so I guess I'm some other demographic entirely.

I watched the Reeves movies for the first time last year (at least the first two, plus the Donner cut of II) and was struck by how I really didn't like them.

Also, Superman in Superman II outright kills Zod, as well as deliberately fights him in the middle of a city, so I really didn't understand why no one who hates those things in MoS seem to spew the same vitriol towards the Reeves movies.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Basebf555 posted:

Olivia Munn's been dealing with that kind of bullshit her entire career, because she started on a network that only covered video games and other related nerd poo poo(G4), and she was really good looking. So naturally it was assumed she actually doesn't like video games and was just in it for the money. What a terrible person she is, accepting a (probably low paying) position as a t.v. host as a way to get her foot in the door of show business. No principles.

Was she the one who Jezebel attacked for working on The Daily Show, because since she's attractive she has no talent and therefore was only hired because Jon Stewart's a misogynist?

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

On the subject of Thor 2, when the movie came out I remember reading an interview with the director where he made it clear he wasn't happy with the movie as the studio forced edits he didn't want. I remember him saying specifically that the Christopher Eccleston character lost 20 minutes of screentime as a result of the cuts.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Sir Kodiak posted:

Played by real-life Vermont Senator Patrick Leahy, no less.

As of BvS, I think he's now been in more Batman movies than any other actor: Batman Forever, Batman & Robin, TDK, TDKR, and BvS. The runners-up would be Michael Gough and Pat Hingle, who were each in all four Burton-Schumacher films.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Timby posted:

I'll say this for The Wolverine: It's the first X-Men movie since the original to have a score that doesn't suck out loud.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5t7SOyFGCaE

I loved the First Class soundtrack. I was sad that its Magneto theme didn't get reused in Days of Future Past.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Grendels Dad posted:

Martin Sheen and John Leguizamo are both having a ball

The only thing I remember about the Spawn movie is John Leguizamo shouting 'Start the apocalypse now!' to Martin Sheen.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

After listening to like ten episodes of The Canon, I now feel that Faraci is simply an idiot.

It makes me wonder what's wrong with Amy Nicholson that she not only subjects herself to doing it with him, but seems to actually like him.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Luminous Obscurity posted:

I'm honestly curious about this too. Like I know Star Wars nerds will see Star Wars films like three times on the first week, but I always figured most people see a film once, maybe twice in theaters.

There's a Star Wars podcast I listen to and I think each of the three hosts has seen Force Awakens 20 times now, which is just mind-boggling.

...but not as mind-boggling as the fact that the main host apparently saw The Phantom Menace 76 times in theaters. I know this because he recently complained about how mean people are by making fun of him for this.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Sir Kodiak posted:

That does sound entertaining. And, yeah, I figured there'd be something like this, but to put it mildly, I don't think it comes across in the films in the character. As compared to, since Batman has been brought up, the bat demon that shows up in Batman Begins and Batman v Superman.

Now this makes me want to rewatch the animated Batman: Year One again. I liked its depiction of Bruce being inspired by the bat.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Bedshaped posted:

I wonder what kind of story could they tell with standalone Batman. Isn't he pretty much at the end of his career with this latest TDKR inspired story?

I assume it would be a prequel, like Wonder Woman will be. Probably tie in with story of Robin that was hinted at in BvS (which might also tie in with the Joker's story in Suicide Squad).

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Guy A. Person posted:

"I don't know, this reads like a desperation move. Everyone is talking about how poorly BvS is doing and speculating how they are going to cancel everything, so they make this announcement to try and act as if they're okay with the response and everything is going to plan."

- probably Devin Faraci or someone tomorrow

io9 already had this article up within minutes of the announcement. Their article title on the announcement: "Warner Bros. Is in Such Denial Over Batman v Superman"

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Basebf555 posted:

I'd like to see a movie version of Penguin who's basically just a crime boss like he often is in the comics/video games. That way Batman can fight a somewhat eccentric villain but it would still be basically an organized crime story.

I was really surprised that Penguin wasn't one of the villains that Nolan didn't end up using, he seemed like such a natural fit for Nolan for just that reason. I remember after TDK came out Nolan even said something about how Penguin couldn't fit into his universe, which I didn't really get.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Terrible Horse posted:

Also Joker's "superpower" is his ability to arrange wildly complex schemes seemingly by magic (much like Batman). No one wants to see Joker poring over payroll spreadsheets for his various henchmen and bribe recipients.

