Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Corek
May 11, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Gyges posted:

I don't think I've ever heard a cello shred.

Wasn't there a discussion about shredding violinists in CD a few days ago? Doesn't seem too far off.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Corek
May 11, 2013

by R. Guyovich
Compilation of Zack Snyder's shifting explanations for why Superman killed Zod:

http://io9.gizmodo.com/a-brief-history-of-zack-snyder-defending-the-end-of-man-1763888746

Corek
May 11, 2013

by R. Guyovich
That website might not be around much longer if Hulk Hogan has his way.

Corek fucked around with this message at 17:57 on Mar 10, 2016

Corek
May 11, 2013

by R. Guyovich

GonSmithe posted:

My favorite thing is that whenever comic book :spergin:s complain about movies, it usually has to do with how there's it's not canon and this would never happen and blah blah, but when Zach Snyder says he's following canon they flip out and act like it doesn't matter, it has to be done they way THEY want it.

Using their own word against them.

This is funny because io9 literally accuses Snyder of doing basically that too:

quote:

At this point, he’s given up using plot and story and sequels and mythology to justify it all. He’s even stopped dodging the issue of Zod. Snyder’s literally asking to see the geek card of everyone who has ever disagreed with him. He’s asking people to prove they’re real fans. “Tell me how many comics you’ve read. Well, I’ve read more, so my interpretation is more valid” is an argument that has never really worked.

Corek
May 11, 2013

by R. Guyovich
https://twitter.com/notjustmovies/status/707982472362008577

Corek
May 11, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Corek
May 11, 2013

by R. Guyovich
I was once told it's because the Marvel movies are feminine and the DC movies are aggressively masculine. Don't agree.

Corek
May 11, 2013

by R. Guyovich

computer parts posted:

I mean, I could maybe see that argument in 2013 when the only DC movies were :nolan: and Man of Steel but these days we have a Wonder Woman movie being shot while Black Widow is always the Bridesmaid and the other woman centered Marvel film is still TBA.

Corek
May 11, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Boob Marley posted:

I have never been rattled harder by anything in my life than this comment. Good god.

Took out the freshness column since that triggers people.

You forgot the MIB movies. You also forgot to make a good chart

Corek
May 11, 2013

by R. Guyovich

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

Exactly. All these MCU movies (save for Cap 1) are about horribly depressed people who make jokes in order to deal with the fact that everything sucks and there's no hope.

"I got low. I didn't see an end, so I put a bullet in my mouth..."

https://twitter.com/BBW_BFF/status/707978757299003392

Corek
May 11, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Yaws posted:

I follow her but I can't help but roll my eyes at stuff like this. I woulda loved Marvel movies when I was like 12.

(i kinda do too, but I just saw it and thought it would be funny. Movies aren't depressing)

Corek
May 11, 2013

by R. Guyovich
Drew McWeeny has an special, inexplicable hatred for the DC movies. Recently he put out loads of propaganda pieces about how DC management is allegedly disappointed in BVS and Justice League would be canceled, and then had to backtrack once the Justice League filming start date was actually moved to be sooner. This indicates great faith in the next 3 DC movies at least, but McWeeny had to reframe it about how BVS GONNA BOMB AND RUIN EVERYTHING. It's a desperate attempt to make his fan-whining come true and vindicate him.

Corek fucked around with this message at 04:05 on Mar 12, 2016

Corek
May 11, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Corek
May 11, 2013

by R. Guyovich
Movies are good

Corek
May 11, 2013

by R. Guyovich

soapgish posted:

Bad children's humor and ugly, jittery animation the bulk of which was built around not characters but brands? Yeah, I would be shocked if any hoi polloi didn't like it.

This is a devastating own on Foodfight, as the lego movie is none of these things

Corek
May 11, 2013

by R. Guyovich

TetsuoTW posted:

Yeah that sounds totally fine, tastes are tastes. Soapgish's arguments sound like they're aimed at a completely different movie though. Like I think they accidentally bought the Brazilian CGI knockoff from the supermarket.

Threshold, the studio that made Foodfight, now makes low-budget straight-to-video lego movies.

Corek
May 11, 2013

by R. Guyovich

HorseRenoir posted:

Ike Perlmutter owns Marvel Comics and was once in charge of the film division before Feige booted him off. He's notorious for being a weirdo conservative rear end in a top hat, to the point where almost no photos of him exist on the internet.

This is the only photo extant online of him, taken 30 years ago:

All the other Google Images results are of Alan Horn or Kevin Feige or Stan Lee.

Corek
May 11, 2013

by R. Guyovich
The Civil War embargo is being lifted despite it being a month away. Disney must be confident that reviews will be good.

Corek
May 11, 2013

by R. Guyovich

broken clock opsec posted:

Platform shoes and camera angles, son. Like with Bane in TDKR.

Well, if Joss Whedon knew how to use camera angles, anyway.

Corek
May 11, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

The interesting thing to me is (very mild spoiler) There is apparently not a major outside villain in the movie. No Hydra false flag.

Hehe, some people here and elsewhere were SURE that this wouldn't be the case and Marvel would take the easy way out.

Corek
May 11, 2013

by R. Guyovich

But, going further, what is an executive going to do when they are ultimately beholden to the shareholders, market forces, etc.? The ultimate problem is capitalism, and you're not going to fix that by spamming anybody's twitter.

