Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Kulkasha posted:

I feel like they would have to get someone like Aronofsky or Jodorowsky to direct Sandman for it to really work.
Gilliam might pull it off, but as long as I'm wishing for impossible things, I'd like to see him take on The Invisibles or The Filth.

e: Sandman might work best as a series of films or, in a pinch, a high-budget TV show with a different director for each installment/episode, all of them with distinctly different styles. Gilliam, Jodorowsky, Lynch, maybe even Winding Refn. (Speaking of, is there anything recent about the Incal movie?)

My Lovely Horse fucked around with this message at 11:57 on Mar 8, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Electromax posted:

JJ just needs to follow Peter Parker on twitter. "DM me those action shots Pete"
JJJ as a traditional print holdout who constantly gets upstaged by Parker's livestreams and tweets would be an amazing angle. Actually, screw the secret identity, he could just be on social media as Spider-Man. Wear a GoPro, it'd be amazing.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

The Watchmen film ending completely ignores the point that Ozymandias' whole deal is following in Alexander the Great's footsteps. The squid is the sword that strikes through the Gordian Knot that is Earth's politics. The solution has to be outrageous, unorthodox and to a degree unbelievable - if you're reading Watchmen for the first time, it comes completely out of nowhere, but that's the way it has to be to work. Using Doc Manhattan, who is wholly engrained in Earth's politics and even the reason they're in the state they're in, as a solution is like trying to solve the Gordian Knot by tugging juuust the right thread, and it's the one that's looped through all the other ones and itself the most. It's a flagrant misunderstanding of one of the book's central themes, one of its major characters, and the point of the historical legend.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

computer parts posted:

That kind of only works once though, and Ghostbusters already did it.
I'm not sure what I'll do if the reboot has the squid.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

That just makes me want an Authority movie.

"Hey, newsflash: there's a higher governing body now, it's us. Shape up."

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Neo Rasa posted:

Superman vs. Godzilla is a movie I would watch.
I'm still waiting for a buddy's idea to see the light of day, Alien vs. Predator vs. Asterix.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

X-Men trailer looks great but is so dramatic and high-stakes that I wish they'd start the Deadpool integration right there.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Preacher kind of does that. Bits of it, at least. The bits where Ennis actually picks consistent characterization over edgy stuff, so not a lot of bits if I'm honest. Maybe we'll get more of it in the show?

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

That's what I was trying to get at but yeah in retrospect I was still too generous. In truth it's more that Jesse keeps talking about how the power of the Word has moral implications and that he should definitely exercise caution using it and then, with flimsy or no justification, doesn't.

Ennis can be pretty decent when he's on point but in Preacher that occurs almost never. Watching the trailer for the show I was like "whoa, this is only barely like the comics... actually that's probably gonna work in its favour."

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

I didn't see Ant-Man specifically because Edgar Wright didn't end up doing it. :colbert:

Probably still will eventually. Which is the way I watch most of these, actually. Deadpool was the first one in a long time I wanted to see in theaters.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

MonsieurChoc posted:

You know, I really want a Doom Patrol movie. The Brotherhood of Dada deserves to be on the big screen.

Although thinking about it modern special effects might be too good for the Doom Patrol. It needs to have those weird camera tricks and puppets of 80s mid-budget horror movies to really work.
If I had Movie Producer Money I'd give as much of it as he wants to Terry Gilliam to make this happen.

Freakazoid_ posted:

Spawn is a good movie.

You have to live the rest of your life knowing that I believe this and that I post on these forums.
I cannot believe McFarlane is trying to get another one made in the year 2016. Actually I can't believe Spawn is still being published. I'm rereading it and it's so terrible.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Boogaleeboo posted:

The best part is they actually have used her really well to date.
Although it's not exactly hard to use a character better than McFarlane does.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Gyges posted:

It's a given that all articles will talk about how much Joker sucks because it isn't Ledger Joker.
I've been firmly on the side of White Trash Joker since I saw that first publicity shot. The only thing I'm worried about is that they're going to play it too seriously. It's almost a parody of the idea of the Joker and should be treated as such.

e: also, not to turn this into my comic reading blog, but... Spawn actually gets sort of not-terrible after issue 120 or so, although that might just be Stockholm syndrome setting in. It's like McFarlane went and said, okay, we've been faffing about for ten years, how about we start actually plotting some of this stuff and cutting some of the fat from the setting, cast and dialogue. It's not amazing but it suddenly became at least servicable.

I'm bracing myself for the other shoe to drop, though. This can't be made to last.

e2: no fat was cut from the art.