Well, let's not forget that one of the most notorious Joker storylines, albeit an early one, involves his plans going awry after he's audited by the IRS.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

It's funny to think that the Nolan films are now being held up as the lighter tone that the DC films should emulate, given how there was (especially with TDK) a backlash for them being grimdark at the time. I remember Robert Downey Jr. in particular talking about how he hated TDK for being too dark and complicated, and Justin Theroux promising how Iron Man 2 was going to be the comedic response to TDK (hah).

Not that I agree with those critiques of the Nolan films, I definitely agree that there's a lot more humor in them than their reputation, especially from Alfred.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Pirate Jet posted:

The Dark Knight is a loving incredible movie that I can't talk about because I saw it when I was 16 and immediately became one of *those* people about it and ruined it for all my friends. I rewatch it every year or so and can still defend my position in much less annoying terms, now.

I also see that it seems to be general consensus that TDKR sucks but I haven't heard any good arguments as to why.

I actually think TDKR is my favorite of the Nolan trilogy.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Davros1 posted:

I was more impressed that Marvel somehow got Robert Redford to be in a superhero movie.

Not a superhero movie, a 1970s political thriller!

Actually one thing that made me laugh about Winter Soldier is that it establishes that Black Widow was both a KGB agent and born in 1984. So I would like to see a future MCU movie about the KGB Toddler Division.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Mazzagatti2Hotty posted:

the fact that the Netflix Daredevil tv series is the best superhero media by a mile.

Daredevil season 1 was very good, but lost steam near the end.

I've muddled through half of Daredevil season 2 and am finding it hard to convince myself to continue.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Doggles posted:

All this has happened before, and all this will happen again.

I really hope whatever movie comes after Apocalypse is set in the 90s and has these outfits.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Scyantific posted:

I don't know if it was mentioned yet or if it got lost in Whitewashing talk, but James Gunn confirmed that neither John C. Reilly (Corpsman Day) or Benicio Del Toro (The Collector) will be returning for GOTG Vol. 2

That's a shame, they were basically just cameos but two of my favorites from GOTG. It was especially odd to see John C. Reilly do a grounded role for the first time in a decade or so.

I'll keep my fingers crossed for Peter Serafinowicz and Ralph Ineson.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Wheeee posted:

I can't imagine Danny McBride in a family friendly PG13 comic book movie.

He needs a comic IP that will allow him to channel the full force of Eastbound.

While not a comic adaptation, in terms of space movies, Danny McBride is going to be one of the leads in Ridley's Scott's next Alien movie.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

I just watched the Rogue Cut of Days of Future Past for the first time, not that the theatrical cut is bad by any means, but it was surprising to see just how much certain scenes were diminished by the trimming of a few seconds here and there. Not to mention that I can only imagine how much post work had to be done on the later part of the movie to replace Rogue.

Also, I can't believe I never caught this before, but there's a scene where Magneto levitates glass.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

My favorite RDJ comment was about how going to prison was what turned him into a conservative.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

I had no idea that Seth Grahame-Smith was attached to that movie and am glad that this is the way I'm discovering it.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Marky Marx posted:

Can we not evoke 9/11 and terrorism in a movie I tend to watch to escape from an inherently evil world,

I agree that the MCU movies need to move on from this.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Phylodox posted:

So Fantastic Four just popped up on Netflix and I gave it a watch. After everything I'd heard, I had some pretty low expectations, and it still managed to disappoint. It really is just a mess of a movie. And not just the obviously tacked-on climax, either, although that did propel it to new heights of mediocrity. It all just fails to gel, and there were some astoundingly ugly scenes in there. Reed fighting the soldiers in the forest and then being confronted by Ben stood out in particular.

I was the opposite when I saw FF in the theater, I had heard so much about how it was the worst movie ever, and I didn't think it lived up to that. It's still a terrible movie but there are clear signs that Josh Trank did have an interesting movie at one point until the studio, for whatever reason, stepped in and caused the whole thing to go down the shitter. The fact that Trank of all people involved seems to get sole blame for that movie (and blame in really direct personal ways, like the repeated secondhand story about his dogs allegedly making GBS threads in a rental house or whatever) is still really puzzling.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

"Devin Faraci, the Badass-In-Chief"

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Snowman_McK posted:

It must be a great source of pride for the Al Qaeda in the Marvel universe that they managed to kill literally many, many times as many New Yorkers as an alien invasion.

