Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Burkion posted:

Also Young Justice might have better designs, but its story was God awful. Useless, lovely teen angst all over the goddamn place

uh yj has alot of the same character drama beats going on that superhero stories tend to do, i dunno what was uniquely 'teen angst' about it at all

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Basebf555 posted:

Deathstroke as a major character in the movies bums me out because that probably means we're unlikely to get more Manu Bennett in Arrow.

that's good, his plot was done by season 2 and the one time they brought him back in season 3 was really dumb and pointless

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

We are in a comic book movie thread. We have accepted that the content we enjoy watching is trashy on some level. It's why I can enjoy things like Smallville and Supergirl despite knowing that they are not high quality shows.

there's a pretty stark difference between the tv equivalent of junk food and something actively repugnant and crion really clearly is putting the story you're defending in the latter position

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Detective No. 27 posted:

That reminds me of when some Russian composer claimed that the Metal Gear Solid theme song ripped off one of his scores. They're really similar, but everyone claimed it was a super coincidence.

they did stop using it in any future metal gear games once that came to light so i dunno who 'everyone' is in this case

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

the nicest thing i can say about civil war is that it took me weeks to feel like i'd forgotten 90% of what even happened in that movie, compared to age of ultron where it probably took a few days, tops

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

greatn posted:

I think cap ends the film a wanted man on the lamb.

that'll lead to a real tense first 15 minutes of infinity war before everyone decides to be friends again

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Drifter posted:

It's kinda funny, Didn't Winter Soldier or Avengers/Iron Man whatever end with Black Widow telling the government to go gently caress itself and that it wasn't the boss of her? Didn't she also in Winter Soldier spy the poo poo out of things because a super secret organization with no oversight told her to?
What has she been through to change that outlook?

i never realized this before now but how the hell is post-WS black widow not either in jail or hiding out in sweden or some embassy

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

wasn't empire the magazine that had really godawful promo pics whenever an x-men movie was coming out

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Karloff posted:

Alright, after the flashback sequences the film opens in a convoluted (admittedly clearer in the Ultimate Cut) sequence in the desert where a complex situation occurs which Lex Luthor has arranged in order to make Superman look bad. This kicks off the narrative where the public mistrust Superman as they feel he may have had a part in the deaths of some people. This scene is entirely superfluous, the function of it is clearly to give the nebulous public a reason to distrust Superman, but wasn't that what the ending of Man of Steel was meant to achieve, is s fight that destroys a big chunk of a city not controversial enough, why contrive this entirely useless scene? Unless perhaps the thrill of crafting a moment where Superman smashes a terrorist through multiple brick walls and Jimmy Olsen gets shot in the face was too good to pass up.

this scene doesn't exist to provide a reason for the public to doubt superman, it exists to make superman himself(and potentially the viewer) doubt his actions; stopping zod from destroying humanity was very clearly the right thing to do no matter the collateral damage involved, but there's more wiggle room and questions with the scenario lex estbalished

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

i care about superhero movies because it means i get superhero stuff without dealing with all the stupid poo poo in western cape comics

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Kurzon posted:

Why would a bat branding be a death mark in prison? If anything it could be something to brag about.

at the very least the batbrand is basically saying to the guards and law enforcement 'yeah don't bother sticking up for or protecting this guy, The Bat has decided he's bad and deserves extra punishment'

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

When you say Batman was never good, do you mean movie Batman? Or all Batmen? Because MY BATMAN gives petty criminals jobs at Wayne Enterprises and chills with the Justice League

whenever that kinda thing propped up in batman stuff it always rubbed me the wrong way; it's a precursor to tony stark finding and buying the nearest empty building mid-hulk fight so he could destroy it or hulk never once ever killing a person in all his rampages because banner subconsciously did all these amazing calculations to avoid it

it's the author assuring me these heroes and the violent power fantasies i get out of them are Good and Responsible and Marketable, it feels too clean in a convoluted way

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

It's always been funny to me that Green Arrow is the DC guy who's been a committed relationship longer than anyone bar Superman.

the secret to a good marriage is to not be so important that your break-up would be a big event but also not so unimportant that one of you can be killed off for shock value in a big event

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

he said 'villains' not 'chumps'

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

what was the best stan lee cameo so far b/c the worst is almost definitely the civil war one

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

okay yeah i think i can agree with this one

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

McCloud posted:

But that's what I don't get. Why? I mean he hates his dad, doesn't he?

he hates his dad having power over him, so creating something all-powerful and making it subservient to him is a way of conquering his dad

also i'm surprised your original post didn't bring up the 'superman talking to his dead dad' vision

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

was that shot of people getting hit by the waves from the helicarrier crashing originally in winter soldier? i like it but i don't remember it there at all

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

It really is, although if you're too young to remember 9/11 I understand you missing it.