But these movies DON'T make money?

https://twitter.com/TheNerdsofColor/status/721430734603436034

https://twitter.com/TheNerdsofColor/status/721431668188450817

https://twitter.com/NerdyAsians/status/721431835373244416

Corek fucked around with this message at 00:33 on Apr 17, 2016

Corek
May 11, 2013

by R. Guyovich

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

Back to AccountSupervisor's point somewhat, it doesn't seem like those movies would have been magically been successes if only they had used "correct" races. I feel like I'm stating the obvious when I say that, but that seems to be the point that they are arguing.

Yeah, that is one thing I thought about - those are not great movies to most people. I'm just wondering about the source of this problem.

Corek
May 11, 2013

by R. Guyovich

It also seems unlikely that Gods Of Egypt failed because of twitter boycotts.

The point of the tweets are that the boycott DIDN'T work, because even though the movies failed, Hollywood learned nothing.

Corek fucked around with this message at 00:45 on Apr 17, 2016

Corek
May 11, 2013

by R. Guyovich

True Cyberpunk

Corek
May 11, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Goffer posted:

Those casualty numbers are really really low, even George Bush Junior did better, let alone hitler or stalin.

Someone should really revoke his name and call him inconvenience-man, he ain't bringing the apocalypse.

Barely anyone lived on the planet in those days

Corek
May 11, 2013

by R. Guyovich
Do kids today even know about Power Rangers?

Corek
May 11, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Corek
May 11, 2013

by R. Guyovich

The MSJ posted:

Marvel did a survey and found out that an "overwhelming" number of respondents wants a Black Widow movie. I'm honestly surprised it's not happening sooner (maybe because Perlmutter was in charge?).

Perlmutter was definitely responsible. The Sony hack revealed emails of him arguing against it:

Isaac Perlmutter posted:

Michael,

As we discussed on the phone, below are just a few examples. There are more.

Thanks,

Ike

1. Electra (Marvel) – Very bad idea and the end result was very, very bad. http://www.boxofficemojo.com/movies/?id=elektra.htm

2. Catwoman (WB/DC) – Catwoman was one of the most important female character within the Batmanfranchise. This film was a disaster. http://www.boxofficemojo.com/movies/?id=catwoman.htm

3. Supergirl – (DC) Supergirl was one of the most important female super hero in Superman franchise. This Movie came out in 1984 and did $14 million total domestic with opening weekend of $5.5 million. Again, another disaster.

https://wikileaks.org/sony/emails/emailid/121981

Corek fucked around with this message at 01:18 on May 4, 2016

Corek
May 11, 2013

by R. Guyovich

HIJK posted:

Rich loser with no friends. Make it the Black Widow/Agent Carter buddy cop movie we've all been waiting for.

I still like trotting out the fact that the only publicly known photo of Perlmutter is from 1985.

Corek
May 11, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Harime Nui posted:

TTG being a roaring success and having more money than they could possibly need to make their 10 minute shorts in the face of every fan between the ages of 17 and 35 baying for its blood is so great.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dgmLYtDvAa4

The recent one where they become slumlords is the best one because it's in response to those people demanding a lesson.

Corek
May 11, 2013

by R. Guyovich
Richard Donner and especially his wife Lauren Shuler Donner have literally been producing all the X-Men movies. Nobody cared.

Corek
May 11, 2013

by R. Guyovich
Marvel has literally just debuted a Deadpool spinoff, Gwenpool, who is actually a teenage girl (and an alternate Gwen Stacy).

Corek
May 11, 2013

by R. Guyovich

There's a part in TSPDT top-1000 movie When We Were Kings where George Plimpton compliments Mussolini's appearance while calling Mobutu (and all non-Mussolini dictators) ugly.

Corek
May 11, 2013

by R. Guyovich

TetsuoTW posted:

Wait so does Agents of Shield actually tie into the MCU in an actual meaningful way now or something?

It actually ties less than ever before, now that the Inhumans movie was removed. This could have something to do with Ike Perlmutter being removed from oversight of the films but retaining it over TV.

Corek
May 11, 2013

by R. Guyovich
At the end of that episode the best the space racist can manage is that she was "one of the good ones".

Corek
May 11, 2013

by R. Guyovich

GonSmithe posted:

!!!
God drat

https://twitter.com/brielarson/status/757042695537774592

Corek
May 11, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Yoshifan823 posted:

Suicide Squad and The Hulk are apparently complete opposites.

Boob Marley 2.0

Corek
May 11, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Myth: Batman doesn't poop.

Reality: Everybody poops.

Kevin Smith once wrote a comic where he made Batman piss himself during a Frank Miller scene

Smith said to his critics that this happens to any firefighter who feels a sudden wave of heat. It would have already been Canon.

Corek
May 11, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Halloween Jack posted:

Yeah, it turns out that tights are actually the least flattering garment for the kind of body that people want Batman to have. Hence every male superhero needs a muscle suit, even Christian Bale and Chris Evans.

Exhibit A:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Corek
May 11, 2013

by R. Guyovich
Zhou linked to this response video on his twitter, which I (and he) thinks is even better than his original.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UcXsH88XlKM

It's really good. He shows that temp music is not new, quotes Adorno on originality, goes in on how general situational themes are reused by composers, and finally demonstrates how Hans Zimmer is part of this unhummable music trend through his musical landscapes.

• Locked thread