My Lovely Horse fucked around with this message at 08:30 on Mar 31, 2016

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Literally The Worst posted:

The rest of Spawn is terrible made up as you go bullshit
The Spawn movie experience isn't authentic unless there are like three villains, and they all show up with little introduction and are unceremoniously dispatched. This entire process takes five minutes for each. The rest of the runtime is almost entirely skyline shots of Manhattan with brooding voiceover. Sam & Twitch or the Fitzgeralds are set up as supporting characters in the first 15 minutes and then disappear without a trace until the showdown.

e: villains are Overt-Kill, Cy-Gor and Curse, for maximum "inconsequential cyborg" content and hyphenation.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Grendels Dad posted:

Because being a Lantern can get pretty lonely and melee-ing is one of the few chances anyone has to get into contact with others. It's a social event!
Except for Mogo, obviously.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

I was unaware that this was a thing that was happening.

So was my girlfriend, who isn't into comics at all, and yet when I told her there was a movie in the works called Doctor Strange, she immediately said "who's playing him, Cumberbatch?"

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

I used to work in a theater and apart from having to run three movies simultaneously, there was no sound in the booth anyway. And these days you launch files from a computer terminal. Went to a theater the other day where the terminal wasn't even in the booth, just set up in the foyer. As one of the perks, I did get to see Fellowship of the Ring about six times. Then Two Towers came out and I don't know if it was the movie itself or fatigue from making a double feature of it, but halfway through I was like "gently caress this poo poo" and never touched a piece of LotR media since.

The movie I watched the most in the shortest amount of time was without a doubt the South Park movie, but on VHS. We're talking every single day for two weeks and regularly for a good deal of time afterwards. And stuff like Big Lebowski has to be up there in the double digits just by virtue of how long I've had it.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Gyges posted:

Kurt, you're breaking my heart with that haircut. You're better than that.
He's German in the 80s. Mutant or not, there's only so far you can escape from that.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Guy A. Person posted:

Hey now, Spawn was pretty bad but I'm sure with the success of the Walking Dead Image comics will be making a major comeback anytime now!
Speaking of which, I'm up to issue 150.

I was saying earlier how it kinda got readable after #120 and I was waiting for the other shoe to drop, and #150 is the point where it basically plunges through the earth's crust.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Neo Rasa posted:

Not saying those are the worst movies ever made or Civil War will be bad but just that unless a MC/DCU movie is a legit total historically bad in all ways Manos: The Hands of Fate caliber disaster film the pre-release word will always be super positive.
Even then it's gonna be "already on the road to becoming a cult classic."

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

I loving hate trailers nowadays. I think I would have enjoyed BvS a lot more if every good line wasn't in the trailer. What sucks most is I managed to avoid all trailers until I saw Force Awakens. I was excited until I finished BvS and realized I had already seen the good parts.
I kinda felt that way about Deadpool, actually. There were multiple scenes where I zoned out a bit because it was like "alright, it's that scene now." To be fair though that was my own fault for watching every bit of promo material I could get my hands on.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

sean10mm posted:

I don't see Doctor Strange working unless they go completely hambananas and embrace the insanity of :catdrugs: SORCEROR SUPREME OF THE EARTH DIMENSION ASTRAL TRAVEL TRIPPIN' BALLS :catdrugs:

Try to make that "grounded" and you get...like... a shitter version of that old Eddie Murphy movie The Golden Child or something?
That's my main concern. I should probably point out though that I haven't read a single Doctor Strange story and in fact wasn't really aware they were making a movie until I saw the pics of Cumberbatch in costume. What it is is more that I've been getting into Grant Morrison's stuff and I figure for about the next decade or ever this is my one chance to see a movie that's maybe a little bit, however fleetingly, like it.

It's encouraging that they got Cumberbatch because he strikes me as a guy who's not adverse to delving into that sort of thing if the part supports it.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Oh man, Tilda Swinton. Gonna be great.

Good Soldier Svejk posted:

does anyone think Zack Snyder made a mistake doing Watchmen
yes

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

http://marvel.wikia.com/wiki/Peeping_Tom_%28Earth-616%29

His design is... it's something.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Okay, I'll play Forbush Man, but I want my :10bux: back.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

I think it is. Not the same recording, but it is.