The imagery of calling someone on your cell phone that's trapped in a collapsing downtown office building as they try to decide whether to chance the stairs or wait for help opens a lot of raw wounds even 15 years on.

that's why that scene was good

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

I mean if you're into that sort of thing I guess, felt a bit tacky to me

it's not like it's evoking it for no reason or just cheap shock value, the plot of the movie is very much about the kinds of things fear and the illusion of powerlessness can drive men to do and 9/11 seems like a fair thing to evoke given how american foreign policy has gone since that day

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

if self-importance is what it takes for these studios to make movies that don't go in one ear and out the other then bring it on imo

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Grendels Dad posted:

I tried to think and now I am confused. If mankind Meets Superman is 9/11 and Batman is America, is Batman's reaction and subsequent fight with Superman analogous to the Iraq War? Is... is Superman Saddam Hussein?

superman is an immigrant

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

CelticPredator posted:

Cloverfield worked more for me because it's easier for me to swallow Cloverfield as a monster guised as a national disaster, vs a hero pummeling a bad guy through buildings.

that's why it works imo, the destruction is on the scale of 60 foot monsters because that's how far beyond humanity kryptons are

they're terrifying and incomprehensibly powerful and that makes it easy for the next movie to be about batman dehumanizing superman with some help from 24-hour news channels

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Electromax posted:

I hope this movie turns out decent, the effects look pretty fun even beyond the Inception inspiration everyone's pointed out.

ever since the ending of ant-man this is all i'd been hoping for

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

fatherboxx posted:

Probably a Legacy Virus outbreak, which would explain Wolverine surviving through it.

they could even bs that into a reason why he's aged, his healing factor is so focused on stopping the virus in him from killing him that it can't do anything else

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

whedon pretty much is the 'marvel voice' is the thing though

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Elfgames posted:

except Ironman 1 had the same tone and whedon was nowhere near it as far as i know

yes i realize that

it just seems weird to point to the avengers movies as an example of marvel letting a director go buck wild on tone when it was just them getting a guy who was already well-known for having the kind of authorial voice they'd established for their movies

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Halloween Jack posted:

But I also suspect some viewers are confused about Joker's presence in the film for a reason they don't realize: Joker is more important as an extension of Harley's character than anything else.

this is why i liked suicide squad joker; he's not given this awed spotlight where he can do all these incredible crimes and be some kind of anthropomorphized chaos, he's just the protagonist's lovely boyfriend who no one knows what she sees in him

and that rules

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

The MSJ posted:

Inhumans replacing mutants in the comics being an Ike Perlmutter thing makes perfect sense when you realise it's a group of characters representing oppressed minorities being replaced by a people who gained power through eugenics and slavery.

is there something i don't know about ike perlmutter going on here

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

well why not posted:

we don't have The CW where I'm from or where I live - what percentage of it is funded by cashing in on teen thirst?

well they have supernatural, all their other shows casting ridiculously attractive people for fans to get in a bother over combined could barely scratch how nuts that fandom gets over the actors on that

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Gatts posted:

Is Thanos gonna be involved wirh this one for GotG or are they avoiding it?

at best he'll appear post-credits looking at earth going 'so that's where they are' and cackling evilly

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

hey guys i got a hilarious joke for you

i am groot

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Guy Goodbody posted:

That wasn't the joke, the joke was Drax's absurd over-reaction.

those were both jokes but one of them was so boring it didn't parse as a joke to you

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Burkion posted:

Hancock is like, half of a great movie.

agreed but not the half of the movie people usually mean when they say this

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Mordiceius posted:

Seems like a whole lot of people in this thread have the view that "You can only watch good movies and you're not allowed to enjoy films that some consider mediocre."

I'm not trying to shut down criticism of Marvel films as there is plenty to criticize, but goddamn can this thread be insufferable at times.

name people who've been doing this and try to discuss it with them specifically because doing vague 'some people are being rude and mean and bad unlike me' really does come off like trying to shut down criticism

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Away all Goats posted:

I assumed his culture/language just doesn't include figures of speech, not that he's psychologically incapable of eventually learning and using them.

the trailer also already establishes him being less literal than the previous film w/him talking about the two types of beings in the universe

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

i dunno if i'd say 'blandness' is the point of xandarr's aesthetic so much as they're the only ones that give a poo poo about looking presentable(in public at least, the kiln is just as grime-y and lovely looking as knowhere), which kinda ties into ronan being pissed that the treaty will just sweep everything under the rug and pretend everything's all clean and friendly and generations of his family totally haven't died at the hands of xandarr, the dude who makes it a point to look like he really needs to wash his face is attacking cleanliness itself

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

I know this is probably "organic webshooters" territory, but I really don't like that Spider-Man, the perennial "just scraping by" superhero (at least in theory) is getting fed cool poo poo from hyper-capitalist Iron Man.

yeah that era in comics where peter was tony's protoge was cool for like half a minute but then spider-man comics ended up really boring until the devil made everyone forget who spider-man was so he could go back to the relatable 'just scraping by' stuff

but i dunno maybe kids these days dream less about the freedom of swinging across new york city and more about being groomed by peter thiel

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Zzulu posted:

for bein a genius, spiderman is pretty drat bad at getting a job apparently

foreverially poor, despite superpowers and superintellect

realtalk it would make alot of sense to how spider-man stories tend to go if peter parker had adhd

and not in the haha 'distracted by shiny things' tv adhd, the actual 'has hella trouble in school or keeping down a job that utilizes your intelligence' kind

boy makes his one nuts scientific innovation(web-slingers) but doesn't do much more science poo poo beyond that because crime-fighting ends up so much more stimulating than being cooped up in a lab

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Equeen posted:

I will take back every bad thing I've said about the MCU if the new Spider-man movies show Peter growing into a mature and well-adjusted adult with a loving wife and a happy famhahahahaha I need to stop daydreaming!!

:smith:

agreed homecoming would sound way better if his mentor was hawkeye

• Locked thread