The driving element behind Civil War should be 9/11 truthers convincing the public that the Avengers let 9/11 happen on purpose.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Burkion posted:

I haven't been keeping up with Dark Knight III, but The Dark Knight Strikes Again was total parody told completely straight faced, as was ASBAR. Too straight faced to laugh at, too ridiculous to take seriously, and too ugly to enjoy.

Dark Knight III is actually not bad so far, but from comments Miller's made, it seems like Brian Azzarello is doing most of the lifting for it.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Didn't the Russos say that since Thanos hasn't really been set up at all so far, they feel like they need to set him up entirely in Infinity War 1?

Talk about payoff for the integrated cinematic universe!

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

DrVenkman posted:

I caught BvS again before it's gone completely from Cinemas and its still ok, but Wonder Woman just upping and leaving for most of the Century is such a weird creative choice that seems oddly limiting. Like, at least Captain America gets frozen for 70 years.

I did laugh at the start of the Winter Soldier when Captain America jumped out of the plane into the ocean with no parachute. I wonder how often he wished he remembered that skill back in 1945 when it could have come in pretty handy.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

McCloud posted:

How did BvS not humanize the heroes? You have Batman driven almost mad by being at ground zero of Super-9/11 and as a result going bonkers

Not to mention the specific part of that where he snapped was when he realized the girl, who was the same age he was when his mother was killed, just had her own mother killed as a result of Superman.

Mazzagatti2Hotty posted:

No it's not. Batman literally becomes a mass-murderer

I love how this has become an accepted fact about BvS online despite it not being in the movie.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

TFRazorsaw posted:

Different characters have different goals, different standards they set for themselves. It's not too hard a concept to wrap one's head around.

So Iron Man isn't deranged because he sets lower standards for himself than Batman and his goals are to kill people, so it's all right. Gotcha.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Timeless Appeal posted:

Is there a reason Marvel isn't doing everything in their power to get Brad Bird to direct a Marvel movie?

Tomorrowland's box-office returns.

Guy A. Person posted:

Yeah I've heard that, it sounds like ridiculous levels of interference where they made them shoot an entirely new climax, so I don't have super high hopes. I was a huge fan of Chronicle so I want to see how interesting that first half is and if it could've been salvaged.

The scene from the climax where Doom casually walked through the base vaporizing terrified soldiers was really effective. Unfortunately it's only like 30 seconds long.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

TheFallenEvincar posted:

If they defeat Apocalypse in this movie there won't be anyone to do 9/11 though....
branching timelines, deeeep

Instead of planes hitting the WTC, it was Logan in a Fastball Special.

Maybe that's how they'll adapt Old Man Logan for the new Wolverine movie, instead of brainwashing him to kill the X-Men, they brainwash him to take down the World Trade Center.

A True Jar Jar Fan posted:

Not even close, First Class and Future Past are both very solid movies.

First Class is not only my favorite X-Men movie, it's one of my favorite comic movies, and if you take out the Nolan trilogy which I think is on a different level, could be my favorite comic movie of all time. There are a few stumbles in it (the black mutant's death scene, the final fight scene is a bit overdrawn) but on the whole it's just so fun. Aside from the quality and chemistry of the actors, I think it's because it draws as much from Bond movies as it does from comic books. Plus, again outside of the Nolan trilogy, I think it has the best score of any comic book movie, one of the few I can actually put on and listen to throughout rather than just enjoy certain tracks from.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Cythereal posted:

Take it with a grain of salt, but BBS is reporting a leak about Justice League's main villain by a guy who leaked a number of accurate details about the BvS movie: Steppenwolf, acting as leader of Darkseid's military forces while saving Darkseid for a brief scene or two to establish him as a more overarching threat.

Devin Faraci, also known as a guy whose last half dozen or so DC movie rumors were debunked within days.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

HIJK posted:

Bucky doesn't have much occasion to smile though.

Why do the Captain America movies have to be so grimdark?

• Locked thread