Civil War comes out Thursday, gonna see it Sunday, should I go to the trouble and squeeze in Iron Man 3/Age of Ultron/Ant-Man before? Feel free to treat this as an "and/or" kind of question.

e: I'm picking up on subtle vibes that it's gonna be a quite strong no on Ultron

My Lovely Horse fucked around with this message at 18:08 on Apr 25, 2016

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Xealot posted:

Sure, but I'd think the main barrier is getting a hot-poo poo actor to commit to one role for a decade of their career. As I understand it, Joaquin Phoenix passed on Dr. Strange for that exact reason.
That must be why they got Cumberbatch. Can't really get worse than Sherlock in that aspect.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Are we taking Civil War discussion to its own thread? Just checking, I stayed away from this thread since Thursday and I'm not reading through 500 posts. :v:

My local theater managed to inflate the runtime by a whole hour with an wholly unnecessary, but at least well timed break and a trailer preroll that had every single nerd film of the next two years in it. (Independence Day starts with "it's been 20 years" and I was like, yeah, sure feels like it by now). This did give me the chance to see the Doctor Strange trailer in 3D and I gotta say, I think that's gonna be one that will actually lose something in 2D. Seeing it in theaters for sure now.

Also kind of a pity I'm following this thread because if that trailer, in 3D, had been the first I'd learned of a) a Doctor Strange movie with b) Benedict Cumberbatch and c) Tilda Swinton, I would have flipped my poo poo.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

By the way, a few weeks ago we were talking about how the surrounding area in Marvel action scenes is always miraculously devoid of civilians and someone quipped they'd awkwardly insert an evacuation order before the big airport fight scene, and I thought you should know that's exactly what happens.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

how do y'all feel about the skyscrapers being empty in Fight Club?

The MSJ posted:

I found the best thread on the Civil War IMDB message board.

To be fair, that's the Spider-Man scene. I mean duh.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Terrorist Fistbump posted:

War without casualties, violence without wounds, etc.

[Civil War spoilers]Not sure how it ties into that precisely, but it's interesting to note that Rhodes ends up paralyzed and consequences are shown more or less realistically. By the end of the film he's relearning to walk using an exoskeleton that's not unlike real world therapy methods, as opposed to some technomagical complete repair of the spinal column or what have you, and it kind of surprised me considering this is a world where they build entire synthetic human bodies. It's a selective depiction of consequences, and the scene strongly feels like an acknowledgement of injuries real-world soldiers sustain. Like they deliberately avoided having some kind of Stark Industries artificial spine and showing him walking around, because it could have been seen as disrespectful to people who do get injured in real life combat and do have to relearn to walk using similar gear.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Terrorist Fistbump posted:

Interesting. How does this fit into the broader themes of the movie? I wasn't planning on seeing it, but if there's enough interesting stuff in there, I will.
They don't spend as much time on the actual main Civil War issue as I wished they had, but that particular scene actually does tie in with it as Rhodes ends up telling Tony he may have gotten a raw deal taking his side, but he's still convinced it was the right thing to do.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

TFRazorsaw posted:

Making the Ancient One an Asian who's not from Tibet would be equally as bad as casting Tilda Swinton is
so it would be excellent :colbert:

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Caught up with my MCU movies last night as I spotted Iron Man 3 on Netflix, it was much better than I thought. No high aspirations to social or political commentary, just a silly superhero movie.

How was the general reaction back then when they announced Ben Kingsley as the Mandarin? Discounting the plot twist, as "Ben Kingsley as Mandarin" was all anyone knew back then. Incidentally though, reading about it I thought the twist was dumb, but the actual film handled it really well and of course Kingsley himself stole everyone's thunder.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

When Days of Future Past came out I was on holiday in London, had some downtime and thought, what the hell, let's see the movie. Now I'll be in London the week Age of Apocalypse opens. I guess I better pack the 3D glasses. How many times until I can't claim coincidence anymore and have to think of it as a cause/effect relation?

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

I think "peak human" just means "doesn't shoot energy beams or teleport or fly".

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Wanda: guys wait for meee

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Just got back from X-Men. Too many characters, too many plotlines. They didn't so much have a script as a checklist. Terrible waste of potential that could have been much better if they'd spent half as much effort on plotting the whole movie as on the Quicksilver scene.

When it came to the “third movie is always the worst“ quip I was like, wow, shaky ground.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Guy A. Person posted:

This sounds like most of the biggest complaints from both BvS and Civil War, so this might be right up my alley. How are the visuals/action scenes? I'm hoping to go 3 for 3 on big fun comic book movies so far this year! (Deadpool was good too but not as large in scope as the other 3)
Civil War is really much better at the ensemble cast thing that X-Men in both plot and action scenes. Quicksilver's big scene is outstanding though. Visuals are pretty good on the whole.

Mostly it reminds me of when studios used to cut a season of TV down to feature length for a theater release.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Grendels Dad posted:

The discrimination against Facebook-account-less people continues!
Don't worry, we can be collateral.

• Locked thread